Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So...Ok then...How do we talk about it? (Irish Presidential Election Result)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sunday Times apparently know for certain that it was Casey's comments on welfare dependency that really resonated with people, not that nasty traveler-baiting stuff.:P Which conveniently coincides with what the paper itself has been banging on about for years...

Yet nobody can claim to the contrary either. There is a rush to say they're all racists too, which is just as disingenuous.

The reality is that it's a little bit from column A, a little bit from column B, and some from column C which says it's unacceptable to countenance such comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Plenty of other parties saying what he is saying about the working man/woman being pressured.

They’re not doing anything about it though..

In fact those is a position to actually do something are too busy reducing any remaining incentive to work..

They said they’d sort it then did the opposite.

Talk is cheap..

• Registered Users Posts: 66,784 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rennaws wrote: »
    They’re not doing anything about it though..

In fact those is a position to actually do something are too busy reducing any remaining incentive to work..

They said they’d sort it then did the opposite.

Talk is cheap..

It is those who won't that have to be removed by votes then. Casey has no solutions and isn't a politician. You might as well vote for Joe Duffy or some journalist who writes about the problems we all know exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It is those who won't that have to be removed by votes then. Casey has no solutions and isn't a politician. You might as well vote for Joe Duffy or some journalist who writes about the problems we all know exist.

Don’t disagree.

So let’s Hope Casey has given some politicians the balls to say what they actually think now instead of towing the PC party line afraid of their sh1te of upsetting someone..

We need to massively reduce our welfare bill.

People aren’t going to like it but they need to get over it.

That or go out and get a job..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Having given many ECDL (and other) courses over the years, I can tell you that the standard of IT knowledge out there is quite poor. Lots of people need to know how to use Windows Explorer.
    ECDL covered an intro to Excel anyhow.

Oh really? That's rather erm depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

P_1 wrote: »
    Ok while we definitely don't want to copy anything that came from the Tories arent the Soc Dems advocates for just that?

Sensible economic policies, sustainable transport (ie not as manically car centric in our cities) and left on social issues.

Why are they only polling at 3% in that case? Is it a case of the general irish public being fools?

Personal opinion time, but Soc Dems don't seem to have a much coherency in party policies or direction. Hopefully it's just teething problems as it would be great to have a new addition to the voting landscape (and I like any of the Soc Dem politicians I've met), but I can't see them gaining traction until they get more of a direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Serious question for you: are you honestly under the impression that that discussion never came up before Peter Casey?

Are you honestly under the impression that a distant second place in a presidential race is somehow going to cause a radical shift in our societal discourse?

It has been discussed hugely in many circles, just ignored by the media and politicians. This has pushed it to the front pages. Leo Varadkar who supposedly supports those who get up early in the morning seemed to be very caught off guard and outraged.

Will it cause a radical shift, who knows, but everything starts from small beginnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gutter politics has made its way to our shores, be prepared for weird stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I thought that started decades ago with SF murdering members of our military and police force?

I thought that started decades ago with SF murdering members of our military and police force?

Good point, but we have just joined the new wave of gutter politics that's sweeping the globe, I do expect things to get a little weird from here on in, only time will tell, it's a clear indication that people have had enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Serious question for you: are you honestly under the impression that that discussion never came up before Peter Casey?

I know this question was aimed at another poster, but the point is not whether people speak about it, it is whether people can speak about it in public, particularly on the media or in politics. Much of Casey's support, I'd wager, came from the attacks from the other candidates saying that not only did they disagree with what Casey said, but that he should not have been entitled to say it in the first place.
    Are you honestly under the impression that a distant second place in a presidential race is somehow going to cause a radical shift in our societal discourse?

Radical shift? I've never witnessed a shift of 20 points in the space of a week before in politics. 20 points didn't matter in a contest where the incumbent was polling 70%, but you'd be a fool to argue that 20 points wouldn't matter in other contests.

Of course there's the caveat that people are less likely to spend a vote in protest if there's a tight contest over an office that matters, but the point remains.

To be fair they didn't recognize our parliament at the time, so calling them politicians is a liberal use of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Good point, but we have just joined the new wave of gutter politics that's sweeping the globe, I do expect things to get a little weird from here on in, only time will tell, it's a clear indication that people have had enough

Watch for the weird for the MEP elections. We already know that the Irexit Ireland eejits will be running people (and I'll eat my hat if Casey doesn't join them or at least become somewhat allied).

Mind you, Irexit Freedom does appear to be Hermann Kelly and that's it so..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

tom1ie wrote: »
    To be honest I have no idea what the social dems economic viewpoints are especially with regard to welfare. I highly doubt they are as strong on welfare reform and justice as for example Renua.
    I think the soc dem party have a couple of ex labour members so welfare reform probably isn’t high on the list.

The Soc Dems's is a home for Labour people who were afraid to make unpopular decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Of course there's the caveat that people are less likely to spend a vote in protest if there's a tight contest over an office that matters,
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/casey-phenomenon-no-harbinger-of-new-form-of-populist-politics-1.3678720?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fcasey-phenomenon-no-harbinger-of-new-form-of-populist-politics-1.3678720
    Indeed. This article positions the Casey surge in an established pattern of voters 'sticking it to the man' in second-order elections. But things always revert to the status quo afterwards.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Personal opinion time, but Soc Dems don't seem to have a much coherency in party policies or direction. Hopefully it's just teething problems as it would be great to have a new addition to the voting landscape (and I like any of the Soc Dem politicians I've met), but I can't see them gaining traction until they get more of a direction.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the soc dem politicians I've come across are young in political terms (born in the 80s) I wonder if their numbers would be improved if the old guard were sent to pasture?

The Soc Dems's is a home for Labour people who were afraid to make unpopular decisions.

I respectfully disagree. Shorthall needs to be ditched but by and large it's a hope for people who want competence in their politicians and actually want to make our cities liveable in

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I posted the thread on Sat morning and have been locked out of Boards since so apologies for responding in one go like this.
    So Peter Casey wants to criticise Irish government and some local authority policy towards the Travelling Community - fine. Let him at it. I wouldnt vote for him because of that and Id hate to think we are creating a society that WILL vote for someone just because of that, because we are too busy tilting at windmills to actually engage in debate

I largely agree with what you said (I do believe he was dog whistling as the topic was not relevant for this election).
    I do fear that we have started to create the society you speak about. To me, it is astounding that we are going down the path of the US and the UK in listening to populist, nationalist claims which are very short term focused.
    Godot. wrote: »
    Casey topping the poll in Rathkeale and Askeaton, unsurprisingly - places with high population densities of travellers. But shure Casey is a racist, the D4 heads that have never interacted with a traveller in their lives said so :rolleyes:
    To be fair, Rathkeale and Askeaton are at the extreme end of the scale in terms of densities of travellers but you’re right, it still is the case that PC’s statements affected the polls.
    salmocab wrote: »
    I’m not so sure that the Casey vote is much to do with the right, it’s a lazy comparison made by poor journalism. I’d be quite liberal leaning as would a lot of my friends and there was a lot of sympathy for his views. I wouldn’t think it actually translated into votes within my circle of friends for him.
    It’s quite possible to be liberal and dislike people in society living off your taxes, I’m not just talking about some travelers but plenty of settled people too. Liberal doesn’t mean that you support a welfare state. It’s a phrase that’s been stolen by far right groups and turned into something it isn’t.
    This is part of what brought me to posting the thread. Those that don’t see it from my view “are lazy and deliver poor work”, it’s the same on both sides and I'm wondering how do we get away from it outside of populist claims (again, from both sides) which may result in someone being elected.
    tretorn wrote: »
    All this media talk sbout Caseys vote being a kickback against the PC liberal agenda is fudging the issue.
    Its clear the biggest votes Casey got is from rural Iteland and its this sector of the community that bear the brunt of traveller criminal behaviour. There is nothing co incidental about the voting patterns and we dont need deep intellectual debates. We need enforcing of the existing laws and some effective consequences for travellers who break those laws.
    Your first point in bold I think is false given that so many who supported Casey are claiming it. Colm Parkinson said so explicitly in one of the Top posts on Twitter immediately after the results were announced.

Your second point I agree with completely. If this was done, and travellers were challenged or appeared in court a lot (which they already do it seems) then Pavee point would claim that they were being unfairly targeted while others would say that they still weren’t being targeted enough.
    As in the post I referenced in my OP I’d like to see facts and figures prepared and presented by both sides in an open, transparent and impartial environment so both sides could challenge and defend specific points simultaneously.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    It's an astounding level of ignorance to the workings and history of our society and when government does change, but societal Issues don't, it'll lead to further disillusionment of those without a proper understanding.
    Agree completely with this and think that such blasé attitudes to the complexity of societal governance and just what exactly good governance is has led to Trump and Brexit in two recent and extreme cases.
    How do we increase understanding and discuss and accept hard facts (on all sides) where we don’t regress in to a place where the person who shouts loudest gets control.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Martin said yesterday there's no place for him in FF. Of course he doesn't seem to be on top of what's happening in his party these days.
    Slightly off topic but, I actually see MM as a party leader though in opposition is still trying to put the needs of the country first. I personally, am pleased that he seems to recognize that a GE while Brexit is being negotiated and implemented is not in the countries interest and so he is not agitating for one. He gets stick from all sides for his approach but I prefer this than squabbling and bickering without progress or action such as what we see from Labour in the UK at the moment (and democrats in the US for that matter but that’s a whole other basket of crazy).
    Sorry what use is an ECDL to someone trying to get an office job. Everyone knows how to save files and navigate windows explorer. Send them on excel courses. That's how you get work.
    Everyone doesn’t know. You’d actually be surprised at the amount of people who have even gotten to level 6 qualification with a poor understanding of basic office PC skills. And, many are quite embarrassed by it as they feel they should know this but while they have spent years on PC’s its been the same limited tasks day after day.
    This is the nub of the issue in my mind. Those that are happy Peter Casey did so well think this past few days has been some sort of an awakening, they feel that they have been ignored and others who aren’t willing to help themselves, or aren’t Irish are being accommodated in ways which are not available to them and they must pay for it through the taxes they do pay. The opposing side feel that what we are doing is asking everyone to support those that need it most so that they too can benefit from and contribute to society. Both sides think the other is mad to think the way they do and so we end up with extreme views gaining an audience.

I feel part of the reason that Peter Casey was so successful was because of his comments and the fact that the story of Margaret Cash got such coverage over the last few months. Many see her as being granted equivalent sums to very well paid individuals while not working, being charged with shop lifting, having multiple children without a consistent earned revenue while claiming the government owed her and were annoyed. That annoyance turned to outright anger when the narrative on radio and tv shows and in newspapers was that people should be ashamed to question her role or responsibility for her circumstances.

My feeling is that there are travellers who want to work, who have tried to get a job, who are poorly educated and wish none of this was the case but their circumstance and the environment they grew up in has brought them to this. I think these should be supported and I do know that there will always be some who try to get something for absolutely nothing (as true for those at the top of society as the bottom) but we can’t tar them all the same way. Personally, I would pay towards one Margaret Cash if it meant another family was supported and availed of the opportunity to get educated employment and thus contribute to society in their turn.

But, how do we learn the facts without the single sided editorials and opinion pieces which make wide sweeping black and white statements ignoring the fact that it is mostly areas of grey which actually exists?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/casey-phenomenon-no-harbinger-of-new-form-of-populist-politics-1.3678720?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fcasey-phenomenon-no-harbinger-of-new-form-of-populist-politics-1.3678720
    Indeed. This article positions the Casey surge in an established pattern of voters 'sticking it to the man' in second-order elections. But things always revert to the status quo afterwards.

I'm not sure this is the case when looking at Trump/Brexit. If I was betting today, I'd say Republicans will hold at least the senate and that Trump is even money to be reelected. Brexit is gone too far to not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,784 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well the chance 'to do something about it' has now been offered to the Fianna Fail party, make Casey the leader or face the prospect of him setting up 'New Fianna Fail'.

If he joins Fianna Fail on his terms (as Leader) how many would switch back to supporting FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I respectfully disagree. Shorthall needs to be ditched but by and large it's a hope for people who want competence in their politicians and actually want to make our cities liveable in

Everyone is in favour if competence in their politicians and livable cities and motherhood and apple pie.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Everyone is in favour if competence in their politicians and livable cities and motherhood and apple pie.

Then why are our gob****e politicians failing so miserably at that.

Though apple pie is disgusting you monster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Then why are our gob****e politicians failing so miserably at that.
    There are a few possibilities I can think of:
    * They aren't doing too bad at all. The Irish political system has since independence have actually delivered a prosperous country - amongst the most prosperous, least corrupt and most generous to people who aren't doing so well in the world.
    * Running a country is actually very complicated and it's near impossible to meet everyone's expectations.
    * By some magic, inexplicably, politicians just tend to be gob****es.And equally inexplicably, the electorate seem to elect gob****e after gob****e.

Phoebas wrote: »
    There are a few possibilities I can think of:
    * They aren't doing too bad at all. The Irish political system has since independence have actually delivered a prosperous country - amongst the most prosperous, least corrupt and most generous to people who aren't doing so well in the world.
    * Running a country is actually very complicated and it's near impossible to meet everyone's expectations.
    * By some magic, inexplicably, politicians just tend to be gob****es.And equally inexplicably, the electorate seem to elect gob****e after gob****e.

I am broadly of this view.

When people say we need a government that will be the best for the country, just where do they think we can get to?

There are definitely areas for improvement, personally we are moving too easily towards no public health service whatsoever, but is there any country in which the population is entirely happy with the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well the chance 'to do something about it' has now been offered to the Fianna Fail party, make Casey the leader or face the prospect of him setting up 'New Fianna Fail'.

If he joins Fianna Fail on his terms (as Leader) how many would switch back to supporting FF?

I wonder was this move directly copied from the Trump playbook, as with so much of what Casey does. After all, Trump, who was registered as a Democrat in the 2000s, effectively took over the Republican Party from the outside. Perhaps Casey hadn't pondered too deeply how likely a similar move was to succeed in the Irish political context.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I feel part of the reason that Peter Casey was so successful was because of his comments and the fact that the story of Margaret Cash got such coverage over the last few months. Many see her as being granted equivalent sums to very well paid individuals while not working, being charged with shop lifting, having multiple children without a consistent earned revenue while claiming the government owed her and were annoyed. That annoyance turned to outright anger when the narrative on radio and tv shows and in newspapers was that people should be ashamed to question her role or responsibility for her circumstances.

I think journalists have got lazy and do not do any leg-work in covering stories.

The story put out about Margaret Cash and her seven children having to lie on hard plastic chairs in the Garda station was splashed over all the media, together with a (staged) photos of her children in their school uniforms in the middle of the school holidays. How many journalists took the time and effort to visit the Garda station and find out the back story? How many took the trouble to enquire how someone in receipt of huge sums of social welfare payments could not find a place to live? How many interviewed the father or fathers of these seven children?

Margaret Cash was subsequently charged with stealing €300 of clothes from Penneys (she must have needed a lorry to get that value of goods from Penneys). Still no investigation of the back story.

Now, she is just a story that hit the surface but was not investigated.

Now, then we had the story about the travellers in Tipp who refused to move into the €1.6 million houses provided 'free' by Tipp CC because they had not been provided with 'free' land and stables for their horses. The back story came out later, partially. Six four-bedroomed detached houses at a cost of €255 k each is not bad value. They already have stables, they wanted grazing for the horses. They occupy land the council wanted. etc etc etc.

Now, travellers number about 50,000 individuals and form an identifiable minority. Public perception is that they behaviour is often antisocial, criminal, and causes environmental damage. They do not attend education. Much of this is well founded for a section of travellers, and the Government, both local and national have failed to combat and control the actions that give rise to this perception.

Travellers need help, but they need to control those within their group to stop giving rise to this perception.

It needs action from both sides, and Pavee Point should be leading this by advocating for travellers to improve their behaviour and those travellers that disagree with those travellers that misbehave to mend their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I'd be more inclined to agree with the Sunday Times to the extent that I can't imagine an alt-right party gaining traction here - perhaps I'm totally wrong, but unlikely that immigration, Islam or Euroscepticism would resonate with an Irish electorate. More likely, it suggests an appetite for a new PDs-style party, with Renua viewed as too Catholic to fill that role.

I'd be more inclined to agree with the Sunday Times to the extent that I can't imagine an alt-right party gaining traction here - perhaps I'm totally wrong, but unlikely that immigration, Islam or Euroscepticism would resonate with an Irish electorate. More likely, it suggests an appetite for a new PDs-style party, with Renua viewed as too Catholic to fill that role.

im not so sure about this now, i do think the casey situation is very telling in this

It needs action from both sides, and Pavee Point should be leading this by advocating for travellers to improve their behaviour and those travellers that disagree with those travellers that misbehave to mend their ways.

I'm inclined to agree. As I said previously, if both sides think that they are in the right position, why aren't they willing for their claims to be challenged and explored so the evidence will show them to be correct.

Both sides should welcome the opportunity to defend their position.
    I can understand travellers feeling that they are being targeted unfairly but now that Casey has raised the discussion to a national/public level, lets see what the stats are.
    Education rates, employment rates, mortgage holding rates, etc
    And then explore the root causes for the differences.

It's very simplistic to say that travellers don't complete the leaving cert to the same level as most other communities. Is it because they don't have the opportunity or are not supported when attending school and feel ostracised or because they simply choose not to attend?

im not so sure about this now, i do think the casey situation is very telling in this

What we've seen is, you don't need a party which the people particularly feel affiliated with, you just need to convince them that the other party is their enemy.

See Trump, a tycoon claiming that the government system is a swamp.
    See Eton educated individuals claiming the EU is making life difficult for the common man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

fxotoole wrote: »
    The right already had their chance to elect the National Party and they were roundly rejected by the electorate last time out. So the electorate have already put to bed the idea that Ireland needs a right wing party.

The National Party has not contested any local or general elections yet. It formed two years ago.

• Advertisement

The National Party has not contested any local or general elections yet. It formed two years ago.

patience, casey may have just opened the flood gates

Advertisement