Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think (before the thread derailed)
    5th ? bull and castle pub near christchurch??

Sounds good to me.

Everyone must wear a red rose on their left lapel so we know who you are.

Failing that, a videogame tshirt should suffice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

I think I have a 'know your mushrooms' t-shirt anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 5th suits me. I'll save my street fighter 2 t-shirt.

Master of the Universe

I have a tshirt with a luminous green space invader on the front. You'll be able to spot me a mile off :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'll dust off my atari hoodie.
    Since we cant in arcade machines snes's and the like , feel free to bring weird handheld stuff ;) (i'll bring in a few tomytronics if ye like ;).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hah cool! The weirder the better. ;)

Anyone got a ps1 with a portable screen?

/edit - actually wait no, expensive things and nights of boozing in the pub are not a good mix.

I remember waking up after an airsoft boards.ie booze up and freaking out as I couldn't remember getting home. Problem was, I had all my airsoft gear with me in the pub at the time. Luckily enough, it was all waiting for me downstairs.

Never again though! Nevor!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Right so Friday 5th March in the Bull & Castle, I should be able to make it. What time? 7/8/9pm?

Master of the Universe

'Should'? There'll be no shoulds here! You'll either be there or kicked out of the forum! :p

I'm finished work early on Friday, so any time suits really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

:(

I'll let yous know during the week if I can make it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'll show up, even though I'm broke right now, but it'll be good craic :D If I'm really feeling it, I'll wear my Mario Survival of the Fittest t-shirt but lizardfudge will have the coolest one, man I'd love that Mushroom t-shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feck, not looking good for me on the 5th, working the next day, and I'm the boss so would end up on soft drinks, again!
    And I hate being in a pub on soft drinks!

Master of the Universe

Pff Ciderman, I'm sure you can hook yourself up to an iv the next morning ;)

Live up to that username...!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Feck, not looking good for me on the 5th, working the next day, and I'm the boss so would end up on soft drinks, again!
    And I hate being in a pub on soft drinks!

Think about our epic Halo arguments!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think about our epic Halo arguments!

Retr0: Halo is ****

/Ciderman leaves

Retr0: Donkey Kong is ****

/CCCP leaves

Retr0: Snes am better than Megadrive. & Robocop versus the Terminator is ****.

/o1s1n leaves

Retr0: The Sims is ****.

/Atavan & Sara leave.

Retr0: What did I say?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Retr0: The Sims is ****.
    /Atavan & Sara leave.
    Spell my name right please add a H or say Sera '^'
    I wouldn't leave over that I heard that millions of times, he says old school Sonic was ****, then I'd be gone
    But I can't go, so there isn't that worry about

Master of the Universe

Sera wrote: »
    Spell my name right please add a H or say Sera '^'

Sorry! Force of habit. :( I work with a German called Sara. I thought I'd typed Sera too!
    But I can't go, so there isn't that worry about

Bah!

Sorry! Force of habit. :( I work with a German called Sara. I thought I'd typed Sera too!
    Awh helpess, you're alright love. It's strange more people can remember how to spell Sera then Sarah because they spell that Sahraha!
    Bah!
    I warned you I was going into town >:

So if am to go should I bring Gameboy? DS? Game Gear?

Master of the Universe

I warned you I was going into town >:

Yeah and we'll be in town too. You gots ta stop in, ya gots ya!
    So if am to go should I bring Gameboy? DS? Game Gear?

Hmmm. DS would probably be the best option. Although it would be fun to see a table of people sitting around with handhelds from twenty years ago :pac:

I could bring my Nomad with three controllers. We could play 8 player Micro machines lol

Anyone have a 4-player hub and some cables for the Gameboy?

• Advertisement

Yeah and we'll be in town too. You gots ta stop in, ya gots ya!
    euwheh, town = Limerick city
    I've no idea where the place you're on about is

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bull+and+castle+dublin&sll=53.35301,-6.311817&sspn=0.044981,0.1684&ie=UTF8&hq=bull+and+castle&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.344089,-6.267561&spn=0.002812,0.010525&z=17

A is where you are going. Google maps is awesome :P

I won't slag the sims and Halo and Donkey Kong Country are somewhat excuseable. Robocop vs. terminator however can take a long walk off a short pier :P

Google maps awesome? me and Len used it to try get somewhere, a slight left it said, we were in the river! lol I've no idea how to even get that, I only know Temple Bar and Forbidden Planet and the foodcourt where you can get sushi
    Definately wouldn't be able to go to Dublin this week, I'd have to find somewhere to stay and all
    I won't slag the sims and Halo and Donkey Kong Country are somewhat excuseable. Robocop vs. terminator however can talk a long walk off a short pier :P
    Or old school Sonic? :<

As long as old school sonic isn't Sonic Adventure or above (exception being sonic rush) then I love old school sonic :P

It's not really that hard to find either. If you can find trinity college just head down dame street towards christ church. If you reach christ church you've gone too far. If you ask directions people should know the way. I suppose finding the place to stay is the tough part.

As long as old school sonic isn't Sonic Adventure or above (exception being sonic rush) then I love old school sonic :P
    Well I love SA and SA2 but that's as far as I go, I dunno though would it be old school tbh, it's kinda in the middle of old and new.
    It's not really that hard to find either. If you can find trinity college just head down dame street towards christ church. If you reach christ church you've gone too far. If you ask directions people should know the way. I suppose finding the place to stay is the tough part.
    Oh I know Trinity but I dunno about the Church, finding a place now is too short notice for me anyway and I'll be in my sister's most of the week and she's not internet

Next time for sure if I get enough notice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0: Halo is ****

/Ciderman leaves

Hmm, I'm not that sensitive actually!
    Perhaps the fact that the default difficulty of the Halo series is so so easy that the games are, in fact, toys meant for children who want to play a simple game of "watch the space marine smash the religious zealots", can't play Warhammer because the space marines are the religious zealots and need something easy so they can call strangers "ghay" online without fear of being hunted down and beaten with a length of lead pipe, Manhunt stylie.

Or it's still great!

That said a far more likely version of the night would be the following...

Ciderman- Gunstar Heroes, Goldenaxe and Streets of Rage suck!
    Everyone leaves.....

or

Entire group, bar the married one :) , sit shuddering in fear at being allowed out after dark, and wonder at all the girls who seem to be in the pub, given that the only girls they have ever had a converstation with were their Mother/Sister, and the wonder which one is Sera, before realising she was there all along, dressed in a Hello Kitty outfit. They didn't know it was her, they assumed it was retro!

I'm really annoyed with you saying that I'd be in a hello kitty suit. The hello kitty suit is only for saturdays not fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Retr0gamer wrote:

I won't slag the sims and Halo and Donkey Kong Country are somewhat excuseable. Robocop vs. terminator however can take a long walk off a short pier :P

And what of my beloved Commodore Amiga! It was used to do the graphics in Babylon 5, don't you know?

Oh and I can offer up a sofa space by the way if anyone needs it...

Master of the Universe

Robocop vs. terminator however can take a long walk off a short pier :P

I know what it is. Your parents wouldn't let you play it because it was so violent. Rather than succumb to the embarassment, you convinced yourself to believe that you'd made the choice and that all violent games were rubbish.

I'm on to you -_-

• Advertisement

If they did forbid me they would have been doing me a favour. Honestly, take away the license and does it really compare to the best in the run n' gun genre of which there are dozens of quality titles? If you say yes go play it again without the rose tinted specs.

Advertisement