Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fina82

Me too, do anybody knows how the qualifications work when you are from another EU country? The clarifications given are based in the Irish education system. I did the last year of school but didn't graduate, tia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If this panel is 'Dublin only' does this infer all the COs/SOs who got EO get the regional posts on mobility- or does the 1:1:1 still apply?

Fina82 wrote: »
    Me too, do anybody knows how the qualifications work when you are from another EU country? The clarifications given are based in the Irish education system. I did the last year of school but didn't graduate, tia

Technically- EO is not graduate recruitment (the lions share of the applicants will probably be graduates though)- however, there is an assumption that you have a Leaving Cert- the fact that you did not graduate from secondary school- could be an issue. Your best bet is to contact PAS to clarify whether the lack of an equivalent to the Leaving Cert- rules you out. The whole process- takes time, and the further you get in the competition, effort and expense. If you're ineligible- you really need to find this out as soon in the process as possible (though some people who are ineligible use it as a manner of training themselves for doing competitions that they are eligible for.............)

In general- the EU equivalents for an Irish Leaving Certificate- are the agreed equivalents, as published by the CAO here.

The educational requirements for an EO in an open competition are currently as follows:

(i) have obtained a recognised degree or hold a qualification which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard;

OR

(ii) have obtained a pass or a minimum of Grade D in Mathematics and Irish or English in the Leaving Certificate Examination of the Department of Education and Science, having obtained at least an honour or Grade C in Higher, Common or Honours Level papers in at least five subjects in the examination, or have passed in an examination (or examinations) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard;

OR

(iii) have obtained at least a Grade D in Mathematics and either Irish or English in the Leaving Certificate Examination of the Department of Education and Science or in an examination acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard; and have passed the first year examination of a course leading to a recognised degree; "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If this panel is 'Dublin only' does this infer all the COs/SOs who got EO get the regional posts on mobility- or does the 1:1:1 still apply?

What is the 1:1:1 if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

Would anyone know if a level 6 qualification and 2 years CO service would qualify one for this Competition. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Are you expected to have a lot of experience for EO level? I have a first class honours degree but only about 1.5 years clerical experience since I graduated. Currently working as a temporary clerical officer atm. Compitition is fierce as always, just wondering does anyone know what kind of people or experience they would be looking for or what sort of people have been sucessfull in the past? Would AO compitition be more suited to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Nicolas Ambitious Apricot

sonas93 wrote: »
    Are you expected to have a lot of experience for EO level? I have a first class honours degree but only about 1.5 years clerical experience since I graduated. Currently working as a temporary clerical officer atm. Compitition is fierce as always, just wondering does anyone know what kind of people or experience they would be looking for or what sort of people have been sucessfull in the past? Would AO compitition be more suited to me?

Ao is harder to get. It's heo equivalent.

Know the competencies and have plenty of examples. You need to tick the boxes with terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

IS anyone having trouble trying to input data on that pdf, have latest version of adobe but doesnt seem to allow me enter data

cw67irl wrote: »
    What is the 1:1:1 if you don't mind me asking?

Union agreement- as vacancies arise they are 1/3 internal promotion, 1/3 interdepartmental promotion, 1/3 external recruitment. The recent agreement has been 1/3 mobility (that is pre-existing EOs who want to move elsewhere), 1/3 interdepartmental and 1/3 external recruitment. The fact that this competition is Dublin Only- would lend to the belief there are mobility posts involved in the mix.

Samjd wrote: »
    Would anyone know if a level 6 qualification and 2 years CO service would qualify one for this Competition. TIA

Leaving Cert is level 4 (or 5)- a level 6 trumps a leaving cert (its the equivalent of a higher cert from an institute of technology)- and its an open competition- so your two years CO service is moot- and doesn't confer any advantage on you over any other candidate.

The National Qualifications Framework details how the different qualifications are graded and how they compare to one another here...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 khlebnikov

sonas93 wrote: »

I would say there is no harm in applying for EO but at the same time you're kind of selling your self short. With a first class honours degree you would have a great chance at AO and HEO level (assuming you test and interview well). These competitions are a long drawn out process so you may as well apply for as many as you have interest / qualify for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 khlebnikov

Sight808 wrote: »
    IS anyone having trouble trying to input data on that pdf, have latest version of adobe but doesnt seem to allow me enter data

I didn't have a problem filling it in, but when I downloaded the form from Public Jobs it was as if it wasn't complete, the header (Public Jobs icons) at the top was missing as well as "Candidate Name" and 'Candidate Number" before the relevant boxes at the top of the first page. I completed it and submitted it regardless.

khlebnikov wrote: »
    I would say there is no harm in applying for EO but at the same time you're kind of selling your self short. With a first class honours degree you would have a great chance at AO and HEO level (assuming you test and interview well). These competitions are a long drawn out process so you may as well apply for as many as you have interest / qualify for.

I'd say definitely apply- worse case scenario its a dry run for other competitions. I wouldn't say that its anything unusual for an EO to have a 1st class honours degree, a Grad Dip or a Masters- increasingly- large numbers of EOs (or even COs) are exceedingly well qualified. One point though- an EO or a CO post- is a general service grade- you might get lucky and be able to leverage certain aspects of your qualifications in your day-to-day work- but just as likely- you may be placed in an utterly and completely non-related area. There is no matching of people and their qualifications to specific posts- at CO/EO level- it simply doesn't happen...........

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NatashaB16

I think it'd be ok as there was an option of an Interdepartmental OR Open box to tick, so I'd tick Interdepartmental instead of Open and be good to go, but maybe confirm with PAS first? That's if it's a full 2 years service as a C.O. by the closing deadline (30th Aug I think) anyway as less than 2 years in the same role won't be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

I'd say definitely apply- worse case scenario its a dry run for other competitions. I wouldn't say that its anything unusual for an EO to have a 1st class honours degree, a Grad Dip or a Masters- increasingly- large numbers of EOs (or even COs) are exceedingly well qualified. One point though- an EO or a CO post- is a general service grade- you might get lucky and be able to leverage certain aspects of your qualifications in your day-to-day work- but just as likely- you may be placed in an utterly and completely non-related area. There is no matching of people and their qualifications to specific posts- at CO/EO level- it simply doesn't happen...........

Ya that's exactly on my line of thinking. My EO in my current position has a Honours Degree and spent years as a CO after graduation before getting that promotion. I feel like the standard is so high these days but there is no harm is trying I guess!

NatashaB16 wrote: »
    I think it'd be ok as there was an option of an Interdepartmental OR Open box to tick, so I'd tick Interdepartmental instead of Open and be good to go, but maybe confirm with PAS first? That's if it's a full 2 years service as a C.O. by the closing deadline (30th Aug I think) anyway as less than 2 years in the same role won't be accepted.

Tick both boxes- give yourself two bites at the cherry?
    Just note though- its Dublin only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I was told that a Higher Certificate was acceptable. I’m not sure about other Level 6 qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

Does anyone know can a current EO apply for interdepartmental EO for Dublin? I am an EO already (will be permanent this month after passing probation) but I’m seeking a change. I will apply for the open one too but if I can do interdep too I might as well. PS I have over two years CS experience: TCO June 2016-August 2017, EO August 2017-present. I tried to ring PAC to clarify but I couldn’t get through. I also couldn’t see anything in the booklet regarding the matter.

I appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Does anyone know can a current EO apply for interdepartmental EO for Dublin? I am an EO already (will be permanent this month after passing probation) but I’m seeking a change. I will apply for the open one too but if I can do interdep too I might as well. PS I have over two years CS experience: TCO June 2016-August 2017, EO August 2017-present. I tried to ring PAC to clarify but I couldn’t get through. I also couldn’t see anything in the booklet regarding the matter.

I appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Look at the rules about your current salary scale- and how it affects you for internal and interdepartmental competitions (no, is the short and simple- you can't apply for competitions the equivalent or lower than your current position). Note- this doesn't apply for open competitions- you could still apply for open- there are no restrictions on your application for open..........

Have you put yourself down for mobility? If not- do so asap- as mobility posts may take up to a third of these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

Look at the rules about your current salary scale- and how it affects you for internal and interdepartmental competitions (no, is the short and simple- you can't apply for competitions the equivalent or lower than your current position). Note- this doesn't apply for open competitions- you could still apply for open- there are no restrictions on your application for open..........

Have you put yourself down for mobility? If not- do so asap- as mobility posts may take up to a third of these posts.

Cheers. I have put myself down for CS Mobility for Cork, Waterford or Limerick but I haven’t seen any movement on this panel. PeoplePoint seem to be deferring the start date all of the time so it’s very disheartening. I don’t know how to go about mobility for Dublin. I don’t think it was an option a few months ago when I applied for mobility.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I have put myself down for CS Mobility for Cork, Waterford or Limerick but I haven’t seen any movement on this panel. PeoplePoint seem to be deferring the start date all of the time so it’s very disheartening. I don’t know how to go about mobility for Dublin. I don’t think it was an option a few months ago when I applied for mobility.

Mobility only restarted in March/April- ask some of your colleagues there were e-mails sent around about it (asking people to ensure their profiles were uptodate etc). There have been some movements in Cork (no idea about Waterford and Limerick)- it is worthwhile chasing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

I am having problems filling the form, it wouldn't add more employment sections and the page with name and applicant number is not interactive. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Milenauno wrote: »
    I am having problems filling the form, it wouldn't add more employment sections and the page with name and applicant number is not interactive. Any suggestions?

You filling it in, in your browser? Sometimes it's better to download the form properly and fill it in.

The name and applicant number is only editable on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tubberfinn

I have downloaded the form and completed it. However it won't save correctly - just saves the full document as one page saying :
    Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document. blah blah blah...

But I have the latest Adobe (I just used it to complete the form !!)

I have tried it on different computer and browsers.

Did anyone else have this problem and come up with a solution?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

Tubberfinn wrote: »
    I have downloaded the form and completed it. However it won't save correctly - just saves the full document as one page saying :
    Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF

TIA
    Go to downloads on your PC and its saved there ready to fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

Please wait...

TIA

I just solved. With PC wouldn’t work so I tried on Mac computer and no problem.

busymammy wrote: »

Thanks but I have filled it in completely but when I try to save it to upload its not working

Milenauno wrote: »
    I just solved. With PC wouldn’t work so I tried on Mac computer and no problem.

Im on a Mac - so tried it on a windows laptop and no joy either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

busymammy wrote: »

Thanks but I have filled it in completely but when I try to save it to upload its not working

I found the form on downloads. Filled it in (pdf). After signed, saved in documents, then attached to the application. Have you tried this way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

There's still a big issue with Chrome and these forms. It might look like it's opened in Adobe but if it has a URL at the top then it's in your browser. In Chrome pressing Ctrl + J will open your download list, click Show in folder for the form and then double click to open in Adobe proper.

Don't have it open in your browser when you do this.

Advertisement