Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power output of Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - VRT

• 22-05-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm collecting a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H next week from the UK and obviously need to pay VRT when I import it. However, the Revenue VRT calculator shows several GX4H models (why am I surprised!)

y4m_rDlnT8F83eb0csRCP8xR_L-P0yzwtgCp1SPnJWK6_uIQrnkGyNQ4iIhZ8rQJ-dSntjOWX1ovKili8_D3QU1j8ymr1soveojfD8xoMP-LtT3N4CIlpH7mF1ORVnHab90ZnsloKe8HYwzSgqzk7cPH3SZjHbrkO5n9WoZnQcathlREz96H3Uyy3bTqifr1sG214WZmcgXhL4ag4MYqmNM1w?width=366&height=495&cropmode=none

Picking the first "2.0 GX4H 160BHP 5dr auto" gives a VRT figure of €1882
    Picking the second "2.0 GX4H 200BHP 5dr auto" gives a VRT figure of €1625
    Picking the third "2.0 GX4H 200BHP 5dr auto" gives a VRT figure of €1683

Oddly, the seemingly lower bhp is the higher VRT.

As far as I'm aware all the UK 2015 GX4H models have the same BHP, although its often quoted as anywhere between 160bhp and 204bhp due to the complex nature of the drivetrain. The best I've found it described is as follows:

160bhp or 200bhp
    At any speed between roughly 60 km/h and 120 km/h there is max 160 bhp available in serial mode. In parallel mode, available power will be less, at these speeds. At approx. 120 km/h, paralel mode and serial mode brake even, when it comes to available power. Above approx. 120 km/h serial mode is no longer available as it does not make sense. Available power slowly increases from 160 bhp up. To achieve the max of 204 bhp, you need to be going 170 km/h, as this requires max revs from the ICE. Below 60 km/h, there is less than 160 bhp available because at lower revs you will hit max torque of the motors before reaching max bhp.

Some mention the combined bhp of the 2 electric motors plus the petrol engine but as I understand it the combined max power of 2 electric motors is never available as this would exceed the max current available from the batteries.

Anyone here any more informed or already paid VRT on a GX4H?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Anyone anything to offer?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A three year old PHEV is given a €1750 discount on it's VRT. So long as it's less than €1750 you'll pay zero.

liamog wrote: »
    A three year old PHEV is given a €1750 discount on it's VRT. So long as it's less than €1750 you'll pay zero.

Thanks, but the VRT figures I mention already include the €1750 reduction in VRT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ask the seller to email you a photo of the V5 information.
    That will state exactly which model it is and it states exactly the CO2 output so you can compare.

kceire wrote: »
    Ask the seller to email you a photo of the V5 information.
    That will state exactly which model it is and it states exactly the CO2 output so you can compare.

A good plan, you would think :eek:

I've already done this and the CO2 output is listed as 44g/km on the V5C. However, on the VRT calculator, the so called "160bhp" model has a CO2 value of 44g/km, while the first 200bhp model is 42 g/km, and the second 200bhp model is 44g/km. So mine is either the first or the third, I think.

Parkers website has shed some light on this, seems there was a change in Sept 2015 in how the power output was calculated, the total power output when in parallel mode was used i.e. 200bhp, or sometimes 204bhp, as opposed to 160bhp (the output when in series mode). This coincided with a tweak to the CO2 emissions, from 44 to 42g/km (sometimes listed as 41g/km).

It would appear that cars registered before 09/2015 will show a power output of 160bhp and those after will show 200bhp despite having exactly the same drivetrain, power, and performance, its just calculated differently.

I have my suspicions this is all related to UK company car BIK and the London congestion charge, as the vast majority of these cars were sold to business users to take advantage of the tax savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's only €250 between the highest and lowest.

Prepare for the worst, and if it's less, happy days.

It'd be different if there were a few grand in it. But you could gain that €250 back in currency exchange.

Soarer wrote: »
    It's only €250 between the highest and lowest.

Prepare for the worst, and if it's less, happy days.

It'd be different if there were a few grand in it. But you could gain that €250 back in currency exchange.

Indeed, but I'm not in the habit of parting with €250 if I don't have to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

@quenching good research done here , I had been pricing up and comparing importing one from the UK vs buying here and had wondered why it has showed up with so many models on the calculator. Equally auto trader just shows 119BHP for all models which must be some standard data 
    Have you seen a big saving to importing ?

whacker00 wrote: »
    @quenching good research done here , I had been pricing up and comparing importing one from the UK vs buying here and had wondered why it has showed up with so many models on the calculator. Equally auto trader just shows 119BHP for all models which must be some standard data 
    Have you seen a big saving to importing ?

Autotrader is wrong I’m afraid, they’re listing 119bhp whereas it should be 119kW, which is 160bhp. My V5C shows 119kW.

I reckon I’m saving about €4k compared to buying the same car from a Mitsubishi dealer. It would appear that about 90% of them for sale in Ireland are ex lease cars from the UK, even the ones for sale in Irish Mitsubishi dealers. They were over €50k new here with none of the tax breaks UK company car drivers received so they didn’t sell well.

Electricautos.ie are more reasonable with pricing if you don’t fancy the hassle of importing one yourself, but they still have a business to run. I’m off to collect mine tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

@quenching - thanks for the information really good to add to the research i have been doing 
    It all looks really positive and I will probably take the plunge in the coming weeks , importing from the UK id say as it does look like a good saving 
    The very best of luck with your new car and let us know how it works out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

quenching wrote: »
    Autotrader is wrong I’m afraid, they’re listing 119bhp whereas it should be 119kW, which is 160bhp. My V5C shows 119kW.

I reckon I’m saving about €4k compared to buying the same car from a Mitsubishi dealer. It would appear that about 90% of them for sale in Ireland are ex lease cars from the UK, even the ones for sale in Irish Mitsubishi dealers. They were over €50k new here with none of the tax breaks UK company car drivers received so they didn’t sell well.

Electricautos.ie are more reasonable with pricing if you don’t fancy the hassle of importing one yourself, but they still have a business to run. I’m off to collect mine tomorrow.
    Nice one - I have ordered mine today - hopefully will have it by Saturday.

Can you let me know how did you get on with VRT? Mine is 03/2015 and VRT is at 1100± EUR

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

og2k7 wrote: »

Can you let me know how did you get on with VRT? Mine is 03/2015 and VRT is at 1100± EUR

Thanks

When you say ordered do you mean from the UK? Is it being delivered to you here or are you flying over to collect?

sparrowcar wrote: »
    When you say ordered do you mean from the UK? Is it being delivered to you here or are you flying over to collect?

Yes - from the UK and yea, getting it delivered here. Difference between me flying and ferry back was roughly around 130 quid so prefer to spend that time with kids

Yes - from the UK and yea, getting it delivered here. Difference between me flying and ferry back was roughly around 130 quid so prefer to spend that time with kids

Sent you a PM if you had a minute to reply.
    Cheers

Thanks

I had my VRT appointment yesterday, they used the highest amount, €1846 so dropped a bit. The OMSP they used was €25690 which seems very high to me so I'll lodge an appeal and see what happens.

Which model are you using to get a quote of €1100?

I had my VRT appointment yesterday, they used the highest amount, €1846 so dropped a bit. The OMSP they used was €25690 which seems very high to me so I'll lodge an appeal and see what happens.

Which model are you using to get a quote of €1100?

Gx3h so lower than yours if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

Fair play.

I'd pay the 130 quid to get away from my two lunatics!

Soarer wrote: »
    Fair play.

I'd pay the 130 quid to get away from my two lunatics!

LOL

Got my hands on the PHEV: blown away to be honest. Driving in electric mode is amazing: becoming a bit paranoid about using petrol at all! (that will pass I hope).

For a basic model it is well equipped and it is a lot of a car for the price: compared to our estate (which was cavernous already) this is a beast. Rides high too so really feels like a proper SUV

So far very impressed - also speakers are top notch. Booked in the VRT today so hopefully everything will be in order soon

I did my first longer trip from Dublin to Waterford and back yesterday, part of the reason for buying an Outlander was to be able to do these trips rather than use our Leaf. I stopped by the FCP's in Carlow and Knocktopher just to see where they were located, both had a Leaf charging at them. In the 24kW Leaf I reckon I'd have to stop at both of them to get to Waterford if charging to 80%, plus charge in Waterford on the way back. If I left home with a full charge the Dublin-Waterford journey time in the Leaf would have been almost 4 hours (2 hours driving at 100kph + 1hr charging + 1hr waiting) as opposed to 1hr 45min in the Outlander. I can only assume the return journey would be the same times.

The Leaf costs would have been the home charge cost alone, about €2, whereas the Outlander averaged 43mpg (left Dublin fully charged and charged to 80% in Waterford), so about €32 in petrol. So was it worth the extra €30 to save over 4 hour? With children in the car I would say most definitely! However, thats the only petrol I've used since getting it 2 weeks ago, but if I include the 180 mile drive to the ferry when I collected it my average in 2 weeks was 81MPG, plus about €11 in electricity. Including electricity thats equivalent to about 62MPG covering 50/50 city/motorway driving. Would I get that same average in a 4WD similar sized ICE car?

Apart from that the car is terrific, can't complain about anything really (apart from the owners manual which is mostly jibberish!)

• Advertisement

I did my first longer trip from Dublin to Waterford and back yesterday, part of the reason for buying an Outlander was to be able to do these trips rather than use our Leaf. I stopped by the FCP's in Carlow and Knocktopher just to see where they were located, both had a Leaf charging at them. In the 24kW Leaf I reckon I'd have to stop at both of them to get to Waterford if charging to 80%, plus charge in Waterford on the way back. If I left home with a full charge the Dublin-Waterford journey time in the Leaf would have been almost 4 hours (2 hours driving at 100kph + 1hr charging + 1hr waiting) as opposed to 1hr 45min in the Outlander. I can only assume the return journey would be the same times.

The Leaf costs would have been the home charge cost alone, about €2, whereas the Outlander averaged 43mpg (left Dublin fully charged and charged to 80% in Waterford), so about €32 in petrol. So was it worth the extra €30 to save over 4 hour? With children in the car I would say most definitely! However, thats the only petrol I've used since getting it 2 weeks ago, but if I include the 180 mile drive to the ferry when I collected it my average in 2 weeks was 81MPG, plus about €11 in electricity. Including electricity thats equivalent to about 62MPG covering 50/50 city/motorway driving. Would I get that same average in a 4WD similar sized ICE car?

Apart from that the car is terrific, can't complain about anything really (apart from the owners manual which is mostly jibberish!)

How did you find the performance/acceleration on the motorway, does it overtake and cruise well?

My test drive was short enough and never got above 60kph so hard to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

@quenching - Its worth playing around with the regeneration paddles as it seems to take a while to figure out what settings work best for your driving conditions - there's potential for more fuel savings/greater battery range that way. Sounds like its working out well so far.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    How did you find the performance/acceleration on the motorway, does it overtake and cruise well?

My test drive was short enough and never got above 60kph so hard to judge.

No shortage of power for overtaking, the petrol engine fires up if you press hard on the accelerator but you can hardly hear it at all. I had the cruise control set at 120kph and managed about 40km I think before the batteries depleted. I did play around with the "Charge" and "Save" modes so that I had a decent battery level when I got to the city driving at the end. "Charge" increases fuel consumption but you seem to gain more than you lose overall, if that makes sense.

Nice one thanks for this: when you charge at home, do you have a different tariff (as in day/night) or do you just plug in and off you go?

Thanks!

Nice one thanks for this: when you charge at home, do you have a different tariff (as in day/night) or do you just plug in and off you go?

Thanks!

I have a day/night meter installed so try to charge it at night using the timer but sometimes charge it during the day. I generally cycle to work which is better again, but hard to move 3 children this way :D

I have a day/night meter installed so try to charge it at night using the timer but sometimes charge it during the day. I generally cycle to work which is better again, but hard to move 3 children this way :D

Ha, thanks - good to hear I am not the only one having same issues: I have 2 and moving them isnt easy

I'm replacing all 4 tyres on my Outlander PHEV with Michelin Cross Climate tyres as the fronts are more worn than I'd like (3.3mm) and I prefer the Michelins which are summer tyres but also certified for winter use. Also, the Toyo's are hard to get.

As a result, I have the rear pair of Toyo R37 225/55/18 tyres available if anyone is interested in buying some part worn ones, otherwise they'll sit in the shed as backups. They have about 7mm of tread depth on them, evenly worn, they're coming off the car in the next few days.....

I'm replacing all 4 tyres on my Outlander PHEV with Michelin Cross Climate tyres as the fronts are more worn than I'd like (3.3mm) and I prefer the Michelins which are summer tyres but also certified for winter use. Also, the Toyo's are hard to get.

As a result, I have the rear pair of Toyo R37 225/55/18 tyres available if anyone is interested in buying some part worn ones, otherwise they'll sit in the shed as backups. They have about 7mm of tread depth on them, evenly worn, they're coming off the car in the next few days.....

Whats the cost of the Michelin Cross Climate if you dont mind me asking, I have seen them mentioned all over forums

Thanks

I'm paying €185 each, but I was quoted up to €210. Unless you have the space/need for a full set of winter and summer tyres these are the best compromise. They're not full winter tyres but work much better below 7 degrees than summer tyres which are fitted to the vast majority of cars in Ireland. We spend a lot of the winter below 7 degrees. In countries where winter tyres are a legal requirement, the Michelins are acceptable.

• Advertisement

Got the VRT sorted finally. Ended up paying slightly less than the calculator however the initial quote was over 200 quid more, as they were looking at the wrong model. I would suggest getting the printout and knowing exactly what is registered (i know, sounds obvious) but dont think they are too familiar with EVs, PHEVs over there, so have to guide them

Advertisement