Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

'Major PS3 Exclusive' to be revealed on 2nd May.

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/04/17/major-ps3-exclusive-will-be-revealed-on-may-2nd/

Hope it's 'Heavy Rain 2: It's Lashing out'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm sick of these ****ing announcements for announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Announception!

But yeah it's especially annoying when you see stories like "New Halo to be announced next week". Whatever happened to the announcement just happening. It's one of the big things most people like about E3. I like to be surprised instead of knowing everything that will be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Top-notch Sega shooter Binary Domain given PC release date

For anyone who hasn't played this yet, it's bloody great. Unfortunately it's also sold like total ass so far so hopefully the PC release generates some more sales for SEGA.

Cool, wanted to give this a go recently, but will wait for the pc release now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kiith wrote: »

just ber thankful you dont follow the pro starcraft scene
    announcing announcements all over the shop

gizmo wrote: »
    Top-notch Sega shooter Binary Domain given PC release date

For anyone who hasn't played this yet, it's bloody great. Unfortunately it's also sold like total ass so far so hopefully the PC release generates some more sales for SEGA.

Didn't interest me when I first heard of it, but since I saw it on an episode of Playr, it looked good and I hope to pick it up some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

While their actions in the Mojang issue were pretty ****ty, I have far less sympathy for this guy who starts his rebuttal with...
    "What pisses me off isn't the fact that they're looking out for their trademark - as they have every right to do so," Anderson wrote. "
    If you knew they had every right to do so, why would he choose the domain in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Seems like they have a chip on their shoulder about intellectual rights since they won their case against Interplay for the rights to Fallout Online and all fallout related material.

Bit harsh to demand the guys site as well removing the fanmade posters too. Fair play to yer man, he wont willingly give them his website and he has taken down his posters.

• Advertisement

Seems like they have a chip on their shoulder about intellectual rights since they won their case against Interplay for the rights to Fallout Online and all fallout related material.
    Why would they have a chip on their shoulder after correctly winning the suit against Interplay? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've been fooled by really good FMV before, but i'll keep an eye on this one :)

Me too,La noire comes to mind -_-

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Announception!

And another one hahaha

532688_10151508321820694_496676680693_23807261_783586294_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kiith wrote: »

The ad for the ad for the Ferris Bueller Superbowl took the biscuit.

Though the ad for the star wars car ad was better than the ad it was advertising.

So God of War 4 tomorrow then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No gameplay footage, no caring from me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

An interesting read on the Collapse of Free Radical Design.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    An interesting read on the Collapse of Free Radical Design.

that was a great read, thank you.

its shocking how publishers can bend over developers and slap their tits like that. What lucasarts did with battlefront 3 was just shocking. caning a game, which is ready. that would be some awesome BF3 in starwars universe...
    he admited that the most fun he had, was when he had a small team and could make games and having fun. no pushings and stress created by publishers.
    Its not the first time publishers destroy developers as they see games as pure investment and looking at it as mathematical formula, not something that is made to be fun.
    I would even agree to go back in gaming progress and have smaller budget games, so developers could just fund their own games. I wonder how will all these indy developers will do, when they will try to go big and get full claws up their arse of lovely publisher people :(.
    i really hope things like kickstarter will help out developers to get back on their feet and show publishers a birdy.

• Advertisement

Sega cancels Bayonetta 2 - report

****ing ****ity ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was looking forward to a futuristic ( more so than the MW type setting) call of duty game, but have read this over on Game informer.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/07/infinity-ward-activision-black-ops-ii.aspx

For anyone who's at work/school
    Treyarch’s Black Ops II marks the series’ first move into the future, but it also raises questions about the ongoing relationship between Activision and Infinity Ward. Over two years ago, details regarding the lawsuit began to appear publicly. One such detail stated that Call of Duty titles set after Vietnam would be exclusive to Infinity Ward. We recently obtained some court documents (which you can see below), and it appears that this clause was indeed included in Infinity Ward’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).

postnam.jpg

As you can see in the MOU excerpt above, Infinity Ward had the rights to all Call of Duty games set in “modern day (post-Vietnam), the near future, or distant future.” With Black Ops II’s 2025 setting, it’s clear that Treyarch went with the near future setting anyway.

