Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everything NES is NEW again!

• 19-09-2018 8:39am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, once again, Nintendo are selling the gullible and vulnerable NES games, NES games they already own a number of times.
    That demographic is, of course, referring to me.... obviously.

And, with the launch of their online service early this morning it brought a decent selection of NES games with some tweaks such as online two player play, a couple of filters and save states to the Switch.

screen-shot-2018-09-13-at-3-17-02-pm.png

Apparently, this is only to be the start, with more NES games and more formats to come, meaning the family plan I'm paying, about €34.99, per year is good value, at least to me.

Comments

No Urban Champion??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But yet at least.
    I've installed both the local and Japanese Nintendo app and though they seem the same there might be a difference or two, but it is the start, with the library to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Also include me in the "gullible and vulnerable" demographic - I signed up this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

Definitely letting this one slide. The pricing seems reasonable, so can't complain on that end. I'll happily wait for RetroArch on Switch though, which will cover all the portable retro needs. I don't feel bad one bit about not giving Nintendo more money, there's only so many times you can buy the same games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Is this a Nintendo switch-only thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lemming wrote: »
    Is this a Nintendo switch-only thing?

Yes, they have introduced Netflix style access to their NES back catalogue as a sweetener to their subscription based online service.
    It's only about 20 games in size right now but due to expand and include more systems over time.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    but due to expand and include more systems over time.

Didn't take too long...
    According to Polygon, Switch Online is so exploitable because the service is using the same type of easily hackable emulation software that Nintendo implemented in the NES Classic and SNES Classic consoles. One of the hackers who's already added their own ROMs to Nintendo Switch Online, kapu, told Polygon that setting everything up takes a bit of work, but is manageable with instructions. After that setup, it's "insanely easy to swap out ROMs and add entirely new ones.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hackers-have-already-added-more-games-to-switch-on/1100-6461898/

I'm just going to wait for the collection offered to expand naturally, again, it's not like I'm short of ways to play all of those platforms, including original hardware.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm just going to wait for the collection offered to expand naturally

I'd say you'll have to anyway, this will trigger a ban wave. But to use the same compromised 'security' used on the Mini consoles...tsk tsk...

Advertisement