Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

duploelabs wrote: »
    Well I am aware of what's written on their website, however according to my insurance company, as it's a private parking space in a private estate it counts as off-street parking, hence I asked if the seai grants took this interpretation

Is the cable going to be crossing a footpath?
    If yes, they will say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Are you in a private estate? Took one for a test drive today and was told that as I was in a private estate and the cable would have to run over the pavement to my parking space (directly outside my house) that it would invalidate my grant for a home charger

I am in a private estate which is run by a management company. I have sent a proposal to them and permission to install a unit at the kerbside but for now home charging is via a cable trailing across a path. I cover the cable to avoid a trip hazard. We are not grant eligible but spoke to SEAI on a number of occasions and they have mentioned there will need to be a solution for people in appartment and town house areas so also asked for some photos which helps build a profile of the people being turned down applications

The future is going to be EV so there will need to be some progression here in the coming years

KCross wrote: »
    Is the cable going to be crossing a footpath?
    If yes, they will say no.

Footpath is the key one here for SEAI .. public liability etc

iniall wrote: »
    The guessometer can show anywhere between about 40 and 58km after a full charge. I'd say I usually get around 40-45km of full electric, depending on driving conditions.

Very similar figures here in the early days too , 40-45 with mixed driving conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

whacker00 wrote: »
    Footpath is the key one here for SEAI .. public liability etc

But its not public property, I'll have to ask someone legal to see if there case history of this

• Advertisement

But its not public property, I'll have to ask someone legal to see if there case history of this

Ah ok , your case may be different. Our spaces are not designated and as part of house purchase it did not have a specific space assigned. The pathway that crosses our house is also public

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A place does not need to be public property in order for public liability to kick in, think some posts here are interchanging these terms in error

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Its a private housing estate isnt it? Therefore the footpath is communal therefore public in that regard.
    i.e. If someone walks along the footpath in front of your house do you think you can sue them for trespass.... my bet is not?

The grant only applies if the car is in the driveway on your private land.

Its a private housing estate isnt it? Therefore the footpath is communal therefore public in that regard.
    i.e. If someone walks along the footpath in front of your house do you think you can sue them for trespass.... my bet is not?

We've moved on from the grant.

This was a question concerning the cable stretch across a pavement that I part own (ie all the houses on the estate own a share in the communal land and its private) and if that cable laid over the pavement will leave me liable.

And yes, people who are not resident in the estate can be deemed as trespassers

We've moved on from the grant.

This was a question concerning the cable stretch across a pavement that I part own (ie all the houses on the estate own a share in the communal land and its private) and if that cable laid over the pavement will leave me liable.

And yes, people who are not resident in the estate can be deemed as trespassers

Private to me would mean its one folio number in the land registry and clear boundaries laid out. You are describing communal areas and shares.... doesnt sound like private to me.

You'd probably need a solicitor to say for sure.

In any case, an electrical cable strewn across a footpath, that others have the right to use, is of course going to open you to liability if someone trips on it. People have sued for alot less in this country! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

False.

I got the grant for my charger install in a managed complex, where it is installed on a pedestal in my charging space, wired across (underneath) a footpath, and back to my meter (note, not fusebox)

All of this was clearly shown in the photos I included with my grant application.

unkel wrote: »
    That won't work. You'd open yourself up for liability in case someone trips over your cable.

If you have a dedicated parking space, you could have an electrician install a cable under the public foopath with a charging pedestal at your private parking space. Others like liamog on here have successfully done it. It ain't cheap though. Low 4 figure sum for labour I'd say.

I did too.
    Cable under footpath from meter to charging pedestal.
    Cost me ~€1100 after the grant but the chap was there the whole day and that included the 32a charger, and pedestal, and bump stop, and all the digging, drilling etc.

Had gotten prior approval from my OMC for the work.

Edited to add: Running a granny cable across a public path is asking for trouble if you do it consistently. A once off emergency is one thing but that's not sustainable as a form of charging. Get the charger installed in your parking space.

ELM327 wrote: »
    False.

I got the grant for my charger install in a managed complex, where it is installed on a pedestal in my charging space, wired across (underneath) a footpath, and back to my meter (note, not fusebox)

All of this was clearly shown in the photos I included with my grant application.

I dont think its false.
    As I said here.

Clearly yours is fine because its all hidden and didnt require digging up a public footpath and its your dedicated space, so yours meets the "off-street private parking" requirement.

I think primarily what they want is to only target installs where the charge point can be safely used on private property. They dont want to be supporting the install of charge points where someone could trip on a cable or public property is being dug up or cables strewn across public footpaths.

duploelabs isnt the same scenario as you so I dont think they will allow the grant. He could try. The worst they will say is no.

@duploelabs, could you agree with your communal neighbours to dig the footpath and install a pedestal at your parking space or is the layout not suitable for a pedestal at the car space itself?

I dont think its false.
    As I said here.

Clearly yours is fine because its all hidden and didnt require digging up a public footpath and its your dedicated space, so yours meets the "off-street private parking" requirement.

I think primarily what they want is to only target installs where the charge point can be safely used on private property. They dont want to be supporting the install of charge points where someone could trip on a cable or public property is being dug up or cables strewn across public footpaths.

duploelabs isnt the same scenario as you so I dont think they will allow the grant. He could try. They worst they will say is no.

But they literally had to dig up the footpath to install the wiring?
    I applied not sure if I would get it or not to be honest, reading the wording on the site it's a little ambiguous.

However it is not correct to say you have to have your own driveway, as I do not, yet I got the grant.

But they literally had to dig up the footpath to install the wiring?
    I applied not sure if I would get it or not to be honest, reading the wording on the site it's a little ambiguous.

