Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

City Pharmacy Dame St. - Low Cost Med Scheme

• 21-06-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Just walked by City Pharmacy on Dame St, Dublin 2.
    Looks like they are launching a low cost drug scheme for generics to compete with Healthwave in Dundrum but without the subscription charge.
    It's mentioned on their Facebook page too. Staff member said all details will be on their website from tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Might charge for postage instead of a subscription fee though?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

vicwatson wrote: »
    Might charge for postage instead of a subscription fee though?

Info on their website now. They don't deliver medicines. So I guess they are just focusing on people who have access to Dublin City centre.

Info on their website now. They don't deliver medicines. So I guess they are just focusing on people who have access to Dublin City centre.

Aint competing with healthwave then.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

No delivery !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for the tip. They have a generic med I take priced at €6 whereas once upon a startled time ago my local tried to charge me €30 for same!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Advice is to check Healthwave too as medicines seem to be at least a euro dearer and no delivery so worth comparing imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

vicwatson wrote: »
    Advice is to check Healthwave too as medicines seem to be at least a euro dearer and no delivery so worth comparing imo

Not really, many of the most common medicines are cheaper in this new place. Depends on your own prescription so as you say, worth comparing.

Delivery not available, but then there's no joining fee like there is in Healthwave.

Even if they are more slightly more expensive in some cases it will probably work out cheaper if you don't have to pay 25e per year fee.

Delivery not available but they are probably happy to focus on the 1.2 million people living in Dublin and not have to incur the nationwide delivery costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Alan McG

Was just in City Pharmacy and it certainly doesn't look like they offer the range of generic medicines at the prices they claim.

I was looking for cetirizine dihydrochloride and aspirin, which on their website was advertised as Zirtek (€3.95) and Nu-Seal (€5.95), both 28 pack. What they offered me was Cetrine (€9.98 for 30) and Disprin (€3.50 for 16)

So this works out as price per unit of:
    Cetirizine dihydrochloride: 14.1c vs 33.3c
    Aspirin:21.2c vs 21.9c

It's just disappointing that they don't stock any of the products they claim to on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alan McG wrote: »
    Was just in City Pharmacy and it certainly doesn't look like they offer the range of generic medicines at the prices they claim.
    I was looking for cetirizine dihydrochloride and aspirin, which on their website was advertised as Zirtek (€3.95) and Nu-Seal (€5.95), both 28 pack. What they offered me was Cetrine (€9.98 for 30) and Disprin (€3.50 for 16)

My experience of them with generic prescription meds has been good so far... so I'm wondering what the issue is.

I am guessing you did not have a prescription for Zirtek or low-dose aspirin?
    I suspect that those are OTC meds that you purchased.
    They should have explained that you in store if my theory is correct.

Previously, you could not get 75mg aspirin OTC in the Republic, which is what is listed on the website:
    http://www.citypharmacy.ie/city_saver.html

Was the disprin for 75 mg or 300mg?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Alan McG

I didn't even look at the dosage, but it's actually 500mg Disprin!

Yeah, they were OTC meds. So am I to understand that the meds listed on their website are only available if you have a prescription!? Even for meds that require no prescription? Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I didn't even look at the dosage, but it's actually 500mg Disprin!

Yeah, they were OTC meds. So am I to understand that the meds listed on their website are only available if you have a prescription!? Even for meds that require no prescription? Makes no sense to me.

Aspirin 75mg is only available in prescription in Ireland

The prescription pack of things like Zirtek/Cetrine cost less to the pharmacy than the OTC pack

So this works out as price per unit of:
    Cetirizine dihydrochloride: 14.1c vs 33.3c
    Aspirin:21.2c vs 21.9c

It's just disappointing that they don't stock any of the products they claim to on their website.

Hi, they certainly stock all the items they claim on their website. As per the leaflets they gave to me and on the website and the poster in the shop window all these items are for prescription medicines on foot of a valid prescription. I found it very clear what the scheme consists of once I bothered to read the info.

I checked the site and they didn't have the drug I was looking for listed (lercanidipine 20mg). They took my details and the pharmacist called me back a short time later with "the best price he could do". It was much cheaper than what I had been paying in my local Boots and comparative to Healthwave (without the need to pay 25e per year).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Arundel

Anyone know the cost of ELIQUIS (apixaban) an Anticoaqulant med which replaces Warfin. I would like to know if anyone has bought it in Spain and if it
    cheaper there.

I got an e-mail from City Pharmacy today saying I get an extra 10% on everything in store for having signed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aspirin 75mg is only available in prescription in Ireland
    Any idea why this is only available with prescription?

It seems to be about a quarter of the price in the UK.

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/aspirin-enteric-coated-75mg-tablets-low-dose-aspirin/prd-hsk

I remember getting a large tub of them for a few dollars in the US some time back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Any idea why this is only available with prescription?

Short answer: in Ireland, it's only licensed for use to prevent recurrence of a heart attack or stroke - which obviously should only be managed by a doctor - whereas in the UK it's licensed for prevention of heart disease, which is something you can decide yourself is a good idea.

Long answer... well I'd be speculating but I could come up with an idea or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Short answer: in Ireland, it's only licensed for use to prevent recurrence of a heart attack or stroke - which obviously should only be managed by a doctor - whereas in the UK it's licensed for prevention of heart disease, which is something you can decide yourself is a good idea.

Long answer... well I'd be speculating but I could come up with an idea or two.
    Thanks, that makes some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just noticed a new pharmacy today. Pure Pharmacy at Wexford St/Aungier St junction where O'Haras/Fannins used to be. Looks like they're in the cut price prescription medicine game too although no price-list on their website.

9apaqf.jpg

293u974.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement