Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Cheers SteveSI, I did see about discharging but thought I'd be grand as to rotate an Astro anyway it's a similar process you just don't lift the whole thing out. I'll be extra careful putting it back in though of course.

Just wish I could loosen those darn screws, I'd have had the cabinet upstairs hours ago and be hopefully playing Blazing Star by now!

Cool, well be careful and maybe don't take the whole discharging the monitor thing as an optional step next time :D;)

I had some problems getting a few of the bolts off on my Egret 3 when I needed to remove the cpanel.
    But I got some proper tools and they did the job. But I think you already got some tools so not sure.

Perhaps some pure anger will work.

If it helps you at all, you said your wife is out til 9pm.
    Well actually she is with me, here, playing Blazing Star :eek: :D :cool:

Anger?? Now go remove those screws .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Hah! Nice one! I don't really do anger though, I'll end up wrecking the cab and have nothing then. Patience is key!

If my wife is at your gaf I'll ask her to rob your copy of Darius Alpha. :D

Chinese for tea (of course in China they just call it 'food') then a final push to get this cab in to the Cave!

I'm documenting it on video, the before and after of Project: Man Cave, so there'll be a video posted... Eventually.

Hah! Nice one! I don't really do anger though, I'll end up wrecking the cab and have nothing then. Patience is key!

If my wife is at your gaf I'll ask her to rob your copy of Darius Alpha. :D

Chinese for tea (of course in China they just call it 'food') then a final push to get this cab in to the Cave!

I'm documenting it on video, the before and after of Project: Man Cave, so there'll be a video posted... Eventually.

Tell her its hidden inside my CD32 copy of Rise of the Robots :D

Careful or I'll be robbing your shooting games as well as ondafly's when he lands in DUB! :D

Project: Nick Other People's SHMUPS.

By the way, while waiting, I did some reading on monitor discharging. When lifting the monitor out you don't need to discharge beforehand as you are not removing the tube from the cage. Of course best practice says you should but for this procedure it's not entirely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

By the way, while waiting, I did some reading on monitor discharging. When lifting the monitor out you don't need to discharge beforehand as you are not removing the tube from the cage. Of course best practice says you should but for this procedure it's not entirely necessary.

How do you get the monitor out without disconnecting the HT lead from the tube though? ALWAYS discharge if in doubt, it takes a few seconds & really is best practice. Oh yeah, it could save your life too :D

Ok two people can get it up the stairs but it's too big to get round the fork in the stairwell. Off to Tesco to find a hardcore screwdriver to open the cab in half.

The good one I got earlier removed the chassis bolts so I reckon the joining side screws will come Loose with a good set of screwdrivers. It's the only way to get it upstairs now. :(

Anyone got any tips for products to buy in the hardware isle that will loosen painted, rusty screws?

Anyone got any tips for products to buy in the hardware isle that will loosen painted, rusty screws?

A small coating of WD40, & leave it to soak in overnight. There was another product I seen years ago, (could have been called Rustol) that you leave to soak in for a few hours, but it was able to penetrate the metal & break rust bonds...expensive stuff though & I havn't seen it for a few years.

Thanks mate, tried lots of WD40 with no joy. The chassis bolts were rusty but a solid screwdriver took care of them. Am at Tesco now so hoping I can find a good set to break them open.

Nightmare! The things we go through for video games!

• Advertisement

Thanks mate, tried lots of WD40 with no joy. The chassis bolts were rusty but a solid screwdriver took care of them. Am at Tesco now so hoping I can find a good set to break them open.

Nightmare! The things we go through for video games!

Tell me about it :D

Just make sure & clean any excess WD off the bolts before trying to undo them..you know, usual stuff.

I've no idea what the bolts look like or how big they are, but if they are that tough to undo...look for 1/2 inch socket set & ratchet.

Not bolts but look like wood screws with a Phillips head. Just bought a 6 set in Tesco and a box of different screws. Fingers crossed!

Rusted shut. Though the screwdriver managed to turn one screw a little. Gonna leave WD40 on them overnight and try tomorrow.

Failing that can I cut them out? I have replacement screws.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You should get atavan over to piss on them, with the stuff that lad probably drinks he'd erode them in a flash. :p

Hey did you manage to fire up the cab before before trying to get it up the stairs? Everything work ok?

I didn't put a board in but it seems to power up fine. For the record I got two of the six screws out! The last one on one side is nearly out but I gave up last night. Wrecked!

Going to B&Q this morning to find a screw extractor or similar. Failing that I'm calling a pro in to cut the feckers out.

Today's update (starting to feel like a blog now!). Screws soaked in WD40 overnight. Still tighter than a nun's fanny. :(

Good news is though that I've a mate coming over who is dead handy with a drill. Gonna buy an extractor bit and try it out. Total last resort now.

