Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Handicaps

• 23-09-2018 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Coming into the winter season what effect
    Does this have on the handicaps I was told In the club you can get cut but no increases is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

kod12 wrote: »
    Does this have on the handicaps I was told In the club you can get cut but no increases is this the case?
    It really depends on what the conditions are. Usually competitions are non-qualifying for handicap purposes once winter rules are in force (placing everywhere). When that happens, clubs generally apply club only handicap adjustments and these would be downward only, but also generally limited to a couple of strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You will be cut just for the domestic winter competitions, your GUI handicap will remain the same (unless of course you play in a qualifying event!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Generally speaking, if there is placing on the Fairways, it'll still count as a qualifying competition for handicap purposes.

As soon as you're lifting the ball in the rough, that's when the qualifying ends, and as mentioned above, you'll only get a winter-cut, rather than a cut to your GUI...unless your handicap secretary gives you a general play/observation cut, which would stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I have a similiar question, I was told that as the Winter Competitions are over 15 holes, I have to apply to the office for a revised handicap. How does this work ?

Drifter50 wrote: »
    I have a similiar question, I was told that as the Winter Competitions are over 15 holes, I have to apply to the office for a revised handicap. How does this work ?
    I believe that the 15 holes are re-indexed and your handicap is obviously then pro-rata for the 15 holes. So say the 18th hole is part of the 15 and its index is 18, it will then be re-indexed to 15. Here's an example I made up myself with holes marked where a notional 13 handicapper would have shots.

Hole|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18
    Index|2|5|1|7|15|14|4|16|12|3|11|6|13|8|10|17|9|18
    Shots|X|X|X|X|||X||X|X|X|X|X|X|X||X|
    New Index|2|5|1|7|12|8|4|13|10|3|11|6|-|-|-|14|9|15
    New Shots|X|X|X|X||X|X||X|X|X|X|-|-|-||X|

The 13 handicap is recalculated for 15 holes and comes out at 10.8 or 11 when rounded off. I purposely picked an odd handicap because you often get a shot on a different hole in that case. Usually an even number handicap will get shots on the same holes that they would have had for the full 18. In the case above, they get a shot on hole 6 where they wouldn't have had normally. That's explained by the fact that the three omitted holes would have provided an extra shot on each.

I'm sure somebody will be along to tell me this is wrong, but that's my best effort based on my experiences playing 9 hole competitions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

but that doesn't explain why he has to apply to the office

Seve OB wrote: »
    but that doesn't explain why he has to apply to the office
    Yeah. Depends on what systems they use. The most popular systems have this built in, but it's possible that these aren't in use there.

we don't have anything built in.

we do have a 14 holes card or a 9 hole card.

it is not hard to do the math on ones handicap.... ie divide it by 18 and multiply the answer by how many holes you are playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Never heard of applying to the office for a 15 hole handicap. You get 5/6ths of your handicap and the comp secretary adjusts the card indexes accordingly.

In answer to the OP, you can get a discretionary cut to your GUI at anytime during the winter for exceptional play, regardless of conditions, format, or number of holes. That handicap stands and is permanent.

You can also get adjusted up or down on January 1st by your club committee, on reflection of your performance in all competitions throughout the year. That's end of your adjustment. Again, permanent.

Non permanent is for example you win a 9 hole turkey, next 9 hole you're cut a shot, but just for that format.

we don't have anything built in.

we do have a 14 holes card or a 9 hole card.

it is not hard to do the math on ones handicap.... ie divide it by 18 and multiply the answer by how many holes you are playing!
    Well if you look at my [very interesting ;)] table above, hole indices will change based on a subset of the normal 18 hole indices. This is necessary because it often happens that the holes dropped could reduce the actual number of shots available to certain handicaps beyond the pro-rata reduction.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well if you look at my [very interesting ;)] table above, hole indices will change based on a subset of the normal 18 hole indices. This is necessary because it often happens that the holes dropped could reduce the actual number of shots available to certain handicaps beyond the pro-rata reduction.

interesting one up till a couple of years ago I was a slightly higher handicap and I never get a shot on the 8th hole.....but roll around the winter 14 hole card and now I get a shot... but don't loose any shots anywhere else. of course it is all to do with the holes we are now not playing. but that boils down to rejigging the card and doing a proper job to make a card for the holes in play.

Actually this possibly merits its own discussion, but it is really winter related so I'll leave it here for now and see how we go.

Most clubs will play a shortened version of their course over the winter months, mainly due to light restrictions and trying to make space on the time sheet to keep everyone happy.
    As I mentioned, we have seperate 9 hole and 14 hole cards and you will adjust your handicap accordingly.

But I do know of a lot of clubs who don't bother with separate cards for 9, 12, 14, 15 whatever they are playing, they just use the full card and never adjust it, but you play off your regular handicap.... that is just wrong in my opinion.

what does your club do?

interesting one up till a couple of years ago I was a slightly higher handicap and I never get a shot on the 8th hole.....but roll around the winter 14 hole card and now I get a shot... but don't loose any shots anywhere else. of course it is all to do with the holes we are now not playing. but that boils down to rejigging the card and doing a proper job to make a card for the holes in play.
    Well you don't normally have to make up a new card if the software does it for you. But sometimes these short course variants aren't built in, as they are often dependant on what holes are actually playable in the winter.

As I said, it's very often the case that the indices match the handicap and there's no problem. I purposely set up my example to show the edge case. So in my example, the player gets a shot on the index 14 hole which he wouldn't normally have. I'd imagine that the club would give him a 14 handicap for the winter and because he's not playing the other three holes he has shots on, it works out fine in stableford competition.

Edit: Just to answer your question above. My club has never (in the time I've been there) played a variant other than the 9 hole one. Which is built in to the software, so requires no extra manipulation. And it correctly calculates the indices and shots per hole. This is how I worked out how the system operates.

Work out 5/6 of your handicap.
    Whatever that number is, rounded to nearest integer, is the number of shots you have and you take them on the easiest holes that you play.

If your handicap works out at 4 then you take your shots on the four lowest index holes that you play, this could be index 1, 3, 5 & 12 for example.

We have cards for our two 12 hole winter comps, but it can be an uneccessary expense for some clubs, its just winter golf afterall.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Work out 5/6 of your handicap.
    Whatever that number is, rounded to nearest integer, is the number of shots you have and you take them on the easiest holes that you play.

If your handicap works out at 4 then you take your shots on the four lowest index holes that you play, this could be index 1, 3, 5 & 12 for example.

We have cards for our two 12 hole winter comps, but it can be an uneccessary expense for some clubs, its just winter golf afterall.
    Yeah. But for the software to calculate your stableford score properly, this may require a handicap adjustment. Manually always works more intuitively. :)

Yeah. But for the software to calculate your stableford score properly, this may require a handicap adjustment. Manually always works more intuitively. :)

If you have cards then there is no software change, its just a different competition course.

If you dont have cards then I wouldn't bother using the software in the first place...

We don't use computer over short course. Not sure why not

If you have cards then there is no software change, its just a different competition course.

If you dont have cards then I wouldn't bother using the software in the first place...
    Why not? It makes the handicap secretary's job a hell of a lot easier if people are entering their scores on the computer. And the handicap is adjusted to iron out any anomalies from the short course.

Why not? It makes the handicap secretary's job a hell of a lot easier if people are entering their scores on the computer. And the handicap is adjusted to iron out any anomalies from the short course.

I'm not following your point about "handicap is adjusted to iron out any anomalies?"

What anomalies? If your handicap is X you get a shot on the X hardest holes...sure this might mean you have shots on holes where you dont when playing 18 holes...but so what?
    I'm even more confused by you saying they would give a 13 handicap golfer a handicap of 14?!:confused:

I'm not following your point about "handicap is adjusted to iron out any anomalies?"

