Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Broadband, for light use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

[QUOTE=

Fatpipe Fibre 24, the subject of this thread, uses the Eir FTTC/FTTK] infrastructure, resold from Eir Wholesale. The copper tail is terminated by a Zyxel VMG1312-B10D Wireless N VDSL2 4-port Gateway with USB.[/QUOTE]

that is not a product on FTTC/FTTK, it is ADSL+ which is copper from the Xchange. As much as the product name tries to advertise fast speed by putting "Fibre" in it, it also betrays the product with the "24". The modem is a VDSL modem hence can run ADSL product. Its not a bad product if its sufficient for you.

just to add the fatpipe fibre 100 is the FTTC product

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Accusing Magnet of "blatant lying" is a pretty serious charge, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    Through common usage in Ireland, and many other countries, (Retail) Product Names include the term "Fibre" when any element of the delivery, in the local network, is fibre-based.

Fatpipe Fibre 24, the subject of this thread, uses the Eir FTTC/FTTK] infrastructure, resold from Eir Wholesale. The copper tail is terminated by a Zyxel VMG1312-B10D Wireless N VDSL2 4-port Gateway with USB.

Unless you have actual supporting docs to show otherwise, there is nothing to indicate this is a VDSL product. Magnet's 24mbit products predate VDSL availability.

That its 24 and you're syncing at less than that pretty much guarantees its ADSL2+. A rate capped VDSL product would be giving 24 solid.

A VDSL modem will do back to DSL1 at 256k if required; they are not dear and stocking ADSL2+ modems for no reason would be pointless variance and probably cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

vicM wrote: »
    that is not a product on FTTC/FTTK, it is ADSL+ which is copper from the Xchange. As much as the product name tries to advertise fast speed by putting "Fibre" in it, it also betrays the product with the "24". The modem is a VDSL modem hence can run ADSL product. Its not a bad product if its sufficient for you.

just to add the fatpipe fibre 100 is the FTTC product

The real question, for this thread, is whether, or not, this product is a bargain. Obviously, for some people commenting it is not. But for others, me amongst them, it more than meets my needs, at a brilliant cost.

Maybe the technical elements being discussed would be more suited to the Broadband Forum. My understanding is that it uses FTTC, rather than copper to the exchange, but I should have a definitive answer in the next day, or two. (The delivery speed is no indication of the local loop infrastructure. What could be happening is that Magnet have created a bottom tier product, by locking the line card to ADSL+ If correct, this approach has the advantage that a move to a higher speed product could be handled electronically.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless OpenEir turn up to replace the socket and verify there's no taps before it, its ADSL2+.

The price indicates its sweating out the old equipment and not VDSL.

Its not fiber, its not fiber speeds - its actually slower than most urban mobile broadband now - and its not even that good value as a result. Its not a bargain in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

OmegaGene wrote: »
    eir broadband has really come down in price since i last looked
    Totally Unlimited Broadband
    Unlimited Off-Peak local & national calls
    FREE eir sport pack

€34.99 a month for 12 months and its only a 12 month contract so just cancel and rejoin after 12 months

https://www.eir.ie/bundles/

My 12 month eir subscription ends in 30 days time. Does this mean I can cancel my Joe Bloggs account & sign up again as Joseph Bloggs with the same DD account number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

The “fair usage” policies of some providers really are outdated at this stage and crippling to users.

I’m leaving Vodafone at the end of the month because their “unlimited” broadband is capped at 1TB a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless you have actual supporting docs to show otherwise, there is nothing to indicate this is a VDSL product. Magnet's 24mbit products predate VDSL availability.

That its 24 and you're syncing at less than that pretty much guarantees its ADSL2+. A rate capped VDSL product would be giving 24 solid.

A VDSL modem will do back to DSL1 at 256k if required; they are not dear and stocking ADSL2+ modems for no reason would be pointless variance and probably cost more.

I take it all back, it is described incorrectly. ☹️ I checked the line stats on the modem and it appears that I am connected straight to the exchange. (I am 1.1km from the exchange, on a straight duct path and the ADSL2+ line attenuation downstream is 22db.) It doesn’t take from the value but using fibre in the product title is appalling.

