Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Interesting that that article says it will be in two variants.... 39,2(240km) or 64 kWh(390km)

Since Hyundai market the Ioniq on usable capacity that would suggest they actually have something like 44 and 68kWh batteries? Thats decent and given Hyundai's efficiency figures Im sure the 64kWh variant will be a cracking EV SUV!

And the price looks reasonable too. Lets hope that translates to here. Availability will, of course, be the big issue.

The 390km figure is on the Korean cycle which they claim is similar to EPA figures... anyone know if that's true?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I have read elsewhere that the South Korean cycle is closer to epa , which is more real world, 390 km outstanding, Cork city to Donegal town on "one tank"
    I cant wait. Talked to Hyundai Ireland yesterday they expect in in showrooms late April/ Early May time frame.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Korean agency gave the Ioniq ratings of Compound: 191km (city center: 206km, expressway: 173km)

Which is pretty much spot on from my point of view.
    The car should be revealed at Geneva, I'm planning on the Kona being a 191, I'll be surprised if they get them in for 182.

Hyundai realised that they screwed up with the Ioniq and not ordering enough battery packs. I dont think they will make the same mistake again. Fingers crossed we get them here in Ireland in 2018. This is a ground breaking ev ( range , style .. )and its not even on anyones radar...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any guess on Irish price?

• Advertisement

This is from the Korean site

n South Korea, before incentives Hyundai Kona Electric will cost between 43 million and 48 million KRW (33.016 and 36.840 euros). The electric version will still be much more expensive than its gas counterpart, which in most European countries can be bought for less than 20.000 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dglflyer wrote: »

n South Korea, before incentives Hyundai Kona Electric will cost between 43 million and 48 million KRW (33.016 and 36.840 euros). The electric version will still be much more expensive than its gas counterpart, which in most European countries can be bought for less than 20.000 euros.

How much is the Ioniq EV in Korea, as a point of comparison?

Edit: Apparently 38 - 43m KRW, so the above euro prices shouldn't be too far off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The PushEVs articles indicates they are charging 2,000,000 won more for Kona than the Ioniq (starts at 40,896,000)

That's about €1,500 more, I'd guess €31,500 for the smaller battery and €35,000 for the large one. (after incentives)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

The battery tech is the most interesting part

150kg lighter than Bolt pack for 64kWh

New ncm811 chemistry

Thats breakthrough stuff with that weight loss

Samsung SDI have been showing off new tech this week too

Tesla have competition finally

Thats what I thought , 150kg thats a huge weight savings. There must have been some considerable battery advances recently . The Tesla roadster getting
    200kwh ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I got excited, then you knocked me down :-(

But I will get up again

I cant believe what some are calling a "game changer" of a car is being kept under wraps so well . All will be revealed on Tuesday.

After the deep disappointment that the 2018 Leaf has been for me, I'm trying not to get too optimistic on this one.

But if Hyundai deliver on this it could put a major dent in Nissan's plans. I still think Nissan will sell a ton of Leafs but on paper at least the Kona should prove a much better option.

150 mile/240km and 230 mile/370km ranges, reasonable prices, and CCS charging (soon) of 150kw?

Sorry if my math is cock eyed but that would mean adding potentially 90% i.e. 200mile/320km to the 60kwh car in about 20 minutes???

That would be phenomenal.

I think they're going to regret only planning 20,000 Kona EVs this year.

liamog wrote: »
    only planning 20,000 Kona EVs this year.

Oh ffs you're kidding?

Have they learned nothing? Bring out the Ioniq which wipes the floor with the 30kwh Leaf but make a balls of quantities allowing Nissan to regain momentum with the 40kwh.

Now they will bring out the Kona which will again wipe the floor with the 40kwh Leaf but they'll balls up the availability again and hand the title back to the 60kwh Leaf.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    liamog wrote: »
    only planning 20,000 Kona EVs this year.

Oh ffs you're kidding?

Have they learned nothing? Bring out the Ioniq which wipes the floor with the 30kwh Leaf but make a balls of quantities allowing Nissan to regain momentum with the 40kwh.

Now they will bring out the Kona which will again wipe the floor with the 40kwh Leaf but they'll balls up the availability again and hand the title back to the 60kwh Leaf.
    They have no intention of selling EV's, that has been obvious for a while
    Ioniq is proof of that.
    Nissan in fairness to them are the only big auto company with any bit of interest, rest don't want to know and will happily lose sales to them till they are dragged kicking and screaming into the EV world 
    Tesla should be gods in here
    I will happily give them my money for Model 3 LR, we should all be the same 
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Dglflyer wrote: »

Jesus that's a steep price difference... Strongly considering Kona for my next car, but the EV price, goddamn. As much as I'd like my next one to be green, I'll have no choice but to opt for petrol at that price.

thierry14 wrote: »
    They have no intention of selling EV's, that has been obvious for a while
    Ioniq is proof of that.
    Nissan in fairness to them are the only big auto company with any bit of interest, rest don't want to know and will happily lose sales to them till they are dragged kicking and screaming into the EV world
    Tesla should be gods in here
    I will happily give them my money for Model 3 LR, we should all be the same
    Can't wait.

You say the same about every company, it is getting boring now. Blah Blah Blah nobody wants electric blah blah blah Tesla are great Blah Blah Blah

You will be sick of looking at your money by the time you get to even look at a Tesla 3, let alone buy it

Planning for 20,000 car as a start is good business. Especially in the crossover market places which is flooded with cheap versions(Yeti, Juke etc etc).

The Ioniq was a success but at the start the price was low, I think a few people on here got bargain. It was only after a few months the dealers knew it was a good thing and priced stayed at ticket price. But that was in Ireland, was it as huge a success outside? I dont know?

It is same with Kona, 36k v a Juke which is starting at 20k. They will be the first company to bring out a main stream Crossover. It could flop, the Irish market will like it but will the UK/Germany/US which are the real markets? nobody knows....

Makes perfect sense, also by telling everyone they are only making 20k then people wont sit around and buy them up quickly. I am sure they have a strategy in the back ground that if the 20k sell out quick they can ram up manufacturing, or I hope they do.

Based on the results they have seen Worldwide for the Ioniq I think it makes perfect sense why the low start with Kona

https://pushevs.com/2018/02/22/hyundai-ioniq-surpasses-100-000-units-sold-worldwide/

Hybrid outselling the full electric over 3:1

Maybe it is different in Irish market but we are bloody tiny.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It's all about availability of battery cells, again. Some makers have them in suitable quantities due to long term plan (Tesla, Nissan), others don't.

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    It's all about availability of battery cells, again. Some makers have them in suitable quantities due to long term plan (Tesla, Nissan), others don't.

That issue is been over played.

If you look at the competition to Hyundai none of them have a Full electric cross over.

The Ioniq was developed to go after the Prius, a hybrid

The only alternative really to diesel/petrol is the hybrid range from Toyota in Rav etc

This could be disaster and HYundai would need to pull and convert to Hybrid, better to have 20k cars to sell at that stage instead of 100k car

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You say the same about every company, it is getting boring now. Blah Blah Blah nobody wants electric blah blah blah Tesla are great Blah Blah Blah

You will be sick of looking at your money by the time you get to even look at a Tesla 3, let alone buy it

Planning for 20,000 car as a start is good business. Especially in the crossover market places which is flooded with cheap versions(Yeti, Juke etc etc).

The Ioniq was a success but at the start the price was low, I think a few people on here got bargain. It was only after a few months the dealers knew it was a good thing and priced stayed at ticket price. But that was in Ireland, was it as huge a success outside? I dont know?

It is same with Kona, 36k v a Juke which is starting at 20k. They will be the first company to bring out a main stream Crossover. It could flop, the Irish market will like it but will the UK/Germany/US which are the real markets? nobody knows....

Makes perfect sense, also by telling everyone they are only making 20k then people wont sit around and buy them up quickly. I am sure they have a strategy in the back ground that if the 20k sell out quick they can ram up manufacturing, or I hope they do.

[snip] Mod Note: civility please

Strange from a guy with a luxurious and exotic e-Golf

Demand is massive for EV’s

Backlog of nearly a year for Ioniq worldwide

Tesla model 3 with 500,000 pre orders, unprecedented in the car world

New Nissan Leaf sold out worldwide

Everyone selling Ev's cant meet demand, from GM, VW, all the way to Tesla worldwide

Hyundai group could sell 100's of thousands of Ev's if available

Price lol

They are expensive for large auto because they are not serious about EV’s, making 20k EV’s like Hyundai is not enough to get price down

Expensive battery outsourcing with a 20k order book to LG chem is a joke

They can't make enough batteries is bull too

If they put a tender out for 500k battery packs the likes of LG, CATL, Panasonic, Samsung would have plants up plenty quick to meet orders

They cant put up those plants because none of the big auto are serious.

They are all holding backs EV’s with exception of Tesla and arguably Nissan

That is obvious to all

thierry14 wrote: »
    [snip] Mod Note: civility please

Strange from a guy with a luxurious and exotic e-Golf

Demand is massive for EV’s

Backlog of nearly a year for Ioniq worldwide

Tesla model 3 with 500,000 pre orders, unprecedented in the car world

New Nissan Leaf sold out worldwide

Everyone selling Ev's cant meet demand, from GM, VW, all the way to Tesla worldwide

Hyundai group could sell 100's of thousands of Ev's if available

Price lol

They are expensive for large auto because they are not serious about EV’s, making 20k EV’s like Hyundai is not enough to get price down

Expensive battery outsourcing with a 20k order book to LG chem is a joke

They can't make enough batteries is bull too

If they put a tender out for 500k battery packs the likes of LG, CATL, Panasonic, Samsung would have plants up plenty quick to meet orders

They cant put up those plants because none of the big auto are serious.

They are all holding backs EV’s with exception of Tesla and arguably Nissan

That is obvious to all

500,000 preorder is nothing if your losing 600million in a quarter

The Leaf is not sold out, I can walk in today and preorder

Everything you posted has nothing to back it up, based on Hyundai own sales numbers the hybrid out sold the electric

Your great at little digs about peoples car but won’t say what you drive yourself!

It’s a Hyundai thread as well, nothing to do with Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If they have upgraded the battery tech by the amount suggested, that is a big leap. That's the positive I would be taking.
    That will have real impact. Roll that out in other cars.
    I'm a glass half full guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

If Hyundai are only going to produce 20k a year of these too you bet the hybrid will sell more. The same with as with the Ioniq. I could walk in any dealer and drive out with a hybrid today. For EV I'd have to wait for months.

Nothing to do with what the customers want and all to do with what Hyundai can build (due to the lack of batteries).

Hyundai/Kia's target for 2018 is 100,000 EVs.

18,600 Konas
    21,000 Niros

Ioniq started with a target of 1,200 a month which was upped to 1,800 a month likely using the planned battery order for the now missing 40kWh Ioniq.
    Thier goal this year is to get to 4,000 month.

So that should like account for 45,000 of the 100,000 target. The rest will be Souls.

Renault-Nissan Alliance sold 120,000 last year, it seems to me like Hyundai/Kia are just as serious.

Car makers are reluctant to sell all electric, once sold there is little or no money to be made on them with parts and service , but I think the writing is on the wall, If you are not making EVs you wont be making cars at all. The simplicity and overall cost of ownership make it clear to me , Driven 40000 km in 10 months , "fuel bill " some where in the 500 euro neighbourhood.

Tesla is losing money ,but I think making cars are a small part of the plan. Once they crack fully autonomous driving. Elon Musk is going to slap an app on top of every Tesla he sells and take on uber and waymo, so that he is making money on just about every mile a Tesla drives

Only Tesla lose money on EVs.

Nissan, Hyundai, BYD etc make money on them.

• Advertisement

Nissan and Hyundai are not building their own worldwide charging network or battery factory though..

Advertisement