Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

• 09-12-2017 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

New competition up on Public Jobs for control room operator with AGS. 4 x 12 hour shifts on & 4 days off, with 25% shift allowance + Sunday & bank holiday allowances when rostered. Standard civil service starting scale of €438 gross p/w. Positions in:

Harcourt Square, Dublin 2

Anglesea Street, Cork

Murrogh, Renmore Rd, Galway

Castlebar (GISC)

Waterford City

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/67440.htm?lang=en

Gong to give it a go anyway. Best of luck!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

An interesting but tough job I would imagine. Quite a lot of responsibility for a Clerical Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Am a CO at the moment in peoplepoint in a fairly meaningless job, so going to give this a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Kingp35 wrote: »
    An interesting but tough job I would imagine. Quite a lot of responsibility for a Clerical Officer.

That's for about 10.30 p/h.. Which isn't great for that type of work imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

job seeker wrote: »
    Kingp35 wrote: »

That's for about 10.30 p/h.. Which isn't great for that type of work imo..

I'd say it works out as more. They get a 25% shift allowance over regular CO salary

I'd say it works out as more. They get a 25% shift allowance over regular CO salary

Ah sure that's right, I missed that! I might apply just for the interview practice.

But if I got a job like this I'd be pretty nervous. connecting the calls.. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 AGS2017

Is this a similar pay scale to the civilian immigration jobs at Dublin Airport?

Is there much chance of overtime/additional shifts for the CO's at Dublin Airport to bump up their pay with the odd shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

‘An extra payment is also available when rostered to work on a Sunday and Bank/Public Holiday’

What does this actually mean in money or % terms?

Is this extra payment for Sunday’s etc in addition to the normal shift allowance payable on all shifts? Or instead of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

438€ before tax and that is that correct? That seems very low for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

TallGlass wrote: »
    438€ before tax and that is that correct? That seems very low for the role.

That's before the extra shift allowances. 438 a week is basic CO salary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Working in a control room presently for a large private security company.

That level of pay advertised is low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Applied for this also i'm sure theres more to the pay fingers crossed I get an interview!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Applied fo this myself, gonna use it as a stepping stone to try get into the guards. Does anyone know when th assessment is?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Applied for the Dublin location. Will see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I am thinking about applying for Castlebar (GISC) role .I belive thats to do more with helping the Guards with data input and relaying information to the Guards.Is there much room for promotion with these roles,I just graduated with a degree in IT and would like to use it and wonder what promotion if any there is if any ?

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    Applied fo this myself, gonna use it as a stepping stone to try get into the guards. Does anyone know when the assessment is?

Is that possible?

The application process isn't closed until the 3rd of January anyway. Not sure about the assessment!

I am thinking about applying for Castlebar (GISC) role .I belive thats to do more with helping the Guards with data input and relaying information to the Guards.Is there much room for promotion with these roles,I just graduated with a degree in IT and would like to use it and wonder what promotion if any there is if any ?

Here is more info on Casltebar!

Link

As for your qualification, I assumed it was open to people from any working background? I may be wrong though!

Received an message there with practice material. I'll have a better look at it later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Received an message there with practice material. I'll have a better look at it later this evening.

Me too have it printed off and ready to study before I even attempt the practice modules

Bazzy wrote: »
    Me too have it printed off and ready to study before I even attempt the practice modules

Good. I just read it on the screen and had a go at the practice tests there.

Verbal reasoning: This was just reading the information and selecting. True, False or can't tell. It's essentially about just reading the passage fast. I guess, then base your answer on what you've read.

The situational behaviour questionnaire: Well it's exactly that. It's not timed and in the booklet it stated that there are no correct answers. So you just have to answer it as honest as possible or which answer best describes you. You don't get to practice this.

call handling: This was a pain in the arse, I found. You gotta, type fairly quickly. I done it twice. First time, I ran out of time half way through the first question. I repeated it (you can do this practice test as often as you wish.) I made it to the third lot of information and ran out of time then. It's pretty much about about typing fast to input all the information in the shortest amount of time.

Overall the practice test are pretty helpful..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 employ me

Well you're doing better than myself. The link to the call handling practice test within the familiarisation booklet led me to a screen that said "this exercise has been completed"

How frustrated am I?

• Advertisement

employ me wrote: »
    Well you're doing better than myself. The link to the call handling practice test within the familiarisation booklet led me to a screen that said "this exercise has been completed"

How frustrated am I?

Have you done it once already? If, so there is an email you should have received, which provides a link to the same test again. This can be done as many times as you want.

EDIT: You should have received it from PAS! Subject: Additional link to practice material for the Call Handling test.

Have you done it once already? If, so there is an email you should have received, which provides a link to the same test again. This can be done as many times as you want.

EDIT: You should have received it from PAS! Subject: Additional link to practice material for the Call Handling test.

No, hadn't done at all (hence my frustration). I do have a separate link to the practice you can do repeatedly, just wasn't sure if not receiving the material in the first link would put me at a disadvantage. If it's just the same material then I'll stop fretting.

Cheers

No, hadn't done at all (hence my frustration). I do have a separate link to the practice you can do repeatedly, just wasn't sure if not receiving the material in the first link would put me at a disadvantage. If it's just the same material then I'll stop fretting.

Cheers

Oh I get you. What you do in that case is click the link in the message. Select call test. Then you have to register your email and name. Then you can do it for the first time. After that you follow the link in the emails to repeat it.

Oh I get you. What you do in that case is click the link in the message. Select call test. Then you have to register your email and name. Then you can do it for the first time. After that you follow the link in the emails to repeat it.

All good thanks job seeker. I've completed the practise now. ðŸ‘

All good thanks job seeker. I've completed the practise now. ðŸ‘

No worries! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭weadick

Is that possible?

The application process isn't closed until the 3rd of January anyway. Not sure about the assessment!

Yeah it doesnt make any sense to use this job as a 'stepping stone' for the Guards as it is a completely different position with a totally different selection process. This seems to be along the lines of a Clerical Officer competition.

weadick wrote: »
    Yeah it doesnt make any sense to use this job as a 'stepping stone' for the Guards as it is a completely different position with a totally different selection process. This seems to be along the lines of a Clerical Officer competition.

That's what I assumed. It's really publicJobs.ie that are doing this campaign on behalf of the Guards also.

EDIT: This position however, would enable you to transfer within the P.S. which is a benefit!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

weadick wrote: »

I think it clearly does. If someone wants to be a member of ags and shows such an interest in the job they where willing to take a job in a garda control room taking 999 calls from the public and other emergency services and dispatching ags vehicles to calls. It would give that person plenty to talk about at interview and would give them a wide view of the job.

Instead of: "I wanna be gard cos i like the cars and stuff, I watch road wars on repeat to learn the lingo"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Texts went out to people today for pulse in Castlebar, they had to do a separate campaign from the clerical officer campaign as so many people were rejecting the position, you could reject it 3 times and still stay on the panel.

• Advertisement

I think it clearly does. If someone wants to be a member of ags and shows such an interest in the job they where willing to take a job in a garda control room taking 999 calls from the public and other emergency services and dispatching ags vehicles to calls. It would give that person plenty to talk about at interview and would give them a wide view of the job.

Instead of: "I wanna be gard cos i like the cars and stuff, I watch road wars on repeat to learn the lingo"

That's true, that it would be an advantage during the interview stage. Although, you'd be still required to undergo the same recruitment process as everyone else, to become a Garda and I assume that you'd be viewed as a clerical officer. As this is essentially is C.O. position.

Advertisement