Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Awesome. I'll definitely pick that up. Loved the N-Sane Trilogy.

I don't mind some turn-based games. It really makes you strategise and try to think one or two moves ahead all the time rather than reacting purely in the moment like action games. That said I've mostly only played very base-level turn based games like Pokemon & South Park.

That said, there's a serious element of chance in games like that where an attack randomly misses or something similar through no fault of your own which can be incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I love x-com but the missions with timers/set turn limits and unlimited spawning enemies can **** right off.

Preferred Xenonauts for that reason and can't wait for Xenonauts 2

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Mutant Year Zero is a much better game than Xcom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Kilboor wrote: »
    I love x-com but the missions with timers/set turn limits and unlimited spawning enemies can **** right off.

If i'm remembering right, the developers said that they added a lot more timers and stuff into XCOM 2 because they saw players were being super-conservative and tactical. They referred to it as "optimizing all the fun out of the game" and wanted to force players to push forward and take more risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Front Mission 4 was not a great game. Was massively disappointed in it. Also... doubt it was that game as it never got a European release.

Front Mission 3 though, that game was *little chef kiss* amazing.

If that was the game you played then I know why you got stuck. Nothing to do with you. The game is badly explained. You get parts for your mech, you upgrade them and then because the HP is so high it looks like you don't need to change parts as the ones you have already have higher HP. However if you upgrade those parts they become better and you get new better abilities from them.

It caught me off on my first playthrough, got to a tunnel on the way to china and intercepted by special forces and could not beat them until I figured that out. Then the game was a breeze.

Yes, you are correct, that's the one. Thought it was a PS2 one I played, but must have been the PS1. And if my hazy memory serves me correct, it as also that tunnel that got me. At the time, there weren't many in my school into gaming so nobody to discuss it with, I was too poor to buy gaming mags, and an alleged 56k dial up connection (which charged per minute) was not allowing me to check online. And yes, I had all the HP and still getting destroyed which is why I eventually gave up (and something better probably came along).

I did enjoy it up to that point though.

Re: Crash, that's some smart naming there. I like it, and will probably pick it up. Finally got around to getting the Plat on Spyro 3 last night, so that's all 3 Plat'd and I can work on the Crash Trilogy...

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

If i'm remembering right, the developers said that they added a lot more timers and stuff into XCOM 2 because they saw players were being super-conservative and tactical. They referred to it as "optimizing all the fun out of the game" and wanted to force players to push forward and take more risks.

The optimum tactic in the first X-Com was simply to sit back in cover and use overwatch and just let the enemy come on to you as they would do 95% of the time. It was quite boring hence the timer limit in X-Com 2.

Once you grasp the mechanics and rules of X-Com 2 for example the timer was almost never really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Azza wrote: »
    The optimum tactic in the first X-Com was simply to sit back in cover and use overwatch and just let the enemy come on to you as they would do 95% of the time. It was quite boring hence the timer limit in X-Com 2.

Once you grasp the mechanics and rules of X-Com 2 for example the timer was almost never really an issue.

The first game never forced you to sit in cover, people chose to do that, I didnt play like that, I varied up my tactics depending on what the mission was.

"optimized all the fun out of the game" is a great phrase because it's exactly what the developers did to the second game. The timer isnt an "issue" in that it makes the game hard, it's an issue in that it makes the game very boring and forces you to play the same way all the time

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Sieghardt wrote: »
    The first game never forced you to sit in cover, people chose to do that, I didnt play like that, I varied up my tactics depending on what the mission was.

"optimized all the fun out of the game" is a great phrase because it's exactly what the developers did to the second game. The timer isnt an "issue" in that it makes the game hard, it's an issue in that it makes the game very boring and forces you to play the same way all the time

It didn't force you to play that way, but it was the optimum way to play and also an easy way to play so human nature being what it is what most players did. Its hard to play a game in a different manner when you know there is an easier and more effective way of playing the game.

I don't see how being encouraged to move take more calculated risks is more boring than sitting in cover with overwatch select for most of the turns.

There was a general rule that once I discovered made the timer largely irrelevant. The enemy can only attack you next turn if they are already visible on screen. If they are not on screen at the end of your turn, even if the enemy discover you the next turn they would not attack you but run to cover. Knowing that you can advanced very aggressively without needing to worry about cover. As a result in my playthrough the timer was only an issue in one or two battles. I never felt I was playing the same all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Warner Bros have apparently just registered domain names for a Suicide Squad game, and a Gotham Knights game. Also another one called Suicide Squad vs the Justice League or something. I'll be disappointed if we're not getting that Court of Owls game now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wolfenstein the new colossus. I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Joke at the end was pretty good. Looks like great fun.

Looks good alright. My only concern is something read on IGN where they say Wumpa collection doesn't go towards lives (you have unlimited lives now), but rather the "collection currency of collectibles, end of level rewards". Not entirely sure what that means, collect every wumpa fruit to 100٪ the level? Can often end up spinning some of them away breaking open other boxes. There is a Retro mode where they just go towards lives like old games. Will have to wait for more info I think.

Just fewer gimmick/vehicle levels and no bazooka. Thats all I'm looking for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RIP Mixer. You will always be remembered for making some very wealthy streamers even wealthier.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1275134016103108608?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

RIP Mixer. You will always be remembered for making some very wealthy streamers even wealthier.

Wonder what all the streamers who moved to it from Twitch like Ninja will do now.

Edit. Never mind
    https://twitter.com/verge/status/1275133988093468672?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Wonder what all the streamers who moved to it from Twitch like Ninja will do now.

Looks like they're released from their contracts so could go back to Twitch. I can't imagine Facebook Gaming looks like a good prospect for the likes of Ninja/Shroud.

I'd imagine there's a good few streamers on Twitch crying over the prospect of Ninja and Shroud rejoining Twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Didnt some streamers burn their bridges with Twitch before moving to Mixer, going to be funny watching them crawl back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Facebook gaming is just so hard to use. I set up a channel and can't even find it myself never mind grow an audience :)

Shame mixer was great. Always had a lot if time for it.

Looks like they're released from their contracts so could go back to Twitch. I can't imagine Facebook Gaming looks like a good prospect for the likes of Ninja/Shroud.

I'd imagine there's a good few streamers on Twitch crying over the prospect of Ninja and Shroud rejoining Twitch.

https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/1275139749716480000?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So bizarre to me that guys playing videogames and the platforms involved are treated like football transfers. I expect one of them to be holding a Twitch shirt saying how "It's a boyhood dream to be streaming for this platform."

Guess I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Another MSFT "success" they have killed more software than they have created.

• dreamers75 wrote: »
    Another MSFT "success" they have killed more software than they have created.

From the perspective of a software engineer, they've generally done great work in the last few years. They're very different from Microsoft ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Gonna start a Facebook group. "Microsoft Use Ninja Gift Subs To Spread 5G Corona"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

whatever about the console wars,
    I for one, do not want deep facebook integration in my console.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I knew Mixer was dead when I'd boot up my Xbox one and there'd be a tile telling me that ninja was live!
    As if I gave a flying fcuk.
    It was an absolute death kneel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It was an absolute death kneel.

ooh edgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

My favourite stupid bit of gaming news this week is that Police Cars have been removed from Fortnite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Chris Avellone being accused of sexual misconduct and studios distancing themselves from him. Doesn't look good for him. He is responding but not denying allegations. I love his writing in games but this really changes my opinion of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement