Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

• 03-12-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

The following prices for coal have just been posted in my local 'Buy Sell Swop' Facebook page. The prices are based on purchasing a pallet of coal & they suggest that individuals can share a pallet if they want. The merchants are in the North of Ireland, so the delivery will cost you. I think it's about €40.00 to deliver to the Dublin area. It seems like really good value.

Slack 40kg for €6
    Amber King 40kg for €7
    Champion Premium Coal 40kg for €8
    Black Diamond Blend 40kg for €10 (semi smokeless)
    Smokeless Ovoids 40kg for €12

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Where in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Coalisland, Co Tyrone. The crowd are called Coal Warehouse & if you like and share their FB page, you get 2 bags free. (As opposed to 3 bags full... :-P )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Presumably only the smokeless ovoids are legal to burn in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I actually never thought of the smokeless issue! I live out in the country, so I can burn whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Anyone has past experience buying from those guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭AlanG

Presumably only the smokeless ovoids are legal to burn in Dublin?

I'm pretty sure it is still legal to burn any coal in Dublin. It's selling it that is illegal. They are going to outlaw burning it but I don't think that it has been passed yet.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/AirQuality/SmokyCoalBan/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Well, I stumped up for a mixed pallet of champion & black diamond 40kg bags, 12 of one & 13 of the other - including delivery, working out @ a little over €10.00 per bag. I'll let ye know if all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Is that delivered to dublin?

Yes. Like I said, I committed myself to about €260 today. If it works out OK, Zi'll let ye know. If I get a ton of stones I'll be o to Joe on Livelive.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

From the link above:

Following the review of submissions received under the consultation process, several proposed enhancements and new initiatives were identified to improve the effectiveness of the existing legislation so as to consolidate air quality benefits to date, and deliver further improvements across the country into the future.
    Boundary modifications and extensions to most existing smoky coal ban specified areas, in line with Census 2011 data;
    The extension of the ban to all of Dublin County, including suburbs and satellite towns;
    The ban will be applied in six new provincial towns (with effect from 01 May 2013) because they have populations over 15,000 people - Greystones, Letterkenny, Mullingar, Navan, Newbridge and Portlaoise; Wicklow Town is also to be included following requests from members of the public, Wicklow County Council and local representatives;
    A prohibition on the burning of bituminous or smoky coal is also being introduced to complement the existing ban on the marketing, sale and distribution.

The ban on burning real coal is there for a good reason! http://www.cplfuels.ie/news/2014/03/8000-lives-saved-by-smoky-coal-ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Link to Facebook page?.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

vicwatson wrote: »
    Link to Facebook page?.?

Go to Facebook and type in "coal warehouse" and it comes up ;-)

physioman wrote: »
    Go to Facebook and type in "coal warehouse" and it comes up ;-)

Thanks. Not on Facebook, thought it might have been an open page as they don't seem to have a website, anyway thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

That article implies that there is already a ban on the burning of somky fuels.

'Ban on burning

A ban on the burning of smoky coal and other prohibited fuels now applies in all smoky coal ban specified areas to complement the ban on the marketing, sale and distribution.

There is a range of innovative smokeless solid fuel products, including smokeless coal products, available on the market. Smokeless solid fuel is cleaner as well as more carbon and heat-efficient.so can deliver climate benefits as well as improved air quality and human health benefits.

Under the Regulations all smokeless solid fuel products must be clearly labeled as “SMOKELESS FUEL”. This allows householders to make an informed choice concerning the products they purchase.'

Am I reading it right?

Thanks. Not on Facebook, thought it might have been an open page as they don't seem to have a website, anyway thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bdeal

This seems like a great deal. Could you please let us know how it works out for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JJOG

AlanG wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is still legal to burn any coal in Dublin. It's selling it that is illegal. They are going to outlaw burning it but I don't think that it has been passed yet.

Since 2012 it has been illegal to burn coal in Dublin and all 25 other urban areas where the ban applies. The text below is taken from the link you supplied, note the word 'Burning' in the title to the regulations below. Dublin are quite active at policing I believe. How would it make sense anyway to ban the sale but allow people to bring coal in from the outside and burn it!?

"Regulations

These improvements have now been given effect through new consolidating regulations - the Air Pollution Act (Marketing, Sale, Distribution and Burning of Specified Fuels) Regulations 2012 (S.I. No. 326 of 2012) (pdf, 206kb). These Regulations also incorporate the existing provisions of earlier regulations."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Always have to laugh at stuff like this, people see no wrong in it. Yet if you mention downloading a film or music the boards police are out in force

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Etnies wrote: »
    Always have to laugh at stuff like this, people see no wrong in it. Yet if you mention downloading a film or music the boards police are out in force
    The difference is this is LEGAL!!!

• Advertisement

What's the best smoky coal to buy here - 40kg ???

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

@Inspector Dhar I am very interested in seeing how this turns out for you.

I too have been checking out their deal and intended placing an order later this week (payday) and just googled them to see if there was any feedback and came across your thread. How long did they say delivery takes?

Also...

I messaged this seller on Donedeal to price delivery and they came back and quoted the delivery price that Coal Warehouse provide on their FaceBook and they also gave me the UK mobile number for Coal Warehouse so they must be operating over the boarder in Cavan with this seller:

Donedeal : Search "Evans Coal Warehouse Carrickaderry Clontibret"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Also...

I messaged this seller on Donedeal to price delivery and they came back and quoted the delivery price that Coal Warehouse provide on their FaceBook and they also gave me the UK mobile number for Coal Warehouse so they must be operating over the boarder in Cavan with this seller:

Donedeal : Search "Evans Coal Warehouse Carrickaderry Clontibret"

I thought Clontibret was in Monaghan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I would be interested in this, but cannot find any comments on their FB either negative or positive which concerns me.
    Has anybody purchased and can they confirm quality ?

Big Lar wrote: »
    I would be interested in this, but cannot find any comments on their FB either negative or positive which concerns me.
    Has anybody purchased and can they confirm quality ?

Inspector Dhar bought some at the end of last week but not sure when it due for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

What's the best smoky coal to buy here - 40kg ???

Best coal is black diamond, pinky/red front on the bag. It costs around 17-18 per 40kg bag reputable supplier, usually a good co-op.

The carbon tax has done nothing but bring cheap terrible dangerous s#1t coal to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

anyone buy from this crowd?Whats the verdict ?

I placed an order with them this morning.

I went with...
    5 x 40kg of Smokeless Ovoids (€12 per bag)
    20 x 40kg Champion Premium Coal (€8 per bag)

When you like and share their FaceBook Page they give you 2 free bags on your pallet so it knocked off €16 for 2 of the Champion Premium Coal bags which brought the price down to €204, I asked them to round it down to €200 which they did :)

Delivery to Cork is €64.58 so in total it cost €264.58 which I was very happy with.

How it works is...
    1. You need to ring ACE who are the couriers on 018702822 / 018702836 and pay them for the collection/delivery first.
    2. You then ring the office for the Coal Warehouse (O Neill's Coal Warehouse) on 04887740911 (give it about 10 min I was told as they need to wait on an email from ACE to confirm shipping is paid) and give them your order.
    3. Wait for delivery ha

It is a bit of back and forth on the phone between the courier and the coal warehouse when you place the order originally, but it is worth it at that price. Apparently delivery takes 2-3 business days, so I will hopefully have it by the weekend so will let you all know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I placed an order with them this morning.

I went with...
    5 x 40kg of Smokeless Ovoids (€12 per bag)
    20 x 40kg Champion Premium Coal (€8 per bag)

When you like and share their FaceBook Page they give you 2 free bags on your pallet so it knocked off €16 for 2 of the Champion Premium Coal bags which brought the price down to €204, I asked them to round it down to €200 which they did :)

Delivery to Cork is €64.58 so in total it cost €264.58 which I was very happy with.

How it works is...
    1. You need to ring ACE who are the couriers on 018702822 / 018702836 and pay them for the collection/delivery first.
    2. You then ring the office for the Coal Warehouse (O Neill's Coal Warehouse) on 04887740911 (give it about 10 min I was told as they need to wait on an email from ACE to confirm shipping is paid) and give them your order.
    3. Wait for delivery ha

It is a bit of back and forth on the phone between the courier and the coal warehouse when you place the order originally, but it is worth it at that price. Apparently delivery takes 2-3 business days, so I will hopefully have it by the weekend so will let you all know how it goes.

What's the price difference between what you are getting and the equivilant in cork

Advertisement