However it is not correct to say you have to have your own driveway, as I do not, yet I got the grant.

ok, I apologise for the use of the word "driveway"! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

How are these outlander batteries holding up,most important.Lots of people with issues throughout the world.It initially appeared to be just warmer Countries,but now it looks like there is lots of outlander battery problems.

Has anyone had any joy with a battery replacement from Mitsubishi?

magentis wrote: »
    How are these outlander batteries holding up,most important.Lots of people with issues throughout the world.It initially appeared to be just warmer Countries,but now it looks like there is lots of outlander battery problems.

Has anyone had any joy with a battery replacement from Mitsubishi?
    You can swap modules of the battery. Don't know if you can do it with the <2019 model

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There were issues in the early times and there may have have been a recall about it in 2013 or so.
    Are you asking about particular model year?
    Is there a problem with yours?

I did too.
    Cable under footpath from meter to charging pedestal.
    Cost me ~€1100 after the grant but the chap was there the whole day and that included the 32a charger, and pedestal, and bump stop, and all the digging, drilling etc.

Had gotten prior approval from my OMC for the work.

Edited to add: Running a granny cable across a public path is asking for trouble if you do it consistently. A once off emergency is one thing but that's not sustainable as a form of charging. Get the charger installed in your parking space.

Interesting @Elm327 , this is the exact road I will be going down regarding the works etc. Currently awaiting management company sign off but I may present the details and apply for the grant to see if it can qualify - As mentioned in previous posts my initial phone conversation was a no but I don't think the person I spoke with realised I will install a full pedestal unit at the kerb and dig up the path for cable routing. They may have assumed a tethered unit trailing accross the path. Is the position you installed the unit a designated parking location for your property ?

Interesting @Elm327 , this is the exact road I will be going down regarding the works etc. Currently awaiting management company sign off but I may present the details and apply for the grant to see if it can qualify - As mentioned in previous posts my initial phone conversation was a no but I don't think the person I spoke with realised I will install a full pedestal unit at the kerb and dig up the path for cable routing. They may have assumed a tethered unit trailing accross the path. Is the position you installed the unit a designated parking location for your property ?
    Yes, it is my designated parking spot, linked to the property.

I'd get the management company on side before applying for the grant. Once you apply for the grant you have 6 months max timeframe to sort the install (which proved a bit of an issue in my case as I specifically wanted a 32a tethered unit on a specific pedestal, so had to be ordered in)

And it's not a standard install, with all the digging and wiring that has to be laid.

• Advertisement

5 weeks now with a 2016 GX3H+ and we are really impressed with the comfort, drive and everything about the car

Tracking refuelling with the Fuelio app and recently topped up to show just over 50mpg to date which we are happy with.

Getting on average 38-40k on a full charge , only granny charging at home and using public network where possible which is slightly pulling mpg figures down, that and no preheat so the wife uses ICE to heat up some mornings before dropping the kids. I have used the fast chargers on a couple of occasions which are great.

Really love the drive from the EV , so smooth and quiet. We are converted and think it will be an EV future in this family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

5 weeks now with a 2016 GX3H+ and we are really impressed with the comfort, drive and everything about the car

Tracking refuelling with the Fuelio app and recently topped up to show just over 50mpg to date which we are happy with.

Getting on average 38-40k on a full charge , only granny charging at home and using public network where possible which is slightly pulling mpg figures down, that and no preheat so the wife uses ICE to heat up some mornings before dropping the kids. I have used the fast chargers on a couple of occasions which are great.

Really love the drive from the EV , so smooth and quiet. We are converted and think it will be an EV future in this family

Can u fast charge the Outlander?

Didn't know that

Most phevs only charge at slow 3.3kW etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Mike9832 wrote:

Yep, so many idiots in outlanders sit on the Blanchardstown FCP for hours.

Mike9832 wrote: »

Didn't know that

Most phevs only charge at slow 3.3kW etc

Sure can , I live close to the airport and there is a fast charge unit at the circle K 20-25 mins to 80% it's great and rarely holds up anyone waiting in an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Hi all, just wondering if these Outlanders would be suitable for someone driving 41km to work each day (averaging 30,000 km a year i think)?
    I park at the Luas Red Cow carpark most days and i've had a 2010 Octavia 1.9 diesel for the last 3 years.

Reading that the electric range is only 30 to 40 km so half of commute would be on the petrol engine. Are these suitable for that kind of milage?

Sorry for the questions, don't know a huge amount about ev's but have my own home where charge point could easily be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

if only doing 80km why not go full EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Advertising these like mad on tv aren’t they.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

ewj1978 wrote: »
    if only doing 80km why not go full EV?

It is something I've thought about alright. I'm just looking for opinions from owners here on how economical these Oulanders are when running on the petrol engine. Also any other thoughts on them?

It is something I've thought about alright. I'm just looking for opinions from owners here on how economical these Oulanders are when running on the petrol engine. Also any other thoughts on them?
    Not very, sub 40mpg, which is pretty decent for a 2 tonne SUV but not particularly cost effective compared to the diesel or full EV competition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Outlanders were/are huge in the UK because of tax/BIK/congestion charge incentives and many were bought for these reasons and there was an article I read a few months back that many used company car Outlanders still had charging cables wrapped and they were only bought for the benefits listed and not cheap or eco purposes.
    I think the mpg is shocking, I'm getting nearly 60mpg in my CRV, dropping to maybe 56mpg at this time of year and to look at 40mpg or less is just unreal, very rarely drive the CRV around town as we have a L30 for that so cannot advice on town mpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement