Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

We used to get sandwiches (and buns one day a week) in primary school, as well as a 1/3 pint bottle of milk every day.

Was this just because I was in a poor area or did everyone get this?

Yep, me too. It was certain deprived parts of Dublin anyway. cheese on Monday, corned beef Tuesday, bun Wednesday, cheese again Thursday or sometimes just butter and jam on Friday. Dropped of about 11am and often left out in the sun until lunchtime. 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm just watching this. I know it's not Irish but it's interesting. It's the last episode of Tomorrow's world from the 70's. They look back over the stuff they covered in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

dieselbug wrote: »
    Not sure if someone has already mentioned it but.....

Hill Street Blue's A really good show

"be careful out there"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqH3qCxz2x0

I remember this better....

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Was it hard to get the sandwiches into the milk bottle?
    Even harder to get them out.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Highway to Heaven - an angel in human form helping people on Earth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Klackers, lethal and a hazard to ESB lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

tringle wrote: »
    Yep, me too. It was certain deprived parts of Dublin anyway. cheese on Monday, corned beef Tuesday, bun Wednesday, cheese again Thursday or sometimes just butter and jam on Friday. Dropped of about 11am and often left out in the sun until lunchtime. 70s

we got them in rathfarnham. Someone made a lot of money out of supplying them I would guess.

Squashed flat sandwiches in soggy bread,, the jam one were particularly bad.
    Bun day Wednesday was to be looked forward to always liked the buns. the milk i remember always had lots of cream and in the winter was ice cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

we got them in rathfarnham. Someone made a lot of money out of supplying them I would guess.

Squashed flat sandwiches in soggy bread,, the jam one were particularly bad.
    Bun day Wednesday was to be looked forward to always liked the buns. the milk i remember always had lots of cream and in the winter was ice cold.

From memory in the 70s/early 80s.

Monday - Cheese sandwich.
    Tuesday - Corned Beef sandwich.
    Wednesday - Cheese sandwich.
    Thursday - A Bun with currants and stuff.
    Friday - A jam sandwich.

All with a bottle of milk that could be room temp or cold, but always had lots of cream on top under the foil cap. It was normal for me despite having a home made lunch. When I changed schools for 4th class, it disappeared like a fart in a breeze. Some how I ended up in a school in a better area apparently.:rolleyes: Then we could get small cartons of milk in school with a straw, if we paid a monthly fee. That complete transfer of educational options was across Finglas, a dodgey part of Clondalkin and then Clondalkin village which was still desperately trying to cling on to respectability despite being surrounded by recently built social housing. Mad times in all respects!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm just watching this. I know it's not Irish but it's interesting. It's the last episode of Tomorrow's world from the 70's. They look back over the stuff they covered in the 70's.

The bit about Presstel and the very early rumblings of what was to become the interwebs they got kinda right. Concorde was sadly a dead end and to be fair they pointed out the whys. It became successful for a time because they upped the fairs. Side story on that: When they were deciding what the fairs should become someone had the brainwave of noting that many were big shots and company directors who didn't book their own tickets. So they went to them directly and asked how much they though the tickets were and they thought they were quite a bit more expensive than they were at the time. So they increased the price accordingly. I'd agree with them that Concorde was an incredible achievement. When some Concorde engineers ended up in Florida for some conference or other, they met with guys and gals who had engineered the Apollo missions and they were in awe of the Concorde guys and gals and reckoned while Apollo was a helluva leap, engineering a passenger plane to do Mach 2 safely, while serving champagne and lobster at 35,000 feet plus and doing this as a regular everyday paying service was harder.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

fryup wrote: »
    i got a sugar addiction from them....ended going to rebab

On the whole sugar thing Lucozade came in a glass bottle and was for sick people

I'm not sure when they discovered the fortunes to be made from mass marketing in every Spar & Centra in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mikemac2 wrote: »
    On the whole sugar thing Lucozade came in a glass bottle and was for sick people

I'm not sure when they discovered the fortunes to be made from mass marketing in every Spar & Centra in the country

1985. Still in a glass bottle then! (not the same as the big glass bottles with the orangey wrapper people used to bring into hospitals though. And grapes. For some reason it was an accepted fact that sick people needed to eat lots of grapes.)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

1985. Still in a glass bottle then! (not the same as the big glass bottles with the orangey wrapper people used to bring into hospitals though. And grapes. For some reason it was an accepted fact that sick people needed to eat lots of grapes.)

One of the best songs of the 80s........Phantom Of The Opera by Iron Maiden \M/

At petrol stations, you were given the petrol, as opposed to getting it yourself nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

branie2 wrote: »
    At petrol stations, you were given the petrol, as opposed to getting it yourself nowadays.

