Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish arcade club?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd ask the people who run Heart of Gaming to hop on a call with you and get a bit of information. They don't seem to have had as deep pockets as Arcade Club and there were plenty of ups and downs.

Seems to me either you find somewhere that's cheap to rent (maybe tricky these days) and do it as a private club or you do a bar & restaurant with arcades. If you're running a bar/restaurant you'd probably want some experienced people on board to avoid losing your shirt.

I would be slow to start anything like this if I didn't have money to blow on a vanity project or restauranteur ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The only food an arcade club should serve is "pik and mix"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

If I was running an arcade I wouldn’t want anyone near my cabs with greasy hands from eating nachos or whatever sh*te was being served. If you want food go to a restaurant.

If I was running an arcade I wouldn’t want anyone near my cabs with greasy hands from eating nachos or whatever sh*te was being served. If you want food go to a restaurant.

Your old MK 2 cab in token had a nice layer of something on the 2P stick last time I was there :(

First things first. We get a barrel of hand sanitizer? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I regret selling that, but if i didnt i wouldnt have a Star Trek Pinball right now so..

• Advertisement

I was watching a pinball documentary a while ago and some guy explained the scenario very effectively. In the 1970's people ate at home and went out for entertainment. Nowadays they have entertainment at home and go out to eat. This is why nacho cheese on your controls are sort of a necessary evil. You only have to look at Token people are way more interested in the food than the games, they're just window dressing.

I don't know if someone on this forum suggested it but an American style sports bar would be a good combo. I'm sure the licencing would be obscene but going somewhere and being able to sit down and watch something of your choosing with your bros over a few beers would probably a novelty in Dublin. Hell, some people would probably want to go to watch e-sports. I went to a bar in Wexford for rap battles this weekend and they were streaming live American rap battles over the telly there between the Irish clashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

That's a neat comparison between eating/entertainment. I'm definitely getting plans and ideas together.

From being busy I haven't checked the premises again, and to be honest that's the first hurdle it may die on.

Second is the machines and that's going as smoothly as expected, more leads and others getting closer.

After that it's just needing a bit of magic to gel. Worst case scenario is that premises fall through and all machines disappear. Next best is premises are toast but that I have a geansai load of machines to pass on. I may have wrangled free storage for about 20 either way.

It's glacial movement right now, but you get nowhere if you don't try! Wouldn't have an update for a few weeks I'd expect.

Afraid the premises has fallen through, it will be redeveloped into "guess what". It was always doing to be a bit of a fluke, so not surprised. Not going any further with this considering the average property rents. Ah well, will continue on with just the games themselves :)

I was in Barcade yesterday (they had Nightmare in the Dark which I've never played before) and it was fun but something a little more focused on the playing experience would be nice. Many of the games have the sound turned down so low you can't hear them over the pop music blaring.

One of the problem with the stripped back modern design of a lot of venues these days is there isn't a single soft furnishing in the room to absorb sound. There's a reason arcades are meant to be carpeted.

beejee wrote: »
    Afraid the premises has fallen through, it will be redeveloped into "guess what". It was always doing to be a bit of a fluke, so not surprised. Not going any further with this considering the average property rents. Ah well, will continue on with just the games themselves :)

**** happens. But let's just stockpile games anyway.

If you build it they will come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Afraid the premises has fallen through, it will be redeveloped into "guess what".
    A direct provision centre?

I was in Barcade yesterday (they had Nightmare in the Dark which I've never played before) and it was fun but something a little more focused on the playing experience would be nice. Many of the games have the sound turned down so low you can't hear them over the pop music blaring.

One of the problem with the stripped back modern design of a lot of venues these days is there isn't a single soft furnishing in the room to absorb sound. There's a reason arcades are meant to be carpeted.

Not the only place ive noticed a near complete lack of sound. Completely destroys the experience for me, its like going to a cinema with no sound.

**** happens. But let's just stockpile games anyway.

If you build it they will come

Making headway on one end at least :)

A direct provision centre?

Not quite, just more bland apartments. Boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not the only place ive noticed a near complete lack of sound. Completely destroys the experience for me, its like going to a cinema with no sound.

On the flip side, go to Token and get the machine gun in Time Crisis 2 and people look at you like you're the biggest príck in there!

Advertisement