Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8.66k in 47.02 (5.26 pace)
    9.92k in 53.10 (5.21 pace)

Easy run home yesterday, followed by coaching, followed by coaching/committee meeting, followed by bed, followed by easy run in this morning. Effort still higher than it should be for that pace, but I'm hoping the effects of the donation wear off before Sunday and I'm not pushing myself at all until then to give myself a good chance of recovering.

this month: 11/118.37
    this year: 132/1396.96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    8.66k in 47.02 (5.26 pace)
    9.92k in 53.10 (5.21 pace)

Easy run home yesterday, followed by coaching, followed by coaching/committee meeting, followed by bed, followed by easy run in this morning. Effort still higher than it should be for that pace, but I'm hoping the effects of the donation wear off before Sunday and I'm not pushing myself at all until then to give myself a good chance of recovering.

this month: 11/118.37
    this year: 132/1396.96

Do you want me to see if we can create a M40PD category? :D

6.26k in 34.43 (5.33 pace)

Recovery pace run in the local park. Threw in a few heel kicks, high knees, etc on the way around to give everything a decent stretch. I'm feeling my hip again, my usual weak point...

this month: 12/124.63
    this year: 133/1403.22

Sportsworld 5 mile

Proper report later maybe, if my brain defrazzles enough for details. Short version - went through first mile in 5.55, which was grand, but the wind was pretty bad from Terenure to the KCR and back along Wainsfort Road, pace dropped down to 6.16. I was with a bunch of guys from the club which was handy for pacing - I kept one guy in sight ahead of me, someone else was doing the same behind me. Heading along Templeville Road the guy in front dropped out to retie his laces, and my pace dropped down to 6.20 for the third mile. Mile 4 I was pushing to catch up on the guys in front and get the pace back up, but it was still slow enough, 6.19. Round the 4 mile mark my clubmate came back to me, and we spent the last mile telling each other "Push on", "No, you push on" :pac: (He's faster than me but had a hard run yesterday and was still feeling it) I was trying to push on, to pass him and the couple of guys in the group around us, but I was pretty ****ed at this stage. The wind up to and around the KCR made this my slowest mile, 6.24, but I did manage some semblance of a sprint finish to hold off the guy behind me.

Official time 31:22, 62nd overall, and (I think) second M40.

and then a half mile warmdown...

this month: 13/133.3
    this year: 134/1411.89

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done Ray, that wind today was probably worth 30 seconds, sub 31 is only a matter of time.

• Advertisement

Official time 31:22, 62nd overall, and (I think) second M40.

Curses! Chip time came out at 31.17, but it looks like I came third fourth M40 - and only the top two get prizes :pac:
    (in fairness, that would have been an awfully soft time to get any sort of prize. I think a fair few club runners were out in Kildare today)

Still and all, faster than last week and I ran about 50m further today in worse conditions, so I won't complain too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

5:55 first mile? Was there a big tailwind or something? That would be your 3k pace roughly wouldnt it?

Good running though.

5:55 first mile? Was there a big tailwind or something? That would be your 3k pace roughly wouldnt it?

My 3k pace? Haven't a notion :)
    It was a combination of a fast start and a tailwind. Most of that first mile is the stretch down along Bushy Park to Terenure that we do in DCM, and the wind was at our backs there today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done again Ray, excellent time!

8.84k in 48.26 (5.29 pace)

Tired and sore recovery run...

this month: 14/142.14
    this year: 135/1420.73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on yesterday, Ray. Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Ray. And you gave more platelets during the week! I think you are single handedly keeping the James' platelet donation department open.

9.63k in 50.47 (5.16 pace)

Easy run into work. Started out feeling quite stiff, but loosened up along the way. Towards the end of the run I was attacking the (tiny) hills and running off the other side, a couple of k were in the 4.4x range.

this month: 15/151.77
    this year: 136/1430.36

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

My 3k pace? Haven't a notion :)
    It was a combination of a fast start and a tailwind. Most of that first mile is the stretch down along Bushy Park to Terenure that we do in DCM, and the wind was at our backs there today.

Ah fair enough. I just thought the slowdown was due to over exuberance over the first mile. I was gonna say your 5k pace, but that would put you ahead of Meno and we can't have that :p

Any chance of a platelet donation? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ah fair enough. I just thought the slowdown was due to over exuberance over the first mile. I was gonna say your 5k pace, but that would put you ahead of Meno and we can't have that :p

Any chance of a platelet donation? :pac:

No blood doping allowed on boards are per charter ;)..

12.84k in 64.53 (5.03 pace)

This run felt much harder than yesterday, my legs were very stiff. DOMS from Sunday perhaps. I forced myself to do some strides at the end anyway, because I do want to make them a regular thing. Wasn't really feeling it for the first few, but then I got into a better rhythm towards the end. I think the trick was breaking it into two accelerations rather than trying to go 0-60 in one. So the last few felt fast and my legs felt better after them:confused: so a good run in the end.

this month: 16/164.61
    this year: 137/1443.2

oh, and I'm no longer the most prolific poster in the main forum for the last six months, which is another win :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

oh, and I'm no longer the most prolific poster in the main forum for the last six months, which is another win :)

Who is? My guess is mr numbers

menoscemo wrote: »
    Who is? My guess is mr numbers

I'll say nothing ;)
    You're in at #5 for the main forum,#2 in Events and Pacers, and #4 in Training Logs. I might post up top 10s with the end of year awards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll say nothing ;)
    You're in at #5 for the main forum,#2 in Events and Pacers, and #4 in Training Logs. I might post up top 10s with the end of year awards...

:o I better start doing more work and less posting.

wait for Garmin to pick up satellites - check
    check time before I start running - check
    press Start on Garmin - :o

So, about 10k, in about 50 minutes, at about 5 min/k...

this month: 17/174.61
    this year: 138/1453.2

• Advertisement

8.91 in 47.45 (5.21 pace)

Into work with a bag, was surprised to see my pace under 5 min/k for a couple of k towards the end. Bit of a swollen throat though, let's hope it doesn't get any worse...

this month: 18/183.52
    this year: 139/1462.11

8.81 in 49.05 (5.34 pace)

Ran back home too. Garmin didn't get a proper lock so says I ran 6.35 for the first k :rolleyes:

this month: 18/192.33
    this year: 139/1470.92

16.17 in 84.48 (5.15 pace)

Ran up to Kilmashogue from Knocklyon with two guys from the club. I haven't run up this way at all before - pretty much all my runs start or end at my house, I very rarely drive somewhere to run (except for races), so Marlay Park would be where I turn back not, as today, almost the start of the run.
    It's an impressively steep set of climbs. Going up the first one, towards the entrance to the woods, I had a mad urge to charge straight up the road but I was soon glad I didn't :) Going up the last climb I didn't even try to stick with the runner in front, just tried to keep relaxed and keep moving (even though it was very slow).
    We followed the road looping around the top, skipping the steps up to the very top, and took a few minutes recovery on a flattish section. Then we turned a corner to see a long, tarmacced road curving down in front of us, so I said "**** it" and let go. It was a lot of fun going downhill, but I started slowing myself down almost immediately :o - I realised I had no idea what was around each corner and that if I let myself keep accelerating I would be in no position to react when I found out. Still though, even with the brakes on a little, that's probably the fastest I've ever run. (I could have taken a sub 60 400m out of that run, but there's probably some rule against it ;))
    Jogged back to our starting point, downhill all the way...

(Only bad point is that my throat is still annoying me. My breathing is fine, but swallowing is sore)

this month: 19/208.5
    this year: 140/1487.09

6.13 in 35.06 (5.44 pace)

Slow recovery run around the local park. Throat still sore so kept the heart rate super-low.

After that though, it was up to Tallaght for the Dublin Athletic team competition. The kid won his 500m heat by a mile - he spent the second half looking behind to see how far ahead he was while I yelled at him from the sidelines :pac: - and got the gold medal in the team competition:cool: He's very pleased with himself, and a bronze in the relays was gravy. Makes the hours standing around in the cold almost worth it ;)

this month: 20/214.63
    this year: 141/1493.22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Go on my/our son!! So proud :)

throat got worse, I'm knocked out, and though I could amble around a football field for 10 minutes if I really wanted to, it would be incredibly pointless. 141 days it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

throat got worse, I'm knocked out, and though I could amble around a football field for 10 minutes if I really wanted to, it would be incredibly pointless. 141 days it is...

Well done Ray, great streak.

Wise decision, you've more sense than a horse!

8.81 in 48.16 (5.29 pace)

Well enough to go back to work but, as I discovered on the way home, not really recovered enough for running. Felt very tired all the way home, will take tomorrow off too. The start of the next streak will have to wait a couple of days ;) (I was more pissed off with missing the BHAA race yesterday tbh:mad:)

this month: 21/223.44
    this year: 142/1502.03

8.75 in 46.18 (5.17 pace)

The annoying thing about coming back after illness, the constant second-guessing yourself "Is this easy? Is this easy enough? Was that a twinge? Am I working too hard? Should I slow down? If I think I should slow down, does that mean I'm working too hard and I haven't recovered yet?" :rolleyes:

this month: 22/232.19
    this year: 143/1510.78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

8.75 in 46.18 (5.17 pace)

The annoying thing about coming back after illness, the constant second-guessing yourself "Is this easy? Is this easy enough? Was that a twinge? Am I working too hard? Should I slow down? If I think I should slow down, does that mean I'm working too hard and I haven't recovered yet?" :rolleyes:

this month: 22/232.19
    this year: 143/1510.78

Yep!:)

Advertisement