I hope if anything these posts help anyone thinking of getting a cabinet and how to get one in your house. :)

So, I have a working arcade.cabinet in my man cave. Truly delighted but my God, I'm never doing this again, ever!!! :D

Well done dude, all the effort makes the end result all the sweeter. Next time just keep the thing downstairs. :D

Thanks Andrew76. Seriously, it was super hard work. Two full days it took to get that thing upstairs but when I flicked the switch and saw the Kaneko logo come up on the screen my face lit up. Such a rewarding experience.

Being forced to strip the cab to its (almost) bare bones really helped me learn a lot and understand the connections a lot more.

I'll never do this again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Until you sell it, what goes up must come down. Glad it worked out for you

• Advertisement

Heck no, no plans to sell it. :)

However I know when I move house I'll need to strip it down again. It'll be far easier though now I've replaced all the bolts, WD40'ed them and cleaned the whole cabinet up. Everything I need to know about is labelled on both sides too so I can reconnect everything in minutes.

Should be fine, if a little awkward moving house. I doubt I'll ever own a different cab as I simply haven't the room and also I don't really fancy being divorced any time soon. :p

Haha, famous last words. I remember muttering them whilst hauling a Tekken 3 cab through my house....and then again while I was shuffling the Ridge Racer cab into position :p

Ok, I've been looking for a 2 player 6 button cpanel for a while for my Egret 3 and am now thinking that maybe a 2 player 8 button panel might be better for my needs.

Something like this:

PAN037b.jpg
    PAN037.jpg

I'm trying to find one for sale but if not I'm considering converting my 2 player 4 button cpanel into the 2 player 8 button panel.
    It should look ok if it's done right as the panel would just need the 4 holes drilled below the original 4 holes.

Anyone think of a reason this is madness?
    Anyone know someone with the tools/skills to do this properly?

Basically I'm thinking it would be handy and future proof to have the buttons.
    With 8 buttons I could cover more of the xbox 360 controller and also do more in Hyperspin or whatever else I end up using on this cab.

This is my cpanel at the moment (plenty of space below the 4 buttons to do this properly and get the angles right I think):

cpanela.jpg

Edit:
    This is how starcab think the 8 button panel would be used.

PAN027m.jpg

I'd get it done professionally if you are serious about it. You could always cut them yourself with a template but for a nice, clean finish you're probably best off getting it cut properly and to size.

Out of interest is the 8 button setup more for XBOX games etc?

I don't think it's madness as long as you don't end up turning your lovely cab into something like the following monstrosity! :eek: :p

Seriously though, you did mention you at least wanted a 12B cp for fighters so maybe modding your existing cp rather than buying a new one is the way to go. I would have a think about exactly what you want the extra buttons to do and see what that means as far as extra wiring etc. I think it might be worthwhile for your 360 pad hacks for the guide button maybe? Regarding HS I would have thought it would be easier to access additional keys via your wireless keyboard.

I think I recall someone on AO having the tools for the job, maybe it was FrancoB not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

HyperSpin - anyone recommend this? Thinking of having my cab to be a Naomi and MAME/Emu-PC setup. Looking for a menu system.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    HyperSpin - anyone recommend this? Thinking of having my cab to be a Naomi and MAME/Emu-PC setup. Looking for a menu system.

I use it, fully recommend it

Yep another vote here for HS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hyperspin all the way, if your pc is fast enough for it! The menus etc can be a hog sometimes. :pac:

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I don't think it's madness as long as you don't end up turning your lovely cab into something like the following monstrosity! :eek: :p

Seriously though, you did mention you at least wanted a 12B cp for fighters so maybe modding your existing cp rather than buying a new one is the way to go. I would have a think about exactly what you want the extra buttons to do and see what that means as far as extra wiring etc. I think it might be worthwhile for your 360 pad hacks for the guide button maybe? Regarding HS I would have thought it would be easier to access additional keys via your wireless keyboard.

I think I recall someone on AO having the tools for the job, maybe it was FrancoB not sure.

Yeah, I need at least a 12B for the fighters etc but its bloody hard to get one for less than 350 euro. All i need is the panel itself, dont need any sticks or buttons but they include them and charge you stupid money.

If I modded my current panel to the 12B it would look pants as the button layout just isnt right, but the 16b would work fine as all it is is a 8B panel with another row of buttons.

Ah, nothing decided yet. Will see how it goes over the next 2 weeks and if I can get a 12B i might be happy with that.
    I'll be over in Tokyo on Monday so might see if I can source the part over there.

As for using the extra buttons in Hyperspin. They would come in very handy for non arcade games(PSX,Dreamcast,PC based fighters etc) rather than windows buttons which I think you mean.

Advertisement