Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Hurley" grip

Options
  • 24-09-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭

Lads a friend is taking up golf and is from a hurling background.

I know everyone says you shouldn't.

But anyone here got the actual technical reason why it is problematic in the golf swing ?

Another friend gets on ok with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd say if he's no aspirations of going pro then go with whatever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Wrist angles is the main reason why left below right for right handed golfers isn't ideal. Much harder to get the correct flexion and extension (or bowing and cupping).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cellosid

It was good enough for Sewsunker,............... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewsunker_Sewgolum

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

The biggest problem is other golfers telling you you're never going to improve :D

Joking aside, you learn to adapt to what suits and the swing comes naturally. I hit pretty long and most days it's fine. As with everyone else it's the short game that costs me shots and I can't really put that down to grip.

Cackhanded feels right to me. Tried orthodox grip but after swinging a hurl for 30 years the brain is hardwired. Everyone is trying to fix something, be it their grip, swing, alignment, etc. No different for me. I decided to play with hurly grip and enjoy myself rather than get frustrated trying normal grip.

I'd tell him to get out and enjoy himself! I don't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Most "regular grip" people with a swing issue or trait they don't like either go to a pro for help or self-disgnose problems perhaps with help from youtube. I'd imagine that all of this support is off the table for cack guys, who have to make it their own way through feel. I'm sure there are merits to bucking the accepted way and doing things your own way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hurling grip isn't cack handed. Think they are being confused?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Keano wrote: »

Oops. I thought they were the same thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

What's the difference between them? Both left below right I would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I was left below right for first 4 years of playing golf (started when I was 30 / played P&P for childhood with left below right).

I was adamant that I'd never change as I thought it would be impossible to retrain the brain. I got to 12 and long story short I decided to change. Best move I ever made and it was so much easier than I feared. I had it changed and feeling 'normal' after a week of range work.

I still putt and chip from around the green with old grip. Got down to 7 but now off 10 (other story!).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As someone who has played hurling all my life I've never understood what is meant by "hurling grip". I hold a golf club the same as I hold a Hurley apart from linking the hands but no one refers to me as having a hurling grip. Is it not linking the hands?

Can someone explain?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

As someone who has played hurling all my life I've never understood what is meant by "hurling grip". I hold a golf club the same as I hold a Hurley apart from linking the hands but no one refers to me as having a hurling grip. Is it not linking the hands?

Can someone explain?

The classic grip for a right handed Hurler would be right hand on top. The classic grip for a right handed golfer would be left hand on top. I think that is all it refers to. Nothing got to do with linking or overlapping the fingers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What's the difference between them? Both left below right I would have thought?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqo-5m2L9eEmUNhLw9BdsHaJn4RONmRpcwv0bY72-0JOtNkf-jxw

This guy is striking off his left. If he was to be considered a stickman in a traditional hurler viewpoint he would have his left hand on top.

Right hand on top, right handed hurler. Not sure of your point?

If he was to use that grip (left hand lower) and at the same time use an orthodox golf grip he'd have to play golf left handed. If he were to use that grip and play golf right handed then he would be playing cack handed.

We are talking about right handed hurlers (left hand low) using that grip to play golf right handed ie: cack handed

plumber77 wrote: »
    This guy is striking off his left. If he was to be considered a stickman in a traditional hurler viewpoint he would have his left hand on top.

Well that's just not true.
    Right hand on top, right handed hurler. Not sure of your point?

If he was to use that grip (left hand lower) and at the same time use an orthodox golf grip he'd have to play golf left handed. If he were to use that grip and play golf right handed then he would be playing cack handed.

We are talking about right handed hurlers (left hand low) using that grip to play golf right handed ie: cack handed

No he wouldn't he would still be right hand on top. Look at Phil, he's a lefty and what hand is on top?

phil-mickelson.jpg

Cack handed just is a lot more comfortable for some people but it's not a hurling grip, in fact most coaches try get kids to put right hand on top from the get go but obviously some just hate it and revert to left hand on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Spot on what people are saying. The traditional standpoint and what is thought to all at underage is the dominant hand on top.

A couple of famous goalkeepers off the top of my head use the weak hand on top grip. Brendan Cummins being the first name that comes to mind.
    I believe Anthony Nash also uses weak hand on top grip.

Not true why Keano. At least elaborate on your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

If he's more comfortable with his right hand on top, would he consider just playing golf left handed?

It's what I did but I was a helluva a lot more comfortable on my left side in hurling as well.

No he wouldn't he would still be right hand on top. Look at Phil, he's a lefty and what hand is on top?

phil-mickelson.jpg

Cack handed just is a lot more comfortable for some people but it's not a hurling grip, in fact most coaches try get kids to put right hand on top from the get go but obviously some just hate it and revert to left hand on top.

I'm not sure how I can explain this properly to you but I'll try:

A orthodox right handed hurler holds the hurley with his right hand on top.
    Most right handed people play golf right handed which is right hand lower.
    Now some right handed hurlers cannot make the adjustment to play right handed golf with an orthodox right hand lower grip. These people either play left handed golf with an orthodox left handed grip (left below right) or more ofthen than not play right handed golf cack handed ie left below right

Your picture of Tony Kelly (?) is of a right handed hurler striking the sliotar off of his left hand side, who if he assumed this position to take a shot in golf would be setting up as a natural lefty would with an orthodox left handed grip

phil-mickelson.jpg

Also, phil is not a lefty. Just a right hander who plays left handed

• Advertisement

plumber77 wrote: »
    Not true why Keano. At least elaborate on your point.
    Right hand should always be on top. Regardless if you left or right handed but of course like kiers pointed out a few go weak hand on top as that just works for them

Right hand should always be on top. Regardless if you left or right handed but of course like kiers pointed out a few go weak hand on top as that just works for them

What?

I've seen very few right handed hurlers use the right hand on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I'm not sure how I can explain this properly to you but I'll try:

A orthodox right handed hurler holds the hurley with his right hand on top.
    Most right handed people play golf right handed which is right hand lower.
    Now some right handed hurlers cannot make the adjustment to play right handed golf with an orthodox right hand lower grip. These people either play left handed golf with an orthodox left handed grip (left below right) or more ofthen than not play right handed golf cack handed ie left below right

This is correct certainly in my instance.
    Im left handed, played hurling for 15 odd years left handed, took up golf after hurling, and i play golf orthodox right handed. IE I use right handed clubs and my right hand is lower.

Tried playing golf with left handed clubs and also tried left handed clubs "cack handed" but the most comfortable set up for me is orthodox right handed. A friend of mine is the same, he is left handed but plays orthodox right. Hes also a lot better than me, he's playing off 8...

As many have suggested, id just go with whatever feels most comfortable and enjoy your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Patww79 wrote: »

Well im not doubting you but every hurler i know uses their stronger hand on top... i coach underage kids at hurling and we coach all our kids to use their stronger hand at the top. Its one of the fundamentals of the game...

Patww79 wrote: »

Seen very few right handed hurlers use the right hand on top playing hurling or playing golf?

allybhoy wrote: »
    Well im not doubting you but every hurler i know uses their stronger hand on top... i coach underage kids at hurling and we coach all our kids to use their stronger hand at the top. Its one of the fundamentals of the game...

In fairness, I'm from Wicklow :D

Seen very few right handed hurlers use the right hand on top playing hurling or playing golf?

Playing hurling, I think anyway but I'm starting to doubt it now.

I was left on top for hurling on golf but I was always scandalously bad at both.

Are you seriously saying that in hurling every player should have the right hand on top regardless of their dexterity? That's just not true and if this was coached at underage level would end up with 90% of left handers giving up the game before they reach the age of 12.

Should every darts player throw darts with his right hand too?

• Advertisement

Looks like no definitive answers in regard to this.

I would have always thought(traditionally of course there are exceptions)
    Right handed Hurler - right hand on top
    Left handed Hurler - left hand on top

Opposite hand on top then for a classic golf grip.

Advertisement