Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2018

• 22-11-2017 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    It gives me great pleasure to announce the list of venues for the forthcoming year. I’d like to thank all the lads on the committee for the help over the last few months with feedback on organising the list. I’d also like to thank the lads on nominating me as Captain and especially Bally-k the outgoing Captain for the help on handing over the running of the society and everything involved.
    My own golfing experience pretty much started when I took up golf approximately 5 years ago and started going to the Boards outings. It’s always been a fun society with good banter and I hope to keep that going this year. I put a lot of time into picking the courses this year by making out a drive time map of the courses and hopefully I have catered for all our members. I would hope we can keep our existing regulars and hopefully we can entice back some old members and as always new members are very welcome:)
    So here’s the list ;

CORBALLIS-January 20th -10:30
    Carton O’Meara-February 17th-10:30
    Dromoland-March 24th-11:40
    Douglas (to be confirmed)April
    Dundrum -May 19th-12:30
    Mitchelstown-June 16th-11:00
    Palmerstown-July 21st-12:40
    Moyvalley-August 18th-12:30
    Captains Prize-Rosses Point-September 22nd 12:00

Fingers crossed that the majority are happy and any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
    A Post Punk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

liking the list. think i may rejoin the society after taking a couple of years out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Best of luck for the year Captain. Is the Corballis outing a match play event?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭a post punk

Best of luck for the year Captain. Is the Corballis outing a match play event?
    Thanks space , it’s not counting towards golfer of the year so we can play match play format if people want ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck for the year Captain, will see you at as many events as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Best of luck for the year Captain, great courses to play this year, looking forward to the new season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Best of luck Captain, great to have you on board, a real rock in the society over the years and well deserved.

I won't make them all next year unfortunately but the one I'm really raging I'll miss is Dromoland cause when you were touting the list, that one really whetted the appetite.

But I have a conflict and Dromoland looses out :(

Start on a links, finish on a links, thats class.

Captains will be epic I'm sure. Maybe enough to entice the links stalwarts back to the society ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks space , it’s not counting towards golfer of the year so we can play match play format if people want ?

Well the Dubs vs Culchies event last year in Wicklow was a good ice-breaker, and since it won't be counting towards GOTY, it might be worth running again maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Best of Luck el Captaineo... Quality list .. Hmmm really taught the Captains day would be in the rebel county! May cancel my apartment now :D

Cant wait 2018 is going to be my year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

best of luck for the year captain!

like the course list hope i will be able to make some outings this year

be interested to see what people think of the greens in Douglas! Played Dundrum earlier this year and thought it was a good track too!

Wont make Corballis which is a shame as its a course i want to play after hearing so much about it here!

Carton should be my first outing hopefully!

Well the Dubs vs Culchies event last year in Wicklow was a good ice-breaker, and since it won't be counting towards GOTY, it might be worth running again maybe?
    Yeah it was a good starter and blessed with the weather on the day aswell!!

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Best of luck Captain, great to have you on board, a real rock in the society over the years and well deserved.

I won't make them all next year unfortunately but the one I'm really raging I'll miss is Dromoland cause when you were touting the list, that

But I have a conflict and Dromoland looses out :(

Start on a links, finish on a links, thats class.

Captains will be epic I'm sure. Maybe enough to entice the links stalwarts back to the society ;)

I’ve always loved links golf from the start, it gives the short hitters plenty of run and the long hitters have to do a lot more thinking on the tee which really levels out the handicap gap in my opinion anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have read the Boards Golf Society: Rules and Regulations thread, but I am maybe missing something...

How do I join the Society?

I have read the Boards Golf Society: Rules and Regulations thread, but I am maybe missing something...

How do I join the Society?
    Hi, you can pm your GUI handicap to myself or any of the moderators here if you have 1 or if you don’t have 1 a general gist of golfing ability and we’ll take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Good luck with the year, will try to make as many as possible

J

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

You do realise pp that arranging the weather is also part or your remit as captain, don't you.
    Lots of great courses there, there's not many societies with a list like that

You do realise pp that arranging the weather is also part or your remit as captain, don't you.
    Lots of great courses there, there's not many societies with a list like that
    I can only guarantee the good weather in the rebel county where the sun is always shining:) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

I can only guarantee the good weather in the rebel county where the sun is always shining:) :):)

So take it I wont need my boat down there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Break80

Hate to mention the elephant in the room but are some of these courses a bit pricey. just need to know so I can start saving the penneys

Break80 wrote: »
    Hate to mention the elephant in the room but are some of these courses a bit pricey. just need to know so I can start saving the penneys
    Good question, the prices I have got back the average is just above €40 overall. So I have 2 courses in there that are under our normal fee of €35 that I hope will subsidise the 3 courses above budget. I have some sponsorship secured but in the event of not making up the difference 2 of the outings may cost an extra €5 approx. I will let everyone know well in advance if this happens. I would hope the events will be well attended to avoid the above average rate. Also the captains prize is more than the €35 as usual every year!
    Hope everyone is happy with this a lot of the golf clubs have put up prices this year with the supposed lift in the economy!!I presume :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Best of luck for the year - I hear you are even giving all of the committee a bonus of 2 extra shots to their handicaps!!!
    Also, you need to submit the permission slip to my wife and take the grief for all of the outings!!

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    Best of luck for the year - I hear you are even giving all of the committee a bonus of 2 extra shots to their handicaps!!!
    Also, you need to submit the permission slip to my wife and take the grief for all of the outings!!
    Ha ha wishful thinking:) permission slips are hard to come by for myself never mind sorting you out :):):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ssbob wrote: »

Now, if herself won't let you support A Post Punk this year - ya may give up golf!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnk16

Hi All, new to boards. is the society open to new members ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Johnk16 wrote: »
    Hi All, new to boards. is the society open to new members ?

absolutely

keep your eye here and we will be kicking off again in January

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks good, running a society and bookings etc. takes time, been there, so well done for stepping up and good luck with 2018

Lads I just want to add if you don’t join as a member the visitor rate applies just to keep it fair on the regular attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

After not making any events last year. Definitely going to try and make a couple this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks I think I'll stick my name to join the society (might get my dad to join as well if that's ok?). I probably won't make all the outings but I'll do my best to make as many as possible.

Two rounds under my belt this year after three years away with a shoulder injury. One more card and I'll have a handicap back again, hopefully less than the 20 I finished on :pac:

Pm seve o b here on the forum with your details if ye are interested and we’ll take it from there .thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

do you have a confirmed date for Douglas in April?

Advertisement