Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmerstown House membership

• 10-11-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi All, are there many PH members on here?
    Just wondering what the vibe is with the members there as I'm thinking of joining.

Also,how long does a normal Sunday comp take approx...it is a bit of a trek.

Finally,what courses does a member get reciprical rights at?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lovely but long course to play day in day out, some monster par 5s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just wondering what the vibe is with the members there as I'm thinking of joining.

Thanks in advance.
    I know there's a reciprocal arrangement with Macreddin in Wicklow. Don't know of any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I know there's a reciprocal arrangement with Macreddin in Wicklow. Don't know of any others.

I’m pretty sure the reciprocal agreement is with Galway Bay and Concra Wood or at least that’s what I was told when I enquired with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Membership for 2019 is ,€1900...too steep for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

Royal Curragh ....10 mins further down M7. Currently taking members for 2019 Generally playable all year round. Sub is 1050 + some bar and restaurant levies. together with GUI is 1250

3.50 hours average on Sunday ....3.30+ if you play early

• Advertisement

Membership for 2019 is ,€1900...too steep for me.
    Wow, that's increased quite a bit from last year. I was quoted 1400!

davegilly wrote:
    Wow, that's increased quite a bit from last year. I was quoted 1400!

Crazy money IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Crazy money IMO

For that course, it is for sure. I've yet to see it in really good condition any time I've played it.

fullstop wrote:
    For that course, it is for sure. I've yet to see it in really good condition any time I've played it.

I wouldn't agree 100% ,I played there a few times this year and I thought it was in great condition but the areas around the course look a bit unkempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I’m a former member, up to about two years ago, but not of a standard to do that course any justice. It’s a real cracker, and getting better every year. Sunday competitions could be quite long (4+hrs at least) as the timesheet fills up quickly like in all clubs, and the winter 12-hole ones are good craic.

I really like the course and I live locally, but wouldn’t consider paying that sort of money. It’s just not worth it. I’ve moved to Naas instead.

Depending on where you’re coming from I’d consider the Curragh (I was there for a few years pre-PH). It’s much more of a members club and I found it easier to get to know people. PH’s challenge with that is that a lot of its members are traveling from Dublin and don’t hang around much after they’ve played. It’s a slightly colder place as a result.

Finally, on a positive note, I’d have to say that the staff really are great and they’ve a good pro and pro shop as well, who go out of their way to be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Anatom wrote: »

I’m a former member, up to about two years ago, but not of a standard to do that course any justice. It’s a real cracker, and getting better every year. Sunday competitions could be quite long (4+hrs at least) as the timesheet fills up quickly like in all clubs, and the winter 12-hole ones are good craic.

I really like the course and I live locally, but wouldn’t consider paying that sort of money. It’s just not worth it. I’ve moved to Naas instead.

Depending on where you’re coming from I’d consider the Curragh (I was there for a few years pre-PH). It’s much more of a members club and I found it easier to get to know people. PH’s challenge with that is that a lot of its members are traveling from Dublin and don’t hang around much after they’ve played. It’s a slightly colder place as a result.

Finally, on a positive note, I’d have to say that the staff really are great and they’ve a good pro and pro shop as well, who go out of their way to be helpful.
    I am moving to Naas myself to live and looking at all the clubs in the area.

What is the cost for Naas GC and what is the course like? Good members vibe there? Decent food etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

fullstop wrote: »

Don't agree. Anytime I've played it it was in great condition. I'm not sure if the fee is €1900 either. I heard it's around €1200. It is a tough course though and you have to bring your A game.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

€1900 for a new member as far as i know.

The course has made huge improvements in the last few years and was in great condition all year, still is!

You will get in elsewhere for a bit cheaper, but those clubs will have very little space on timesheets, Palmerstown is never a problem to get out any evening and all competitions.
    the grass is always greener, but you can rock up in Palmerstown any day and you will get a game. thats hard to shy away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

PH member since it's current inception and yes Sunday can be 4 1/2 hours and it can be a brute of a course but what do you want from your golf? If you want to just stroll around in a couple of hours or do you want a test of your skills every week?
    Current membership is €1450 including GUI fees and levies but €200 to spend on Food & Beverage/Pro Shop, don't know what newbies are paying off the bat.
    Lots of good players, single figures and better, so it's hard to win but usually the winning scores are not off the scale, CSS closer to 34/35 every week.
    Reciprocal playing rights, €25 per round, with Druids Glen, Powerscourt, Concra Wood, Farnham Estate, Macreddin, Galway Bay, Bunclody and Lough Erne (£35) from what I can recall.
    Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Just to clear one thing up...received an email this week...membership is 1900 next year

Just to clear one thing up...received an email this week...membership is 1900 next year

For new members?
    For existing members?

For new members? For existing members?

Well my enquiry was for new membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Carton House is 2.5K for context here.

I really cannot believe that PH are charging 1.9K

Maybe they are happy with current numbers and if so then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

the lawman wrote: »
    Carton House is 2.5K for context here.

I really cannot believe that PH are charging 1.9K

Maybe they are happy with current numbers and if so then fair enough.

500 entrance fee as far as I know. 1200 annual sub + 200 to spend in the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Kilkea Castle is €950 for what its worth only opened back a year and a lot of money spent! new greens whicjh I was told where the best in the Country by a member of my own club! and each bunker was redone at a cost of €5000 each! :eek: some billionaire american bought it and is pumping serious money into it!

I live local and was never a fan of the course as its long and tough but have to say its in some nick and am very seriously thinking of joining it next year!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If they are new greens it will take many years for them to bed down, I doubt the y are anywhere near the best in the country, try Portmarnock or Ballyliffin Old or if not a fan on links then The Hermitage, now they are among the best on the island

shamco wrote: »
    Thats what I was quoted last year as well.
    If you take out the joining fee then it's a decent offering for what you actually get!

shamco wrote:

Email I received states 1900 for the year for a new member

Email I received states 1900 for the year for a new member

1200+500+200=1900.

So where's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I am moving to Naas myself to live and looking at all the clubs in the area.

What is the cost for Naas GC and what is the course like? Good members vibe there? Decent food etc?
    Take a look at Royal Curragh as well. I'm a member there - the course is in very good nick, with good greens. Good members vibe, with very little old-school golf silliness (that I've seen anyway). It's quite unique for an inland track, as it's on heath land so some of the holes are liking playing links golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

SeanF wrote: »
    Take a look at Royal Curragh as well. I'm a member there - the course is in very good nick, with good greens. Good members vibe, with very little old-school golf silliness (that I've seen anyway). It's quite unique for an inland track, as it's on heath land so some of the holes are liking playing links golf.
    Not unique the Heath and Cill Dara are also on the same type of terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Not unique the Heath and Cill Dara are also on the same type of terrain.
    rolleyes smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

eoghan104 wrote: »
    rolleyes smiley
    :) yep reading that back it was a bit preechy

Advertisement