Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »

You're definitely on the right track there!

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/playstation-classic-is-using-the-open-source-pcsx-emulator-in-order-to-play-its-games

Unfortunately it's a case of manufactures being like water, taking the laziest / easiest path.

I'm a bit surprised at Sony though given their emulation on the Vita devices is so solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭fmul9798

So glad I cancelled my pre-order once I saw the games list. What a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Good thing about this using the PSX emulator is that should be easy to getting it working with Dual Shock controllers. Actually looking forward to it now to rip apart :)

Oh this get even better... apparently the US version is using PAL images. Such a miserable cash grab by Sony :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,282 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What??? haha! That's absolute madness.

Cant wait to see all the Americans wondering why their games are letterboxed and feel slower :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah whoever the outsourced this project too really didn't give a crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’ve clearly done the bare minimum to rush a product out cheaply to cash in on the buzz around Nintendo’s products. It’s embarrassing, but I wouldn’t be surprised sadly if it’s still a hit.

As I said before, I’d have happily paid an extra 50 quid over the current RRP for this if the game selection was better and the hardware less half-assed. But alas, half-assed it is... maybe even quarter-assed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh this get even better... apparently the US version is using PAL images. Such a miserable cash grab by Sony :(

The americans need a taste of our pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The worst thing is that these will still sell like hot cakes to the people that don't know any better.
    Poor show Sony, downloaded the wrong Rom set.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Cancelled my pre-order. Might look to pick up a Vita TV, but I can only see them going up in price now.
    cancelled mine as well , was looking forward to it but the lineup is so bad it'd never be used .
    I'm all about playing PS games in EMUvr these days anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This is beyond a joke at this stage. I can see this being a strong stocking filler unfortunately.

Hopefully cancelled preorders make a dent in their sales.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

So the fact that its a PAL images means that there’s a very high chance that there’s only 2 models of the classic made , a Japan one and a “Rest of World” one..which may explain why the lineup was so lackluster..let me explain:

The only reason I can think of to use PAL region versions is that they’re more likely to be multilingual..i.e. spanish/italian/french text etc -

Having just two versions of the console (japan and ‘rest of world’) makes sense from a money point of view as ts simpler to design and maintain(it’s a USB powered device so voltage not an issue , and HDMI so old PAL/SECAM/NTSC issues dont apply).

Maintaining one ‘Rest of World’ device would explain why the selection of games is so bad ..they had to clear the rights to games nearly worldwide , rather than just in the US or EU etc..(e.g it’s easier to use mostly first party games than persuede Konami to allow them use SOTN worldwide , and even then the likes of Wipeout’s soundtrack would make a worldwide licence a nightmare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Just before i cancel my order, is there a chance this will be modded like the nes and we'll get other games?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Probably, I cancelled mine last week though as well, Cant justify the price tag if its not up to the standard of the NES\SNES Minis. If its as bad as it sounds Id say there will be some good price drops on it after christmas, no way id pay what its currently at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

Peatys wrote: »
    Just before i cancel my order, is there a chance this will be modded like the nes and we'll get other games?

It'll be hacked to within an inch of its life, and hugely improved upon by bedroom coders. That's how bad of a job Sony have done here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So this looks like it's not even worth it if it's hacked. There's performance issues in games and added frame pacing issues. The 50hz titles are a total disaster.

I find it bizarre how this console keeps getting worse. I thought the ****ty game list was bottom of the barrel but PAL games for the worldwide edition is something else altogether.
    Looking forward to DF getting the video up now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown

The hardware looks to be more that adequate for the job, Quad-core ARM coupled with 16GB storage and 1GB RAM. Hopefully as much detail went into the security as to the software....

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown

The hardware looks to be more that adequate for the job, Quad-core ARM coupled with 16GB storage and 1GB RAM. Hopefully as much detail went into the security as to the software....

I'd say once hacked, it'll be improved upon as a product quite significantly. Still not worth the asking price.

sugarman wrote: »
    Id say there will be a Retroarch build for it in the future which will be a significant improvement.. but as you said, not worth the asking. You can get better spec'd android boxes for less than €20.

Ya its not particularly good value at the moment, but saying that Pi 3+ with a pair of decent controllers (not the €5 ****e SNES clones) and a good case (not 3d printed crap) and you're not far off €100 I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Ya its not particularly good value at the moment, but saying that Pi 3+ with a pair of decent controllers (not the €5 ****e SNES clones) and a good case (not 3d printed crap) and you're not far off €100 I'd imagine.

Plus psu, plus memory card...yeah, fair point. I'd two preorders in, I cancelled the Amazon one, half tempted to pick up the Smyths one though because I know the thing will be cracked wide open, and everyone will be having fun getting to to all but make tea and toast :o

So no one else excited then about running out to drop €100 on this barely disguised turd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Well, this video sure makes it difficult to want to :P

I actually do still want this though for the collectable aspect of it. It's just a shame I'd be supporting their easy profit for a half assed attempt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭phily2002

sugarman wrote: »
    I have until tomorrow to collect my preorder and Im still in 2 minds, I mean it looks great and will be a nice collectable but not €100 nice.

The boot up screens and menus look great and the hardware is decent enough. Its just the emulator choice. If/when its hacked and a port of Retroarch or similar is ported, it'll have great potential.

Seems be plenty of stock available pretty much everywhere too, could prob sit on it and watch it fall to €50-60 before picking it up.. seeing how the hacking pans out too.

Yeah I'm the same, Smyth's took the 100 off me already(don't think they did that with the nes or SNES) but think I'll leave it for now. It's just a pity they put so little effort into it. Could have been awesome...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,282 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have we all just been trolled by Sony ? :Eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So... What will this mean?
    Running games at NTSC speeds and full screen?
    Installing your own games?
    What about mounting storage?

Only works with a few specific model keyboards though so far, shouldn't be long before its more useful :)

Had a bash of R4, its not great ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So... What will this mean?
    Running games at NTSC speeds and full screen?
    Installing your own games?
    What about mounting storage?

According to someone on ao translating something from resetera the 60hz is just some frame duplicating **** up forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38627&start=60
    The hole thing just doesn't sound like the base unit is even worth it at this so far

• Advertisement

Booting custom image with extra game added.

https://youtu.be/76r1erSP9ms

Advertisement