Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jamal Khashoggi disappearance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

glasso wrote: »
    a bit more cerebral than Tom Clancy.

Mark Twain

that sounds a lot more plausible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

wexie wrote: »
    I don't think he's actually that stupid, but plenty of his electorate are easily stupid enough to believe it....cause the president says so and he surely wouldn't lie to us would he?

Least we now know he was killed, not abducted. Trump speculating about rogue killers confirms that.

Saudi royal ordered the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So it's appears that the Saudis are going to admit to the killing during a "botched interrogation."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Least we now know he was killed, not abducted. Trump speculating about rogue killers confirms that.

Saudi royal ordered the hit.

I know it's trump but rogue killers got into a consulate in instanbul and killed someone and then left ? If you were to believe that you'd have to ask how bad the security is there.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So it's appears that the Saudis are going to admit to the killing during a "botched interrogation."

mmm where they botched him over the head repeatedly and botched up his body into little pieces afterwards.

wonder why they needed such a large team including a forensic cleaner-upper if they were only going to "interrogate" him.

horesh1t of the highest order.

major embarrassment politically that they have been snared.

backwards place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Did Turks not claim he was chopped up by a bone saw?

What the source for that info?

Did Turks not claim he was chopped up by a bone saw?

What the source for that info?

probably high-pitched buzzing and bone-cutting sounds from their recording bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That's what makes the most sense to me. However, I'd have seen it as a botched interrogation pursuant to a kidnapping rather than a botched interrogation alone. I'd say the original intention had been to kidnap him and bring him back to KSA (hence the 2 private jets using different routes back), and they FUBAR'd it.

Mossad these guys were not!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    That's what makes the most sense to me. However, I'd have seen it as a botched interrogation pursuant to a kidnapping rather than a botched interrogation alone. I'd say the original intention had been to kidnap him and bring him back to KSA (hence the 2 private jets using different routes back), and they FUBAR'd it.

Mossad these guys were not!

how were they going to get him out of the country though - he'd still have to clear some sort of immigration in Turkey to get him on a jet. plan was to interrogate, torture and kill him all along I would say.

you don't bring a bone saw to an attempted kidnapping!!!!

And if the focus was kidnapping just get on with it and don't do an interrogation in a foreign country.

the "botched" bit was getting snared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

how were they going to get him out of the country though - he'd still have to clear some sort of immigration in Turkey to get him on a jet. plan was to interrogate, torture and kill him all along I would say.

you don't bring a bone saw to an attempted kidnapping!!!!

And if the focus was kidnapping just get on with it and don't do an interrogation in a foreign country.

the "botched" bit was getting snared.

Well, we'll see how the story develops over the next day or so... If the Saudis do admit that he was killed in a botched interrogation, then they will have to produce his body, intact and without a saw mark thereon. If they don't/can't produce an intact body, then clearly, the latest spin is just that.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Well, we'll see how the story develops over the next day or so... If the Saudis do admit that he was killed in a botched interrogation, then they will have to produce his body, intact and without a saw mark thereon. If they don't/can't produce an intact body, then clearly, the latest spin is just that.
    Well....ehm....yes, we're really sorry about that. It was an inexperienced hit interrogation team, they panicked and decided to get rid of the body.

Rest assured we will make absolutely certain that they will not be able to speak to anybody lest the truth comes out remain unpunished.

We are truly sorry and will make sure the widow is adequately compensated.

It's only a bare faced lie if it can be proven it's a bare faced lie innit?

Mohammed bin Salman = M B S = Mr Bone Saw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Saudi Arabia preparing to admit Khashoggi is dead, they will claim it was during interrogation that went wrong.

Yeah it went wrong as there had been a large international backlash to a crime the Saudis thought they could get away with...and probably will like they are with their war.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Saudi's had 'only' planned to abduct him.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia preparing to admit Khashoggi is dead, they will claim it was during interrogation that went wrong.

Yeah it went wrong as there had been a large international backlash to a crime the Saudis thought they could get away with...and probably will like they are with their war.

yes the war in Yemen is worse but at least this exposes them more even due to the international media interest in the story.

but (oil) money talks unfortunately.

delighted for the fookers that they have had to backtrack in front of the world though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

It will be some craic if MBS buys Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If they are going to partially bite the bullet with "he died during interrogation" spiel how are they going to explain the (allegedly) chopped up body when it's required for burial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

RobertKK wrote: »

Of course. Pompeo has already thanked the Saudi King in advance of a 'transparent' investigation so all is well. Mr Khassoggi will most likely be forgotten and it will be BUSINESS as usual with the Saudis.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2018/10/16/US-Secretary-of-State-Pompeo-lands-in-Riyadh-for-talks-with-Saudi-officials.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    If they are going to partially bite the bullet with "he died during interrogation" spiel how are they going to explain the (allegedly) chopped up body when it's required for burial

They will claim it's been "lost" and the person who last had the body mysteriously died of a heart attack or some other lie.

Dohnjoe wrote: »

I think they'd probably have to start with what caused him to die during an interrogation. Most people don't die when they are sitting at a table being questioned.

Unless of course they're happy to admit to using somewhat shady methods during the interrogation? Or perhaps the aul 'the pressure got to him and he had a massive heart attack'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I suppose an autopsy is out of the question.

Apparently the Turkish police have found some evidence....

Be interesting to see how the US will react if there is hard evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

wexie wrote: »
    Apparently the Turkish police have found some evidence....

Be interesting to see how the US will react if there is hard evidence.
    At least it happened in a country noted for supporting human rights and freedom of the press.
    What would happen if it was a country where journalists are locked up, minorities like the Kurds are gassed and the army is the poeer behind the President

Apparently the Saudis are set to scapegoat a general for going rogue on this operation.

The consensus seems to be that this is total bS. The rogue here is Mr bone saw, MBS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The lying here has been on a crazy scale, even for Trump. It's absolutely obvious what happened but they're trying to spin it as if this was some rogue operation. The Saudis were testing the waters yesterday with the "We only wanted to torture him" spin. While that might fly in a barbaric country line Saudi Arabia, it was never going to fly in the civilised world.

The behaviour of Turkey has been interesting. They've been releasing more and more information which has been contradicting the Saudi and US narrative. I'm not sure what their game is here. Maybe they don't like MBS and want regime-change? They're certainly not helping him cover it up. There were reports last night and today that a two minute audio segment of the event got released to some press organisations but it hasn't been made public yet. I'm assuming that that they have the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

According to the Turkish authorities, he recorded his torture and eventual death using an Apple watch.

I don't think anyone wants to see him being killed and chopped up if that's what is recorded?

this is the bit that bamboozles me. Surely if the Saudis did whats being alleged, and as professionally as reported, they would have searched him & stripped him of something like this?

I don't disbelieve this claim. Theres obviously a recording (of what would depend on hearing the recording).

I'm sitting on the fence as to this, but weight of evidence (so far) tends to suggest hes been murdered & it was inadvertantly recorded.

daheff wrote: »
    this is the bit that bamboozles me. Surely if the Saudis did whats being alleged, and as professionally as reported, they would have searched him & stripped him of something like this?

I don't disbelieve this claim. Theres obviously a recording (of what would depend on hearing the recording).

I'm sitting on the fence as to this, but weight of evidence (so far) tends to suggest hes been murdered & it was inadvertantly recorded.

The watch is bs. Out of Bluetooth range and won't work with Turkish cellular providers.

Turkish bug the most likely explanation.

reports here saying that he was dismembered alive.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/sevenminute-audio-captures-screams-of-dismembered-dissident-journalist-jamal-khashoggi-a3964306.html
    The audio recording allegedly captures the Washington Post columnist’s screams as he was dismembered.

"botched interrogation" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The watch is bs. Out of Bluetooth range and won't work with Turkish cellular providers.

Turkish bug the most likely explanation.

Yeah, the watch seems like a cover story. The place being bugged is far more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

His fiancé was outside embassy with his phone, maybe he had it synched with the watch, supposed to be uploaded to cloud, will wait and see, he being a journalist would have been well up on how these things work

Advertisement