Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yester wrote: »
    Black shoes. White socks. Oh yeah!

LOL. Not just black shoes and white socks, they were black slip-on shoes and white sports socks! I clearly remember many of the young fellas dressing like they had just stepped off the set of Miami Vice - pastel coloured suits with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows and those awful slip-on shoes and white socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I was a teenager in the early 80's, I remember the world was a bit edgy with the Troubles and Cold War always in the news. When The Day After film came out it frightened the bejayzes out of everybody and we talked about it for weeks. Thanks god for Gorby, he quickly sorted things out.

Everybody I knew didn't have much money so there was never any splashing on fancy clothes or going out of the country on holidays. My holidays consisted of going to my uncles farm for a week. Even the one time we went to London in 1983 we stayed at one of my uncles. Thankfully my dad(a carpenter) didn't have the misfortune of being laid off unlike a lot of other people's fathers I knew. A lot of young people emigrated not because it was a "fun experience" or had a J1, they had no job and no prospect of a job.

Things started to get about 1988/89.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adgib

Being able to smoke on the upper deck of a bus, on the way to work, you could hardly see through the smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The 70s was a mini boom wasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adgib

And also the bus conductor on the fiddle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Im glad I wasnt a 20something in the 70s 80s. As a gay man I was shunned by society, at a high risk of aids and if was killed by local youths queer bashing, sure didnt I deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:
    And yet according to some on AH, it is a time we need to go back to. A happier time, a simpler time without such things as money or prospects or hope there to worry us.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was born halfway through the 70s so except for 1978/79 I have no memories of the decade.

I was a kid in the 80s and it was a sh*tty decade - I and my sisters were very lucky to be fairly well to do but I was aware of how fortunate I was as poverty, deprivation and misery was everywhere.

Every evening on the news another factory closing down, sky high unemoloyment - both my older sisters ended up emigrating. It was bleak. The Troubles tearing the North asunder. The cold war still on and that fear in the back of my childhood mind of nuclear war. Dublin city centre was half-derelict, rampant corruption, 3rd world infrastructure. Half of the cars on the road were complete bangers. A still very powerful church. The music was good though.

The 90s saw amazing changes happen and it was a great decade of come of age in.

Ireland was not in a good place back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

at a time when average industrial wage was about £500 per week before tax.

Was it fūck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I grew up in the 70s/80's but was very lucky in many ways. Middle class, suburbia type background. At least enough that my folks could save(The Ma™ was very good with money) to have yearly holidays abroad, Spain, France, England, Germany, Italy, with two goes to the US, with sometimes a second week in the West of Ireland. So I didn't really have much of a sense of a lack of anything TBH. I had a very happy childhood. The sense of things being pretty crap came when I left school in the mid 80's and a large percentage of my peers had to leave. And they were also suburban lads. What folks I knew who were less well off, they suffered much more. I do remember my folks being worried at times, but as I say I was lucky. I do clearly remember how quickly prices rose. Where things like kids comics near tripled in price and a can of coke went from around 5p to near 50p between my junior school and the leaving cert.

Beyond the nostalgia which inevitably creeps into these things(which I dislike) and the fact that childhood is more often than not insulated from the fears around, I would say that social stresses were lesser for my generation than those today. There was more freedom to roam. Most of us walked or cycled to school(I only remember one lad in my year who regularly got driven) and we weren't attached to our parents hips by phones and the like. We were more outside kids). The teenage years were lived in smaller terms in smaller groups and were more "innocent". Not always for good of course. Though looking back it's crazy how daftly ignorant/innocent of things like sex we were. The vast majority of my peers at 18 men and women would have been virgins.

However you were free to be a complete gobshite learning how to grow up without any notion of it being made a wider public thing on the interwebs. Memories were shorter. There were fewer isolated kids too. Fewer opportunities to hide away, though fewer avenues for help too I suppose. There were social pressures alright, but again they seemed much smaller than kids today often face. Consumerism was present of course, but not to the degree or rapid turnover of today. Even with well off kids pocket money was feck all, so the fashion/stuff arms race was smaller. That stuff came at you much more slowly. As did life and growing up in general.

Like I said though, I lived in leafy suburban Dublin with "piped TV" and access to stuff that kids my age in say the countryside didn't. I did notice that on holidays to the Wesht and the like. There was a delay of sorts in music and films and TV, if they had it) was RTE. In essence I was pretty protected looking back. Which I remain grateful for.
    FatherTed wrote: »
    I was a teenager in the early 80's, I remember the world was a bit edgy with the Troubles and Cold War always in the news. When The Day After film came out it frightened the bejayzes out of everybody and we talked about it for weeks.
    :D I remember that. A few years back I got a poster for the German release of the flic for a song on ebay. A tenner. Had to have it. :D The Cold War TV stuff freaked me out, especially the British ones Threads and When the Wind Blows. They looked more like "here".

Threads.

The first bombs land...