One of the nearest stations to me still has an attendant who does this (when not otherwise engaged).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

"And grapes. For some reason it was an accepted fact that sick people needed to eat lots of grapes.)"

And when you were in recovery, a small bottle of Guinness daily, for the iron content to build you back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You used to get a free pint of the black stuff after donating blood. With the reduced blood volume in your system, you'd get more of a buzz off of it :cool: it's a poor source of iron though

https://www.reference.com/health/much-iron-guinness-bf7a2e3af0741bed
    A good source of iron is considered to be between 10% and 20% of RDI. This means that, to be a good source of iron, a man would have to consume at least 27 glasses, a woman 60 and a pregnant woman 90 glasses of Guinness beer.

NB those figures are per day...

Life ain't always empty.

Perfect Strangers - Larry Appleton and his cousin Balki. Larry always had a crazy plan to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grandeeod wrote: »
    From memory in the 70s/early 80s.

Monday - Cheese sandwich.
    Tuesday - Corned Beef sandwich.
    Wednesday - Cheese sandwich.
    Thursday - A Bun with currants and stuff.
    Friday - A jam sandwich.
    Wasn't there one day of bread-and-butter sandwiches, no filling at all?

Corned beef was definitely the highlight of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

And Tomato sandwiches... with loads of salt!
    And Banana sandwiches... with loads of sugar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Grapes help to prevent/relieve constipation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I had this horrible recollection yesterday, of a dental or public health nurse coming to our school in the 70s, and giving us all a vile mouthwash.
    We had to swish it around our mouths for what seemed like hours before spitting it out.
    To this day, I can remember it all too vividly, yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

used to love visiting anyone in hospital purely fir an offer of a drink of lucozade from the glass bottle with the orange wrapping. everything looked fun through it too (just realising how easily i was pleased in those days!!
    also, could live on banana sabdwiches with sugar and cups of tea - but that hasnt changed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I had this horrible recollection yesterday, of a dental or public health nurse coming to our school in the 70s, and giving us all a vile mouthwash.
    We had to swish it around our mouths for what seemed like hours before spitting it out.
    To this day, I can remember it all too vividly, yuk.

I remember that too! What the heck was that stuff. There was a horrible smell off it too. Not just a horrible taste. Hated the conical cups too. Seemed to enhance the vileness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have no recollection of a vile mouthwash but I do recall school visits from a nurse whose inspections included what can only be described as a bit of a rummage around the scrotum area! I remember it as more a source of amusement for us than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Azatadine wrote: »
    I remember that too! What the heck was that stuff. There was a horrible smell off it too. Not just a horrible taste. Hated the conical cups too. Seemed to enhance the vileness.

I am almost sure it was a flouride rinse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Daley Thompson. What a man. Wahat an athlete! I fancied him as a young lad! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A few months ago it was proposed the public health nurse and visiting doctor would weigh primary school children and give advice to parents on childhood obesity. A growing issue in Ireland. Certainly wasn't in 70's and 80's. Cue much outrage on Joe Duffy show and parents threatening to withdraw their children from school if this ever attempted. Sounds a bit precious to me but maybe people are more confident and questioning

Which brings me back to when we were lined up to meet the nurse and checked for head lice. If you had them you were given a slip of paper to bring home to the parents. They would get some industrial strength shampoo from the chemist which smelled like sheep dip. Probably was sheep dip tbh! The smell off that stuff would nearly knock you out.

Nobody questioned it, nobody thought it was humiliating to line up children and pick out those with nits. Different times :pac:

Do school kids still get their hair checked in school by the public health nurse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

People always talk about the power of the church in the 70’s and 80’s but the state was the second pillar, almost every industry of note was state owned and the vast majority of well paid jobs were working for the state. I saw a documentary about the county hall in Cork last month and the workers were reminiscing about sunbathing on the roof of the 17th floor, meanwhile Ford had shut its doors and the city was in the depths of a crippling recession. Two different worlds...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Don't recall no fillings. Corned beef was definitely the highlight of the week. A soggy room temperature sandwich that still managed to taste better than my homemade sandwich.:D I remember in first class a corned beef sandwich being left over after lunch. We were practicing singing for our communion. The teacher promised the leftover sandwich to whoever sang the best. The amount of lads singing their heads off to win that sandwich. It was funny yet years later I find it sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

:eek: Was there cupping?
    Have no recollection of a vile mouthwash but I do recall school visits from a nurse whose inspections included what can only be described as a bit of a rummage around the scrotum area! I remember it as more a source of amusement for us than anything else.

Advertisement