Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Blackrock won AIL

Anyone watch the game on TG4..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I saw the 2nd half as I did not know it was on! seemed to me that railway did not really want to be there [2 players binned]. The ground looked very hard to play on. fair dues to Breen for driving Blackrock on to win.

Dan.

a combined Women’s Provinces XV will take part in a Celtic Challenge competition with teams from Wales and Scotland also set to compete

2023 Celtic Challenge – Combined Provinces XV Fixtures

Welsh Development XV v Combined Provinces XV, Sunday 29th January 2023 – Cardiff Arms Park

Combined Provinces XV v The Thistles, Saturday 4th February 2023 – Kingspan Stadium

Combined Provinces XV v Welsh Development XV, Saturday 18th February 2023 – Kingspan Stadium

The Thistles v Combined Provinces XV, Sunday 25th February 2023 – Venue TBC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Combined provinces xv. Not the best name to advertise if you are trying to sell tickets.

Glad to see the tournament is happening anyway.

Not ideal. Didn't want to call it Ireland as not capped etc. But a better "branded" name could have been beþer to brig attention to the games/team

• Advertisement

• How does this Combined Provinces XV differ from the Irish national women's team? It is just that it doesn't include Irish internationals who play overseas?

Pretty much my thought too.

As we talked about fairly recently Irish women's rugby needs to draw money so as to help rugby fund itself. Branding and marketing is a part of that.

I suspect it will also exclude any women who rejected a professional contract but are living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Really entertaining game in the Interpros btwn Leinster and Connacht on TG4 at the moment. The final score may flatter Leinster a wee bit, bit they've put together some excellent team tries in the second half and the fitness and skill levels are looking very good, despite a gale force wind giving the kickers a hard day.

All over at 38-10

Great to see a good game and to see it televised. I missed it.

Any standout players looking to push their way into the international team?

Did it look like there was a crowd at the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hard to say from the telly but a few thousand up on the main stand by the looks of it, making plenty of noise.

Yeah a load of new caps, one of which Aoife Dalton got a deserved POTM at outside centre. O'Brien and Hughes at half back forming a nice partnership now and co-Captains Haney and O'Connor working hard in the trenches.

Two great team tries got, one rolling maul and one fast hands across the line, which Connacht had no answer for.

Jenny Murphy got on the end of a couple of the 6 scores, playing like a young woman again.

• Advertisement

Saw the Munster/Leinster Interpro game yesterday. A really good game it was too. Munsters Cronin has improved greatly from last year. seems to have a bit more muscle in her legs judging by her kicking/running. is she out to make a point against Dannah Brien?

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Was a great game. Poor that they had no tmo but I was happy with the result. Nicole was like a new player yesterday compared to her Ireland games lately. Loved the engagement news too ❤️

Celtic challenge begins this weekend. Hopefully will see some coverage of this over next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kita99

munster's props were huge.

Roisin Ormond and Fiona Reidy were not only big but having eccellent handling skills.

And Eilis Cahil is superb.Ireland involve her national team and could avoid the tragety of six nations last year.

In Connacht, Scally(no4) was very impressive.I hear that she is maybe 36 or 37 years old,and career woman connected work of palalympics games,She was a famous basketball player,and has very short time rugby playing. But in the game(full time appearance) always carry the balland cut gain line.Maybe she is not different to Sam Monahan in atack.If possible,I hope that she will be involved in Ireland squad.

And ,one more thing,I wander why didn't Connacht call up Roisin Maher.Did she quit rugby?

I did see the game too, it was very good indeed Connacht were in it for a good 50 minutes but started to crumble under the Munster front row which has some serious power in it thanks to their selection of props. Munster are certainly the top side now for 2 years running. I was a bit concerned for Cronin who stayed on the pitch all the time even though she seem to be carrying a big knock since the 50th minute. I have no idea what became of Connacht's Maher but sometimes unannounced injuries can cause players to drop off the radar. Connacht played better than the score suggests. Hopefully, now our 6 nations selection will have a front row that will not be demolished like it has been for the last 2 years.

Dan.

Helps Munster a fair bit when so many of their players all play for Bohs so are very used to playing with each other. 15 out of the 23 that played Connacht currently play for Bohs and another 1 or 2 played for Bohs in recent past.

Womens game really needs another strong club in North Munster. would really benefit everyone in long term....

Strange and unfair selection for conbind province.

NO PROPS of champion team. No jenny murphy,no fiona scully.

It's looking to future. Quite a Young squad. Maybe looking at longer term options for Ireland ahead of fiona reidy etc

I understand above comment.But IRFU or HC(McWilliams) commit 3rd place in this spring 6 nations.Do they have a self-confidence these youngsquad(especially TH and players in England? And then why Eilis Cahil is not in the squad.She is no1 highest prospect player IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wonder how much commonality there will be between the combined provinces XV and the Ireland squad for the six nations. The Welsh and Scottish fans felt that their squads were almost completely development squads.

I'm not getting the feeling that this competition is a step up from the interpros (as previously advertised).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

8 Munster players, 21 leinster players.

Munster Beat Leinster and won the interpros undefeated.

If Ireland lost above 3rd place in 6N,who take the responsibility?Ms mcdarbey?Or who?Too unfaiir selection.

At Interpro matches,so many players over30(like scully,feely=conncht,reidy=munster,murphy,mcdermot=leinster,van staden=ulster etc)was verry impressive both playing and fighting spirits,but all rulled out except hanah oconnor.I think that it is indecent assault to womens.They are all roo-model woman.

There are involved some no attendant to Interpro like Breen and Djougang,They are no doubt tallented but with too little game-time,is their condition OK?

From Ulster,10 players is selected.Wonderful.

3 leinster players(without Djougang) played no game in interpro and onthe other hand Ulster 1player.Whoes position somebody know?Chloe Blackmore, Leah Tarpey, Aoife Wafer and ulsters Brittony Hogan. Mary Healy,is she in leinster(at irfu squads list)?I think she is SH of connacht. Isn't it?

Members of Sunday'conbined province v Wales was announced.IT looks their front rows too small compareed to Wales woman's squads.I think that IRFU is prepareing another pack members.sizes of Wales develope team are not made public yet. almost they play at england pro teams(sarasens etc)Is Ireland OK?I am afraid of member's physical health who don't receive little professional training compared to Wales.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats a very fair point

wales front row will be Mica Evans and Abbey Constable propping Kat Evans. 2 sarries and a Tiger front row. with 2 more pros in the reserve front row, so 5 from 6.

as far as i can make out irelands the only member of the irish starting and reserve front row who is professional is Djougang, so 1 from 6

however, irish amateur front rows have been facing professional players from england and france for years at this stage, and there hasnt been any noticeable safety fears.

Emma hooban has 13 caps, Haney 5 caps and Linda Djougang has 12 caps, the other 3 are debutants

for wales Kat Evans is the only capped player from what i can see, and has only 4 caps,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Didn't last year's Welsh front row have something like 60/70kg on ours? The equivalent of an extra woman

Players overage of 30 isnt an issue and as so many may not have played any rugby until their late teens/early 20s when in college it isnt much of an issue. many mightnt have huge playing time

Good to see combined provinces win in wales today 27-26

• Advertisement

Ireland women have not a test rugby chance after last summer.And other teams of 6 nations were all in world cup.At last summer, Irelandwon onegame(57-22) and one lost (29-10) to Japan.after that, Japan has competed in world cup pool matches and all lost 3 matches.(v Italy 8-21, v USA 17-30, v Canada5-41). That's jJapanese level.Now I have huge question.Can Ireland win against Italy and other even adding 7's members like Parsons,Flood etc after R3?

Advertisement