Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Rhineshark wrote: »
    As it has for the last year and more.

There has been no pressure, on the contrary the other EU countries have been in full accord. And you can bet it matters to the smaller countries. If Ireland can be thrown under a bus after all this, they would know that they could be next. If they were going to chuck Ireland, they'd have done it at one of the other main moments that looked like May's gov was going to collapse.

The time limit does not benefit the EU at all. It would render the whole thing an expensive exercise in trust with the UK to delay a problem for two years, squandering the goodwill of smaller countries, playing right into the anti-EU rhetoric and ending up with a border mess anyway.

We'll see by March. But I do not believe that there will be pressure on us from the EU nor do I think it would make sense for the other countries to try apply it now.

I would imagine there was no pressure because there were on-going discussions. Now that the issue may cause either a hard Brexit or a British GE, I can see why it may not stay that way.

As to the smaller counties, I doubt they will see much difference between a time-limited backstop or an indefinite backstop causing a hard Brexit, but I can see where they could look upon it as an expensive waste now that we are at a stage where all this was supposed to be sorted in Dec 2017 before there would be any move to Phase 2 discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I used to work for a organisation that acted as a regulatory body, I saw one buck up on a disciplinary charge who acted the hard chaw, refused to engage, back tracked, lied, all the tricks.

I asked one of the legal types who ran the hearings what he thought of this lad's carry on and he replied with a grim smile, "Guys like that are brave until they see the gallows, then they change their tune"

I think May and Raab have now seen the Gallows, expect overtures to be made to various Labour MPs over the next while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Was the interview with AstraZeneca's boss in today's Le Monde already mentioned in the thread?

Johansson confirmed in it that AZ has already stopped investing in the UK, with Brexit contingency planning costs clocking €45m to date.

Project Reality catching up with UK plc's crown jewels, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

So Teresa May says that the EU insistence on a border backstop is unacceptable. TM signed up to this last December so what she is saying now is that the EU insistence on her keeping her word is unacceptable. It beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trump wants to get rid of the WTO, Putin wants to rule the world and get rid of the EU.

What are we left with now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Was directed to the following by a commentator on the EU Referendum blog - it seems 16% of all fish, and 34% of calamari imported through the Galician port of Vigo, comes from the Falklands. Like Jersey yesterday, the islanders feel sidelined by the UK and have taken their case directly to the Galician government, in the hope that Spain will support them post-Brexit at EU level:

http://en.mercopress.com/2018/10/12/falklands-government-and-fishing-industry-seek-support-in-galicia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Will both the EU and the WTO still exist

Hurrache wrote: »
    Will both the EU and the WTO still exist

Unless Le Pen beats Macron, you still have enough of a cohesive bloc in Western Europe to keep the show on the road - the major worry would be an Italian default, but both parties there will surely rein in their spending plans if one is threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would tend towards the view that she is looking for a time limit backstop for NI as she could sell that to the DUP.
    If that is the case then isn`t there a possibility that we may come under pressure to accept it with the can just being kicked down the road ?

Time limited and only endable by a referendum in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭nc6000

Was directed to the following by a commentator on the EU Referendum blog - it seems 16% of all fish, and 34% of calamari imported through the Galician port of Vigo, comes from the Falklands. Like Jersey yesterday, the islanders feel sidelined by the UK and have taken their case directly to the Galician government, in the hope that Spain will support them post-Brexit at EU level:

First mention I've seen of The Falklands. Are they currently in the EU?

• Advertisement

Time limited and only endable by a referendum in NI?

A time-limited backstop may, (and like anything to do with the DUP it`s a big may), make it possible for TM to sell it to them but, I cannot see her proposing a NI referendum on it.
    Even if she wished to, could she even propose such a referendum for just NI without including the rest of the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

text of TM's speech , and followup q&a

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-10-15/debates/7F3BE0D6-D631-4A22-BA71-CB924A564DA1/EUExitNegotiations

The dancing on a pin to Nigel Dodds is what I wanted to read very closely
    Nigel Dodds (Belfast North) (DUP)
    In order to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland, which nobody wants, it can never be right that we have any kind of borders in the Irish sea between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom. The Prime Minister knows that we

“could not support any deal that creates a border of any kind in the Irish Sea”.

Those are not my words—they are the words of Ruth Davidson, the leader of the Scottish Conservatives. Will the Prime Minister confirm today that, as she said in her statement, she could never accept a proposed

“backstop that would see Northern Ireland carved off in the EU’s customs union and parts of the single market, separated through a border in the Irish sea from the UK’s own internal market”?

Would she confirm that the UK is leaving the EU together with no part hived off either in the single market or customs union differences?

The Prime Minister
    When we leave the European Union, it will be the UK that leaves the European Union. We will be leaving the European Union together. I am very clear that there should be no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland, but, as we have put forward in our proposals, we can deliver on that and maintain the integrity of our Union. We made that very clear when the European Union made its backstop proposal that would effectively have carved Northern Ireland away from the rest of the United Kingdom. We cannot accept the EU’s backstop to a backstop precisely because it continues to want to see that. In fact what we want to see in a backstop is a situation where Northern Ireland businesses can export freely to Great Britain and to the European Union. That would be a good position for Northern Ireland businesses.

..ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭briany

blackcard wrote: »
    So Teresa May says that the EU insistence on a border backstop is unacceptable. TM signed up to this last December so what she is saying now is that the EU insistence on her keeping her word is unacceptable. It beggars belief.

Isn't she saying that a backstop without a time limit is unacceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

trellheim wrote: »
    text of TM's speech , and followup q&a

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-10-15/debates/7F3BE0D6-D631-4A22-BA71-CB924A564DA1/EUExitNegotiations

The dancing on a pin to Nigel Dodds is what I wanted to read very closely

..ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Thanks for the Hansard text. When you read it it is quite clear where May is heading. NI to stay in EU SM. I actually wish her luck in getting that over the line.

briany wrote: »
    Isn't she saying that a backstop without a time limit is unacceptable?

Sounded that way to me with her mention of a backstop to the backstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was listening to Ivan on newstalk this eve on about Brexit, everyone was saying how EU was making concessions allowing such a good deal to NI, to stay in EU/Single Market and wasn't it terrible how such concessions were being thrown back in their face and how could DUP be as stupid as to continue blocking it etc.

Now I always like to look at things inversely when trying to figure out why people aren't agreeing with some seemingly great offer that is being made, and came up with this..

What if UK said, here's a way to get over the whole soft border thing.. We will allow Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth have a free trade area with UK, that way there'll be no hard border between NI and ROI, this will be the new backstop, and we'll allow it to go on forever.. Now of course there will have to be checks between these counties and the rest of the Republic but sure won't it be the best of both worlds for those counties (much like it's being claimed for NI in the present offer from EU) Do you think EU and Leo, FF, SF would think that was a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭nc6000

Firblog wrote:
    What if UK said, here's a way to get over the whole soft border thing.. We will allow Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth have a free trade area with UK, that way there'll be no hard border between NI and ROI, this will be the new backstop, and we'll allow it to go on forever.. Now of course there will have to be checks between these counties and the rest of the Republic but sure won't it be the best of both worlds for those counties (much like it's being claimed for NI in the present offer from EU) Do you think EU and Leo, FF, SF would think that was a good deal?

Doesn't that just move the border issue into those counties?

Firblog wrote: »
    Was listening to Ivan on newstalk this eve on about Brexit, everyone was saying how EU was making concessions allowing such a good deal to NI, to stay in EU/Single Market and wasn't it terrible how such concessions were being thrown back in their face and how could DUP be as stupid as to continue blocking it etc.

Now I always like to look at things inversely when trying to figure out why people aren't agreeing with some seemingly great offer that is being made, and came up with this..

Except there are already checks between NI and GB for agricultural purposes.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Doesn't that just move the border issue into those counties?

Aye it does, but will the nutters attack customs/border posts that are Irish, and manned by Irish people?

I cannot see how moving a border to include the rest of Ulster plus Louth and Leitrim is going to help.

• Advertisement

Except there are already checks between NI and GB for agricultural purposes.

And? So? I'm fairly sure that if NI has checks on animals coming in from UK then we do too, so no difference there surely

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting pitch in the House of Commons;
    'Nicky Morgan warned may there was no majority for no deal in the Commons and that MPs would have to “step in” if she failed to get one'.

Yes it is the duty of Parliament. Have they any group or person to lead it?

Aye it does, but will the nutter attack customs/border posts that are Irish, and manned by Irish people?

For some of them it would just mean they have less distance to travel to do so.

For some of them it would just mean they have less distance to travel to do so.

You're prob not far wrong there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Aye it does, but will the nutters attack customs/border posts that are Irish, and manned by Irish people?
    Will the nutter repulblicans do something nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

If sea-level rise conspires to put a moat around that region and cut off Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth from the south it will be merely a weird idea instead of a ridiculous one.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    If sea-level rise conspires to put a moat around that region, it will be merely a weird idea instead of a ridiculous one.

So how come it is more ridiculous than expecting the UK/NI to accept the same deal to be foisted on them?

And? So? I'm fairly sure that if NI has checks on animals coming in from UK then we do too, so no difference there surely

In which case would we not then have to check on animals from Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim and Louth if you are moving a border to include these counties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone catch that exchange just now on Newsnight with a Brexiteer on the streets of Belfast?

Interviewer: "You're leaving a sinking ship?"

Brexiteer: "Yes."

Interviewer: "But are there lifeboats?"

Brexiteer: "We can make the lifeboats in Northern Ireland. We made Titanic."

Interviewer: "That didn't turn out so well."

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

In which case would we not then have to check on animals from Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim and Louth if you are moving a border to include these counties ?

We most probably would ok, but won't UK have to check everything coming from NI if they accepted the offer on the table?

What I'm looking at is putting the shoe on the other foot to see how we would like the fit.. maybe have an idea then why the solution being offered to the UK / NI is not being grabbed by both hands by them as everyone seems to think its such a great offer by the EU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement