Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork County Council

• 24-08-2018 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Been offered an interview by Cork Co Co in an IT  role. Anyone have experience in a similar role,what to expect etc. What (if any) are the perks or cons of working for Cork Co Co?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mike_cork wrote: »
    Hi,
    Been offered an interview by Cork Co Co in an IT  role. Anyone have experience in a similar role,what to expect etc. What (if any) are the perks or cons of working for Cork Co Co?

I did the interview in Mayo Co Co for an IT role. Was like a Fr Ted sketch.
    3 Intervieweres, none from Mayo Co Co
    1 HR - she asked what I'd do in a conflict situation. Asked why I worked longer hours outside 9-5
    1 ex county manager - asked me who would have the final say in approving the road improvements in Mayo
    Asked what are the major concerns Mayo Co Co have
    IT Guy - asked 3 questions off a sheet.

When I asked how many in the dept, what sort of systems they have I was told "Oh I couldn't answer those as I don't work here".

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Thanks for the response!
    I'm hoping Cork coco might be a little different but unfortunately don't have any inside info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Perks: Flexible working hours..decent pension scheme..family friendly working practices..satisfaction of delivering a public service to help your city..secure job..opportunities to up skill and advance.
    Cons: Its in Cork lol :)
    Real cons: Maybe lower salary than similar role in private sector .

Thanks for the response! Can i ask if it's hard to get promoted, is personal development encouraged i.e. additional training/certification etc?

As an update on this....I have been told I am no 2 on the panel.
    What are the prospects of being offered a position ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

mike_cork wrote:
    As an update on this....I have been told I am no 2 on the panel. What are the prospects of being offered a position ?

If panel is for 12 months, then I would think your chances are good, there is often quite a bit of movement in the IT sections of county councils and by that, I mean moving on to external IT jobs, I'm not sure why, maybe because the pay in private companies is superior to the Public Sector for IT positions.

Yep panel is for 12 months.
    HR told me there is a lot of internal promotion (people going up to the next grade) at present so the role i applied for has not been filled yet i.e. there maybe more than 1 role to fill at the grade i went for.

Advertisement