What anomalies? If your handicap is X you get a shot on the X hardest holes...sure this might mean you have shots on holes where you dont when playing 18 holes...but so what?
    I'm even more confused by you saying they would give a 13 handicap golfer a handicap of 14?!:confused:
    This is purely based on the software in use and the OP's question as to why he would have to go to the office to get his handicap checked. In most cases there's no change. But in the example I gave (assuming they don't or can't change the indexes in the software) they give an extra shot so that the pro-rata'd handicap matches the holes in play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I believe that the 15 holes are re-indexed and your handicap is obviously then pro-rata for the 15 holes. So say the 18th hole is part of the 15 and its index is 18, it will then be re-indexed to 15. Here's an example I made up myself with holes marked where a notional 13 handicapper would have shots.

Hole|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18
    Index|2|5|1|7|15|14|4|16|12|3|11|6|13|8|10|17|9|18
    Shots|X|X|X|X|||X||X|X|X|X|X|X|X||X|
    New Index|2|5|1|7|12|8|4|13|10|3|9|6|-|-|-|14|11|15
    New Shots|X|X|X|X||X|X||X|X|X|X|-|-|-||X|

The 13 handicap is recalculated for 15 holes and comes out at 10.8 or 11 when rounded off. I purposely picked an odd handicap because you often get a shot on a different hole in that case. Usually an even number handicap will get shots on the same holes that they would have had for the full 18. In the case above, they get a shot on hole 6 where they wouldn't have had normally. That's explained by the fact that the three omitted holes would have provided an extra shot on each.

I'm sure somebody will be along to tell me this is wrong, but that's my best effort based on my experiences playing 9 hole competitions. :)

How would the 17th go from the 9th hardest hole to the 11th hardest with less holes in play? I really don't understand how that is possible? Is this a specific course example?

kiers47 wrote: »
    How would the 17th go from the 9th hardest hole to the 11th hardest with less holes in play? I really don't understand how that is possible? Is this a specific course example?
    It wouldn't. You found the deliberate error I put in to see if everyone was paying attention. :o

It's not a specific course. I just made it up.

Just reverse the 17th and 11th's indexes and it's all good. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

It wouldn't. You found the deliberate error I put in to see if everyone was paying attention. :o

It's not a specific course. I just made it up.

Just reverse the 17th and 11th's indexes and it's all good. ;)

Haha fair enough. I thought i was missing something.

We dont have a specific card but yes it works like most are saying.
    If you have X shots then you have shots at the X lowest indexed holes in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Thanks for the responses, appreciate that. Maybe I used the wrong term "apply to the office", I should have said asked the office or the handicap secretary. This is my 3rd year playing and I`m still learning some of the nuances. In our club the 15 holes picked for winter golf left out 10,11 and 17 which seemed a tad random but I guess each club picks their own "winter holes"

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, appreciate that. Maybe I used the wrong term "apply to the office", I should have said asked the office or the handicap secretary. This is my 3rd year playing and I`m still learning some of the nuances. In our club the 15 holes picked for winter golf left out 10,11 and 17 which seemed a tad random but I guess each club picks their own "winter holes"
    They're probably holes that are prone to getting soggy in wet weather.

They're probably holes that are prone to getting soggy in wet weather.

Or is a convenient loop back to the clubhouse thats less than 18

Or is a convenient loop back to the clubhouse thats less than 18
    Well 18 is still playing, so one would assume that it's near the club house.

Well 18 is still playing, so one would assume that it's near the club house.

:confused:
    Less than 18 holes, not specifically the 18th hole.

:confused:
    Less than 18 holes, not specifically the 18th hole.
    The OP said which holes were not in play. He said 10, 11 and 17. Which means 18 is in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My place has a little print-out beside the sign in computer in the pro-shop, which tells you your playing handicap for any handicap level for 9, 12 & 14 hole competitions.

So for me, off 12, it gives me:

9 hole: 6
    12 hole: 8
    14 Hole: 9

We don't have different cards for the different comps though, but the score input computer calculates your stableford score from the revised indices for the different competition lengths.

Our 9 hole comps run 2 separate 9s
    Our 12 hole runs 1-10, 13, 14
    Our 14 hole runs 1-14

Our 14th loops back close enough to the 9th green which is near to the clubhouse so it makes sense from a flow perspective

Advertisement