Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celtic Cup

• 15-08-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/42341.php#.W3QURn7TUUE
    The Irish Rugby Football Union and the Welsh Rugby Union have joined forces to create a new development competition, the Celtic Cup, for the emerging professional players from the four Irish provinces and four Welsh regions.

The tournament, which features development squads from Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Cardiff Blues, the Dragons, the Ospreys and the Scarlets, aims to provide a learning environment for players, coaches and referees by recreating the week-to-week challenges presented by senior professional rugby.

The Celtic Cup will run over seven consecutive weeks, commencing on Friday, September 7. Teams will have to prepare for a different opposition each week, manage their physical preparation and recovery and analyse their performances as they grow as individuals and collectively.

The eight teams will be divided into two conferences of four Welsh regions and four Irish provinces. Each Irish province will play each of the Welsh regions and will play against two Irish provinces. Similarly, the Welsh regions will play each of the Irish provinces and will play two of their Welsh counterparts. The top-ranked province from the Irish conference will play the top-ranked region from the Welsh conference in the inaugural final (venue to be confirmed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Been discussed in a few places especially the AIL thread considering its impact on the top divisions for the open weeks of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Had heard a comp was being set up but didn’t know the details. Good to see it progressing. Anyone know why the Scots pulled out? I believe this was meant to include them as well.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Had heard a comp was being set up but didn’t know the details. Good to see it progressing. Anyone know why the Scots pulled out? I believe this was meant to include them as well.
    Scottish sides had pulled out of the British and Irish Cup a few years back because of changes to it. I think they didnt return to this as its being played so early in season and would in their eyes compromise their scottish premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »

They’re playing in a seperate competition but expected to rejoin in future

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is this replacing the B&I or additional?

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is this replacing the B&I or additional?
    Replacing.

qinjy4p4x8g11.jpg

Ulster A v Leinster A in Malone RFC tomorrow
    Leinster
    Hugo Keenan, Michael Silvester, Conor O'Brien, Tom Daly (c), Jack Kelly, Harry Byrne, Patrick Patterson;
    Ed Byrne, Ronan Kelleher, Vakh Abdaladze, Ross Molony, Jack Dunne, Oisin Dowling, Scott Penney, Caelan Doris
    Replacements: Dan Sheehan, Giuseppe Coyle, Jack Aungier, Ronan Foley, Ronan Watters, Hugh O'Sullivan, David Hawkshaw, Liam Turner
    Ulster
    Peter Nelson, Aaron Sexton, Jack Owens, James Hume, Iwan Hughes, Johnny McPhillips, Jonny Stewart; Schalk van der Merwe, Peter Cromie, Rodney Ah You, Peter Browne, Alex Thompson, Caleb Montgomery, Chris Henry (C), Greg Jones.
    Replacements: Paul McGookin, Peter Cooper, Michael Cromie, Matthew Rea, Marcus Rea, Graham Curtis, Bruce Houston, Michael Stronge.

Munster A v Connacht A in Musgrave Park tomorrow
    Connacht
    Darragh Leader, Rory Scholes, Kieran Joyce, Peter Robb, Colm de Buitléar, Conor Fitzgerald, James Mitchell, Matthew Burke, Tom McCartney (c), Conor Carey, Peter Claffey, Joe Maksymiw, Cillian Gallagher, Cian Huxford, Mikey Wilson.
    Replacements: Jonny Murphy, Jordan Duggan, Conor Kenny, Cormac Daly, Neal Moylett, Conor McKeon, Conor Dean, Sean O’Brien.
    Munster
    Stephen Fitzgerald; Calvin Nash, Matt More, Alex McHenry, Alex Wootton; Bill Johnston, James Hart; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Ciaran Parker; Darren O’Shea (C), Sean O’Connor; Jack Daly, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.
    Replacements: Billy Scannell, Cronan Gleeson, Keynan Knox, Evan Mintern, Dan Walsh, Jack Stafford, Ben Healy, Liam Coombes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Cormac Daly with Connacht? Delighted to see Claffey is playing, I thought he was very good at u20 level.

Kick off 5pm in Malone and 5.30 in Musgrave. Anyone going?

• Advertisement

Stephen Fitzgerald drops out for Munster. Alex Wootton moves to full-back, Liam Coombes moves to the wing and Sean French comes onto the bench

Leinster 28-7 up at half time
    Munster up 5-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster win 28-43

13-12 to Connacht at half time.

Leinster scorers: Tries by Dan Sheehan, Harry Byrne, Conor O'Brien, Scott Penny, Michael Silvester and Ronan Kelleher. Harry Byrne got a penalty and 5 conversions
    Ulster scorers: Tries Aaron Sexton, Greg Jones, 2 James Hume. 4 conversions McPhillips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

For Ulster I thought Mcphilips ran the game well. Reagan looked very solid - threw his body about and put in some big tackles. Stand out was probably Hume - good line off the scrum for the first try, and set up the other with a great line and offload off a line out

Munster won 24-16

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

For Ulster I thought Mcphilips ran the game well. Reagan looked very solid - threw his body about and put in some big tackles. Stand out was probably Hume - good line off the scrum for the first try, and set up the other with a great line and offload off a line out

Shame about the result (not surprised given the Leinster team).

Good to hear Hume went well. Injury didn't help him last year so it would be good to see him kick on this season.

bilston wrote: »

Good to hear Hume went well. Injury didn't help him last year so it would be good to see him kick on this season.
    Tbh Leinster dominated, and our scores were very opportunistic. Yea, I think Hume will kick on, but his defence was a little bit suspect imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »

I had the opposite expectation given some of the experience in the Ulster pack. Far more caps and experience there through RAH, Henry and Browne. Even at halfback, where Ulster had two young lads, Leinster had two guys only out of school a year each.

Very happy with the win though. Some promising guys in both sides. I'd expect a number of them to be Irish internationals in the next 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Tries for Penny, Kelleher is very promising. Looking forward to seeing Kelleher get an extended run this season if injury doesn't upset him again.

• Advertisement

Highlights are up on the Ulster Facebook page

Some nice touches by both sides in attack. Stinker of an intercept pass by Hawkshaw for the final Ulster try. Was a mile forward among other issues.

Good work from Abdaladze for opening try. Lovely break and pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Buer wrote: »
    Some nice touches by both sides in attack. Stinker of an intercept pass by Hawkshaw for the final Ulster try. Was a mile forward among other issues.

As far as Abdeladze goes I think we've seen just a glimmer of what is in store from him. Very strong with ball in hand. Thought Keenan did well for Kelly's try also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 titanfanfam

Buer wrote: »

Intercept was from Liam Turner, Hawkshaw never came on.

Intercept was from Liam Turner, Hawkshaw never came on.

You're right. Thought it was 22 on the grainy footage but definitely 23 on watching again! Terrible pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 titanfanfam

Tbh Leinster dominated, and our scores were very opportunistic. Yea, I think Hume will kick on, but his defence was a little bit suspect imo

who impressed you from leinster?

who impressed you from leinster?
    Hard to pick a standout tbh. Harry Byrne was probably the best of the backs, but the outside backs looked dangerous with a little space. The forwards were dominant throughout - Abdeladze carried really well, and I remember scott penny and jack Dunne (I think) having a couple of good moments. Hard to remember though, because I was more focused on the Ulster players, so I’m sure I’m missing a few players who played well.

Teams for week 2 beginning to be named
    Ulster A v Scarlets Tomorrow in Shaws Bridge
    Peter Cooper, Peter Cromie, Paul McGookin, Matthew Dalton, Bradley Luney, Clive Ross, Matthew Agnew, Joe Dunleavy
    Graham Curtis, Michael Lowry, Aaron Sexton, James Hume, Jack Owens, Robert Baloucoune, Iwan Hughes
    Subs: Clayton Mulligan, Tommy O Hagan, Michael Cromie, Jack Regan, Marcus Rea, Aaron Hall, Michael Stronge, Bruce Houston

Eagles v Dragons Saturday in 2.30pm in Wales.
    Darragh Leader, Rory Scholes, Sean O’Brien, Kieran Joyce, Colm de Buitléar, Conor Fitzgerald, Conor McKeon.
    Matthew Burke, Tom McCartney (c), Conor Carey, Peter Claffey, Joe Maksymiw, Cillian Gallagher, Cian Huxford, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Jonny Murphy, Jordan Duggan, Conor Kenny, Cormac Daly, Neal Moylett, James Mitchell, Conor Dean, Conor Hayes.

• Advertisement

Munster A to play Ospreys tomorrow
    Stephen Fitzgerald; Alan Tynan, Matt More, Alex McHenry, Calvin Nash; Bill Johnston (C), Jack Stafford; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Brian Scott; Fineen Wycherley, Sean O’Connor; Jack Daly, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Billy Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Ciaran Parker, Darragh O’Grady, Dan Walsh, John Poland, Ben Healy, Sean French.

Advertisement