Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squaring club face with hybrids

Options
  • 23-09-2018 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Time to time playing golf I have trouble seeing a square club face on my 5 wood. When I think its square its very closed I readjust but its not consistent. This mostly happens on funny lies, slopes etc. It could my stance too but I'm looking to rule out the grip.

So I never liked hybrids as I always hooked them now I'm thinking this was a similar issue, as I can't see a square face while playing. I played yesterday after trying out some hybrids on the range beforehand and settled on the ping G 22deg with x stiff to fight the hook.

While on the range I was shaping it left and right but on the course I was hitting low hooks. I lined up the club using the lines on the grip placing it in my hands correctly. It helped straighten out the flight but still not great. I hit my 4 iron great 175m average but wanted a less effort club. Thinking of trying a ribbed grip.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Time to time playing golf I have trouble seeing a square club face on my 5 wood. When I think its square its very closed I readjust but its not consistent. This mostly happens on funny lies, slopes etc. It could my stance too but I'm looking to rule out the grip.

So I never liked hybrids as I always hooked them now I'm thinking this was a similar issue, as I can't see a square face while playing. I played yesterday after trying out some hybrids on the range beforehand and settled on the ping G 22deg with x stiff to fight the hook.

While on the range I was shaping it left and right but on the course I was hitting low hooks. I lined up the club using the lines on the grip placing it in my hands correctly. It helped straighten out the flight but still not great. I hit my 4 iron great 175m average but wanted a less effort club. Thinking of trying a ribbed grip.

Any thoughts?
    Have you looked at ball position in your stance? Everyone's swing is different, so it could possibly be the case that you're setting it too far forward and coming into the ball with the face closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Have you looked at ball position in your stance? Everyone's swing is different, so it could possibly be the case that you're setting it too far forward and coming into the ball with the face closed.

I'll certainly look at that, but it looks closed at set up and when I adjust it still looks closed very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Woods should just sit square, unlike an iron. Watch that you aren't manipulating it when you tighten your grip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Hybrids are generally more upright than irons which will point the face left along with some having more off set which would close the face a fraction quicker.

The Titleist hybrids can be adjusted, I'm sure others can aswell.

I'm seeing it closed at set up lads I can't find a square club. Shaft lean for a hybrid like an iron or wood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm seeing it closed at set up lads I can't find a square club. Shaft lean for a hybrid like an iron or wood?
    Depends on the loft/length, 16° will have less lean than a 24° as one is replacing a 1/2i and the other a 4/5i. I played with a guy who had almost no lean at set up and hit them quite well too so I guess what feels good.

What about the pro versions, Xhot pro etc?

Anything with the same name as GI irons will generally carry the same theme ( chunky w/ offset closed face)

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Depends on the loft/length, 16° will have less lean than a 24° as one is replacing a 1/2i and the other a 4/5i. I played with a guy who had almost no lean at set up and hit them quite well too so I guess what feels good.

What about the pro versions, Xhot pro etc?

Anything with the same name as GI irons will generally carry the same theme ( chunky w/ offset closed face)

Yeah I hit the xhot pro found it hard to control compared to the ping G. Anyway I think its happening on a down hill lie I simulated it using a wooden drafts board in the living room. My hands are forward shoulders tilted towards the target club face although square in my hands is shut. So I will take it to the range with a block of wood.

Advertisement