Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ Aiden Cuddly Tariff

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well in both cases, the pads lifted. But by what your saying, if I twist off those corroded caps then it leaves the pad in place & I could then just add fresh solder on? I'll certainly try it next time, thanks for your help.

its risky doing twist,you could remove more than you think,anyways heres chap doing it on the GG,forward to 4.10-

Look just stick to your trad method :),dont want you f'ing and blinding if it went balls up :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I think this might count towards repairing, here we go

Broken SNES + super glue + body filler + paint =

DSCN2330jkljk.jpg
    DSCN2331uioi.jpg
    DSCN2332op.jpg

As you can see there was a lot of damage and discolouration to this snes. A few days of painting and repairing gave me this

DSCN2347.jpg
    DSCN2348.jpg
    DSCN2351.jpg
    DSCN2352.jpg
    DSCN2353p.jpg
    DSCN2350.jpg

Not my greatest paint job ever but it will do the job, its a lot better than when i started it. Now to get modding! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Nice work. What kind of paint did you use and how many coats etc... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just a bita plastikote, ah i dunno, 4 or 5 coats, light sanding inbetween with clear coat to finish

Get a good clear coat though, the one i have was **** and it shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

now thats nice, still a shame anpost ****ed it up on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KeithGeo's GameGear innards with minty new caps. The sound board was in a terrible state (as is usual with them) but it's all working now. Trust me Keith, your gonna think "Wtf, he didn't fix anything! The screen is as washed out & blurred as it always was"...but that's how bad they are unfortunately :(

The other GG is beyond me, I can't see anything wrong with it. I've redone the soldering on it just to be sure, & bypasses a track on the motherboard (like I showed earlier with my old soundboard) but nothings working. It's showing the power on light alright, but no video or sound. This was sold as 'semi-working' wasn't it? I suspect there's other issues with it altogether.

Anyhow, one sorted, one's a lost cause. Keep the dodgey one for a spare sound board, spare screen etc though.

34fg0fd.jpg

Another famous mod*well i hope people heard of it* using leds for backlight-

http://pipe-organ-wolf.livejournal.com/5865.html

Another famous mod*well i hope people heard of it* using leds for backlight-

http://pipe-organ-wolf.livejournal.com/5865.html

I did it & posted a pic a while back. It's not worth doing as the led's come in from the sides & is near impossible not to get bright spots on the screen. Stick with the standard cathode is my tip of the day. Yeah the battery will last longer, but the initial lcd tech is so bad that led's only help to show it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Niceone! The guy who sold me that one said it was working! ah well i dont mind, thanks for doing that! In fairness i probably melted some wires trying to do it myself!
    KeithGeo's GameGear innards with minty new caps. The sound board was in a terrible state (as is usual with them) but it's all working now. Trust me Keith, your gonna think "Wtf, he didn't fix anything! The screen is as washed out & blurred as it always was"...but that's how bad they are unfortunately :(

The other GG is beyond me, I can't see anything wrong with it. I've redone the soldering on it just to be sure, & bypasses a track on the motherboard (like I showed earlier with my old soundboard) but nothings working. It's showing the power on light alright, but no video or sound. This was sold as 'semi-working' wasn't it? I suspect there's other issues with it altogether.

Anyhow, one sorted, one's a lost cause. Keep the dodgey one for a spare sound board, spare screen etc though.

34fg0fd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

EnterNow Reminds me my order came for the GG so I will drop it down early next week if that OK..Got my Sons christening this Sat :D, so will have to be next week.....Thanks.....Must also see about getting my Spare Machines Modded...:rolleyes::rolleyes::P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

just a quick one , the master system 2 uses the same powersupply as the megadrive 2 right?
    I'm pretty sure its
    sms I=MD I
    SMS 2=MD 2

just a quick one , the master system 2 uses the same powersupply as the megadrive 2 right?
    I'm pretty sure its
    sms I=MD I
    SMS 2=MD 2

MD2/32x psu are keyed differently,MD 1+MCD 1 psu will fit and work fine on MS II

*now hit the thanks button.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Which one works on a GameGear? I tried my megadrive 2 one and it doesnt fit in, is it the megadrive 1 that works on it?

keithgeo wrote: »
    Which one works on a GameGear? I tried my megadrive 2 one and it doesnt fit in, is it the megadrive 1 that works on it?

Yes should be fine :).

MD2/32x psu are keyed differently,MD 1+MCD 1 psu will fit and work fine on MS II

*now hit the thanks button.
    ahh I just got an SMS II , but no power supply.
    Currently have an sms 1 and megadrive 2, and need to test it.
    .so , just to confuse things , I dont have a MD2 power supply, but I do have an SMS 1 psu , which is the same ....right?

i wouldn't try it unless some kind soul locally will give you a lend to test it.

Just to add there was a debate about the sega psu's here- http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=93401

I'm going to have a crack at it

In theory if an SMS 1 PSU will work on a MD1 , and an MD1 PSU will work on an SMS 2 , then an SMS 1 PSU will work on an SMS 2...probably

its a 9v 500mA ___ PSu , so as long as the SMS1 psu is similar I reckon it'll
    be fine

I've a good chance of not seeing one of these
    mushroom-cloud.jpg.
    ...probably.

found this comment over on sega8bit (was going to ask over there but for the life of me cant remember my login) so I'd say its ok
    http://shinobiman.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=accessories&thread=7587&page=1

Just make sure the polarity is right, if your changine connectors etc. There's a distinct lack of Mastersystems on Inifdeals....was it you? MS for £5 was well worth it if so.

Did the c64 land on these fair shores yet?.

• Advertisement

Did the c64 land on these fair shores yet?.

The borked one from Infideals? Nah havn't gotten near it yet man, it'll be a bit away, still have a queue of consoles here to mod for the masses. Hopefully I'll get her going & throw up some pics.

The borked one from Infideals? Nah havn't gotten near it yet man, it'll be a bit away, still have a queue of consoles here to mod for the masses. Hopefully I'll get her going & throw up some pics.

*puts on the polite hat-

The c64 is well known for the dodgy psu so could be something simple like that,i haven't came across a guide yet of adapting an modern psu to it such the odd design in it,i don't know if you powered it on so will give some links to help on way,sometimes can be a burnt chip-

About the psu- http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28946&sid=e02f55463623bfb791d638557367a5d0

One of many repair suggestions- http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33597&sid=1db439865029175b13b4c506ea9419cd

Have a nice day :).

*puts on the polite hat-

The c64 is well known for the dodgy psu so could be something simple like that,i haven't came across a guide yet of adapting an modern psu to it such the odd design in it,i don't know if you powered it on so will give some links to help on way,sometimes can be a burnt chip-

About the psu- http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28946&sid=e02f55463623bfb791d638557367a5d0

One of many repair suggestions- http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33597&sid=1db439865029175b13b4c506ea9419cd

Have a nice day :).

Cheers for the links, they may prove useful. Apparently it's turning on with power led etc, but nothings happening on screen. I know nothing about c64 repairs yet so maybe that's a known issue? I dunno, interesting to have a look at the guts of one & try repair it though.

Cheers for the links, they may prove useful. Apparently it's turning on with power led etc, but nothings happening on screen. I know nothing about c64 repairs yet so maybe that's a known issue? I dunno, interesting to have a look at the guts of one & try repair it though.

Dark screen you mean?- http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36742&sid=4b5cabcdf4046716ac5056e99247cd5d

Very possible man, I should prob test it & say for sure what's up. Does a PSU from the slimmer newer type C64 fit the old brown models?

Very possible man, I should prob test it & say for sure what's up. Does a PSU from the slimmer newer type C64 fit the old brown models?

Yes according to this- http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=449611&sid=f012a20e5a20599b08ed264b4aaffa49

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=420922&sid=e19bbf20b4b76405ea24259c6a39c5ed

Just to add the newer c64s where called c64c *to save confusion.

C64c's? Cool, cheers. I might try the psu I have over the weekend & see what happens.

Just make sure the polarity is right, if your changine connectors etc. There's a distinct lack of Mastersystems on Inifdeals....was it you? MS for £5 was well worth it if so.
    yus ,I got one (the sonic one) , missed out on the Alex kid one though.
    Nabbed a few games as well (master games/world soccer/air rescue), fair play to your man , the quoted postage was what exactly it cost.in other words he wasnt using postage to make a few quid.
    SMS I psu works fine by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just picked up an American Panasonic 3DO FZ1 for free. It was bought on eBay a while ago by my brother but he plugged it into an plug adapter and powered it up without a power inverter so it made a "bang" noise according to him and an electrical burning smell.
    So he fried it. :eek:
    I could kill him for doing it but what can ya do.

My question is can it be saved in any way or do I now have a very retro door stop?

Advertisement