Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Digital controller kills it for me.

Interest on hold until analog controllers made work and I understand hackability

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭Inviere

eddhorse wrote: »
    Its gonna be 50hz too, isnt it, what a rip.
    The Japanese one has a good line up.
    Gonna have to buy all 3 of them.

Why buy three? Is the US one not the same as the PAL one but in 60Hz?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Half the list is a waste of time, plus I'd rather the first three Ridge Racer games instead of type4.
    No Wipeout 2097 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

No Gran Turismo, Castlevania or Wipeout games, I would have expected at least a couple of those to appear.
    Klonoa, Einhander or Tony Hawk's 2 would also have been a nice addition. I think I'll be cancelling my preorder looking at that lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Surprised not to see Gran Turismo considering it's an internal developer but I suppose the likes of Toyota don't want to be in current racing games and along with the soundtracks of that and Wipeout, probably makes licencing difficult.

Armored Core, Gradius and Parasite Eve on the Japanese console among a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Battle arena toshinden, twisted metal and destruction derby might be iconic but they aren't worth playing and hardly as iconic as wipeout

Destruction Derby I don't mind, not in the same league as WipeOut mind...disappointing list, debating whether to cancel or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Mod chip be cheaper than this

Won't be buying it PAL anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

No tomb raider did they not run there entire advertising campaign around that when it came out no crash bandicoot or wipeout I know everyone’s going to have there own game they think should be there and you can’t please everyone but I’m not a huge tomb raider fan and I still think it’s a game that goes hand in hand with PlayStation it’s like having an Xbox mini with out halo

I'm guessing games like wipe out and gran turismo may have fallen foul of music licensing rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm guessing games like wipe out and gran turismo may have fallen foul of music licensing rights

I already kind of assumed that for wipeout.

The list reads more like a YouTube fan list then 20 heavy hitters for the system

I already kind of assumed that for wipeout.

The list reads more like a YouTube fan list then 20 heavy hitters for the system

Exactly.

Tomb Raider does feel an odd omission as it was the face of PlayStation for a long time.

And no music rights concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Looks a poor line up if I'm honest and leaving out the dual shocks make it even poorer , The only way I'd buy this now is if we can hack it

Yeah feck it, preorder cancelled there. Garbage line up. RetroArch has me more than covered in this regard, and failing that, my Vita/Vita TV says hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

No Crash Bandicoot or Spyro either. Bizarre. I can't see this selling well

I'll ring Smyth's tomorrow and cancel mine I think, they don't let you cancel on the website at all it seems.
    Very weak list of games it has to be said. Rainbow six has no business being on a collection that's supposed to showcase the systems strengths, same with battle arena toshinden, they might as well have stuck on that star wars fighter.
    Destruction Derby is a waste of space on there too, the sequels were much improved, same with Twisted Metal.

I'd find it much easier to forgive the PS Classics transgressions if it wasn't €100

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tomb Raider will be on the Saturn Mini, that's where it debuted after all!

But, if it's hackable it'll be worth it, certainly I think we can all compile a better list of games, albeit all with different entries.
    I don't mind GTA either, that was loads of fun

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, if it's hackable it'll be worth it

Find a PSTV on <3.68 firmware, and that's something that's worth your money. Circa €100 or so for a system that'll work with DS3 controllers, pretty much ALL the PS1 games you want, compatibility with the vast majority of Vita games, compatibility with all the PSP games, and other systems too.

The PS Classic, really isn't worth it in comparison.

manual_man wrote: »
    No Crash Bandicoot or Spyro either. Bizarre. I can't see this selling well

I'm sure Activision and the remakes nixed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm sure Activision and the remakes nixed that

Perhaps. But there's just far too many big titles missing on this classic that would be a pull for the nostalgia factor. I'd say Sony will get a grilling in the games media for this. Over-priced and underwhelming lineup

manual_man wrote: »
    Perhaps. But there's just far too many big titles missing on this classic that would be a pull for the nostalgia factor. I'd say Sony will get a grilling in the games media for this. Over-priced and underwhelming lineup

They really should get a grilling over this. They're trying to compete with Nintendo's minis that in fairness to them set the bar quite high, but what Sony are offering is laughable by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'll be keeping mine. Ya the line up is pretty crap its not like I'd actually planned on playing it much anyway - it'll just end up on the shelf with the other mini/classics.

No doubt this will be hacked at some stage to allow you to changed the content..

Then it'll be a question of the available storage.
    NES and SNES games are only a few megabytes, with CD audio PS games could be a lot bigger.
    Unless there's a way to solder in an SD card holder we'll probably be limited to swapping out titles and stripping out the streaming audio to save space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

True, all these PS1 games are actually rather low on disc space. The biggest game there is FF7 and despite the 3 discs of the original game, the entire game code is on all three discs, only the videos change, so it would be easy to compress down to a smaller size.

I also wonder how they handle disc swapping if it is hacked. Koudelka is notorious for being copy proof because of one simple addition, you can't save at the disc swap screen meaning you can't access next disc unless it's original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    True, all these PS1 games are actually rather low on disc space. The biggest game there is FF7 and despite the 3 discs of the original game, the entire game code is on all three discs, only the videos change, so it would be easy to compress down to a smaller size.

I also wonder how they handle disc swapping if it is hacked. Koudelka is notorious for being copy proof because of one simple addition, you can't save at the disc swap screen meaning you can't access next disc unless it's original.

With emulation you won't need to rely on the games save mechanism, just snapshot the entire state.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I knew FFVII was spread across three discs due to the FMV content, but I didn't realise the whole code was actually on each this. That's pretty interesting.

Apparently if you're say, on disc 2 wandering around you can swap in disc 1 and the game will continue. It'll just play the wrong FMV sequence whenever you hit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No FPS ?
    Would have loved. Bit of doom or quake 2... I assumed Medal of Honor was going to be there

Yeah and the third disc of FF7 was only added at the last minute as they couldn't fit the last cutscene on disc 2.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Then it'll be a question of the available storage.
    NES and SNES games are only a few megabytes, with CD audio PS games could be a lot bigger.
    Unless there's a way to solder in an SD card holder we'll probably be limited to swapping out titles and stripping out the streaming audio to save space.

Theres a little dongle available for the Nintendo Minis that let you expand the storage via USB, can't see why it wouldn't work with the PS Classic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ENUF0Y/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=yt0-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B013ENUF0Y&linkId=a4f773ce3753f86421f29912f0424b2b

Advertisement