Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

MrVestek wrote: »
    Not true. You can get them to deliver to the Post Office that's closest to you too.

Ah right. Still though I want to avoid an post with anything customs. They are complete gangsters when it comes to that. Not to mention their "handling fee"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Might need a few more bits from The Box Protector Shop if anyone wants to do an order at some point, split shipping like what myself and Inviere did recently. Might get a few more stands as I could use one or two of them to hold up consoles/controllers. Also might get some misc PlayStation game boxes.

Does anyone know of a game box bigger than DVD? The PAL version of Silent Hill 2 is slightly bigger as it's cardboard and has 2 discs so a bit thicker and wider. Doesn't have to be snug or anything just something to fit.

Hopefully I can get those shelves up then I can suss out what stands I want to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Really interesting article about the history of designing 2D graphics for games, some great photos;

https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/179656817318/designing-2d-graphics-in-the-japanese-industry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really interesting article about the history of designing 2D graphics for games, some great photos;

https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/179656817318/designing-2d-graphics-in-the-japanese-industry

Read that earlier, knew bits and pieces before but that was really comprehensive.

Master of the Universe

There's a huge amount of info in it, I haven't fully had time to go through it all.

Love this illustration of CRT (left) versus modern Display (right) to show how you need a CRT to fully see what the artists were intending;

tumblr_inline_phiwexvGTu1w169t0_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was watching Voyager with Cidonalad the other day and in the episode, Investigations, there was a show within a show "Briefings with Neelix".
    Apparently not only are there screen ratio issues in the 24th century, there are also scan-lines.
    voy-investigationsa.jpg

Master of the Universe

I like to think at some point in the future humanity sees the error of it's ways and reverts to CRT :D

bladerunner.jpg

Btw am I the only one who found Neelix to be a pain in the hoop???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I like to think at some point in the future humanity sees the error of it's ways and reverts to CRT :D

He was a proper dose... actually not very keen on Voyager at all.

Watching DS9 at the moment and its very good, sure there are a few bogey episodes but on the whole its daycent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

Love this illustration of CRT (left) versus modern Display (right) to show how you need a CRT to fully see what the artists were intending]

The difference is night and day. Though that said, that's the most 'vanilla' representation of a modern display that you can get...the modern shaders go a long long way toward giving a more representative image.

Early Neelix is painful. Though I always come to appreciate him later in the show when he's explored a bit. He's like the guy who's always laughing, but is only really masking pain/trauma by doing so. By the end of Voyager, I feel his absence near the end is definitely noticeable.
    Watching DS9 at the moment and its very good, sure there are a few bogey episodes but on the whole its daycent.

By far the best iteration of Star Trek there is :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Harry Kim needs to die, in a fire, but slowly, so we can see his misery episode by episode, like a slowly crisping screen saver.
    What a magnolia, vanilla plank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Anyone going on their summer holidays to the Hull area of the UK next year? (because why wouldn't you)

This looks like it will be brilliant, Rob Hubbard is involved with it too.

https://www.hulltheatres.co.uk/events/8-bit-symphony?fbclid=IwAR3cSNn6g5FbxU4NHjEb397WpST5lVouPablq6IMbw9w96rKr8Q6RQBEalE
    Celebrate the forgotten golden age of British computing genius with the world premiere of 8-Bit Symphony: 90+ epic minutes of game music from the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC with the Hull Philharmonic Orchestra. Lovingly re-orchestrated in the spirit of the original, with 5 orchestrated by the legendary Rob Hubbard himself, 8-bit has never sounded so joyful, nor so epic. Covering genres from Kung-Fu Movies to 80's epic Sci-fi to John Williams-esque romps, it's like discovering a world of lost 80's film soundtracks: the best melodies, and the biggest sound... to honour much-overlooked musical genius.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Harry Kim needs to die, in a fire, but slowly, so we can see his misery episode by episode, like a slowly crisping screen saver.
    What a magnolia, vanilla plank.
    nah Harry was alright ..Chakotay though..boring boring Chakotay should have been killed off in the pilot episode...

Dr Bob wrote: »
    nah Harry was alright ..Chakotay though..boring boring Chakotay should have been killed off in the pilot episode...

Beltran complained about that too, afterwards.
    And now, rewatching them many years later with Cidonalad, he really is the most boring first officer of the series, despite supposedly being a edgy ethnic terrorist or whatever they were going for, he winds up being the most "Starfleet" of them all!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Beltran complained about that too, afterwards.
    And now, rewatching them many years later with Cidonalad, he really is the most boring first officer of the series, despite supposedly being a edgy ethnic terrorist or whatever they were going for, he winds up being the most "Starfleet" of them all!
    To be fair to him he (Beltran) was kind of stuck...he pretty much hated the character from season 2 on ..but , it was a regular paying gig so he stuck it out. You find out weird stuff now once the actors are a bit more loose lipped about what went on in the background..like the fact that at the time anyway the actresses playing Janeway and 7 of 9 HATED each other and would nearly sabotage each others scenes..
    (I think they made up later though)

I think the way that Jeri Ryan was dropped into the series was terribly contrived and, including that outfit, was a painful attempt to appeal to the nethers of a young male audience.
    I mean, I enjoyed the way that the Borg found depth and complexity with her storylines, but it may have been to the exclusion of other characters, such as Beltran's.
    Surely, with 25 odd episodes in a season, they could have found a way to make everyone interesting, with the exception of Kim, the plank.
    DS9 managed this feat quite well, while also developing strong story arcs.
    Also, Kazon, what an utter waste of time.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    By far the best iteration of Star Trek there is :)

Would you put it before TNG? I haven't actually watched a single episode of DS9 since it aired!

Speaking of Voyager actors being a bit mad, anyone ever follow how the actress who played Kes ended up? Seems to have really gone off the deep end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

DS9 is top of the pile for me too, with TNG second. The stuff with Kes in real life is mad, almost as mad as Chloe from smallville! Though that would be a hard one to top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

DS9 is top of the pile for me too, with TNG second. The stuff with Kes in real life is mad, almost as mad as Chloe from smallville! Though that would be a hard one to top.

Oh I think Dana Plato tops that one by some margin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah ended up in Night Trap.

Everything else in her life was normal and insignificant by comparison .

I think the way that Jeri Ryan was dropped into the series was terribly contrived and, including that outfit, was a painful attempt to appeal to the nethers of a young male audience.
    I mean, I enjoyed the way that the Borg found depth and complexity with her storylines, but it may have been to the exclusion of other characters, such as Beltran's.
    Surely, with 25 odd episodes in a season, they could have found a way to make everyone interesting, with the exception of Kim, the plank.
    DS9 managed this feat quite well, while also developing strong story arcs.
    Also, Kazon, what an utter waste of time.

That wasn’t Ryan’s fault though, and by all accounts Mulgrew made her life hell on set. I was so disappointed when I found this out, because I loved both characters.
    Would you put it before TNG? I haven't actually watched a single episode of DS9 since it aired!

Speaking of Voyager actors being a bit mad, anyone ever follow how the actress who played Kes ended up? Seems to have really gone off the deep end.

DS9, once it gets going, and I emphasize the gets going part, is outstandingly good. I love TNG, and it will always have a special place in my heart, but DS9 is where Star Trek grew up (before going downhill again). You’re so lucky you’ve the entire show unwatched, I’d love to see it again for the first time. The characters are all top class. You should set aside a few weeks some time and binge through it, it’s the best way to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

PSVR is €200 on Amazon with 2 games, one of which is Doom.

Trying so hard not to buy one. Had one for a few weeks before selling it to CeX for €80 profit (they weren't even hard to get!) I really enjoyed Until Dawn and would like to get it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

DaveyDave wrote: »
    PSVR is €200 on Amazon with 2 games, one of which is Doom.

Trying so hard not to buy one. Had one for a few weeks before selling it to CeX for €80 profit (they weren't even hard to get!) I really enjoyed Until Dawn and would like to get it again...

Get it!
    It's the price of a mediocre phone and comes with 2 games.

And since you made 80 euro profit off the last one it's really only costing you €120 ! ;)

Doge wrote: »
    Get it!
    It's the price of a mediocre phone and comes with 2 games.

And since you made 80 euro profit off the last one it's really only costing you €120 ! ;)

I ordered one that comes with the headset, two move controllers, camera, and Doom for circa €250...seemed like a very good deal. Should pair nicely with my 5.05 PS4 Pro...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Does anyone remeber the TV show “Super Mario Challenge “ I used to watch it everyday on my lunch break from school. I didn’t have a NES yet and had never played mario at this stage. 1990 I think. , I got one for Christmas the year this was on tv so lapped it up in the couple of months before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Does anyone remeber the TV show “Super Mario Challenge “ I used to watch it everyday on my lunch break from school. I didn’t have a NES yet and had never played mario at this stage. 1990 I think. , I got one for Christmas the year this was on tv so lapped it up in the couple of months before hand.

I very vaguely remember Around the World in 80 Seconds.

Also, wasn't there another game show on the same channel set in some sort of space station?

I wonder if this might be fun to pick up.
    https://www.adverts.ie/monitors/computer-monitors-hp-e201/16634175
    It's a 20" LCD monitor with a 360 swivel stand, perfect for Tate mode shooters?
    Only lacking scanlines!

Master of the Universe

I wonder if this might be fun to pick up.
    https://www.adverts.ie/monitors/computer-monitors-hp-e201/16634175
    It's a 20" LCD monitor with a 360 swivel stand, perfect for Tate mode shooters?
    Only lacking scanlines!

I used to have something similar for tate shmups with my Dreamcast. Had an SLG3000 in between the console and the monitor, didn't look too bad actually. Kinda tempted by these.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lucasarts just put a shedload of their games up on steam including the indiana Jones games and escape from monkey island.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lucasarts just put a shedload of their games up on steam including the indiana Jones games and escape from monkey island.

I always wanted to try their scifi one, The Dig

• Advertisement

It's been on steam for years. No excuses 😂

Advertisement