Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf GPS Watch

• 12-12-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting my father a GPS watch for Christmas.

I've narrowed it down to either the Garmin S1 (€150) or the Bushnell Neo XS (€170)

I've read up a good bit about both but can't make a decision on which to go with.

Anyone got any input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Garmin S1 probably gives all the info anyone realistically needs in a watch sized device IMHO. Don't know anything about the Bushnell.

You should pick it (the Garmin) up a fair bit cheaper than €150 though, I'm sure I've seen them advertised for around the €100-€109 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

I'd go S1 as well

And as mentioned should be closer the €100 mark which is an added bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Thanks guys.

Any idea where ye saw them going that cheap? Have been looking online and can't see anything close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

S1 is a finished product as I know, hence some of the great prices around,
    S2 is the next Garmin, been looking at one in line seem to be the next in line, around the 180+ mark, Looking to get one foe the old man, quite a few to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

I've narrowed it down to either the Garmin S1 (€150) or the Bushnell Neo XS (€170)

The Garmin S1 is perfect functionality and accuracy. Bushnell watch I had was very inaccurate and not as good functionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I bought a Bushell off Halpenny Golf.
    They told me the S1 was no longer supplied and the S2 was now the Garmin entry offering.
    They told me Bushell walked the courses to map their distances while Garmin relied on satellites so Bushell was more accurate. Also said Bushell had distances to hazards.
    Bushell was about 5 euro dearer than the Garmin S2. It's a bit more bulky.
    Hard to choose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

They told me Bushell walked the courses to map their distances while Garmin relied on satellites so Bushell was more accurate.

Even Bushnell themselves do not make this claim admitting that iGolf do all their mapping. When I spoke to iGolf in San Diego about Bushnell inaccuracies they wanted to correct by me sending them a scanned copy of a score card so hardly getting into a detailed fix in that case.

Have you used the Bushnell and found it accurate? My experience with accuracy was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

As it happens I'm also in a similar position to the OP looking for one for the father as a present. What's the best price given for the Garmin S2? I see both Halpenny and McGuirks have it online for €199 although Halpenny had a sale last week where it was advertised for €179, is that still the case?

I should add I have vouchers for McGuirks that I want to use but also want to get the best price so will push McGuirks for a price match if available elsewhere for better. McGuirks no longer appear to do the S1 hence why I'm focusing on the S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I bought a Bushell off Halpenny Golf. They told me the S1 was no longer supplied and the S2 was now the Garmin entry offering. They told me Bushell walked the courses to map their distances while Garmin relied on satellites so Bushell was more accurate. Also said Bushell had distances to hazards. Bushell was about 5 euro dearer than the Garmin S2. It's a bit more bulky. Hard to choose really.

Its actually Golf Buddy and Sky Caddy who map the courses themselves. Pretty sure Bushnell don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Igolf don't walk any courses, they bought a database that might have included walked data, but it's all satellite mapping. They wanted me to send them the data I had from walking my home course as they don't do that.
    Have you considered the Golfbuddy Wt4, great on my experience with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

They told me the S1 was no longer supplied and the S2 was now the Garmin entry offering.
    They told me Bushell walked the courses to map their distances while Garmin relied on satellites so Bushell was more accurate. Also said Bushell had distances to hazards.
    Hard to choose really.

I bought an S1 from Amazon on Black Friday for GBP80 (approx €104). When I was looking previously it seemed to be priced at around €150 with sales discounts bringing it down to the €130 -135 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Hard to choose really.

I gave this to my wife to wrap it up for Christmas as soon as I got home. To my amazement, when I opened it on Christmas, it had changed into a Golf Buddy WT3! (Or maybe I was asleep/hungover when I bought it?)

Anyway, I tried my Golf Buddy WT3 out in Roganstown last Friday. I found it's distances to the front of the green to be accurate to within 1 metre.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

whitefoot wrote: »
    Even Bushnell themselves do not make this claim admitting that iGolf do all their mapping. When I spoke to iGolf in San Diego about Bushnell inaccuracies they wanted to correct by me sending them a scanned copy of a score card so hardly getting into a detailed fix in that case.

Have you used the Bushnell and found it accurate? My experience with accuracy was terrible.

I have a Bushnell. I have found it very accurate on US courses and hit and miss at home. One course I play it is dialled in perfectly based on the course markers. On another course it can be way off on some holes vs the Garmin that my buddy is wearing. The big advantage for me is Bushnell has WW courses. The S1 is more limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I gave this to my wife to wrap it up for Christmas as soon as I got home. To my amazement, when I opened it on Christmas, it had changed into a Golf Buddy WT3! (Or maybe I was asleep/hungover when I bought it?)

Anyway, I tried my Golf Buddy WT3 out in Roganstown last Friday. I found it's distances to the front of the green to be accurate to within 1 metre.:D

Or your wife is some woman altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Has anyone used the Samsung watches for Golf ? Thinking of getting the Gear frontier as they are down to circa e200 now that the new Galaxy watch is out , like the fact that you can do loads of other stuff and supposed to last 4 days between charging , currently have the Garmin S2 but fed up of overnight charging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got the Tom Tom golfer 2 watch and highly recommend it. Fantastic battery and it records all your strokes in a round. Distances to hazards etc as well. Only downside is you have to manually add putts but all you do to add them is cover the screen with your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have a Garmin S20, works great for most distances. You get an odd hole that has been changed and it is out of date, but generally spot on. I check it from time to time with my laser and its usually within a yard variance. The battery lasts for weeks if you are not using it for golf purposes, and can easily do 2 or even possibly 3 rounds of golf. Charges quickly too, I cant imagine having an issue unless you are playing non-stop.

Since I got the S20 they have also released the S10, which is basically the same watch with a few less features like shot detection. If you are just interested in distances on the course, I would say the S10 is probably a great and inexpensive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I got the Tom Tom golfer 2 watch and highly recommend it. Fantastic battery and it records all your strokes in a round. Distances to hazards etc as well. Only downside is you have to manually add putts but all you do to add them is cover the screen with your hand.

I looked at this watch and was put off by a review which said the shot tracing feature included both a vibration and a loud pinging sound which couldn't be turned off. That (the pinging sound) would annoy the hell out of me and I imagine my playing partners also I imagine.

Have they updated the software/firmware to allow that sound to be turned off?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I looked at this watch and was put off by a review which said the shot tracing feature included both a vibration and a loud pinging sound which couldn't be turned off. That (the pinging sound) would annoy the hell out of me and I imagine my playing partners also I imagine.

Have they updated the software/firmware to allow that sound to be turned off?

Yes both can be turned off now. I leave it on vibrate and it’s barely noticeable. It vibrates once when you take your practice swing and that’s it. It won’t tag a second swing in the same location if you know what I mean. It’s just remembering to tag putts that’s a pain.

Advertisement