Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

• 23-04-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭

Please use this thread for discussing anything to do with the "current" event on the PGA Tour.

is this style of thread working? 32 votes

yes, keep it
    0% 0 votes
    no, ditch it
    59% 19 votes
    am I bovvered?
    40% 13 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I believe Fixdepitchmark is in talks with the PGA with regards becoming their official shot tracker of choice for this!

Billing it as epic, it's destined to fail :)
    But handy enough to have for those lesser loved tournaments that are only ever going to get a few comments.

Next up, The Zurich Classic of New Orleans.
    Dufner defends, Guan Tianlang is in the field and our own Shane Lowry is over on an invite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

I am confused about what is epic about this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I am confused about what is epic about this thread.

The size of the chip on the shoulder of the thread creator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭big_drive

Just out of interest why have a specific thread for events on the European & PGA tour?

Not sayings I've a problem with it but felt the older way of a seperate thread for each event is better. I don't see a reason for this method?

The problem I see is if a poster is still discussing the previous weeks event and a new tournament starts. The posts will then begin to overlap and it will make it harder to follow the thread.

The size of the chip on the shoulder of the thread creator.

I requested the thread and my request was dealt with swiftly & courteously by the mod who in turn created it.

More often than not, the normal tour events don't get a thread.
    More often than not, there are at least a few talking points during them.
    Unless someone creates a thread for them on a Weds/Thurs, then they are often missed.

I won't be held accountable for it being called "Epic", but maybe the creator was showing a sense of humour* :eek:

*Tests are still underway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I requested the thread and my request was dealt with swiftly & courteously by the mod who in turn created it.

Why exactly? The system worked well as it existed. If people don't post much in the thread it just means there isn't much interest in it.

I personally find superthreads or 'epic' in this case to be annoying if they aren't used regularly.

If i were to wish to review a previous tournament posts I will now have to sift through a 'epic' thread. Get me drift?

Then again since Licksy left as moderator there seems to be a lot of change for change sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭big_drive

The trouble as well will be looking back to find information from previous events. For example if I searched in title for "Honda classic 2011" it will narrow it down straight away. However in a "epic" thread I'll have to search harder for the information I require. First ill need to know the dates of the event to refine my search further.
    I don't feel the Golf forum here is overrun with topics on specific tournaments so I don't see the need for one sole thread for this. I'd urge the mods to look at this again, I feel it would be a poor idea if implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

This needs to be re-thought. Looked forward to the designated Tour threads even though some were not as popular as others.
    There's going to be some amount of crossed wires with regards to which tournament is being discussed.
    As Aidric alluded to, change for change's sake:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

storm in a tea cup.

We would fight over a tea bag for the cup here.

If feedback was still open. This idea could have been put up. Sure there was hardly anything on both tours last week. Now it is a panic.

Good idea. IMO.

And even if bad ,hope all will be more awake when there is NO thread up and Lowry leading in Euro Maxi Pad open of the Ring of Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Aidric wrote: »
    Why exactly? The system worked well as it existed. If people don't post much in the thread it just means there isn't much interest in it.

I personally find superthreads or 'epic' in this case to be annoying if they aren't used regularly.

If i were to wish to review a previous tournament posts I will now have to sift through a 'epic' thread. Get me drift?

Then again since Licksy left as moderator there seems to be a lot of change for change sake.

+1

I could not agree more with this quote. That Licksy chap always seemed a decent skin although back then I didn't get much time to post.

I find these mega threads a pain, you'll have two lads on about McDowell winning the RBS last week when everyone else is talking about the Zurich Classic, it makes it a lot more difficult to keep a track off.

I much preferred the old system of thread per event as in golf it's a lot more relevant, every week throws up a new course with different variables and different contenders, that's the beauty of the game. However a mega thread would be more relevant for Munster/Leinster when your consistently talking about the same team and players week in week out but not for the PGA Tour.

Just my 2 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

storm in a tea cup.

We would fight over a tea bag for the cup here.

If feedback was still open. This idea could have been put up. Sure there was hardly anything on both tours last week. Now it is a panic.

Good idea. IMO.

And even if bad ,hope all will be more awake when there is NO thread up and Lowry leading in Euro Maxi Pad open of the Ring of Kerry.

I'm not arguing for arguments sake:confused:
    There are two tournaments most weeks, with at least 100 players in each. That's a lot of permutations as regards who or what is being discussed (or dissed:pac:) in the one thread.
    And the amount of space taken up with posts quoting posts just to stay in context...

My thinking behind it was to cater for the events that don't get threads set up for them.
    I do see the point around some bigger events would get lost in a thread and that is a fair point.
    From the reaction of some, you would swear that having 2 threads each week is a regular occurrence.
    The fact is that there isn't (this may be more pertinent for the Euro Tour)
    A slight over reaction by some re events running into events too I think, the Spanish Open has a 9 hole playoff on Sunday... talk had well stopped by this shortly after.

I think there has only been one thread set up for the European tour this year (open to correction), that being the Spanish Open.
    Why don't I set one up each week?
    Because most of the time there's very little interest in the lead up to these events.
    That's not to say that something interesting or some talking points arise during them, and I thought it would be good to have somewhere to post if and when they do.

I also think it would be a decent idea in terms of following certain players on the tour.
    A lot of talk among my golfing mates surrounds new players on the tour, their progress, future potential etc etc. I thought a thread like this may accommodate that interest.
    There's interest in the progress of players like Siem, Aguilar, the South Africans etc etc.... not just Lowry, PH and McIlroy (who have their own threads)

Maybe it should be a general European tour (or PGA) discussion thread that caters for events that don't raise sufficient interest for someone to start a separate thread on them?

I don't believe Greebo said that all event threads HAD to go into this thread.
    Believe it or not, he can be reasonable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

My thinking behind it was to cater for the events that don't get threads set up for them.
    I do see the point around some bigger events would get lost in a thread and that is a fair point.
    From the reaction of some, you would swear that having 2 threads each week is a regular occurrence.
    A slight over reaction by some re events running into events too I think, the Spanish Open has a 9 hole playoff on Sunday... talk had well stopped by this shortly after.

I think there has only been one thread set up for the European tour this year (open to correction), that being the Spanish Open.
    Because most of the time there's very little interest in the lead up to these events.
    That's not to say that something interesting or some talking points arise during them, and I thought it would be good to have somewhere to post if and when they do.

I also think it would be a decent idea in terms of following certain players on the tour.
    A lot of talk among my golfing mates surrounds new players on the tour, their progress, future potential etc etc. I thought a thread like this may accommodate that interest.
    There's interest in the progress of players like Siem, Aguilar, the South Africans etc etc.... not just Lowry, PH and McIlroy (who have their own threads)

Maybe it should be a general European tour (or PGA) discussion thread that caters for events that don't raise sufficient interest for someone to start a separate thread on them?

I don't see where the confusion is. Anyone can post a thread about anything to do with golf, anytime.

If, as you say, there's very little interest in a subject, why would anyone post a thread? If you have an interest, no one is stopping you posting it though. It might sink to the bottom, or you might stir a bit of interest among others. That's how Boards works. It doesn't need artificial "EPIC" nonsense.

I just think you, or anyone else who has an interest in any golf event should post a thread, and people will discuss if they wish. I have no problem with that.

If you and your mates have an interest in emerging tour players, then post a topic on that, and see if others want to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So a day in and people have already decided that its doomed to failure....yet it hasnt even had a chance to run yet.

Perhaps giving it a few weeks and seeing what *actually* happens might be in order?

Why not exactly?
    Why not see how it works out rather than bash it before its even tried?

1) There wont be enough use of the threads.
    2) There will be far too much overlap

confused.com here.

For me its far easier to search through a single thread for what you want than search for the thread for that tournament and then search within that thread?

Why do you fear change so much?

GreeBo wrote: »
    So a day in and people have already decided that its doomed to failure....yet it hasnt even had a chance to run yet.

Perhaps giving it a few weeks and seeing what *actually* happens might be in order?

I'd nearly go as far as saying it's an EPIC failure so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'd say more like people are voicing their opinions that they don't see the need for this mandated change......

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Some of the negativity here is hard to believe. Many of us watch or follow almost all PGA Tour events, not just the biggies. I'd like to see if this thread works. It's handy to drop in on a thread and see what people are discussing. On a lot of them here, I like to click on the "Last Page" link, and take it from there.

If we the boards users don't like the thread, it will quickly drop away to 'net oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

Why not exactly?
    Why not see how it works out rather than bash it before its even tried?

1) There wont be enough use of the threads.
    2) There will be far too much overlap

confused.com here.

For me its far easier to search through a single thread for what you want than search for the thread for that tournament and then search within that thread?

Why do you fear change so much?
    Nice one, you get feedback and you ridicule people, how very mature of you.
    Like the old saying goes if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

LOL at the title change Greebo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

My understanding is that the statement from Greebo is in bold and so it's an order - maybe Greebo would be kind enough to confirm?

Daithio12 wrote: »
    Nice one, you get feedback and you ridicule people, how very mature of you.
    Like the old saying goes if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

There is no ridicule, I'm merely summarizing the two main arguments that I see and pointing out what I see is an inconsistency. It cant fail for both of those reasons.

Change is good.

My understanding is that the statement from Greebo is in bold and so it's an order - maybe Greebo would be kind enough to confirm?

Its a moderator posting if its in bold, its still not necessarily an order, but, tbh I think we'd all be pretty unimpressed if people deliberately started ignoring requests from moderators.
    If you'd like it to be an order by all means take it that way, but for now its an experiment to see how it runs out.

Its hardly an earth shattering change, if it works, great, if it doesnt, how bad. Maybe it will work for the Euro tour and not the PGA, again, lets just give it a chance and see. I'm amazed at the negativity towards something that hasnt even been given a chance.

From this point on please direct any comments about the two threads to the feedback thread and leave these threads for discussing the two tours only.
    This is an order. :cool:

Looks like Thursdays coverage might not all be about Guan Tianleng after all. He'll start alongside Henrik Norlander and Justin Bolli. Hardly a "marquee group", which I expected them to do. Those other two need to knock in multiple eagles just to get a mention now.
    Hope the media don't put too much pressure on the kid.

I also hope he finishes his essay in time to hand it in on Monday morning. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Guan had a triple at the 6th, his first worse-than-bogey score on Tour!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

woww 6 birds in a row from billy horschel...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

stopping play for that for **** sake. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable, 585 yard 18th...

Ken Looper needs birdie to play next week - tee shot into the water, plays 3rd as a re-teed ball.
    He then hits the right edge of the hole for birdie from 241 yards.

Looper has less than $3,000.00 in career earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

So Wells Fargo this weekend at Quail Hollow. Big talk is likely to be how bad the greens are. Veejay, Poulter and Johnson have all withdrawn most likely because of the greens.

http://www.news-record.com/home/1154508-63/quail-hollow-struggles-with-greens#continue

Photo: http://instagram.com/p/YvZ5HakYyn/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Great thread, lads. Well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement