Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another nearly week anyway. Just not fully there with the swing. Hasn’t played that good at all but still another top10 likely.

Not really shooting a great score on the easy course didn’t help him but his game is still not quite there.

Erratic with the driver, irons not quite landing right, more poor decision making and the putter went cold the last three days.

Still positive signs overall I suppose but really needs to get a win before Augusta just to give himself that winning feeling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Lip Out

A shame to see Rory's driving becoming so erratic. Again.. I don't think switching to TM's latest model each year is a good thing. Missing the fairway with his layups on the par 5s is just a no no. Hopefully he will be sharper for his next outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Lip Out wrote: »
    A shame to see Rory's driving becoming so erratic. Again.. I don't think switching to TM's latest model each year is a good thing. Missing the fairway with his layups on the par 5s is just a no no. Hopefully he will be sharper for his next outing.

Was he not leader in the field for Driving going into the last round? I didn't watch much of it but what i did watch his driving was good. His approach play was poor.
    His first bogey in the final round came from a missed green from 134yards! I would do well to mess that up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

etxp wrote: »
    Was he not leader in the field for Driving going into the last round? I didn't watch much of it but what i did watch his driving was good. His approach play was poor.
    His first bogey in the final round came from a missed green from 134yards! I would do well to mess that up from there.

He was leader in strokes gained off the tee but whenever I was watching he seemed to be in the rough off the tee - so maybe he was doing well from the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Lip Out

etxp wrote: »

From what I have seen over the last few weeks, the accuracy was poor with the driver. Length is still great. You are definitely correct that his approach play is very bad... particularly with a short iron.

541700.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

OEP wrote: »
    He was leader in strokes gained off the tee but whenever I was watching he seemed to be in the rough off the tee - so maybe he was doing well from the rough.

I think he only missed two fairways on first two days

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I think he only missed two fairways on first two days

I don't think so, I think it was he only missed 2 GIR. Looking at his stats his driving accuracy was 57% on Thursday and 27% on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Lip Out wrote: »

Over the weekend there was a 10m minute video on GolfTVs Facebook page of a guy from TaylorMade building Rory's driver for the week. He was explaining all the different specs that Rory had requested based on the conditions for that week. The impression I got was Rory has a new driver built every week with whatever spec he decides suits that week. I always assumed they'd play with a driver they are happy with for a few months/a year at least.

neddynasty wrote: »
    Over the weekend there was a 10m minute video on GolfTVs Facebook page of a guy from TaylorMade building Rory's driver for the week. He was explaining all the different specs that Rory had requested based on the conditions for that week. The impression I got was Rory has a new driver built every week with whatever spec he decides suits that week. I always assumed they'd play with a driver they are happy with for a few months/a year at least.

i watched the video, found it very good and love those videos. Maybe he is still getting used to the Sim 2 and still tinkering. I still don't think the driver was the issue this week though.

I took from it that Rory has a very basic set up. If you watch the one of DJ's build he has to put "Hot Melt" in the club head to get what DJ wants. basically just glue put inside the head on a specific side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

neddynasty wrote: »

Jaysus, that sounds like a nightmare. I wonder if that is unusual, or is it pretty standard for top players. I know myself with sports equipment I definitely don't want to have the opportunity to "blame" new equipment for my failings. But I'm a **** golfer, so maybe not applicable. What must be the case though is that having a tried and trusted club you've hit in all types of conditions and pressure situations must surely trump something your not hugely familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

OEP wrote: »
    I don't think so, I think it was he only missed 2 GIR. Looking at his stats his driving accuracy was 57% on Thursday and 27% on Friday

He missed 7 in a row at one point on Friday. That was on the easier course but so couldn’t take advantage then when playing from the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

As mentioned ,putter went cold.

Checked tracker for rounds 1,3 and 4 ( not available R2)

he missed 9 putts of 10' or less ....specifically from 4, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8,10,10 ft.....by any reckoning pretty measly for a World no.6

PGA average is 88% inside 10ft and 40% from 10ft.

Actually his distance putting was very good .just as well since his poor short irons had him in 3P territory so often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not being smart but his distance putting is good because of frequency.
    It’s cringing watching those missed greens from short irons, I’ll never forget the Irish Open in RCD (bad weather aside as they all were playing in the same conditions) where on a par 3 he missed the green by a greater distance compared to the tee shot e.g. if the distance from tee to flag was 150yds he was 151yards or greater from the green, not the pin, the green!!!
    Like missing your mouth with a fork

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Jaysus, that sounds like a nightmare. I wonder if that is unusual, or is it pretty standard for top players. I know myself with sports equipment I definitely don't want to have the opportunity to "blame" new equipment for my failings. But I'm a **** golfer, so maybe not applicable. What must be the case though is that having a tried and trusted club you've hit in all types of conditions and pressure situations must surely trump something your not hugely familiar with.

It's standard for top players. If you go to certain online golf forums, tinkering with different shaft combinations, weights, hot glue etc. seems to be a hobby for many amateur golfers too. I'm in your boat though, I don't want something else to think about / blame and I'm certainly not good enough to know if my driver could do with a dribble of glue inside the head!

slave1 wrote: »
    Not being smart but his distance putting is good because of frequency.
    It’s cringing watching those missed greens from short irons, I’ll never forget the Irish Open in RCD (bad weather aside as they all were playing in the same conditions) where on a par 3 he missed the green by a greater distance compared to the tee shot e.g. if the distance from tee to flag was 150yds he was 151yards or greater from the green, not the pin, the green!!!
    Like missing your mouth with a fork

i think i remember that, it was shocking. It makes it very frustrating to watch him. He will get your hopes up and then shatter them.

He always seems to miss on the side that you shouldn't miss on. He needs to do something. Start aiming for the middle of the green rather than pin seeking would be a good start until he gets the confidence back up.

I still think he will win 2 or 3 times this year. he played poor and was still in contention all weekend until his back 9 on the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

What's the side you shouldn't miss on? For the really long putts I can understand not wanting to leave yourself a downhill putt for your second, but I'd have thought either side is as wrong as the other in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

blue note wrote: »
    What's the side you shouldn't miss on? For the really long putts I can understand not wanting to leave yourself a downhill putt for your second, but I'd have thought either side is as wrong as the other in general.

The short side

Why is that worse?

Why is that worse?

Would you rather have a chip/pitch to a pin that's 10/15feet on from the side you are approaching or from the other side which gives you maybe 40/50ft of green to work with?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tiger was a genius at this in his prime, part of the reason for his number of victories at same venues is not that he knows the course so well but because he knew where to miss.
    Classic example was the 18th at August in 2019 when he deliberately played his approach to the middle of nowhere RHS of green as he refused to take the risk of short left or in any of the bunkers on the left, both of which leaves that horrible slope and should he leave himself high on the green there's a horrendous downhill impossible to stop at the flag putt.
    He then had the entire green to pitch into with both distance to the pin on the green and slope in his favour.
    Took is two putt bogey for the W.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Ah sorry, I completely misread your original message. I thought I read that there was a wrong side to miss a putt on. Absolutely there are better misses pitches / chips / iron shots.

I'm flicking here while working. I hope my work isn't of a similar standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Why is that worse?

Always thought the theory is that if you miss low then it couldn't have possibly gone in, but if you're aiming on the high side then generally if your pace is good then the putt has a chance of going in

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Always thought the theory is that if you miss low then it couldn't have possibly gone in, but if you're aiming on the high side then generally if your pace is good then the putt has a chance of going in

Yes that is what they say typically is the "pro miss" the high side miss as there is always a possibility of the ball breaking into the hole. If you're low the ball can't break against the slope.
    But in general most amateurs miss low...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Ah sorry, I completely misread your original message. I thought I read that there was a wrong side to miss a putt on. Absolutely there are better misses pitches / chips / iron shots.

I'm flicking here while working. I hope my work isn't of a similar standard!

Sorry, I was referring to the amount of greens he is missing at the moment from 150 yards short siding himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Nice steady even par front 9 today him :p

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Nice steady even par front 9 today him :p

His driver was fairly cold at the start!

I'm a better putter than McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mixed bag today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I'm a better putter than McIlroy

Of course you are.

• Advertisement

Of course you are.

Thank you, glad you agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement