Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The one opposite Lidl (or is it Aldi?) and Subway. It's about .9 miles up there, and a lap is half a mile.

10.5 miles in 1.42.27 (9.45 pace)

The perils of going out too fast... Started out at around 9.30 a mile, while I knew was faster than it should be, but it felt comfortable so I thought, what the hell. Was going fine until around mile 8, then it started to get painful. First 7 miles were 9.30 to 9.40, but mile 8 was 9.56, 9 was 10.14, 10 was 9.52, and the last half mile was 9.51. The last half mile seemed to go on for ever, and I was completely wrecked when I got home.

Still, it was a nice day, and a nice run up to and around Phoenix Park. The coming week has a shorter run, and I think I've learned my lesson.

Total this week: 21.57 miles

3.1 miles in 27.30

Was feeling good this morning, so went for an 'intervals' session. Went up to a nearby park, which is roughly square, just over .1 of a mile on each side. Ran slowly up there and around one side, then did four repetitions of one side fast (about 6 min/mile), one side recovery, before running slowly back home to finish the 3 miles.

Quite liked it as a session - it wasn't full-on, 10 metres from the finish line sprinting, but it was as fast as I'd go when doing strides. Each side was about twice the distance that I'd run when doing strides, so it was a good challenge to maintain the pace to the end. Will definitely do this again.

5.11 miles in 45.16 (8.51 pace)

Another nice run home. Splits were all 8.30-8.50, apart from the mile which included crossing the Dodder on the stepping stones outside Bushy Park and then running up the hill inside, which was 9.21. My natural easy running pace is probably about 9.30 now, so I do have to push it a little bit to stay under 9, but only a little.

90.2 miles this month, progressing nicely. The next few months are going to be over 100 - and I will get to 1000 by the end of the year.

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

RayCun wrote: »

90.2 miles this month, progressing nicely. The next few months are going to be over 100 - and I will get to 1000 by the end of the year.

I'll buy you a pair of them fancy socks to celebrate :pac:

• Advertisement

3.11 miles in 28.58 (9.20 pace)

The usual early morning easy run. I think I'll stick with the park laps until the mornings start getting dark.

Total this week: 11.31 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Bloody hell you were out running early - putting me to shame here :D

How are you finding the novice 2 plan?

My choice is pretty much between running before the kids get up, or running when they've gone to bed. Getting up early isn't too bad - the kids have broken me into it over the years - as long as I have my gear ready to go from the night before. Plus you feel virtuous all day :)
    I think I'd find it much harder to get myself out the door in the evening.

Novice 2... well, as the joke goes, so far it's all going well. August/September could be a different matter.

8.04 miles in 1.16.51 (9.33 pace)

Completely the opposite of last week's run - I kept the average pace down to the correct LSR pace for the first six miles and then, since it was a short run, did the last two at PMP. (Faster than PMP, actually, it was as hard to keep to PMP as it was to keep to LSR)

Splits - 9.59/10.06/9.47/9.55/9.48/9.50/8.37/8.26

Total this week: 19.35 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

some good running Raycun, will be following your log with interest as we have similar goals. are you running the adidas series?

• Advertisement

Yes, and looking forward to them now. Targets are
    5: sub 40
    10: sub 85
    Half: 1.50 (I'll be following pacers for that)

I've only raced 2 5ks, 2 5 miles, and a 10k though, so the 10 and the half are new territory for me...

3.01 miles in 26.10

Did some longer intervals this morning -
    A mile up to the park at 9.24
    .3 miles at 7.12
    .26 at 8.47
    .26 at 7.35 (what I hope is my 5 mile pace)
    1.19 at 8.44

Should really have been slower on the way home, and my right calf started getting tight

6.11 miles in 53.49 (8.48 pace)

Midweek pace runs step up to 6 miles from this week. I realised yesterday that this would be about the same speed and distance as the Great Ireland Run - which I raced - and on the way home decided to add an extra .1 of a mile to make up the 10k. Of course, after I stopped I remembered that 10k is .2 miles :o Will have to do it next week. Anyway, the Great Run was 6.2 miles in 53.45, today was 6.1 in 53.49, and I could have gone much faster. Nice to have such a clear sign of progress.

Calf was still a little tight today even before the run, but didn't change my stride or feel sore. I might have to stop messing around with intervals etc on my Tuesday runs and just stick to the plan. I don't want to mess up my week (or longer :eek: ) because I got a bit bored on a Tuesday morning.

Total this week: 9.1 miles

3.11 miles in 30.26 (9.48 pace)

Easy morning run

Total this week: 12.2 miles

13.53 miles in 2.14.26 (9.56 pace - all splits between 9.44 and 10.10, which I was happy with)

This was supposed to be a 12 mile run - up to the park, around the 5 mile route and home. I knew that wouldn't be long enough and I'd have to add a bit more on in the park, but figured I'd work that out when I got there. Big mistake. 9 miles into a run is not a good time for even simple calculations like "if I'm going to be finishing at 12 miles, how many miles in should I leave the park, and when does that mean I should be turning around?"

Got the (very easy) sums wrong, so found myself running down into the Glen at 10 miles, 2 miles from the exit and another 2/3 miles from home. I really wasn't on for a 15 mile run this morning - I was exhausted on Wednesday after my run home, and my calf had been feeling tight the last few days, though thankfully it didn't give me any trouble today.

Anyway, made it out of the park, up through the war memorial park, then ran across the road while the lights were with me. 13.5 miles and that was it for me. Walked about half the way home from there, stopping off for a drink in a shop (don't go anywhere without 2 euro in your back pocket), running on and off too.

Crazy tired now, but I did get to lie down for half an hour which helped. Absolutely no appetite for food, so I've been downing the chocolate milk, apple juice, and tea.

Total this week: 25.7 miles
    Total this year: 402.3 miles

Hmmm, turns out at least some of the bad feeling yesterday was the early stages of a stomach bug. Son was puking Friday night, and it got me too yesterday evening. Feel fine now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running RC, half way there with a good LSR pace...I'm jealous :D

On top of that to have a stomach bug too...:eek:

3.01 miles in 30.33 (10.08 pace)

Running Mon/Tues/Wed this week, to get an extra day's rest before the race on Saturday

6.39 miles in 56.37 (8.51 pace)

Was a little apprehensive before this run because my last two hard runs (pace last week and LSR Saturday) have turned out to be, well, hard. I was really tired after both of them. Plus I had a day less rest this week (because I wanted another day before Saturday's race), so I was expecting a hard time of it. The plan doesn't actually call for all of these midweek runs to be at pace, so I thought today I might just slog through the miles home.

But instead, it was a very nice run. Got into my stride after a couple of miles and had no problems staying at pace all the way home. Got to a small park at about 6 miles so I decided to run through it at race pace - the last .3 miles was at about 7.30 pace. Just goes to show, you can never tell...

Total this week: 9.4 miles

3.04 miles in 29.10 (9.36 pace)

Easy morning run

Total this week: 12.4 miles

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Great log, RayCun. Really shows your progress. Good luck with DCM training!

4.89 in 38.15 (7.42, 7.39, 7.56, 8.09, and 6.47 for the short one :rolleyes:

Very disappointing. The race itself went well - crowded all the way around, and as usual some people started too far forward, but at least there were no walkers in the front this time. A race this size is always going to be busy, but I think the organizers did as much as can be expected to get everyone in the right place. A longer run down the main road would have been nice to thin out the crowds a bit, but I know there's a limit to what you can get.

Anyway, start line organization was good, finish line organization was good - but they were too close together. It really sucks away the feeling of achievement to find out the course was short. Would have been a PB anyway, and I would have been happy with a 39.xx in a harder race than Sportsworld. :(

5.2 miles in 49.47 (9.34 pace)

Just an easy run to help the legs recover from yesterday, and make up some miles for the week. First couple of miles were very hard, but the last two were very easy. Didn't pay any attention to pace, just ran whatever was comfortable, which seems to have been very consistent between 9.23 and 9.39.

Total this week: 22.5 miles

3.11 miles in 30.15 (9.43 pace)

My Asics are being demoted to recovery runners, switching to the Mizunos as primary runners. The Asics felt surprisingly flat this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Are you using the same runners each day? It might be worth your while rotating a couple of pairs on alternate days to give the cushioning time to breathe and go back into shape. Do you keep track of the amount of miles you clock up on each pair?

I got the Asics back in February, and they were the only shoes I wore for about four months, but during that time I would only be running every second day. I bought the Mizunos last month because I knew I'd be running on consecutive days so wanted to be able to rotate pairs.

I'm not sure how many miles I've put on the Asics, probably about 300/400? I was planning to start rotating them out anyway, but I was surprised at the difference between Saturday, when they felt fine, and this morning, when they didn't seem to have any bounce. I got another pair last week (the Amazon sale someone pointed out) which I was going to leave to August, but I might start breaking them in sooner than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

There are a few training logs on the web that not only keep a record of your miles, but your shoes etc. eg. www.mapmyrun.com (check out the 'training log' and 'gear' sections)

If you have a few pairs of shoes, you can tell the log which pair you used for a run, and will keep track of all the miles for each set. It can even flag a warning when they get to a certain milage.

I can't have done over 500 miles in them though, sure I haven't even run 500 miles this year! :)

I'll give them another go on Thursday, just in case the lack of bounce was in my legs...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

500 miles? I'm lucky if I get 300-350 miles from a pair of shoes. Give them one more shot to make sure, but it sounds like you're getting a similar lifespan from Asics shoes to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'd be delighted if I could run up enough mileage to wear out a pair of runners!

Just caught up on your log there from the last few week! Some great training from you!! Well done :)

Advertisement