Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price discrepancies in American racing

• 15-04-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

I have never really bet on American horse-racing until about 2 weeks ago I started looking into the races. What struck my attention was the discrepancies between the bookies' prices and the prices on the screen/at the track. In general, the Americans will have vastly differing prices for some horses than the bookies.

For example, I was just looking at Race 1 in Mountaineer Park where the favourite with British bookies was No Laca Talent who went off at 5/4. However, on the screen, and the prices being displayed by the American Channel, had a joint favourite situation with No Laca Talent and another horse called Lovin D'cause both going off at 5/2. Now 5/2 is a big difference from 5/4 being given by the bookies I was betting with. But what was worse was that Lovin D'Cause went off at 9/2 with the bookies, rather than 5/2. I backed Lovin D'cause e/w based on this fact alone and sure enough Lovin D'Cause won and No Laca Talent came a close second.

I'm just curious what these prices being displayed at American tracks are and whether there is money to be made by spotting big price discrepancies between English and American bookmakers? Are English/Irish bookmakers more accurate and should the American prices be ignored?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm guessing the American prices are similar to the Tote here, as in it's a dividend as opposed to 'odds'. The prices are more a guide like you would see at a greyhound track here.

Advertisement