Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you an moron?

Options
  • 18-09-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭

Currently on zero charge. Waiting half an hour. Two Nissan leafs parked in both charging spots. Not charging, just parked.

They’re not your personal f***ing parking spots. They’re CHARGING spots.

I’m getting absolutely sick of this. It’s not even worth it anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Currently on zero charge. Waiting half an hour. Two Nissan leafs parked in both charging spots. Not charging, just parked.

They’re not your personal fûcking parking spots. They’re CHARGING spots.

I'd love to see a pic of these morons OP:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'd love to see a pic of these morons OP:mad:

Unfortunately I didn’t take one. I should have. I should have written a strongly written note and stuck them to their windows. I managed to park around the back of the charger kind of up on a bank and the charger just about reached. Still raging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

They weren't even plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

They’re not your personal fûcking parking spots. They’re CHARGING spots.

What charger / where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

an moron??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    an moron??

The ironing is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The ironing is delicious

Indeed ;-)

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    an moron??

God damnit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So what charger / where was this?

unkel wrote: »
    So what charger / where was this?

Circle K garage Ballysimon Road limerick. There’s a wait no matter where you go in the city. It’s getting ridiculous now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Circle K garage Ballysimon Road limerick. There’s a wait no matter where you go in the city. It’s getting ridiculous now.

This is Ireland my friend. Expect it to get worse then a little better and finally a lot worse.

Some sort of new tax might sort it out

Fast charger, right? And neither was plugged into the CHAdeMO so not charging?

Should have taken a picture and shamed them here in public

(Different story on a slow charger. You can't expect to wait for one of those as they were designed as destination charger where you leave your car for the whole day or even overnight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

(Different story on a slow charger. You can't expect to wait for one of those as they were designed as destination charger where you leave your car for the whole day or even overnight)

I think the network is collapsing, opened an e v a year now, impossible now to get a charge on the network,

gally74 wrote: »
    I think the network is collapsing, opened an e v a year now, impossible now to get a charge on the network,

Thankfully we are getting a brand new network :cool:

Minimum 6 chargers per location, you have to pay for charging, but the rates are very reasonable.

Yeah I needed the fast charger. Ended up getting the normal one and waiting longer.

In my opinion it’s far too soon for EVs. The infrastructure isn’t there right now. I’m seriously looking at diesel again next year and then hopefully coming back when you can actually charge your car.

Everywhere I go, vans parked in EV spaces, abandoned leafs with no sign of owners around and broken chargers. We got a new charger in Tipp Town about a year ago, it’s never worked. Not even once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭flatty

At least get petrol. You should read up on the damage diesel particulates do to people before buying, and before the diesel nazis start jumping up and down about how clean and safe they are these days, yes, they are cleaner when new, but in ten years time when they are being run round as a 300k Hackney cab, they will bebilging effluent into the systems of all men women and especially children in the vicinity. Should be banned. Would be if politicians weren't cowards.

In my opinion it’s far too soon for EVs. The infrastructure isn’t there right now.

That's a bit of a dismissive statement. There are already budget 64kWh EVs with 500km range. Most will rarely / never use the public charging network. Many current EV owners, even those whose cars have less than 100km range, never use the network

And for those of us who do sometimes do need the network as our batteries are limited (mine is the only family car we have and it only has 28kWh), there is a new high end uncongested superfast network coming. 3 planning permissions have already been lodged. This is not pie in the sky.

And we all know the massive benefits of having EVs. From a personal / owner point of view and for society as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

And we all know the massive benefits of having EVs. From a personal / owner point of view and for society as a whole

As someone who’s driven diesel for years and will quite happily make the leap to EV when budget allows and the time is right but for now, I’m struggling to see the benefits from a personal owner point of view..

Every time I read one of these threads it confirms for me how far away we are from EV as mainstream and what a pain in the ass it can potentially be to drive and own an EV.

I get that there will always be teething problems. I’d just prefer to let someone else be the guinea pig before I spend my hard earned moolah..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Rennaws wrote: »
    As someone who’s driven diesel for years and will quite happily make the leap to EV when budget allows and the time is right but for now, I’m struggling to see the benefits from a personal owner point of view..

Every time I read one of these threads it confirms for me how far away we are from EV as mainstream and what a pain in the ass it can potentially be to drive and own an EV.

I get that there will always be teething problems. I’d just prefer to let someone else be the guinea pig before I spend my hard earned moolah..

Thats just a feel good excuse-laden story.

As of now, EVs don't suit everyone, but they do suit a lot of people.

I have one since March 2017.
    In August I changed jobs and because of the changing driving portfolio for work, I now have a cheap 2nd hand petrol car for return trips over 170 kms summer/150kms winter on a 30kW as I can't rely on the network when scheduling meetings in different towns across Munster and Connaught.
    So it can work if you really wanted it to.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

How about a 90% drop in fuel cost compared to diesel? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How often do you read one of these threads though? In comparison to the hundreds of EVs on the road, charging and getting to their destination every single day it is an incredibly small number.
    If you heard of a petrol acr running out of petrol once in a while or having to queue at the garage, would it put you off petrol cars?
    I completely understand that EVs are a leap for some people but the occasional "I was ICEd when I really needed a charge" threads are the exception, not the rule. I'd argue that EVs are already fairly mainstream now, they are everywhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That's mad, I would have thought there was ample parking for other cars there without using the charging spaces. You'd nearly be more understanding of a ICE parked there if they didn't know what the charger was for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Thats just a feel good excuse-laden story.

As of now, EVs don't suit everyone, but they do suit a lot of people.

I have one since March 2017.
    In August I changed jobs and because of the changing driving portfolio for work, I now have a cheap 2nd hand petrol car for return trips over 170 kms summer/150kms winter on a 30kW as I can't rely on the network when scheduling meetings in different towns across Munster and Connaught.
    So it can work if you really wanted it to.

Seriously? You respond to a poster as if their reasons for not being ready to buy an EV are foolish, and then admit that you have to run two cars in order to be able to have an EV?
    The number of people willing, or able to afford, to keep two cars for one person to justify having an EV are very, very small. And very, very, foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How about a 90% drop in fuel cost compared to diesel? :p

Not much use if you can't get any fuel though. I live in an apartment and my commute is ideal for a BEV. But I won't be thinking about getting one till they introduce charging because they will need to replace the cash from fossil fuels so the savings might not be as big as people think and the reduction in fines from the EU won't mean we pay less.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not much use if you can't get any fuel though. I live in an apartment

Yeah that's an issue. There have been regular users on this forum though who live in an apartment or in a house without a driveway who have successfully installed a charger. But I think they did have to jump through a few hoops alright to get it sorted.

And nobody is saying that going EV is suitable for 100% of the people right now. It will take time for this transition to complete. Even now, there are only about 3,000 EVs on the road in Ireland out of 2,000,000 cars in total. That's just 0.15%. We are still in the "Innovator" stage of this change and won't move into the "Early adaptor" stage until there are at least 50,000 EVs on our road, which is probably about 2 years away.

And nobody is saying that going EV is suitable for 100% of the people right now. It will take time for this transition to complete. Even now, there are only about 3,000 EVs on the road in Ireland out of 2,000,000 cars in total. That's just 0.15%. We are still in the "Innovator" stage of this change and won't move into the "Early adaptor" stage until there are at least 50,000 EVs on our road, which is probably about 2 years away.

I'd agree with you there. I considered an EV, and it would be suitable for me 6 days out of 7, but for the time being, it makes no sense for me to get one if I have to use a different car one day a week. I considered hiring a car for that one day, and using an EV the rest of the time, but with pick-up, drop-off, and the sheer palaver of it all, I decided against.

Aye it would be insane to have to own two cars or to rent a car every week, just to go EV. At some stage Nissan in the UK offered the free use of an ICE car for Leaf owners a few times a year if they needed to drive long distance. But this is madness to me. Also people who have to use the public charging network on their commute every day are mad imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Gravelly wrote: »
    Seriously?
    1: You respond to a poster as if their reasons for not being ready to buy an EV are foolish, and then admit that you have to run two cars in order to be able to have an EV?
    2: The number of people willing, or able to afford, to keep two cars for one person to justify having an EV are very, very small.
    3: And very, very, foolish.
    1: your interpretation of what I wrote: did I use the word foolish?
    Admit ! : is this a trial?
    Its not Admit, it's called 100% integrity and authenticity, no BS

2:your interpretation again: it was a question of getting the second car or else get the sack.

3: This word foolish again: you like using it.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/foolish?s=t

foolish [foo-lish]

adjective
    1. resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise:
    2. a foolish action, a foolish speech.
    3. lacking forethought or caution.
    4. trifling, insignificant, or paltry.

I don't believe I am guilty of any of the above.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

1: your interpretation of what I wrote: did I use the word foolish?
    Admit ! : is this a trial?
    Its not Admit, it's called 100% integrity and authenticity, no BS

2:your interpretation again: it was a question of getting the second car or else get the sack.

3: This word foolish again: you like using it.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/foolish?s=t

foolish [foo-lish]

adjective
    1. resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise:
    2. a foolish action, a foolish speech.
    3. lacking forethought or caution.
    4. trifling, insignificant, or paltry.

I don't believe I am guilty of any of the above.

That's some post. It makes the previous (foolish) one look like the epitome of restrained elegance.

I submit you are indeed guilty of foolishness - you bought two cars to do the job of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Yeah that's an issue. There have been regular users on this forum though who live in an apartment or in a house without a driveway who have successfully installed a charger. But I think they did have to jump through a few hoops alright to get it sorted.

Any examples of these users?

I'd like to go EV for the 2nd car in the household in the next 12-18 months but not going to do it without home charging and I don't have a driveway.

Advertisement