Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Ryder Cup

Options
  • 15-10-2016 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

Now that the 2016 thread has been closed, time to start thinking about Paris. Does anyone know when they are going to announce who will captain the teams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Jim Furyk and Thomas Bjorn! Maybe Thomas Levet as it's in France but most likely Bjorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big question is will Beef make the team?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

European team
    Rory
    Rose
    Stenson
    Sergio
    Pieters
    Willet
    Gmac
    Noren
    RCB
    Jon Rahm
    Lowry
    Romain langasque

U.S. Team
    Rickie
    Dustin
    Reed
    Speith
    Koepka
    Walker
    Justin Thomas
    Kuchar
    Bubba
    Snedeker
    Mickelson
    Finau

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Big question is will Beef make the team?

I really hope not.I don't think I can listen to any more sh1te about him.

It seems everything he says and does is absolutely hilarious despite him not being entertaining at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It seems everything he says and does is absolutely hilarious despite him not being entertaining at all.

In fairness though that's not his fault

Surely Tyler Hatton will be a shoe in for the next team

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Really?..... a guy who shows a bit of love for what he does?? I don't think anyone said he's hilarious..... he is what golf needs more of..... I.e. personality.....
    And he can play a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

European team
    Rory
    Rose
    Stenson
    Sergio
    Pieters
    Willet
    Gmac
    Noren
    RCB
    Jon Rahm
    Lowry
    Romain langasque

You're missing Westy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

slave1 wrote: »
    You're missing Westy

that's because he didn't list the vice captains

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

European team
    Rory, Rose, Stenson, Sergio, Pieters, Willett, Gmac, Noren, RCB, Jon Rahm, Lowry, Romain langasque

Some good ones in there. Dont think Langasque will be the French man. I actually I think there will be 2 frenchmen. Alexander Levy and Victor Dubuisson. I think Chris Wood will get back there again, he looks really good and I would expect Kaymer to make it on merit

Rory, Rose, Stenson, Sergio, Pieters, Kaymer, Dubuisson, Noren, RCB, Rahm, Wood, Levy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

but he's fat, has a funny beard and weird teeth ?
    I totally agree with you by the way, and i think there will come a time when he realises he should let his golf do the talking, great to have a character but he tries, way, way, way too hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

AnneFrank wrote: »
    but he's fat, has a funny beard and weird teeth ?
    I totally agree with you by the way, and i think there will come a time when he realises he should let his golf do the talking, great to have a character but he tries, way, way, way too hard

Agree as well. Seems a nice guy and all that but I don't get the star attraction. We will all have to go veggie and forget about The Beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Will rahm ever join the European tour or has he. Have a feeling all he wants is the pga tour.

that's because he didn't list the vice captains

Yep, bang on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

AnneFrank wrote: »
    he tries, way, way, way too hard

Seemed (to me) to be the yank fans that have warmed to him. He himself doesn't shout "beef" after he hit shots. He's not instigating attention his way. He's interviewed, gives his opinions & responds friendly to fans and that's it. Commentators make him out to be some cRaZy guy. But he appears to me to be focussed on his game, just with a different accent and build to most of the other guys.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Seemed (to me) to be the yank fans that have warmed to him. He himself doesn't shout "beef" after he hit shots. He's not instigating attention his way. He's interviewed, gives his opinions & responds friendly to fans and that's it. Commentators make him out to be some cRaZy guy. But he appears to me to be focussed on his game, just with a different accent and build to most of the other guys.

don't get me wrong he's seems decent, even funny, but all the running around high fiving the crowds going from tee to green, doing way more interviews talking about being himself and other nonsense that has nothing to do with his game. I think he's been made a mug of personally by the media, but i'm sure he's raking it in through endorsements.
    At what price though, selling your soul is never good. I'd say concentrate on your game and sign autographs and be nice when the round is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

No surprise there

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Rikand wrote: »
    No surprise there

It's no surprise but it's a fairly uninspiring choice . Will be good for a few boozy nights out with Darren and co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

rooney30 wrote:
    It's no surprise but it's a fairly uninspiring choice . Will be good for a few boozy nights out with Darren and co

Who should've got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

rooney30 wrote: »

what a stupid comment
    do you really think all these guys are interested in is a piss up?

• Advertisement

i think it was the obvious choice myself with the mans experience, both playing and on the tour committee,
    Seems like a chap all the players would get on with too, unlike Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Who should've got it?

Thought the might have Jean van deVelde involved.

Dbu wrote: »
    Thought the might have Jean van deVelde involved.

played once, 17 years ago, right after his open meltdown
    wasn't picked to play at all, Friday or Saturday
    lost his singles, actually he didn't just loose, he was walloped

has he ever featured as a vice captain? or done any sort of captaining at all?

why on earth would anyone think he should be captain?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think he meant "involved", not captain, a vice captain would be a good move, help with local logistics/profiling the event in France where I assume he is well known/language barrier etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

rooney30 wrote:
    Nick Faldo, like Bertie Ahern he deserves a second chance 😀

Sir Nicks boots are too big for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Seve OB wrote: »
    played once, 17 years ago, right after his open meltdown
    wasn't picked to play at all, Friday or Saturday
    lost his singles, actually he didn't just loose, he was walloped

has he ever featured as a vice captain? or done any sort of captaining at all?

why on earth would anyone think he should be captain?

Captained the European team in 2011 Seve trophy. Paul McGinley captained GB&I

slave1 wrote: »
    Think he meant "involved", not captain, a vice captain would be a good move, help with local logistics/profiling the event in France where I assume he is well known/language barrier etc

yea, well captain chooses the vice captains so considering he was only appointed yesterday there is plenty of time for him to choose vice captains down the road

could be a good choice for vice alright. he can teach the team how to choke and then they can do the opposite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

not sure on thomas being a good choice seems quite moody which could effect decsion making during the match. I think this was always on the cards though.

sky88 wrote: »
    seems quite moody .

He's perfect for the french so :D

• Advertisement

Jim furyk confirmed as the American Ryder cup captain for 2018.

Love will be a vice captain.

Thought it was going to be Stricker as he is captaining the presidents cup team this year.

Advertisement