Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Service - CO to EO?

• 20-09-2018 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am wondering how long one would one usually have to work in a clerical officer/administrative assistant role before they could realistically apply for an executive officer role? Also would someone holding a degree be of an advantage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If on the open panel you need a degree.
    No time limit on open as it's an exam and interview.
    You need to be through probation+ 2 years in the dept for internal promotion as and when it opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Thanks for the info. Is it true the process for these type roles can take up to 5 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

splashuum wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Is it true the process for these type roles can take up to 5 months?

The process can take longer than that, I was placed reasonably high in my counties (top ten for both) and did not need to be vetted as it had been done 6/7 months previous for CO and it was still ten months from application to starting new job for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The process can take longer than that, I was placed reasonably high in my counties (top ten for both) and did not need to be vetted as it had been done 6/7 months previous for CO and it was still ten months from application to starting new job for me

Took me 18 months to go from application to appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Took me 18 months to go from application to appointment

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

splashuum wrote: »

5 months is more like the minimum. 10-12 months is more usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gambon

I just got placement in Clonmel from the CO 2016 comp. Does anyone know where I might end up ??

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

You need to be through probation+ 2 years in the dept for internal promotion as and when it opens up.

That is incorrect. You dont need a degree (level 7) You need a qualification that is equivalent to or of a higher standard than a grade D in ordinary level maths and Irish or English, alongside five grade C passes at higher level of the leaving cert. Leaving Cert is level 5 qqi. I have an advanced level 6 qqi certificate (1 level below an ordinary degree) in computer systems and networks and was told that was acceptable as it's higher than the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Gambon wrote: »
    I just got placement in Clonmel from the CO 2016 comp. Does anyone know where I might end up ??

Dept of Social Protection would be the biggest there I think but possibly also the courts service or Garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Yeah, no degree needed

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Gambon

Hi. Has anyone heard of pay increases coming in March ? I’ve heard a rumour of entry CO pay scale jumping two places !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Gambon wrote: »
    Hi. Has anyone heard of pay increases coming in March ? I’ve heard a rumour of entry CO pay scale jumping two places !

https://www.per.gov.ie/en/statement-by-minister-donohoe-on-new-entrant-salary-scale-issue-agreement-reached-with-public-services-committee-of-ictu/
    Where two additional scale points were applied to pay scales under the Haddington Road Agreement, it is agreed that there will be two separate interventions in the pay scales as they apply to ‘new entrant’ public servants recruited since January 2011.

The two separate interventions will take place at point 4 and point 8 of pay scales. The practical effect of this is that for ‘new entrants’ the relevant points on the scale will be bypassed thereby reducing the time spent (by bypassing two increment points) on the scale for progression to the maximum point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Can I bump this to ask are you eligible to apply for internal promotion from CO to EO after 2 years if you have NOT completed a leaving cert or degree. I am getting a lot of conflicting information. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Can I bump this to ask are you eligible to apply for internal promotion from CO to EO after 2 years if you have NOT completed a leaving cert or degree. I am getting a lot of conflicting information. Thanks
    you definitely do not need a degree, and I'm fairly sure you don't need a Leaving Cert if you've over 2 years service within the CS

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

That is incorrect. You dont need a degree (level 7) You need a qualification that is equivalent to or of a higher standard than a grade D in ordinary level maths and Irish or English, alongside five grade C passes at higher level of the leaving cert. Leaving Cert is level 5 qqi. I have an advanced level 6 qqi certificate (1 level below an ordinary degree) in computer systems and networks and was told that was acceptable as it's higher than the LC.
    So with that said - has anyone ever been accepted with a level 5 award the is not a leaving cert but is of equal or higher standard - like A levels, or level 5 qqi award?

Advertisement