Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Where's the photo?

Wanna see some other auld lads in pain!

TbL

Jazus.

I've just seen the photo.

Maybe don't post it :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

back pushing that rock up the hill...

all easy this last week
    Saturday - 14k in Tymon
    Sunday - 23k in Phoenix Park
    Monday - work and back, 7k each way
    Tuesday to Friday - in or out of work, with a loop of UCD at one end, about 14k each

Don't know how much I'll fit in this weekend, two trips to Tullamore for juvenile nationals

Plan for the next couple of months is
    Frank Duffy 10
    Lakes 10k
    Dublin race series half

I'll have about a month with no juvenile training, so will get to join in with the adult training sessions for a while...

as expected, not much running over the weekend, just 45 minutes on Sunday. Did get to see the kids win two golds and a silver :D

Nothing exciting this week -
    Jog in and out of work on Monday
    Tuesday to Friday runmute with a lap of UCD
    strides on Tuesday
    6 x 10 hills on Thursday
    about 70k so far

Hips a bit stiff on the faster runs (they were stiff on everything last week, but loosened up after a few miles, and as the week went on)

tempo run tomorrow, but last day of competition on Sunday, so another early start and day down in Tullamore...

not a lot to update...
    tempo run didn't go well - started too fast and dropped out
    no running the next day, down in Tullamore again
    stomach bug the next day, that was me fecked for the week
    back running Saturday
    fair amount of easy miles since then, and a slowish tempo with the club, and pacing Tymon parkrun on Saturday (had thought of doing a third lap to make a session of it, but I was happy enough to stop after two)
    upper legs have been fairly stiff all week, and I generally feel a long way off race fitness, so I'm going to skip the Frank Duffy, and get some more training in

• Advertisement

a couple of weeks of decent training in, starting to feel a bit better

Last week, mostly easy runs Monday to Friday, plus a pyramid session with the club on Tuesday evening. 300/600/1000/1600/1000/600/300, times nothing exciting, but a decent effort

Travelling Saturday, no time for a run

Sunday to yesterday, running around Victoria park in Hackney Wick. We were staying in an apartment overlooking the park, a couple of kms from the stadium. The place was full of runners and cyclists, especially between 7 and 8am, much busier than any park I've run in in Dublin. Three women from the Kenyan team were in there yesterday, doing their stretches at the end of the run but no other celebs spotted.

Mostly easy runs, a couple with the kid, ending with some strides on a couple of days, and one harder lap on Tuesday.

We were in for three sessions of the athletics - Sunday morning, Monday evening, and Wednesday evening. There was a great atmosphere in the stadium, especially Monday evening for the 1500m, we all really enjoyed it, all very well run. (Couldn't believe how many people didn't stay for the the 400m on Wednesday though!)

the kid has the parkrun bug, so that's my Saturday training for the next couple of weeks...

went up this Saturday with no real plan. A clubmate turned up, so I knew I wouldn't be going for the win. (thirstywork was there too, but pacing someone around) Took it fairly handy for the first k, first time up the hill. Clubmate had put in a lead already and there was a group of 5/6 behind him. When I came through the group, one of them latched on and ran beside me, so that took care of the race plan. I stopped looking at the watch then, just kept the pace honest and made sure the guy beside me was working :pac: Ran together for almost all the rest of the run, before I went on to take the glory ;)

Kid did well, 30 seconds off two weeks ago, should get close to 20 before he goes back to proper training.

Unfortunately bringing him to parkrun limits how much I can run myself in the morning, so I had to drag myself out for another 10k in the afternoon. Working on a water station at the half yesterday morning meant another afternoon run on Sunday, and blood donation this afternoon meant I had to fit in an early run this morning. Happy to get them all in though.

Tuesday
    14.9 @ 4:45
    lap of UCD and home

Wednesday
    am 7.3 @ 5:37 jog into work
    pm 11.2 @ 4:20 club session
    about a mile warm-up
    then 4 x hilly lap which is about a mile
    Laps were 6:07, 5:59, 6:11, 6:14, though I never remember to start and finish in the exact same place :)
    then a couple of k cooldown

Thursday
    lap of UCD and home

Friday
    14.4 @ 4:37
    into work, including a lap of UCD

Very tired this week, partly because I'm bringing the mileage back up, partly because of the donation on Monday I guess. But oddly enough, I'm running faster on the easy runs :confused: Not much use if I can't run faster on the faster runs!

Pacing Tymon again tomorrow, will do a third lap to make a proper tempo session out of it...

RayCun wrote: »
    Tuesday
    lap of UCD and home

Wednesday
    am 7.3 @ 5:37 jog into work
    pm 11.2 @ 4:20 club session
    about a mile warm-up
    then 4 x hilly lap which is about a mile
    Laps were 6:07, 5:59, 6:11, 6:14, though I never remember to start and finish in the exact same place :)
    then a couple of k cooldown

Thursday
    lap of UCD and home

Friday
    14.4 @ 4:37
    into work, including a lap of UCD

Very tired this week, partly because I'm bringing the mileage back up, partly because of the donation on Monday I guess. But oddly enough, I'm running faster on the easy runs :confused: Not much use if I can't run faster on the faster runs!

Pacing Tymon again tomorrow, will do a third lap to make a proper tempo session out of it...

You'll have to go back to metric as I'm trying to convert back you distance and pace to something understandable :)

Your Tue & Thur runs looks like a cut and paste job ;)

Have you any HM planned, interesting to see how you go?

TbL

Most of them are about 9 miles, at about 7.40/mile :)

yeah, the commutes are all basically the same. At some stage I'll start taking a different route through Bushy park, add a bit there, and start adding strides again at the end

Going to run the Dublin race series half - have to get a bit faster before then!

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Paced Tymon again, just under 20 minutes for the 5k, and after a minute or two of chat went out for another (2.5k) lap at the same pace.
    The kid was running well, was with me until 3k and would have been on for sub-20, but he had a pain in his knee and had to drop out :( Doesn't seem serious, he was okay again yesterday, so will be back again this coming Saturday for one last crack at it.
    Out again in the afternoon for an easy run, 10.4 @ 5:36

Sunday
    28k @4:47
    Dentists' convention in Phoenix Park, so I went to one of the traditional club long run spots instead, Bohernabreena. Ran up through Tymon and the Dodder valley, was at almost 11k by the time I got through the reservoir gates. Just as well, in a way, because I don't really know where to go once I get there. As it was, 14k brought me up along the upper reservoir, then I just turned and retraced my steps.

That's my longest run since the marathon, and I haven't done a huge number of runs of that length. So it was nice to get through it feeling that I was running well to the end. You'd forget how much more tired an extra 20/30 minutes of running can make you feel though.

120k for the week. No real problems, but my heels are a bit sore when I'm out of shoes, as if I'm stepping on lego. So I keep my runners on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sunday
    28k @4:47
    Dentists' convention in Phoenix Park, so I went to one of the traditional club long run spots instead, Bohernabreena. Ran up through Tymon and the Dodder valley, was at almost 11k by the time I got through the reservoir gates. Just as well, in a way, because I don't really know where to go once I get there. As it was, 14k brought me up along the upper reservoir, then I just turned and retraced my steps.

Dentists convention :):)

I was up at the gates myself on Sunday, but it was about 8:30 and they didn't open til 10. :(

I was up at the gates myself on Sunday, but it was about 8:30 and they didn't open til 10. :(

Were you driving? I ran through the side gate at about 9, there were more runners and cyclists around up there.

If you're driving over, there's a nursing home, Kiltipper Woods, on the other side of Kiltipper park, probably a few spaces in there. Or at the Dodder Valley car park on the Firhouse Road, a bit further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I like that description. I was in the park immediately afterwards, and between the convention ending and a bit of rain the park was almost eerily deserted. Felt like I had the place to myself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Were you driving? I ran through the side gate at about 9, there were more runners and cyclists around up there.

If you're driving over, there's a nursing home, Kiltipper Woods, on the other side of Kiltipper park, probably a few spaces in there. Or at the Dodder Valley car park on the Firhouse Road, a bit further away.

I don't think they want walkers/runners parking in that nursing home. We generally park in the car park opposite the old mill pub and run down Kiltipper road, through the nursing home and the park and that brings you out by the entrance to the reservoirs if you want to go through that way, or else do the outer loop which involves more hills and is a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't think they want walkers/runners parking in that nursing home. We generally park in the car park opposite the old mill pub and run down Kiltipper road, through the nursing home and the park and that brings you out by the entrance to the reservoirs if you want to go through that way, or else do the outer loop which involves more hills and is a bit longer.

Outer loop? Sounds interesting as I go up there once or twice a year and am always interested in variations. Where exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Murph_D wrote: »
    Outer loop? Sounds interesting as I go up there once or twice a year and am always interested in variations. Where exactly?

There is parking at the entrance to the waterworks. I assume the 'closed gates' refers to the PP. Ive never known the WW to be closed. We would run up there on saturdays and Sunday mornings early. The outside loop would be as follows, I imagine. Go past the WW entrance and uphill for about a half mile or so, then take the left turn along by the golf course. This road goes uphill, then sharply downhill to the back gate of the WW. Keep going past the back gate for another nice hilly little loop (the 'duck loop'). There is also another, even hillier variation.just After the WW entrance take the right turn up the lane. Im not familiar with it though, so cant tell you any more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Murph_D wrote: »

Something like this.

https://www.strava.com/routes/5348939

It goes around rather than through the waterworks. You can always go up the road on the way up and come back through the waterworks, cutting out some of the hills if you want.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Something like this.

https://www.strava.com/routes/5348939

It goes around rather than through the waterworks. You can always go up the road on the way up and come back through the waterworks, cutting out some of the hills if you want.

That's all on roads then? I prefer to stay off the roads, especially when there are no paths

That's all on roads then? I prefer to stay off the roads, especially when there are no paths

Pretty much all on roads yeah. Quiet roads for the most part though.