So in summary*:

Fatpipe Fibre 24, from Magnet, is €30pm, with a lead-in price of €20pm, for 3 months. There is no landline or line rental charges. (= €330/12 months)
    Vodafone gigabit is €25 a month for first 6 month and €45 for the following 6 months. (= €420/12 months)
    Pure Telecom are doing 100mb broadband and phone for €30pm for 12 months, 12 months contract. €50 after 12 months, free activation. (= €360/12 months)
    Eir - €34.99 a month for 12 months and its only a 12 month contract so just cancel and rejoin after 12 months (= €420/12 months)

*Assuming landline is not needed or is included in the price & there is no line rental charge.*

Am I keeping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Logo wrote: »
    So in summary*:

Fatpipe Fibre 24, from Magnet, is €30pm, with a lead-in price of €20pm, for 3 months. There is no landline or line rental charges. (= €330/12 months)
    Vodafone gigabit is €25 a month for first 6 month and €45 for the following 6 months. (= €420/12 months)
    Pure Telecom are doing 100mb broadband and phone for €30pm for 12 months, 12 months contract. €50 after 12 months, free activation. (= €360/12 months)
    Eir - €34.99 a month for 12 months and its only a 12 month contract so just cancel and rejoin after 12 months (= €420/12 months)

*Assuming landline is not needed or is included in the price & there is no line rental charge.*

Am I keeping up?

Eir also charge a €30 activation fee so it’s €450 not €360 and bear in mind that Eir have lost BT from next July so the only thing their “sports” pack will be good for is Pro14. €450 vs €360 and ours is essentially the same service

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

So in summary*:

Am I keeping up?

Eir also charge a €30 activation fee so it’s €450 not €420 and bear in mind that Eir have lost BT from next July so the only thing their “sports” pack will be good for is Pro14. €450 vs €360 and pure is essentially the same service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

So in summary*:

Fatpipe Fibre 24, from Magnet, is €30pm...<snip>

Could Logo's excellent summary post be made a sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

I just had a quick look at the pure telecom website and it’s €34 for 6 months and €50 thereafter, maybe I’m missing something on the website

https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/pure-telecom/

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Just to add that the Pure Telecom router is fairly average. Was going to switch to them but no dual band wireless on the router - only 2.4GHZ. Wont affect light BB users

I'm looking for a new provider and for me it's best to compare as 12 month contracts & trying not to get too bogged down in upload/download speeds etc.
    Updated summary* (7th Nov):

Fatpipe Fibre 24, from Magnet, is €30pm, with a lead-in price of €20pm, for 3 months. There is no landline or line rental charges.
    (= €330/12 months)

Vodafone gigabit is €25 a month for first 6 month and €45 for the following 6 months.
    (= €420/12 months)

Pure Telecom are doing 100mb broadband and phone for €30pm for 12 months, 12 months contract. €50 after 12 months, free activation. Was notified that this offer ends Friday 9th Nov.
    (= €360/12 months).

Eir - €34.99 a month for 12 months and its only a 12 month contract so just cancel and rejoin after 12 months. €30 activation fee may apply.
    (= €420/12 months).

Sky fibre broadband €35 a month for 12 months (thanks to OmegaGene). Set up costs may apply.
    https://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/
    (= €420/12 months).

Am I keeping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

T&c s

Sky Fibre Unlimited €30 a month for 12 months, €55 pm thereafter. Set up costs may apply. 50 quid New ROI households in selected fibre areas only. Maximum download speeds up to 100Mb. Speeds vary by location. Min & further terms apply. Standard broadband activation fee of €5-€10 depending upon product choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

I just signed up to pure

30/month for fttc

Only a warning they said if I go over the 1TB cap

Is sky still still having problems with congestion on these contracts

Or are they the same product as eir and vf??

There was a mega thread full of problems about speeds with sky fttc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Cancel after 12 months and move on, same as car insurance you don’t stay to get ripped off unless you have too much money lol

You don't even have to move on, just ring up before your contract is up and they'll generally roll you over onto a new discounted package.

Never used sky broadband myself always stick to Vodafone as they seem to have a decent customer service, but the price war is doing is good us they are all coming down in price now

Well I'm gone to Pure now

They said there's no change from EIR except the box

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Vodafone gigabit is €25 a month for first 6 month and €45 for the following 6 months.
    I only have the fibre broadband in my area but the service is spot on and you can change names on the bill every 12 months to get the offer year on year.
    Great speed for 4K Netflix etc last month I used 600gb of data lol

Its actually €55pm for the gigabit (Siro) offer and €45pm for the fibre (VDSL up to 100mb) after the 6 months in the VF offer.
    So double check your order details if signing up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thomyokk wrote: »
    Well I'm gone to Pure now

They said there's no change from EIR except the box

Let us know if you notice any difference with the router that Pure provide. IMO the dual band wireless option offered by all other providers is worth the extra 5 euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'm with magnet sense 2015, 100mb, unlimited, no contract for 50 a month. Customer service is good, had no problem getting the details I needed off them to use my own router. Connection has never dropped on me.

If your like me and need reminding to pay bills and don't use direct debit they send an invoice and allow 2 weeks to pay, send a text 2 days before they cut you off just in case I forgot to pay it a particular month. Company I was with before just cut it off without warning and took 2 days to come back even after paying straight away.

My last experience with their customer service was very positive. I had paid my bill twice by accident and noticed within 3 hours of my mistake. Called my bank, they told me to contact magnet and asked for one of the transaction to be refunded. He gave me both transaction numbers and the times they went through. Called magnet customer service. Explained what had happened, gave him the transaction numbers and times and the one I would like refunded. He did so and the money was back in my account within a few minutes.

I'm pretty happy with them.

Funny my brother in law just got the deal for €25 a month gigabit

Yes, the ad mentions gigabit but when you click through and they tell you the available speeds, the up to 1000mb package says €55 after 6months but the up to 100mb package says €45 after 6months

I don’t disbelieve you but he got the deal for €25 I saw his contract
    I’m paying €35 for Vodafone broadband, it’s all about negotiating on the phone with the sales team

Sorry if my tone was abrupt, wasn't trying to be argumentative.

I've been looking at the VF deal myself and was hoping to get d gigabit (siro up to 1000mb) deal for €25 with €45pm after 6months.
    Maybe they're giving better deals where there is more competition?
    I can get VDSL(currently on with Eir) or Siro Fibre in my area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »
    Not if changing technologies completely, only really if going between DSL providers on an existing line

Installer required for the first go on VDSL/FTTH/cable. Router replacements. Reprogramming everything else in the house (unless all set static or you have a seperate DHCP server). I would need to change file server, printer, lighting controller settings and so on.
    Any half decent WiFi router is a DHCP server.

arp -a to see your local addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martiin

I only have the fibre broadband in my area but the service is spot on and you can change names on the bill every 12 months to get the offer year on year.
    Great speed for 4K Netflix etc last month I used 600gb of data lol

How you can change name? You need to cancel current contract and sign up for new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Joshua J wrote: »
    Pure are doing 100mb broadband and phone for €30pm for 12 months, 12 months contract. €50 after 12 months, free activation.

how do you find pure?
    ookla on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

pure good or pure S*1t?
    anyone have them?
    would like to go with VF with Siro coming possibly.
    thanks
    John :confused:

I'm on Eir FTTC and Pure told me there's no change except they switch the box

Doesn't mean jacksh1t I suppose but if my service starts pinging I'll be straight over to Vf or Eir and let comreg deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don’t disbelieve you but he got the deal for €25 I saw his contract
    I’m paying €35 for Vodafone broadband, it’s all about negotiating on the phone with the sales team

I don't think theshire was disputing the €25 part of the offer, just the cost after the first 6 months. Somebody earlier on had said gigabit broadband was €45 after 6 months, but it is actually €55. The €25 for the first six months still applies though

Advertisement