Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Mid life crisis might be the nail on the head alright.
    I think he's struggling to adapt to the fact that his body won't always do what he wants it to do anymore, and is finding it hard/impossible to curb his instinct to beat the cover off the ball.
    When you see him on the range hitting controlled, smooth shots, it looks like he'd never be in trouble, but when he gets on the course its just a wild slash at the ball. Much like his old buddy Phil !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another day grinding it out on the range sorting out the short game.... or perhaps not... http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/02/tiger-woods-lindsey-vonn-ski-race-photos.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon he's done. Out of the worlds top 100 for the 1st time since 1996.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tiger-woods-drops-out-of-top-100-for-first-time-since-96-1.2158518

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I reckon he's done. Out of the worlds top 100 for the 1st time since 1996.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tiger-woods-drops-out-of-top-100-for-first-time-since-96-1.2158518

Ranking is 100% irrelevant, I doubt he will receive any restriction imposed by any tournament anywhere if he wants to compete...it all boils down to how long now and if it's six months or more then there will be stigma attached...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If he plays at the Master's which I don't think he will then he will struggle to make the cut. That amount of time without competitive golf will hurt his game and lets face it, it wasn't great when he did try make a comeback

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

slave1 wrote: »
    Ranking is 100% irrelevant, I doubt he will receive any restriction imposed by any tournament anywhere if he wants to compete...it all boils down to how long now and if it's six months or more then there will be stigma attached...

I think you've put a meaning on my post that wasn't intended.

My point was that Woods has fallen way down the rankings at this point, his body isn't in great nick, his short game is in tatters, & his head is fried.

His last major win was in 2008 and I genuinely think there's no way back from where he is now.

He is and always will be a big draw for spectators, so if he's looking for invites he'll get plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I wonder how different things would be had he not hit the pin on the par 5 in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Or not crashed the Escalade, but gotten away ?

Tilikum wrote: »
    I wonder how different things would be had he not hit the pin on the par 5 in 2013.

Often wondered the same. Hits a perfect shot which has birdie written all over it and in the end, ends up 4 shots worse than what would have probably been a 4. After that... it's a case of what could have been..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Whether you love him or hate him, there's no denying the excitement when he's in the hunt on the back 9 in Augusta. Can you imagine himself and Rory going head to head?!

• Advertisement

Now out of the top 100.

First time since 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote: »
    Often wondered the same. Hits a perfect shot which has birdie written all over it and in the end, ends up 4 shots worse than what would have probably been a 4. After that... it's a case of what could have been..

Yes, the only time in golfing history a player got a bad break. You would have thought Adam Scott would have had the decency to surrender the title to him. At the very least the tournament record should carry as *asterisk to denote that the result was tainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

First Up wrote: »
    Yes, the only time in golfing history a player got a bad break. You would have thought Adam Scott would have had the decency to surrender the title to him. At the very least the tournament record should carry as *asterisk to denote that the result was tainted.

Bad break??? He should have been DQ'd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Loire wrote: »
    Whether you love him or hate him, there's no denying the excitement when he's in the hunt on the back 9 in Augusta. Can you imagine himself and Rory going head to head?!

Personally I wouldn't be excited. I'd prefer to see Bubba or Stenson or Sergio or Fowler push Rory (that's if he's in contention).......actually almost anyone bar Woods.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ha ha, Tiger and the pin, I think the point being made is that if he had not hit the pin he would have gone on to win The Masters that year and what impact would that have had on Tiger's game, pingate itself is best left alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

stockdam wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be excited. I'd prefer to see Bubba or Stenson or Sergio or Fowler push Rory (that's if he's in contention).......actually almost anyone bar Woods.

Mind if i ask why?

Must have killed you to see him win 14 majors?

Bad break??? He should have been DQ'd!!

No, no, no - you don't understand. The rules of golf are for other people. If you are Tiger, a lost ball in a works yard gets you a free drop and the gallery can be brought in to shift a boulder out of the way.

No, no, no - you don't understand. The rules of golf are for other people. If you are Tiger, a lost ball in a works yard gets you a free drop and the gallery can be brought in to shift a boulder out of the way.

Perhaps you need to educate yourself on the rules of golf... or do you make them up to boost your argument?

23-1/3
    Assistance in Removing Large Loose Impediment

Q.May spectators, caddies, fellow-competitors, etc. assist a player in removing a large loose impediment?

A.Yes.

Perhaps you need to educate yourself on the rules of golf... or do you make them up to boost your argument?

23-1/3
    Assistance in Removing Large Loose Impediment

Q.May spectators, caddies, fellow-competitors, etc. assist a player in removing a large loose impediment?

A.Yes.

A one ton+ boulder is not "loose" and only a sycophantic rules official (if asked) would have agreed it was. A good part of the spirit of the game died that day.

A one ton+ boulder is not "loose" and only a sycophantic rules official (if asked) would have agreed it was. A good part of the spirit of the game died that day.

Well then was the boulder fixed? Did the spectators fail in their efforts to move it?

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    Mind if i ask why?

Must have killed you to see him win 14 majors?

Why would it have killed me; such a weird thing to say? Woods' time has passed and although it would be some feat if he wins another major there are other better players at present. I'd rather watch Stenson against McIroy.

I'll turn your line back on you......It must kill you to see him a shadow of himself.

Time marches on and Woods is nowhere near the player he was. I'd rather see a young up and coming young unknown player winning than Woods. Woods' short game isn't good enough and come to think of it neither is his long game. He hasn't shown any form this year and I don't expect that to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

He got a bad break at the Open in 2012 too. Triple bogey after a shiddy lie in the bunker on the 6th hole.

Hogan won 6 majors after his almost fatal car crash. It's not outside the realms of possibility for a rejuvenated Tiger to win another big one.

People had Nicklaus written off before the Masters in 1986 as washed up too.

Well then was the boulder fixed? Did the spectators fail in their efforts to move it?

I guess any pro who knew the rules would have tried the same thing. However the boulder was an integral part of the course and it wasn't placed there by accident or blown there by the wind. It didn't seem right at the time and for me the spectators shouldn't help a player move a boulder of that size. In fact it could have crushed somebody's foot.

Woods didn't do anything wrong.

I guess any pro who knew the rules would have tried the same thing. However the boulder was an integral part of the course and it wasn't placed there by accident or blown there by the wind. It didn't seem right at the time and for me the spectators shouldn't help a player move a boulder of that size. In fact it could have crushed somebody's foot.

Woods didn't do anything wrong.

Yeah I completely agree with all of the above. It should be reversed in the decisions section and removed.

The problem I have is people coming along and saying "Oh, that was cheating, he made up his own rules" when it's quite clear that it is expressly permitted within the rules.

Similarly regarding the Masters disqualification... the committee chose to rely 33-7 to waive disqualification.... yet people suggest they made up rules to keep Tiger in the tournament. By all means, remove 33-7 but don't blame the player for the committee's decision to invoke the said rule.

Yeah I completely agree with all of the above. It should be reversed in the decisions section and removed.

The problem I have is people coming along and saying "Oh, that was cheating, he made up his own rules" when it's quite clear that it is expressly permitted within the rules.

Similarly regarding the Masters disqualification... the committee chose to rely 33-7 to waive disqualification.... yet people suggest they made up rules to keep Tiger in the tournament. By all means, remove 33-7 but don't blame the player for the committee's decision to invoke the said rule.

I don't think anyone is saying he makes up his own rules. I am however saying that there have been several high profile instances when the rules were applied to him in a way so exceptional and generous as to be unfair on other players. The lost ball in the works yard was the most extreme of these.

A player's ability to move a "loose" impediment should not be based on the size of his gallery. The spirit of the rule (and the game) would and should have been that if the player and his caddy can't shift it, it ain't loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Why would it have killed me; such a weird thing to say? Woods' time has passed and although it would be some feat if he wins another major there are other better players at present. I'd rather watch Stenson against McIroy.

I'll turn your line back on you......It must kill you to see him a shadow of himself.

Time marches on and Woods is nowhere near the player he was. I'd rather see a young up and coming young unknown player winning than Woods. Woods' short game isn't good enough and come to think of it neither is his long game. He hasn't shown any form this year and I don't expect that to change.

Haha. I never said anything about wanting to see woods competing I am merely curious to your apparent dislike for him. I couldn't care less tbh.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Haha. I never said anything about wanting to see woods competing I am merely curious to your apparent dislike for him. I couldn't care less tbh.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

It's more apathy towards him. If he wins another major or tournament then he'll deserve it. My original reply was about being excited if he was head to head coming down the stretch and I replied that I'd rather see other people.

As far as I'm concerned he's gone and there are other players in the world that are playing much better. He once made the rest look ordinary but I think that even at his best he would be pushed close or maybe bettered by McIroy at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think the only thing stopping Tiger winning another major is his physical health.
    Tiger well able to do a Clarke say.

So, sadly with a back - you rarely get back to your best.

What Paul O'connell has done since his surgery is truly amazing .

But with golf - the back is so key.

It's more apathy towards him. If he wins another major or tournament then he'll deserve it. My original reply was about being excited if he was head to head coming down the stretch and I replied that I'd rather see other people.

As far as I'm concerned he's gone and there are other players in the world that are playing much better. He once made the rest look ordinary but I think that even at his best he would be pushed close or maybe bettered by McIroy at his best.

Some pro said recently......

Tiger 2001 - 2008 played the best golf that's ever been played. You should go back watch the ridiculous things he did time after time to win. Holes he HAD to eagle to give himself a chance of winning......he'd eagle. Time and time again he'd hole putts. Mcilroy is nowhere near woods in my humble opinion and never will be. He doesn't have what Tiger had. I find golf a complete zzzzFest without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DiegoWorst

valoren wrote: »
    He got a bad break at the Open in 2012 too. Triple bogey after a shiddy lie in the bunker on the 6th hole.

Hogan won 6 majors after his almost fatal car crash. It's not outside the realms of possibility for a rejuvenated Tiger to win another big one.

People had Nicklaus written off before the Masters in 1986 as washed up too.

+1

Advertisement