Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Mini Announced

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

If it has original Silent Hill I'd consider buying if it's priced alright. I'd say they'll put GTA on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If it has original Silent Hill I'd consider buying if it's priced alright. I'd say they'll put GTA on it as well.
    €99,99.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Id expect, Tomb raider, Gran turismo and Metal gear solid... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, those early days of 3D were a bit of a Wild West for game mechanics, I'm not sure a lot of those games will have aged too well. Last time I tried playing Tomb Raider, the tank controls forced me to give up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I replayed tomb raider expecting it to have aged poorly. Ended up finishing it and thoroughly enjoying it. It's wonky but still a classic.

The sequels not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I enjoyed 2 enough to finish it, but sneaking around an oil rig and ice caverns was boring compared to actual historic tombs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, those early days of 3D were a bit of a Wild West for game mechanics, I'm not sure a lot of those games will have aged too well. Last time I tried playing Tomb Raider, the tank controls forced me to give up.
    The control scheme and camera angles in the original Metal Gear Solid are mind blowingly bad when you're used to more modern games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I got the two Nintendo classics because I'd never owned those consoles before, but I've enough experience with the PS1 to know I don't want to return to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I got the two Nintendo classics because I'd never owned those consoles before, but I've enough experience with the PS1 to know I don't want to return to it :p

PS1 is the best console there ever was, but yeah im not really arsed to get this, i still have my PS1, but the only way id buy this (i havent got any of the mini consoles yet) is if every game on it was to my liking, so far the line up is meh..

While FF7 is great, i still have the original and i have a digital copy on my PS4, while Tekken 3 was amazing, i wouldnt play it.. Wild Arms is the only one im drawn to so far and thats only because ive never played it, its one of the ones that got away..

Id much rather they made handheld efforts with these "mini" fad releases, i can defo see me playing this when traveling :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

nix wrote: »
    Id much rather they made handheld efforts with these "mini" fad releases, i can defo see me playing this when traveling :(

if you can get your hands on a pspgo, they're ridiculously easy to mod and use as an emulator. I have all my favourite ps1 games running perfectly on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Pre-ordered one in Smyths earlier. :)
    Will wait to see what the full line up is before I decide if it's worth €100.
    No doubt Sony will want to lock these down so that we can't add games ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Pre-ordered one in Smyths earlier. :)
    Will wait to see what the full line up is before I decide if it's worth €100.
    No doubt Sony will want to lock these down so that we can't add games ourselves!

Because that worked with ALL of their small consoles before :rolleyes:

Most likely, the machine will have barely enough space for all its ROMs so at best you can only replace existing games with the ones you want.

Also this thing has the original gamepads.
    Unless it allows you to connect dual-stick controllers via USB I'd give this a hard pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The PS4 has a dormant emulator for classic PS games in it some clever individuals found out. They could probably make every PS game work their latest machine but they choose not to. Most of the PSP games aren't available on Vita but you can mod the Vita to play 90%+ of the PSP library (as well as do many other things).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Fairly easy to add extra storage to SNES mini though. Life finds a way. Never had a PlayStation so not too bothered with getting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have it pre-ordered. Can't wait to take it out, use it once or twice and then put it on a shelf to gather dust with my NES and SNES Minis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Because that worked with ALL of their small consoles before :rolleyes:

If this is a Vita TV in a different shell, it’ll be pretty secure for the time being. Sony have just pushed a new Vita update which blocks the most recent exploit...the creator of which has said he’s not going looking into the new firmware. It took him years of work to exploit the previous firmware.

http://wololo.net/2018/09/11/ps-vita-3-69-confirmed-to-patch-h-encore-theflow-to-open-source-the-exploit/

He is open sourcing the exploit, and Sony didn’t patch quite everything, but a whole new exploit chain will be needed for the latest firmware, and I doubt that’ll be easy or quick.

Advertisement