Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected consequences of Brexit

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The feckers. Wanting to have somewhere to rent to sleep. Taking good centrally located rooms out of the hands of dole-scrounging wasters who would have gotten them for "free" otherwise

I'm with Patrick Guinness on the Syrians ;)

These are stupid strawman sneers, not reasonable arguments.

It could well be a problem for Irish infrastructure and housing if a lot of Eastern European (or Southern European) immigrants who would have gone to the U.K. come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It could well be a problem for Irish infrastructure and housing if a lot of Eastern European (or Southern European) immigrants who would have gone to the U.K. come to Ireland.
    But there's no reason to expect this. If they can go to anywhere in Europe; why would they all pick Ireland? Presumably, the ones who want to come to Ireland are already here. The ones who want to come to the UK will now have to go to their second-choice country, but there is no reason to suppose that this will be Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I would say that the going rate is set by the market (excluding government interference).
    If you want to include government interference then you would have to look at the numbers of small landlords (which were heavily dependent on) who got fed up with the stupid legislation and have moved to the likes of AirBnB.
    Is there any evidence that "wealthy" people owning investment property has heated the market?

It's a business, nothing wrong with that, but the state/LA's shouldn't be assisting private business to the detriment of the public during a crisis IMO. If landlords aren't making enough, how does it go, stop whinging, get a better job etc. etc.
    By wealthy I mean people/entities who can afford to speculate in the property market for profit.
    My understanding is that they're both building (which takes time) and buying whatever they can.
    In terms of buying from "these property companies" do you mean estate agents or REITs? If the latter, how many properties have we purchased from them and what alternative source could we have gotten that number from?
    What is the percentage of state purchased properties were REIT and what were from private landlords?

'Building takes time'. I've not heard that one since the early days of the Kenny government.
    That's not my understanding. They are using the private market. Except now it's the only option and they can sell business as usual as time sensitive reliance. Surely they noticed the worsening crisis year on year? I don't buy that they woke up recently and decided to rely on the private market as a stop gap. We've been here before as I recall a few years back. Recycling the excuse.
    So no corruption then, just some potential tinfoil hat thinking (at a extreme stretch)?

There's conscious efforts to carry out bad policy. That's not corruption. If you follow the quality of FF/FG politicians, not so much of a stretch. If there is any it may come out or it may not.

Either way, none of this has anything to do with Brexit as was suggested by the OP

Well it's a good lesson, even in a crisis the right people can make money while the public go mad/party. The same will be so regardless of how Brexit turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/11/16/why-britain-needs-its-own-mueller/

After reading this I have little doubt that Aaron Banks is a full Russian asset as is Farage. Unknown to him Banks married a Russian agent and was compromised.
    Britain and America, Brexit and Trump, are inextricably entwined. By Nigel Farage. By Cambridge Analytica. By Steve Bannon. By the Russian ambassador to London, Alexander Yakovenko, who has been identified by Special Counsel Robert Mueller as a conduit between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. The same questions that dog the US election dog ours, too.

Banks met the Russian Ambassador several times including he day of the Leave.EU launch with Cambridge Analytica andthe day of Bannon being appointed campaign manager for Trump.
    Banks, Bannon and Cambridge Analytica were in discussions as early as 2015.
    The day of the LeaveEU launch Banks was offered deals in Gold mines. A few days after the Brexit result one of these offerred companies was privatised just like Rosneft in the Steele dossier. Gold mines are notorious for money laundering. Was Banks laundering money for Russians? Was this where the £8 million came from.
    Read yourselves for Farage. He has more connections still.

The article states the Government is deliberately looking the other way. Its worse than that: Just before the referendum Theresa May pulled an investigation into Aaron Banks. She was asked in the Commons the day of the EU deal. She did not deny.

The UK government must know. What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

These are stupid strawman sneers, not reasonable arguments.

1) Why would an Eastern (or Southern) European person coming cause more housing difficulties/problems than an Western (or Northern) European one? Or even American/Australian/Asian that might be shipped across from London to set up or expand an office in Dublin post-Brexit?

2) Given that it is generally expected that all EU citizens living in the UK on withdrawal date will be allowed to leave, surely you'll have an accelerated migration to there to get in before the door closes? Why then have the invading caravan of EU immigrants slowed since to vote over there

• Advertisement
Advertisement