Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you mean this Sega neon sign? Not sure how you'd go about attaching that to a cab - you'd need to hack something together to stand the sign into.

[

Really want one of them Sega signs for my Astro.
    This dude also sells marquee holders which look nice.
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97374.0
    Also a must for any candy cab owner who smokes is a Sega ashtray.
    official-sega-ashtray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Really want one of them Sega signs for my Astro.
    This dude also sells marquee holders which look nice.
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97374.0
    Also a must for any candy cab owner who smokes is a Sega ashtray.
    official-sega-ashtray.jpg

Yeah, I got a marquee holder from him a month or 2 ago.
    Decent quality. Also working on a custom holder as well but its going slowly.

I don't smoke but I'd really like a Taito ashtray to hold coins.
    Apparently the only way to get them is to steal them from the arcades in Japan. Any you see for sale were robbed.

Not that that should stop ya :D

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=ARCADE+ASHTRAY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

13 dollar..It has been bought:) cheers
    Coins is a good idea..I Prefer Johnny blue fag butts.
    The dilemma with getting one of those marquee holders is what graphic to put in it...
    It took me four weeks to decide on my move list holder graphic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

The dilemma with getting one of those marquee holders is what graphic to put in it...
    It took me four weeks to decide on my move list holder graphic

That's my dilemma too, I wanted a DoDonpachi one but they are a bit pricey. I'm probably going to get a mounting plate made for the neon though and go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pic of padhacks Andrew

As I mentioned, I taped everything down rather than hot gluing. If you ever need to make any changes, removing the hot glue would lift traces so in this instance tape is better.

Everything is labelled (except the ground wire which is black on both pads), & there's a common ground on both pads so thats good.

awywra.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Excellent work dude thanks a mil! Looks very neat indeed. Can't wait to hook those babies up. Got some bits from arcadeshop this morning also so plenty of work for me to be getting on with. :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pic of padhacks Andrew

As I mentioned, I taped everything down rather than hot gluing. If you ever need to make any changes, removing the hot glue would lift traces so in this instance tape is better.

Everything is labelled (except the ground wire which is black on both pads), & there's a common ground on both pads so thats good.

awywra.jpg

Looks well.

I got my pad hacks the other day. I had them made slightly differently as I had a bit of a plan but the plan turns out to be poo so I need to rewire the bloody things now.

Oh well, I live and learn.

Also, is there a way to wire in the 360 home button on the pads?

Yep EnterNow has wired them aswell. I'll need to stick a push button on the end of the P1 one so I can get back to the menu etc.

Yep EnterNow has wired them aswell. I'll need to stick a push button on the end of the P1 one so I can get back to the menu etc.

If I could get the home button wired up I was thinking one of the hidden buttons at the bottom on the control panel assembly for it.

Ideally I'd run the wires into terminal blocks,, but Andrew has those cable adapters so the bare wires probably suit in this case. I've strpped all the wire ends anyway so its all prepared :)

Yeah I wired in the guide button on both pads, its the same as start or the regular buttons. Kinda handy to have it if the console will be living inside the cab, essential for changing games etc.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    If I could get the home button wired up I was thinking one of the hidden buttons at the bottom on the control panel assembly for it.

Yeah that would work cool. I'm taking a leaf out of your book by using those lock holes as button holders - I currently have a button hanging out the side of the cp that powers on the PC. But my plan is to change that to one of those mini buttons you got and put in the left lock, then do the same with a power button for the 360 in the right lock. That leaves me with a button for the 360 home with nowhere to put it - so I'll prob just feed that out the side of the cp.
    Ideally I'd run the wires into terminal blocks,, but Andrew has those cable adapters so the bare wires probably suit in this case. I've strpped all the wire ends anyway so its all prepared :)

Yeah I didn't see the point in having them if the pads were going to sit inside the cp and feed into JST-YL type connections. Although are terminal blocks handy to get over here anyway?

Yeah I didn't see the point in having them if the pads were going to sit inside the cp and feed into JST-YL type connections. Although are terminal blocks handy to get over here anyway?

Ah just the normal power type ones, very handy to get in Woodies/B&Q :)

Hopefully it's a good sign that we haven't heard from Pyong all day, hopefully playing with his new cab as we speak. He got the good weather anyway. :)

If your getting some, bear in mind I've used Kynar wire so its quite thin...just get small diameter terminal blocks if so.

Hopefully it's a good sign that we haven't heard from Pyong all day, hopefully playing with his new cab as we speak. He got the good weather anyway. :)

Lol, I thought of him a few mins ago when I seen the clouds rolling in. Hopefully the poor fecker doesn't get caught in a shower half way through dismantling a Candy Cab at his front door :p

Actually looking at my 2 pad hacks I think the home button is already done and connected to the JAMMA fingerboard.

dsc5519.jpg

dsc5520a.jpg

I might just need to rewire it which will be handy enough.

Edit:
    This is the type of pad used on my hack:

74380.jpg

Will do thanks. I might pop down to the local hardware shop and see if they have some, might be handy to have just in case.

Re: Pyong, my spies tell me he might have received delivery around lunchtime so touch wood (or plastic) he got on ok getting it up stairs.

Actually looking at my 2 pad hacks I think the home button is already done and connected to the JAMMA fingerboard.

Yep you look sorted there for the home button. :)

Yeah looks like yours is done too Steve...why do you need to rewire them again?

Andrew, the ones in Steve's pic are the type I'd go with, but of a smaller bore given I used smaller diameter wire :)

Yep you look sorted there for the home button. :)

He has it going to the jamma fingerboard but none of the buttons work as the home button when its connected :confused:

Ah not to worry as the fingerboard is getting removed anyway and I'll just go with the normal connection that's inside the control panel.

I've got the parts here anyway so don't need to order anything.

• Advertisement

Yeah looks like yours is done too Steve...why do you need to rewire them again?

Andrew, the ones in Steve's pic are the type I'd go with, but of a smaller bore given I used smaller diameter wire :)

He has some of the buttons going to a jamma fingerboard and the rest just setup as you normally would.
    I requested it that way as I had a little project in mind for it but it just wouldn't work now.

It should be easy as he has it setup so i can rewire any button without having to solder, just unscrew that thing in the picture and stick another wire in if needed.

Cheers for the kind words lads, I have indeed received my cabinet! It's in bits at the moment though. I have the front bezel off, back panels, monitor lifted out (my god those are HEAVY!!!!!!!!) and have all that upstairs. It got through my front door just fine.

However I'm having problems removing the last 4 screws from the monitor chassis and the 3 screws either side of the cabinet that split it in half. Even with WD40 they won't budge. I'm thinking to just lift the cabinet upstairs as a whole unit and chance it. Wife is out until around 9pm though so I'm stuck. :(

Oh and I nearly punctured a vein in my hand trying to lift the monitor out the first time without gloves on!

Excellent stuff dude congrats! The monitor chassis should be fairly stable if you keep it in? As in that's not too heavy is it, so your not gaining much by removing it I would have thought.

I presume it fits up your stairs no probs? My stairs forks right at the top which tightens the angle if you get me, would be a pain to get a cab up there. What's the plan of action to lift it up - lie it on it's back and slide it up the steps or stand it up and lift step by step?

That's the problem though. In order to split the cabinet in half you need to remove the chassis as it connects to the other half of the cabinet.

My stairs fork at the top too but I think it will go up, with some jiffling about. Removing the back panels gives you lots more areas to hold on to it and at the front you could just hold the CP I think, but obviously not put too much strain on it.

I think the two of us should be able to get it up there no bother, definitely can't do this on my own though, it's far too big an ask. Ah well, I'll have to hold off until she gets home. The side bolts and the last two chassis screws I think are completely rusted in. Been trying to undo them for over an hour or so. No joy no matter what tools I use. Shifting it upstairs as one unit is really the last plan left.

God help me when I move house!

I got impatient and tried to get the cabinet up the stairs myself. Got halfway up, reached the fork and just couldn't do it on my own. Its back downstairs in the hallway for now until i can get some help.

Definite lesson learned there.

Hey Pyongyang,
    Did you discharge that monitor before taking it out?

Hey Pyongyang,
    Did you discharge that monitor before taking it out?

Nope. It just lifts straight out once you remove the power to it. I was careful not to touch the back though. Reason for me to be worried? :confused:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Nope. It just lifts straight out once you remove the power to it. I was careful not to touch the back though. Reason for me to be worried? :confused:

You should really discharge it.
    To be safe.

That was my main concern when I was taking my monitor out a few days ago.

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2009/06/10/safely-discharge-an-arcade-monitor/

• Advertisement

Cheers SteveSI, I did see about discharging but thought I'd be grand as to rotate an Astro anyway it's a similar process you just don't lift the whole thing out. I'll be extra careful putting it back in though of course.

Just wish I could loosen those darn screws, I'd have had the cabinet upstairs hours ago and be hopefully playing Blazing Star by now!

Advertisement