I do remember being really freaked out when the Soviets shot down the civilian Jumbo 007. I was on holidays with my folks in Spain at the time and the vibe was a bit subdued among the adults in the hotel we were staying in. Being Irish there was an element of "ah sure feck all would land on us", which made us less fearful I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Try_harder wrote: »
    The 70s was a mini boom wasnt it?

Up until the oil crisis of 1973/74 things were going well but the second half of the decade was not so good - high inflation, interest rates, disastrous economic policies that set us up for the sh*tty 80s . It was a decade of 2 halves I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I was too busy trying to get a feel of Debbie Whelans arse.

well did you manage it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

squawker wrote: »
    well did you manage it or not?

I don't think he can admit to that or Debbie will be starting a #metoo thread :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Toddlers and grandad's were always drowning in barrels and rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was born halfway through the 70s so except for 1978/79 I have no memories of the decade.

I was a kid in the 80s and it was a sh*tty decade - I and my sisters were very lucky to be fairly well to do but I was aware of how fortunate I was as poverty, deprivation and misery was everywhere.

Every evening on the news another factory closing down, sky high unemoloyment - both my older sisters ended up emigrating. It was bleak. The Troubles tearing the North asunder. The cold war still on and that fear in the back of my childhood mind of nuclear war. Dublin city centre was half-derelict, rampant corruption, 3rd world infrastructure. Half of the cars on the road were complete bangers. A still very powerful church. The music was good though.

The 90s saw amazing changes happen and it was a great decade of come of age in.

Ireland was not in a good place back then.

You're about my age. I remember it very differently. I had an absolute blast. Health and safety hadn't been invented, rebelling against all the institutions and conservatism with like-minded friends was a great way to grow up, challenging the status quo.

I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I was thinking about some 70s/80s things recently and was browsing some teletext pages extracted from old VHS recordings. If you lived in an area with "piped" TV or you had a huge aerial on your roof AND you had a TV with a teletext decoder (my family only got one in 1991), this was your "internet" in 1989.

http://www.uniquecodeanddata.co.uk/teletext76/bbc1-19881029/

If this was around today I'd still use it :)

Good old teletext. I used to love playing bamboozle, think it was on the utv one. It was easy to cheat though because it took a few seconds to load you could press each colour quickly and see what the page number was, the odd one out was the right answer. Simpler times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Toddlers and grandad's were always drowning in barrels and rivers.

John, did you put the cat out?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Good old teletext. I used to love playing bamboozle, think it was on the utv one. It was easy to cheat though because it took a few seconds to load you could press each colour quickly and see what the page number was, the odd one out was the right answer. Simpler times :D

I think it was channel 4 teletext that bamboozle was on and it was during the 90s. I used to cheat too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I was born in 1970 so experienced these decades as a child/teen. Most cities were run down, alot of old buildings about to fall down. Very few people had any money. 3 meals a day - if you got hungry between meals it was bread and jam or sugar sandwiches. No sweets unless Granny gave you money after mass on Sunday. No one went on foreign holidays but lots of families would spend the day at the local river. Hundreds and hundreds of people would show up for family fun days and community events - this was in the suburbs.
    Most of the mothers were at home full time and most houses didn't have a car in the 70's but did in the 80's.
    As kids we were outside most of the time cycling around, playing tag and making forts to hang out in. At home we watched tv in 2 channel land or played hide and seek, pillow fights in the dark or blind man's bluff in the dark.
    There were alot of strikes and power cuts were regular enough.
    I remember being cold cause we wouldn't have enough money for oil.
    Travellers would call to the door for old clothes or a "sup of milk for the child.
    We'd get clothes parcels from the relatives in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Well they did ask us in the referendums. But running your own currency isn't all sweetness and light either: don't you remember the currency crisis in 1992/1993?

At that time a £75,000 mortgage over 20 years would have cost you almost £900 a month at a time when average industrial wage was about £500 per week before tax. I was a bit young but I think interest rate went as high as 25% for deposits around that time.

I started a retail business in 1987 and a pair of Levi's 501s was about £60 - £65. For most young people that would have been almost as much as their weekly take-home pay.

• Advertisement

You're about my age. I remember it very differently. I had an absolute blast. Health and safety hadn't been invented, rebelling against all the institutions and conservatism with like-minded friends was a great way to grow up, challenging the status quo.

I loved it.

Don't get me wrong. I had a largely happy childhood myself but so many others didn't. I was also aware that the 80s were not really a great time to be an adult in Ireland - real money worries for nearly everyone except the kleptocratacy, and pretty bad - especially if you were a woman or gay or in any way "different."

Unemployment, economic insecurity, rampant alcoholism, sexual frustration, rampant clerical child abuse etc made for many many unhappy childhoods.

As recently as 1988 the ESRI and OECD estimated that about 45% of Irish children lived in consistent poverty. Take a moment to think about that...

Big Nasty wrote: »
    John, did you put the cat out?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

nullzero wrote: »
    Pretty drab and depressing, not like the world we saw in American movies of the time where everything seemed an awful lot better, probably why people still clung to anything American back then.

Something people often don't realise, and I didn't realise it at the time, is that movies aren't just escapism for us, they're escapism for Americans too. I mean Ferris Bueller's Day Off with a synthesizer to play a coughing sound and his friend's da owning a Ferrari, fantasy land stuff in the 80s for 99% of Americans.
    Oh and smog from the coal fires in the winter, hard to believe how smokey the air was in a relatively modern era, all changed in the early 90's with smokeless coal and people relying more on their central heating.

It was horrific in the late 80s, I have asthma and I used to be gasping on the onset of every winter because I lived in a suburb where most people were relatively poor and burned coal in open fires. Then I left school and went to college in Kevin St which was slap bang in the only part of Dublin which was polluted even worse. The first year 88/89 wasn't so bad but in the winter 89/90 it was colder and there was a thermal inversion trapping the smog, you literally couldn't see from one end of a corridor to the other due to the smog. Indoors. The ban cleared the air overnight, FF had resisted doing it for years because of their usual pandering to vested interests. It meant I could play sports for the first time without gasping :mad:

Does anyone remember the TV ads in the 80s telling us how great coal was? And it used to be all over the Dublin buses in the 70s and 80s, "Coal Cat", "Coal is cheapest". While this product was strangling the inhabitants of our city, making life a misery for tens of thousands, and killing off thousands of pensioners each year before their time.

461315.png

461316.png

Life ain't always empty.

Bonzo wants to go out Dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Something people often don't realise, and I didn't realise it at the time, is that movies aren't just escapism for us, they're escapism for Americans too. I mean Ferris Bueller's Day Off with a synthesizer to play a coughing sound and his friend's da owning a Ferrari, fantasy land stuff in the 80s for 99% of Americans.

It was horrific in the late 80s, I have asthma and I used to be gasping on the onset of every winter because I lived in a suburb where most people were relatively poor and burned coal in open fires. Then I left school and went to college in Kevin St which was slap bang in the only part of Dublin which was polluted even worse. The first year 88/89 wasn't so bad but in the winter 89/90 it was colder and there was a thermal inversion trapping the smog, you literally couldn't see from one end of a corridor to the other due to the smog. Indoors. The ban cleared the air overnight, FF had resisted doing it for years because of their usual pandering to vested interests. It meant I could play sports for the first time without gasping :mad:

Does anyone remember the TV ads in the 80s telling us how great coal was? And it used to be all over the Dublin buses in the 70s and 80s, "Coal Cat", "Coal is cheapest". While this product was strangling the inhabitants of our city, making life a misery for tens of thousands, and killing off thousands of pensioners each year before their time.

461315.png

461316.png

Don't think people realise that coal is only banned in Dublin so far. Still burning it like mad down the country. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Being of "Piped TVLand" the one I remember as a kid that gave me the chills was this one from UKLand.

Donald Pleasance does the voiceover. Donald effin Pleasance. As a creepy monk of the waters. Jaysus. :eek::D Even today if I'm climbing a tree or using a branch for support(don't ask...), in my head I still hear "this branch won't hold his weight". Musta worked then.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gyalist wrote: »
    I started a retail business in 1987 and a pair of Levi's 501s was about £60 - £65. For most young people that would have been almost as much as their weekly take-home pay.
    Levis 501's were about €40 in 1986. I earned €50 per week then and remember buying a pair in Talbot Street and being delighted with myself!

1970's - every woman over the age of 30 didn't leave the house without a headscarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:

Grey, delapidated, hopeless.

What was it like? How did you get by without internets, wheelie bins, toilets...?

Would you go back if you could??

*Might as well throw in the 70's too for people of that vintage.

I'd go back. Had some great times there. But then, I was a visitor - on holiday. I didn't have to make a living there.

Lower expectations, holidays abroad were unheard of etc

Yes lower expectations, but for the well to do upper middle class holidays abroad became commonplace in the early 1970s. So no, not unheard of.

Hand me down clothes in the 1980s were very much the norm back then. I grew up in a comfortable middle class suburban household and hand me downs were part of my clothing wardrobe.

My parents were worried about money matters a lot in the 80s. My late mam would always fret over the shopping bill at Quinnsworths (now Tesco) and how the price of everything was going up. Utility and phone bills were another worry.

You see, in real terms goods and most services were much more expensive in relation to incomes which were much much lower than today. Credit was hard to come by so for holidays and luxuries now taken for granted, you had to save. A dishwasher or video recorder or even a microwave was a luxury item. A cooker or fridge would often cost several months' salary of a middle class 1980s Irish household - a middle class that was much smaller than now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Video cassettes

Just two channels on tv (unless you had multichannel, or satellite TV)

no Kindle, just regular books

Advertisement