Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you still keep in touch with your former employers?

Options
  • 24-09-2018 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

If you had the opportunity would you ever call over for a visit to see them? (If you left your employment on good terms with them)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I still keep in touch with them but only drop in if I have business to do with them. Always good to stay on good terms. I’ve recently moved back to a previous employer, they contacted me to come back so it was great for negotiating

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Never burn your bridges is a good rule of thumb. But it does not necessarily mean you have to keep those bridges well maintained. A good employer would expect no more than you leaving on good terms and not dissing the place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes.
    I am still in the same line of work, so I transfer a lot of work their way also.
    They would also contact me for advice on regulatory matters or "how do we sort this" type of situations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

Thanks all. I left my last employment on good terms, and was planning at the back of my mind to visit my old boss, ( as I've just secured a new job) sometime in the near future, just to say hello. They were very good to me so its just something I'd like to do.

Good idea or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Hello 1 wrote: »
    Thanks all. I left my last employment on good terms, and was planning at the back of my mind to visit my old boss, ( as I've just secured a new job) sometime in the near future, just to say hello. They were very good to me so its just something I'd like to do.

Good idea or not?

Dont see any downside.

Have kept in touch with some, usually the longer you are gone the less you have in common. After a certain period i didnt really have much to talk about with some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You appear to be having doubts about your new job and you are considering "dropping in" to your old job.

Have you really given some thought to your real justification for "dropping in" to your old job?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I would occasionally catch up with former colleagues for a drink, but I don’t really see the point in visiting the office to say hi. (Especially if you have gone to a competitor). As long as your references are sorted, there’s no need to go back to the office. I don’t think it is a good idea. Once you are gone, move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Have you talked to a therapist or GP yet about your anxiety issues?

The sooner you accept you have a anxiety issues the sooner you can start trying to fix it...

I say the above with kindness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Many, not all. Recent one is a sociopath, so if I ever have any further contact with her it's likely to involve men in wigs 😏. I've very good relationships with some, and meet up for lunch still.

Advertisement