Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

• 09-08-2018 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Commentary on the policies and actions of the Government of the day who ever they may be.

With it's beginnings under Bertie's Fianna Fail, despite the bubble and crash the state insists on following the same model of depending on private business to cure public ills.
    The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform recently recommended that the State place a greater focus on building social houses rather than resorting to the private sector rental market to solve social housing needs.

As part of a value for money analysis, the department found that in parts of Dublin the State could build social houses for up to half the money it would have to spend on rent for social housing tenants.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0809/983942-housing-social-tenancies/

Handsome Boards posters have been saying similar for a long time.
    Intentionally or not, the state is using tax payer money to fill the pockets of housing speculators profiting off the housing crisis in an effort to, giving the benefit of the doubt, tackle the housing problem. This is driving up rents and sale prices making the public and the state more dependent on private enterprise and around and around we go until the bottom falls out.
    Ireland's largest private landlord, I-RES REIT, has almost trebled the number of State-funded, social tenancies on its books.

The company, which last week announced profits of €19 million for the first half of this year, confirmed to RTÉ's Morning Ireland that it has 303 tenants receiving a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).

It equates to 11% of I-RES's total portfolio of rental properties of 2,678.

In 2017, just 4% of the company's properties were rented to State-funded tenants.

Would love to know of any public figures involved with I-RES.

Do we just keep on with this model to begrudge the anecdotal numbers of chancers and pretenders sleeping in Garda stations and the like?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0809/984012-homeless-dublin/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Matt, I hope you don't mind but I have changed the thread title as it was a tad vague.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This is driving up rents and sale prices making the public and the state more dependent on private enterprise and around and around we go until the bottom falls out.

Just on this part M - I seen an article a day or 2 ago that covered how the constituency office of the housing minister was forcibly closed without a replacement being found, resulting in his constituency business now having to be conducted from his Leinster house.

The article skirts around the insinuation that Murphy was effectively left homeless as a direct result of his own policies and the competitive Dublin rental prices may have added to his problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think it's very short sighted to shrug off some of the things exacerbating the broader problem. We've PTSB selling off loans to a vulture fund because allegedly they were bad loans and what's a business to do, when not crying to the tax payer? It turned out not to be the entire story. It's just business, sure, but in the long run it'll come back to bite the tax payer.
    'Vulture funds pay around €1 in taxes for every €1 million they hold in Irish assets

Up to 90% of the property in NAMA went to Vulture Funds who, in turn, used section 110 legislation to pay virtually nothing in taxes.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-simon-coveney-is-currently-engaged-in-a-land-grab-of-epic-proportions-3394082-May2017/
    Vulture funds pay just €8,000 in tax on €10 billion of assets
    http://www.thejournal.ie/vulture-funds-2-3176030-Jan2017/

If we can create or uphold policy that benefits such moves as AIB paying no tax on profits for 30 odd years, surely we can truly look after our own, and by that I mean everyone working and paying tax.
    Any property speculators, during a crisis, should be heavily taxed IMO. It's profiting from misery and making the crisis worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are several major problems facing the Gov at the moment - housing and health are the top two.

Homeless is a term that covers a whole range of problems, some of which show in statistics and some that does not. Rough sleepers are homeless - sometime out of choice, some out of addiction or mental health problems, and some out of social problems. Others do sofa surfing with friends, and do not get counted. Some decide to declare themselves homeless in the hope of jumping the housing queue. Others are evicted by greedy landlords looking to profit from the current situation.

Someone was on the radio the other day living on his own in a four bedroom council house with no gas*, and under notice to be moved by the council to more suitable accommodation, but nothing has happened since before Christmas. He would be quite happy to move to a one bed unit, and a family could take over his house. Who is at fault there?

Solution - give sites and money from NAMA to DCC to build, build, build. The can tender for housing units to be built by building contractors in say 100 units per contract that would allow smaller builders to get involved, and get council houses back for housing those on the waiting list. If one third was social houses (for rent), one third same houses but sold as affordable, and one third higher spec but sold at full market rate. 45% of the cost returns to Gov in the form of VAT, income tax, PRSI, and other taxes.

*He was brought up in the house, and his many siblings have moved away, with his widowed mother deceased last year. I think he was unable to cope after she died. At least, that was my understanding of his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There are several major problems facing the Gov at the moment - housing and health are the top two.

are they major problems for the government though? FG are doing brilliantly, if you believe the polls. If they are actually gaining seats, from this pathetic failure on health and housing, as usual. Why would they change anything? I really think the problem in this country is, that they will maintain the status quo, unless forced to change. Who is forcing them to change?

There is no feasible political alternative and we, the voters, arent flexing our muscles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The article skirts around the insinuation that Murphy was effectively left homeless as a direct result of his own policies and the competitive Dublin rental prices may have added to his problems.

Yes, Dublin rental prices. So who runs the Dublin, Sinn Fein being the largest party, combined with similar left wingers comprise of the largest block, run Dublin City Council.

Do they have no impact into this issue?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-asked-to-reverse-apartment-height-limits-1.2759551
    Minister for Housing Simon Coveney wants Dublin City Council to reverse plans to restrict the height of apartment blocks that can be built in the city, because of the risks to future housing supply .

Last May councillors voted to limit the height of apartments in low-rise areas of the inner city to 24 metres and to 13m in low-rise areas of the suburbs. Most of Dublin apart from 13 specific areas falls into the low-rise category.

Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan had wanted to set 28m as the maximum height for low-rise apartments in the city centre (the same height currently permitted for office blocks) and 16m as the height for suburban apartments.

No effect?

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-tall-buildings-problems-2795550-May2016/
    The development plan acknowledges that Dublin is a “low-rise city and considers that it should remain predominantly so”, but also that the council “recognises the merit of taller buildings”.

No effect?

http://www.thejournal.ie/tall-high-rise-buildings-dublin-2-4084160-Jun2018/
    While the An Bord Pleanála inspector’s report pre-dates the Ireland 2040 guidelines, the board’s final judgement shows the weight the new national policy will carry with the planning authority.

Lorcan Sirr, a lecturer on housing at DIT, told Fora that these planning decisions showed the beginnings of city councils being “politically castrated”.

“The penny hasn’t dropped with them that the Department of Housing are now in control – and that’s really bad. We elect councillors on the basis they will do A, B and C; one of the jobs they do is focus on the development plan.

Positive effect.

Local elections are on next year, I suggest you have a chat to DCC about the housing issues in Dublin.

We've PTSB selling off loans to a vulture fund because allegedly they were bad loans and what's a business to do, .

The issues with the loans are clear-cut.

1) This is a directive from the ECB, the government cannot intervene on this issue, no matter what TD or interest group tells you otherwise.

2) These loans have been festering now for the guts of 10 years, yes 10 years. Ireland is unique in the situation where a homeowner cannot or doesn't want to pay a mortgage and keep their home for up to 10 years. On average in other EU countries, the figure is 6 months.

3) It shows us that the courts will rarely if ever order eviction notices to owner-occupiers. It is almost impossible for a bank to regain its collateral if they give out a mortgage. This, in turn, has a knock on effect elsewhere.

4) We pay the highest interest rates in the EU, precisely because of the issues outlined above. This means that you, me and every other responsible person who pays for their own home is paying for others. This adds up over the lifetime of the mortgage to tens of thousands of extra euros you have to pay.

5) Selling off these loans is the fastest way to get the Irish banking back to normal business, where impaired loans are marginal and credit is perhaps slightly freer, where developers can build more much-needed houses and responsible savers and rents can get a mortgage.

6) The tax these funds pay is a separate issue and falls under the corporate tax regime of the state. The term, vulture funds is sexy and is like manna from heaven for the looney left, but they are often more reasonable to deal with than Irish banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

markodaly wrote: »
    The issues with the loans are clear-cut.

1) This is a directive from the ECB, the government cannot intervene on this issue, no matter what TD or interest group tells you otherwise.

The government could buy them.

These loans have a variety of cases, some are chancers and should be thrown out, some are misfortune and will have to be housed by the State anyway. The government should take control of the latter.

These loans have a variety of cases, some are chancers and should be thrown out, some are misfortune and will have to be housed by the State anyway. The government should take control of the latter.

That would just increase the level of deficit the state has and possibly infringe ECB rules, would it not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Aegir wrote: »
    That would just increase the level of deficit the state has and possibly infringe ECB rules, would it not?

NAMA or the NTMA could be used o create one of those special purpose vehicles to fund the purchase of these loans. They could then get the original bank to manage the exit of the problem by separating the 'can't pay' from he 'wont pay'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Commentary on the policies and actions of the Government of the day who ever they may be.

With it's beginnings under Bertie's Fianna Fail, despite the bubble and crash the state insists on following the same model of depending on private business to cure public ills.

Handsome Boards posters have been saying similar for a long time.
    Intentionally or not, the state is using tax payer money to fill the pockets of housing speculators profiting off the housing crisis in an effort to, giving the benefit of the doubt, tackle the housing problem. This is driving up rents and sale prices making the public and the state more dependent on private enterprise and around and around we go until the bottom falls out.

Would love to know of any public figures involved with I-RES.

Do we just keep on with this model to begrudge the anecdotal numbers of chancers and pretenders sleeping in Garda stations and the like?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0809/984012-homeless-dublin/

11% of I-RES properties rented to HAP?

And somehow this is a criticism of government policy?

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought for years that posters have been on here whinging and whinging, not just in the politics thread but also in the accommodation threads, that private landlords would not rent to those in receipt of HAP and that the government should do something about it.

So one of two things seem to be true:

(1) The government has done something about it and they should be congratulated.

(2) It was never true and landlords always did rent to those in receipt of HAP, just not to particular people in receipt of HAP. Should the focus be on why some people are turned down by landlords? Perhaps the absence of a reference because of previous behaviour, for example?

I don't know which of the above two is correct, but one of them has to be if Matt is right in his assertion that 11% of I-REP housing is being rented to those on HAP.

A good note to start the thread on, to show that the problem of landlords not renting to HAP recipients is an urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Positive effect.

Local elections are on next year, I suggest you have a chat to DCC about the housing issues in Dublin.

what and elect in those supporting higher density? who is that exactly?

God no! Just no.

We already have people like Margaret Cash, who is taking in over €50,000 tax free from the state demanding more.

Do you honestly think if the state started down the road of buying bad loans from banks because people decided not to pay their mortgage, knowing that the state will just buy the loan and leave those in the property alone?

Besides, the ECB would never allow it.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what and elect in those supporting higher density? who is that exactly?

I have no idea, but you can ask them. I think the Greens might be worth a shot.
    Then again, the national government has pulled the plug on the LA's endless vetoing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

God no! Just no.

We already have people like Margaret Cash, who is taking in over €50,000 tax free from the state demanding more.

Do you honestly think if the state started down the road of buying bad loans from banks because people decided not to pay their mortgage, knowing that the state will just buy the loan and leave those in the property alone?

Besides, the ECB would never allow it.

God bless the EU for protecting us from ourselves tbf.

Homeless is a term that covers a whole range of problems, some of which show in statistics and some that does not. Rough sleepers are homeless - sometime out of choice, some out of addiction or mental health problems, and some out of social problems. Others do sofa surfing with friends, and do not get counted. Some decide to declare themselves homeless in the hope of jumping the housing queue. Others are evicted by greedy landlords looking to profit from the current situation.

Someone was on the radio the other day living on his own in a four bedroom council house with no gas*, and under notice to be moved by the council to more suitable accommodation, but nothing has happened since before Christmas. He would be quite happy to move to a one bed unit, and a family could take over his house. Who is at fault there?

Solution - give sites and money from NAMA to DCC to build, build, build. The can tender for housing units to be built by building contractors in say 100 units per contract that would allow smaller builders to get involved, and get council houses back for housing those on the waiting list. If one third was social houses (for rent), one third same houses but sold as affordable, and one third higher spec but sold at full market rate. 45% of the cost returns to Gov in the form of VAT, income tax, PRSI, and other taxes.

*He was brought up in the house, and his many siblings have moved away, with his widowed mother deceased last year. I think he was unable to cope after she died. At least, that was my understanding of his story.

Flats for single people are never a priority. I believe there's usually a shortage. A single person gets dropped back on the list everytime a single parent walks in the door.

Agreed. These people won't be dying off or leaving the country, they will need assistance. There are options like helping anyone genuinely in a bad way with lower repayments over a longer period or freezing the mortgage for a time. We don't need them all ending up on a housing list for certain.
    If the state gave as much care and attention to the public as it did to private developers and financial institutions we might have less of a crisis.
    blanch152 wrote: »

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought for years that posters have been on here whinging and whinging, not just in the politics thread but also in the accommodation threads, that private landlords would not rent to those in receipt of HAP and that the government should do something about it.

So one of two things seem to be true:

(1) The government has done something about it and they should be congratulated.

(2) It was never true and landlords always did rent to those in receipt of HAP, just not to particular people in receipt of HAP. Should the focus be on why some people are turned down by landlords? Perhaps the absence of a reference because of previous behaviour, for example?

I don't know which of the above two is correct, but one of them has to be if Matt is right in his assertion that 11% of I-REP housing is being rented to those on HAP.

A good note to start the thread on, to show that the problem of landlords not renting to HAP recipients is an urban myth.

I'll give you a recap as you seemed to have missed the essence.
    Private companies are buying housing stock, in some cases from NAMA, to rent to government under the HAP scheme. This is driving up housing/rent prices creating more need for HAP. The loser here is the tax payer and those on low incomes looking to rent or buy. This feeds the crisis.
    The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform recently recommended that the State place a greater focus on building social houses rather than resorting to the private sector rental market to solve social housing needs.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0809/983942-housing-social-tenancies/
    blanch152 wrote: »

It's about the housing crisis and how to tackle it.

My assertion is a quote from a newspaper article. Expecting private business to fix public problems does not work.
    Once again you are bringing the narrative off course to suit your agenda. Have at it.

NAMA or the NTMA could be used o create one of those special purpose vehicles to fund the purchase of these loans. They could then get the original bank to manage the exit of the problem by separating the 'can't pay' from he 'wont pay'.

It doesn’t matter what you call it, it is still government debt.

It doesn’t matter what you call it, it is still government debt.

It is not a Gov advantage to move someone from a home they have a mortgage on (and are not paying) from that house to a homeless list, requiring the state to pay hotel bills for them. If they genuinely cannot pay the mortgage, then adjust their situation so that they can pay. This can be done by various arrangements, like renting the house to them, warehouse part of the mortgage, or move them to a smaller/cheaper house. Rural resettlement might be an approach.

One thing that is certain is that selling Nama property to private landlords to rent back to the state makes no sense at all. Particularly if said landlords pay no tax.

Add to that NAMA loaning state money to private developers for private builds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

NAMA wouln't do that because it's not part of their remit. But there is a lot of talk about the budget, with figures up to €3bn being talked about as the scope for changes. If people are vocal enough about housing, then the could find €1bn or more to do as you are proposing.

Personally, I would be happy to see no increase in other services nor a decrease in taxes if it meant that they dealt with the housing crisis. I would even go so far as to say that I would tolerate cuts to other services and an increase in taxes would be easier swallowed if they were to do this.

On your point about selling some of the houses for a profit to recoup the build costs, this is a great idea. Sadly, however, it would be politically untenable. You'd have the Paul Murphys of this world complaining that it should be 100% social housing or nothing, and if they don't make a profit (prices crash, no one wants to live in a 30% council housing new estate etc) then the other parties would blame the government for their wasteful plan. Which is a shame because it seems to be the obvious solution.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I really think the problem in this country is, that they will maintain the status quo, unless forced to change. Who is forcing them to change?

There is no feasible political alternative and we, the voters, arent flexing our muscles...

They will maintain the status quo unless it is more popular for them not to. Sometimes the voters effect change by voting the opposition into power, but other times they do so by telling their own government what they want.

IMO the momentum about the housing market is reaching bubbling over point. The problem is though that while social housing is the obvious flashpoint, there are other aspects as well. Low interest rates and increasing property prices benefit the funds buying up large amounts of property, but they also benefit the ordinary voter who likes his mortgage low and his property high.

So while I agree with you that they will maintain the status quo, I'm not sure that it is just inertia in the absence of being forced to change. It's possible that the status quo is very popular with the voters.

• Advertisement

Social housing aside, the state encourages activity that feeds the crisis. NAMA selling properties only to have some of them rented back to the state through HAP. Not to mention Murphy buying new housing at market rate to be used as social housing. On a broader scale, making Ireland a great little country to do business if you're a vulture fund.
    If we can step into private business to bail out banks and give cheap loans to developers, surely we can do something similar for the public, even just while we are in crisis? I don't accept interference in the market place only being an issue if it benefits the public.

NAMA wouln't do that because it's not part of their remit. But there is a lot of talk about the budget, with figures up to €3bn being talked about as the scope for changes. If people are vocal enough about housing, then the could find €1bn or more to do as you are proposing.

Personally, I would be happy to see no increase in other services nor a decrease in taxes if it meant that they dealt with the housing crisis. I would even go so far as to say that I would tolerate cuts to other services and an increase in taxes would be easier swallowed if they were to do this.

On your point about selling some of the houses for a profit to recoup the build costs, this is a great idea. Sadly, however, it would be politically untenable. You'd have the Paul Murphys of this world complaining that it should be 100% social housing or nothing, and if they don't make a profit (prices crash, no one wants to live in a 30% council housing new estate etc) then the other parties would blame the government for their wasteful plan. Which is a shame because it seems to be the obvious solution.

The remit of Nama can be changed.

The problem with 100% social housing is social unrest, giving rise to the 'good' tenants moving out if 'bad' tenants cause social problems, and then we get the Ballymun effect.

When Ballymun was built, it was great (according to the first tenants). But then the Corpo got rid of the caretakers (to save money) who used to police the place and keep everything tidy, including the tenants. Then the slow decent to demolition.

Having a 30%/30%/40% split between social/affordable/normal housing should be a good mix.

the social and affordable should be built to the same spec - basic but good quality. The normal houses would be built to a higher spec with larger rooms and better quality finish, but not widely so.

If say cost of build is €200k for the first two plus site, with the second costing €250k plus site. Say site cost from Nama is €50k, then the cost to the state would be reasonable, given that they get back the VAT plus payroll tax. Overall, if DCC is the developer, there is no profit to add, and the prices could come out as €250k for the first two, with the second and third group selling for
    €295 and €395k (to €495 - depending on demand) respectively,

Now these figures are representative and figurative, but could be wildly out, but the extra €100k per house for the last group would significantly subsidise the first two groups. [Remember, if DCC do the development, there is no profit for private pockets].

Funding and political will would be required. The funding could come from special savings bonds issued by the NTMA with an attractive interest rate and tax treatment to mop up all those billions of private savings that are sitting in the banks earning 0.01% interest.

It might work, but it would certainly provide houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes, Dublin rental prices. So who runs the Dublin, Sinn Fein being the largest party, combined with similar left wingers comprise of the largest block, run Dublin City Council.

We've already danced this dance, and after you moving around the house from telling us Eoin had no responsibility and didn't oversee councils/they weren't answerable to him, yet a few minutes (literally) tell us that Murphys position was created so as he could get to grips with the housing crisis so he could overrule councils I explained to you that it wasn't necessary to choose one side or the other.

With that I shall repeat.

The council seems to be as useless as the Minister who oversees them.

It is not a Gov advantage to move someone from a home they have a mortgage on (and are not paying) from that house to a homeless list, requiring the state to pay hotel bills for them. If they genuinely cannot pay the mortgage, then adjust their situation so that they can pay. This can be done by various arrangements, like renting the house to them, warehouse part of the mortgage, or move them to a smaller/cheaper house. Rural resettlement might be an approach.

One thing that is certain is that selling Nama property to private landlords to rent back to the state makes no sense at all. Particularly if said landlords pay no tax.

My understanding is that the debt being sold falls in to either the buy to rent category, or the **** you we're not paying category. The people that are making an honest effort will still have their loans managed by state owned banks.

Where the government gets in to trouble, is when their borrowing gets too high as they start to infringe the ECB rules on being in the euro, so it is in the government's interests to keep debt at arms length.

Similar philosophy to water charges and borrowing money to fund improvements to the infrastructure.

We've already danced this dance, and after you moving around the house from telling us Eoin had no responsibility and didn't oversee councils/they weren't answerable to him, yet a few minutes (literally) tell us that Murphys position was created so as he could get to grips with the housing crisis so he could overrule councils I explained to you that it wasn't necessary to choose one side or the other.

You are under the false impression that LA's were answerable to the Dept of planning and environment and by extension, the minister. They were not and are not.

My understanding is that the debt being sold falls in to either the buy to rent category, or the **** you we're not paying category. The people that are making an honest effort will still have their loans managed by state owned banks.

Where the government gets in to trouble, is when their borrowing gets too high as they start to infringe the ECB rules on being in the euro, so it is in the government's interests to keep debt at arms length.

Similar philosophy to water charges and borrowing money to fund improvements to the infrastructure.

That wasn't the case with PTSB.
    PERMANENT TSB EXECUTIVES confirmed today that the mortgages of thousands of customers are included in a massive loan sale, despite the fact that they have been meeting the terms of their agreement.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ptsb-vulture-funds-3-3917568-Mar2018/

It's saddening to see the rise in the divisive attitude permeating about the place where anyone not doing well might be a whinger or chancer of some kind. It's important to note that those people are still the minority in these circumstances.
    From funding private builds with cheap loans, selling cheap homes only to have them rented back to the state under HAP or buying new homes off the private market for use as social housing, the state/LA's couldn't be trying any harder to work against the renting/buying tax payer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The problem with 100% social housing is social unrest, giving rise to the 'good' tenants moving out if 'bad' tenants cause social problems, and then we get the Ballymun effect.

Having a 30%/30%/40% split between social/affordable/normal housing should be a good mix.

the social and affordable should be built to the same spec - basic but good quality. The normal houses would be built to a higher spec with larger rooms and better quality finish, but not widely so.

I agree, but equally people don't want to live in an estate that has a large social housing aspect. And there is resentment too between those who get the subsidised affordable housing and those who pay full whack, especially if the people on affordable housing get a promotion, those who paid full whack lose their jobs and get no government support, or if the prices go down and the people who pay full whack are in negative equity and those who got affordable have their clawback forgiven. Which are all things that happened with the last affordable housing scheme.

All politics is local, and weirdly people are happier to subsidise social tenants in far away estates than they are to do so for their neighbours. This is especially true if kids grow up learning that their house is worse than the posh people across the street, because they had a social house.

So in a sense there is no ideal mix, and the question is just who to advantage more.
    Funding and political will would be required. The funding could come from special savings bonds issued by the NTMA with an attractive interest rate and tax treatment to mop up all those billions of private savings that are sitting in the banks earning 0.01% interest.

It might work, but it would certainly provide houses.

Weirdly, it's best chance of success is for them to provide 100% private market properties. This brings more properties to the market, allows those that can afford them to buy them, and then the pressure on the less desireable areas is decreased. Then, if any don't sell, they can then be used for social housing etc once the private sales have taken place.

But again, this would be completely unacceptable politically; it would be considered a middle class bailout ignoring the real problems, treating social tenants as second class citizens etc.

Dare I say it, a significant part of the problem that the government (i.e. any government) has is that they will be criticised by the opposition whenever they try to do something. Maybe that is the real reason why politicians are reluctant to do anything unless it is popular.

I know an estate, formally all social housing, now all private. The sad thing is they use to have a social housing estate up the road. It was demolished under the guise of regeneration. Now that estate is back on the cards for a rebuild these private homeowners in the same parish are kicking up. I can see why. There were drug issues and other criminality but I would put a lot of that down to social issues and bad design coupled with little in the way of local amenities.
    There is also the resentment and the 'free house' myth. Ironically it's people, those who can afford it, wanting out of those areas or a better house with a garden and so on that drives the difference. Point being, there's no rhyme or reason to being resentful of somebody getting cheap state rented accommodation in an area you wouldn't live in yourself.
    I think the original model of basic modest social housing would still work. I would keep such estates 100% social housing, but keep them smaller. The biggest problem with the estates was big sprawling areas or high rise high density with nothing in the way of amenities. The move to the burbs with Ballymun and Tallaght simply opened up prime land for selling off, especially during the recent days of regeneration.
    It's wasteful to spend tax monies in the private market to merely service the growing crisis.

I agree, but equally people don't want to live in an estate that has a large social housing aspect. And there is resentment too between those who get the subsidised affordable housing and those who pay full whack, especially if the people on affordable housing get a promotion, those who paid full whack lose their jobs and get no government support, or if the prices go down and the people who pay full whack are in negative equity and those who got affordable have their clawback forgiven. Which are all things that happened with the last affordable housing scheme.

All politics is local, and weirdly people are happier to subsidise social tenants in far away estates than they are to do so for their neighbours. This is especially true if kids grow up learning that their house is worse than the posh people across the street, because they had a social house.

So in a sense there is no ideal mix, and the question is just who to advantage more.
    First, social housing is always social housing under my proposal. Previously, council houses were sold cheap to the sitting tenant on the basis that they remain in situ, and so pay for another social house (or so the argument went). Under my proposal, social houses are for people on the housing list, and if their lot improves, the begin to pay market rents.

Second, the affordable houses would be to a lower spec than the full price versions. If you look at most private developments, the first houses built, overlook the green space and are larger and more expensive. As the development sells, the aspect deteriorates, but the price remains strong.

All proposals are less than perfect, but cognisance must be taken of social and financial aspects, including funding, demand, social consequences of the design.

Weirdly, it's best chance of success is for them to provide 100% private market properties. This brings more properties to the market, allows those that can afford them to buy them, and then the pressure on the less desireable areas is decreased. Then, if any don't sell, they can then be used for social housing etc once the private sales have taken place.

But again, this would be completely unacceptable politically; it would be considered a middle class bailout ignoring the real problems, treating social tenants as second class citizens etc.

Dare I say it, a significant part of the problem that the government (i.e. any government) has is that they will be criticised by the opposition whenever they try to do something. Maybe that is the real reason why politicians are reluctant to do anything unless it is popular.

Private developments are not immune from social problems. The buy to let aspect allows unsavory elements into such estates and can cause huge problems. No proposal wins on every score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'll give you a recap as you seemed to have missed the essence.
    Private companies are buying housing stock, in some cases from NAMA, to rent to government under the HAP scheme.

We live in a free world, thankfully, where people are free to make purchase.

So you are against mixed developments where private landlords rent to HAP......

The problem with 100% social housing is social unrest...........

........but you are in favour of mixed development????? Some consistency would be welcome.

On your 30/30/40 mix, nobody has ever been able to answer the question as to why should some people have to pay full whack for a house and others get it for less, just because they went out and got an education and a job?

Advertisement