boards.ie Mobile
Page 657 of 657
« First < 157557607647655656657
Soccer>Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)
Harry Palmr 13:09 09-04-2018
Originally Posted by murpho999:
Looking at last year's table as a barometer of progress, at 33 games last year we had 66 points compared to today's 67.

I know we have Champion's League games this season but it does feel like we're playing much better this year compared to last and I find it odd we're only 1 point better off.

Compare that to City who are on 84 points compared to 64 points last season and Utd on 71 points compared to 60.

Spurs have 4 points less and Chelsea have collapsed and are a massive 18 points down.

Is it really an accurate sign of progress?
Champions League semi final beckons and you're wondering what? If Liverpool are more than one point better, wait until the end of the season. Judge then, when a holistic view is possible.
[Thank]
Utopia Parkway 13:09 09-04-2018 (1 Thanks)
I know we have Champion's League games this season but it does feel like we're playing much better this year compared to last and I find it odd we're only 1 point better off.
We have dropped some very silly points at times this season.

First game of the season Watford nick a draw in injury time.

Everton at home and the late penalty out of nowhere.

Arsenal away. Should have been 4 up at half-time then a collapse.

Spurs at home and the injury time penalty mayhem.

That's just off the top of my head. Didn't even include West Brom at home as we just played crap that night. Our record against the top 6 (and Everton) has been much worse this season than last but it was always going to be. We were brillaint against the top sides last season. That probably wasn't sustainable to the same level.
[Thank]
LuckyLloyd 13:21 09-04-2018 (10 Thanks)
A successful Champions League campaign in tandem of maintenance of our league form from last season is very much a success.
[Thank]
ERG89 13:28 09-04-2018
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd:
A successful Champions League campaign in tandem of maintenance of our league form from last season is very much a success.
Think not replacing Coutinho looks bad the minute Salah stopped up last week & we have no cover for the front 3; Phil not being available half the time when he was here sucked too as well as Lallana's injury & signing Van Dijk in January rather than July made us suffer a bit.
Still doing well in the champions league is a rarity for English sides now. I won't proclaim the semi spot until Thursday.
[Thank]
LuckyLloyd 13:51 09-04-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by ERG89:
Think not replacing Coutinho looks bad the minute Salah stopped up last week & we have no cover for the front 3; Phil not being available half the time when he was here sucked too as well as Lallana's injury & signing Van Dijk in January rather than July made us suffer a bit.
Still doing well in the champions league is a rarity for English sides now. I won't proclaim the semi spot until Thursday.
Even if we don't progress to the semi finals it's been a successful CL campaign in my book. We're in bonus territory past the second round.

We'll be desperately disappointed given the first leg advantage, but on a higher level we'll have to take stock positively.
[Thank]
klose 13:53 09-04-2018 (3 Thanks)
Originally Posted by ERG89:

That's the first time I've even thought of coutinho since he left, shows the quality of job klopp is doing that we sold a player of his quality mid season and still ploughed on.
[Thank]
citytillidie 14:16 09-04-2018
Everton fans, once a blue always a Manc

[Thank]
Osmosis Jones 14:20 09-04-2018
Said in here at the start of the season that a successful season for me would be finishing top 4 alongside either winning a domestic cup or making it to the CL QFs. Bar some huge upsets it's looking like we've achieved top 4 and could progress even further in the CL.
[Thank]
murpho999 14:26 09-04-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr:
Champions League semi final beckons and you're wondering what? If Liverpool are more than one point better, wait until the end of the season. Judge then, when a holistic view is possible.
Discussing our league form and if we have improved as much as we thought.

I think it's a fair question but you're probably right to wait until the end of the season and also have to allow for Champion's League games.

Also think we've had a better second half of the season compared to last year. Signing of VVD and form of Robertson has ensured we did not have the January drop like last year.
[Thank]
yourdeadwright 15:01 09-04-2018
Without doubt we have improved,
One of things that have me looking forward to the future is that it is clear where we need to improve,Oure  midfield 3 are no where need good enough , If we upgrade there and get reinforcements in other area's we will be some side,

None of the 3 sides ahead of us have an obvious weak area like us, where do City , Spurs and United need to improve ?
[Thank]
murpho999 15:04 09-04-2018
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright:
One of things that have me looking forward to the future is that it is clear where we need to improve,Oure  midfield 3 are no where need good enough , If we upgrade there and get reinforcements in other area's we will be some side,

None of the 3 sides ahead of us have an obvious weak area like us, where do City , Spurs and United need to improve ?
How is our midfield no where near good enough when they're doing so well.

City need to improve their defence as has been shown in the last week.

I would argue that Utd and Spurs also have defence issues.
[Thank]
yourdeadwright 15:18 09-04-2018

How is our midfield no where near good enough when they're doing so well.

City need  to improve their defence as has been shown in the last week.

I would argue that Utd and Spurs also have defence issues.
Out midfield has been doing a decent job as a unit but all of them can be upgraded pretty easily
Keita is that start, Jorginho hopefully, then one other,
City have spent 50 million on every position in the back five in the last 2yeard, so god help them trying to improve that,
Where do Spurs upgrade there back four its pretty solid ?,
United's whole back 4 can be upgraded but they don't concede much anyway so it won't make much of a difference to there results,
[Thank]
murpho999 15:24 09-04-2018 (1 Thanks)
Out midfield has been doing a decent job as a unit but all of them can be upgraded pretty easily
Keita is that start, Jorginho hopefully, then one other,
City have spent 50 million on every position in the back five in the last 2yeard, so god help them trying to improve that,
Where do Spurs upgrade there back four its pretty solid ?,
United's whole back 4 can be upgraded but they don't concede much anyway so it won't make much of a difference to there results,
Have you seen City's defence in the last 2 games? They definitely need to improve regardless of what they've spent.
[Thank]
SlickRic 15:25 09-04-2018 (9 Thanks)
Fellaini would be a superb addition.

He'd give the team some much needed steel, would provide some competition for Henderson in the centre of midfield, and is always a plan B should we need to get a lot more direct when chasing a game.

Nothing wrong with him as a signing at all.

[Thank]
Thanx 4 The Fish 15:29 09-04-2018 (1 Thanks)
new one here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057860573
[Thank]
Page 657 of 657
« First < 157557607647655656657

Back to Forum
Google Analytics