With the historically stressful relationship between Infinity Ward and Treyarch, the documents suggest that the latter may have been frustrated with their restrictions.. Several documents allude to Treyarch’s repeated attempts to feature elements that would make the original Black Ops “feel more modern” or otherwise bank off of the popularity of the Modern Warfare name. One complaint revolves around the use of guns in Black Ops that weren’t designed or made available until the 1980s or 1990s. Another centers on an email from an Activision rep that initially proposed “Modern Warfare Origins” as a title for Black Ops, branding it as a prequel to Infinity Ward’s series.

rightstobrand.jpg

Infinity Ward’s MOU states that the developer had the rights to anything featuring Modern Warfare branding. Despite this, former Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella claim that Activision never provided them with the gold master of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex (the Treyarch-developed Wii port of Call of Duty 4) before the game went into production. Another claim states that Activision attempted to keep Infinity Ward in the dark regarding the development of the free-to-play Call of Duty Online title (which never materialized).

Considering that the trial is yet to happen, it's unclear if Activision could land itself in legal trouble thanks to Black Ops II's futuristic setting. I spoke with Eric Chad, an intellectual property attorney with the firm Merchant & Gould. Regarding Activision's punishment if Zampella and West win the lawsuit, Chad said "[Pulling Black Ops II from the shelves] is likely a possible remedy. This does occasionally happen, but I think it is much more likely that the remedy would be some sort of damages payment, like a forced royalty." He continued, "It seems like Black Ops II is likely substantially complete. That might make it hard for the court to order them to change it. Much more likely would be either of the remedies you discussed above [Pulling the game or facing a damage payment]. Damages, in my opinion, are the most likely."

Many of the court documents make mention of the “post-Vietnam” clause, but the current status of the agreement is unknown. I asked Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia about the matter last month, and he declined to comment. Other attempts to reach out to Activision reps have been met with similar silence (which is understandable considering they’re in relation to ongoing litigation). One likely scenario is that Activision believes the agreement was voided when West and Zampella were fired, allowing Treyarch to legally break the Vietnam barrier. Despite this, we may not know for sure until more details of the ongoing trial are made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Id be interested to see what the courts see to be the entity known as IW. We know IW now operate under the same name as the same company but with the loss of the older staff that left with west and zampalla. I wonder will activision argue that IW the entity are the owners of the modern or future warefare rights and claim that the current IW management allowed black ops 2 's setting or were the right owned by IWs past management and when they left they still hold the rights at all?

Interesting one.

Bah! Bioshock Infinite has been delayed till next year :(
    Kotaku wrote:
    This fall's much-anticipated BioShock Infinite will now be released in February 26, 2013, publisher Take Two announced this morning.

The game had been planned for an October release.
    "When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing. Since then, we've uncovered opportunities to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary," the game's creative director Ken Levine said in a press release announcing the delay this morning. "Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need to deliver the best Infinite possible, we ve decided to move the game's release to February."

http://kotaku.com/5908814/bioshock-infinite-delayed-to-2013

CVG think Bioshock was delayed to avoid competing with GTA V in October. Do people actually think it will be released in October??? I mena I really hope it will but can't see it coming out until Q1 or 2 in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

sheehy83 wrote: »
    CVG think Bioshock was delayed to avoid competing with GTA V in October. Do people actually think it will be released in October??? I mena I really hope it will but can't see it coming out until Q1 or 2 in 2013.

Pachter speculated that but if GTA does come in october(VERY unlikely imo) a lot of games will try to hit September or mid November. I read that BioShock Infinite will skip e3 too, think E3 is going to be pretty dull this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

GTR63 wrote: »
    Pachter speculated that but if GTA does come in october(VERY unlikely imo) a lot of games will try to hit September or mid November. I read that BioShock Infinite will skip e3 too, think E3 is going to be pretty dull this year.

His reasoning seems a little simplistic to put it mildly.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/346942/bioshock-infinite-delay-clears-the-path-for-october-gta-5-release-pachter/

In a note sent to investors, he later said: "We believe that October is the preferred release month for GTA V's developer, Rockstar Games, as the studio has scheduled every prior GTA releases during that month (with GTA IV delayed to April 2008, due to bugs in the PS3 version).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I really hope it's true. I don't think Rockstar have delayed anything since GTA IV.

I think Max Payne 3 was delayed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I think Max Payne 3 was delayed

Weren't red dead & a few gtas too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement