Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gareth178

At the moment where I work there are confined competitions for promotions to PO, AP and EO, and earlier this year there was a competition for HEO. And in 2 years there'll be the same again.

Barneystinson, are those comp's internal to your dept? have you heard anything about inter-departmental comps (for HEO specifically?) My dept. hasn't had any for over three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I know CO stands for Clerical Officer but what does AQ, PO, EO and HEO stand for please?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Can not believe that money....how would you pay a mortgage and have kids in creche etc ?

I know CO stands for Clerical Officer but what does AQ, PO, EO and HEO stand for please?

EO (Executive Officer)
    AO (Administrative officer)
    HEO (Higher Executive Officer)
    APO/AP (Assistant Principal Officer)
    PO (Principal Officer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I've applied for the job it would be a drop in wages but my jobs not secure so it would be nice to be permanent somewhere.

• Advertisement

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I've applied for the job it would be a drop in wages but my jobs not secure so it would be nice to be permanent somewhere.

Do civil servants get summers off? Or do you have to be there a long time to get it

not exactly a question i'd pose at the interview if I were you !! :>

Gareth178 wrote: »
    not exactly a question i'd pose at the interview if I were you !! :>

Haha I'm not silly enough to ask at interview that's why I'm asking here. The savings in crèche fees would make up for the decrease in wages

Haha I'm not silly enough to ask at interview that's why I'm asking here. The savings in crèche fees would make up for the decrease in wages

i think what you're referring to is "term time" where parents of children of school-going age may apply to take off unpaid leave for the period of the school holidays. It is still available as far as I know but as far as i know it's dependent on local management who take into account office operational capacity and amount of applications for "term time" received.

Obviously, it's not an entitlement and will depend on the circumstances and workload of the office that you'd be assigned to.

I could be wrong about some of the above details, but that's the gist of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

i think what you're referring to is "term time" where parents of children of school-going age may apply to take off unpaid leave for the period of the school holidays. It is still available as far as I know but as far as i know it's dependent on local management who take into account office operational capacity and amount of applications for "term time" received.

Obviously, it's not an entitlement and will depend on the circumstances and workload of the office that you'd be assigned to.

It's not just available to people with kids, sure that'd be discrimination!

for more info on it, check out

Circular 14/2009 -Shorter Working Year Scheme

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I'm on lookout for job after getting a first in my accounting and finance degree. Would like a job that is mainly 9-5 as it's just me and my daughter so I don't want to be working mad hours in a job and missing out seeing my daughter as she's only 4.

It's not just available to people with kids, sure that'd be discrimination!

point taken, barney,

I see the circular refers to it as such ...guess that's why they did away with the "term time" reference too!!! :>

"The purpose of the shorter working year Scheme is to permit civil servants to balance their working arrangements with outside commitments, including the school holiday periods of their children"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

You'd also have the option of parental leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

boobar wrote: »
    You'd also have the option of parental leave.

This is a statutory entitlement for all employees so not restricted to PS/cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Can not believe that money....how would you pay a mortgage and have kids in creche etc ?

You could say that about a huge amount of jobs in the private sector to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

ezra_pound wrote: »
    This is a statutory entitlement for all employees so not restricted to PS/cs.

Statutory entitlement is all well and good, but you need an employer who will facilitate you in taking it. The PS is much more accommodating in this regard, generally speaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I believe that all stupid people should believe something.

The fact that you believe that cronyism existed before the 80s in cs appointments doesn't mean that you can imply that it's an objective fact that is to be accepted at large because there is no evidence and you are making it up.

Some evidence of this cronyism would be nice.

If not maybe you could admit that you are talking through your... you know what.
    But you still haven't established that it ever existed in the cs. OK I'll accept you point with reference to "across Irish society as a whole". It's a strawman argument to draw from that that it ever existed in cs appointments. You are taking through your arse seriously.

Your anecdotal story is really just embarrassing. As the other poster pointed out anyone who has applied for any new entry position since 2012 will know what the actual story you were told is. Someone was obviously just trying to explain the new testing system to you. You clearly didn't understand what you were being told and made up the anecdote to suit your point.

The word deluded comes to mind.

Government parties have filled the civil service with political friends for years as well as appointing civil servants to other positions without consulting the opposition parties nor running transparent open recruitment. Gallagher from FA to the Ombudsman commission springs to mind.

Ex-Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said that persons are appointed to state boards and agencies on the basis of friendship. This begs the question of the integrity of the appointments system regarding any positions, which are related to government and that, would obviously include the civil service under that large umbrella.

In 2009 Transparency International released their report on Ireland, which found that "Significantly however, Ireland is regarded by domestic and international observers as suffering high levels of ‘legal corruption’. While no laws may be broken, personal relationships, patronage, political favours, and political donations are believed to influence political decisions and policy to a considerable degree." That report also recommended that appointments should be subject to public competition.

As for 2012, me not understanding and whatever other tripe you spewed I will say to you what I said to the other chap, you obviously do not know what competition I am referring to either considering this incident happened more recently than 2012. You it would seem, appear to be the one making things up to suit your argument. If you are both so confident as to accuse me of lying and not knowing the facts then I suggest you both feel free to avail of the pm system and inform me of which competition it is that I am referring. In fact, the whole discussion should go to pm considering how it is entirely off-topic at this stage.

You seem like a right little keyboard warrior there with the snide comments, which I don't appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

The civil service doesn't include the FA? Neither do state bodies or semi state bodies. This competition is for CO's in the civil service.

Anyway back on topic. Good luck to everyone applying.

redout wrote: »
    Government parties have filled the civil service with political friends for years as well as appointing civil servants to other positions without consulting the opposition parties nor running transparent open recruitment. Gallagher from FA to the Ombudsman commission springs to mind.

Ex-Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said that persons are appointed to state boards and agencies on the basis of friendship. This begs the question of the integrity of the appointments system regarding any positions, which are related to government and that, would obviously include the civil service under that large umbrella.

In 2009 Transparency International released their report on Ireland, which found that "Significantly however, Ireland is regarded by domestic and international observers as suffering high levels of ‘legal corruption’. While no laws may be broken, personal relationships, patronage, political favours, and political donations are believed to influence political decisions and policy to a considerable degree." That report also recommended that appointments should be subject to public competition.

As for 2012, me not understanding and whatever other tripe you spewed I will say to you what I said to the other chap, you obviously do not know what competition I am referring to either considering this incident happened more recently than 2012. You it would seem, appear to be the one making things up to suit your argument. If you are both so confident as to accuse me of lying and not knowing the facts then I suggest you both feel free to avail of the pm system and inform me of which competition it is that I am referring. In fact, the whole discussion should go to pm considering how it is entirely off-topic at this stage.

You seem like a right little keyboard warrior there with the snide comments, which I don't appreciate.

Being a member of a state board is not being a civil servant.

Celia Larkin, for instance, was not a civil servant when appointed to a board by Bertie.

Please stop. You're seriously talking xxxxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Can we get this back on topic FFS !

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »

I said since 2012. So yes that would make sense that the competition you are referring to happened SINCE 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I wonder will the online questionnaire be similar to the one for the temporary jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Working as a TCO at present and it's one of the best jobs I've ever worked in. Obviously the pay is low, the public sector is on it's knees. But look what u get in return , job security. You can't get that anyway anymore.

I think there has been a few jeering comments towards qualifications on this. I'm working with TCOs at present with no leaving cert and 20 years experience. The competition for is will be huge, ranging from fresh graduates to highly qualified professionals needing full time work. From a masters graduate who was unemployed for 12 months, apply for everything and take what u get.

Let the hunger games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I wonder will the online questionnaire be similar to the one for the temporary jobs.

Identical I'd imagine, its the same job after all only permanent.

Identical I'd imagine, its the same job after all only permanent.

I managed to get a tco contract first time I tried. The last two times though, I have only managed to get on the reserve panel. Hopefully I do better this time.

scabo33 wrote: »
    Working as a TCO at present and it's one of the best jobs I've ever worked in. Obviously the pay is low, the public sector is on it's knees. But look what u get in return , job security. You can't get that anyway anymore.

I think there has been a few jeering comments towards qualifications on this. I'm working with TCOs at present with no leaving cert and 20 years experience. The competition for is will be huge, ranging from fresh graduates to highly qualified professionals needing full time work. From a masters graduate who was unemployed for 12 months, apply for everything and take what u get.

Let the hunger games begin.

My tco contract was with the social welfare. I loved it and was gutted when I had to leave. The lack of a leaving cert was never an issue and I was well able for the work. I was never as comfortable in a job. It was my perfect job. It would be great to get the old paw in the door and get permanent.

4 of us TCO's have no end dates on our contracts, whereas 4 that had started after us do. Wonder why that is?

The 4 that have end dates were prob covering for people on leave. You are lucky. You're contract is open which means you might become permanent.

Wow, if that is the case then that's good news so! :eek:

• Advertisement

Yep. Best of luck. Hope it works out. It was my bad luck to have an end date, and the person that came in after me had an open one. He is permanent now. Argggghhhhhhhhh.

Advertisement