• Advertisement

Monday
    usual run around UCD and home from work, 15k @ 4:46

Tuesday
    easy jog into work 7.2 @ 5:36
    then joined in the club tempo session in the evening
    20 minutes, 5 easy, 15 minutes
    Latched on to a couple of guys for the first one, and kept out of trouble behind them, about 5k for that run
    followed the same guys on the second one but they were pushing the pace and I was feeling the fatigue. Finished well behind, and a few seconds slower per km

Wednesday
    easy in and out of work
    7.2 @ 5:28
    7.4 @ 5:37

Thursday
    as Monday, but with a few strides at the end
    16k @ 4.55

Friday
    and back in the same way
    14.3 @ 4:49

fairly tired... kids are back in training now, I'm going to have to start hitting the gym again, haven't been in all summer

Saturday
    as last week, Tymon parkrun with the kid. Good run from him, got in under the 20 (19:45). I stopped a few seconds to make sure he was okay, then went out for another lap.
    about 10k, including warm-up and cooldown

dragged myself out for another 10k in the afternoon. A slow shuffle, but every km I ran Saturday was one I didn't have to run Sunday :)

Sunday
    22.2 @ 4:46
    More dentists!
    up to the park and in at Chapelizod gate, but I had to divert right up Wellington to avoid the bikes. Went up North road, onto some of the trails, and just past Farmleigh before hitting 11km and turning back. Some of the triers were on their run on Wellington by the time I got back, but I stayed on the other side of the road and tried not to make them feel bad ;)

Home for a nap then, before heading out here for the afternoon. Didn't actually do a lot in retrospect - climbing wall, 'leap of faith', and archery were all things that only one or two people could do at a time, and there were 12 of us there - but it was good fun, and a nice way for the kids to finish their holidays. Orienteering too, and true to form, we ended up wandering through wilderness in search of a path :pac:

121km for the week, still tired

Monday
    jog into work and jog home again
    7.4k @ 5:54 in the morning
    7.9 @ 5:57 in the evening

Tuesday
    around UCD and home, 6 strides in the park near the end
    15.9 @ 4:55

Wednesday
    jog into work in the morning, 7.7 @5:42
    club session in the evening - 300/600/1000/1600/1600/1000/600/300
    only supposed to be one 1600 but the Tuesday group did two, so I had to as well :rolleyes:
    Knee was giving me trouble in the afternoon, still sore during the warmup, but I was there and warmed up, so...
    300 - 0:56 (3:00)
    600 - 2:22 (3:34)
    1000 - 3:42 (3:44)
    1600 - 6:27 (3:52)
    1600 - 6:31 (3:54)
    1000 - 3:47 (3:49)
    600 - 2:15 (3:29)
    and then my battery died...

Thursday
    Knee sore again :(
    Eventually talked myself into doing the sensible thing and running straight home, even though it meant I'd miss my weekly mileage target :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    7.3k @ 5:09
    very focused on lifting my feet quickly, pushing straight through the knee rather than letting it drift to the side

Friday
    same again - not as sore, but short route into work, staying light
    7.4 @ 4:51

will stick to shorter runs over the weekend, and try to get a session on on Tuesday or Wednesday, before the lakes 10k on the Sunday

oh, and 471km for the month, a new high, and 3222 for the year so far

more easy running over the weekend
    9.4 @ 4:57 on Saturday morning
    10.9 @ 5:03 yesterday afternoon
    9.9 @ 5:55 this morning - 20 minutes with the kid, then dropped him home and continued into work.

Feeling better now, will try a session tomorrow evening and should be okay for Sunday's race

Monday
    another easy jog home from work, 7.2 @ 5:57

Tuesday
    there's a mini-session on the Magness 10k plan I've done a couple of times, it's a nice light pre-race session: 5 minutes LT, 2 x 3 minutes 10k, 60/45/30 mile/3k pace, all with easy running in between. Stopped in Bushy park on my way home, did some drills to warm up and jumped into it. A lot of messing about with my watch at the start :rolleyes: , it didn't start the set when I expected, then I was wondering if I had the lap and start buttons mixed up, then I got them mixed up, and then... anyway
    5 minutes LT was 3:54 pace
    3 minutes were 3:40 and 3:47
    shorter bits were 3:42, 3:35, 3:29
    all of them too slow! Partly, I think, a bit out of practice at running to a defined pace, and partly still a bit stiff.

Wednesday
    into work, 10.4 @ 4:52

Thursday
    Race isn't until Sunday, so decided to give that session another go. Same warm-up etc, less fecking around with watch
    5 minutes LT was 3:43 pace
    3 minutes were 3:39 and 3:38 (but gradient adjusted to 3:40)
    shorter bits were 3:34, 3:28, 3:17
    still don't feel race sharp, but that's an improvement at least

Friday
    into work, 11.7 @ 4:47

Also realised that it was too long since I got new shoes, my existing pairs must be pretty beaten down inside, so another pair of Brooks Launch arrived today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Good luck on Sunday!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday!

Thanks, good to see you're getting back into the swing of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I've missed what race you're doing but best of luck anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in Wickla Sunday Ray.

Advertisement