Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The writing seems terrible, painfully bad Bombshell tier one liners and "jokes" spewed constantly destroying the atmosphere of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hopefully the tremendous game-play papers over the little flaws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm worried about the gameplay as well considering it came from the Killzone guys and features Ubisoft towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Zero interest in this, even if the reviews are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

RasTa wrote: »
    Zero interest in this, even if the reviews are positive.

Did you just comment on a topic, stating you have no interest in the topic? :D

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Did you just comment on a topic, stating you have no interest in the topic? :D

I guess I did. I did see an ad for this on TV today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Embargo is up this morning & it seems to be getting positive reviews. One I'm definitely picking up later in the year as I'm buying a switch.
    Slowly the PS4 is starting to get some decent exclusives with this, Yakuza 0, Nioh & Persona 5 due soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

ERG89 wrote: »
    Embargo is up this morning & it seems to be getting positive reviews. One I'm definitely picking up later in the year as I'm buying a switch.
    Slowly the PS4 is starting to get some decent exclusives with this, Yakuza 0, Nioh & Persona 5 due soon.

I'd say ps4 already has decent exclusives IMO

bloodborne, uncharted 4, until dawn, last gaurdian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't say it's getting mostly positive reviews other than from sites you should ignore and give every triple A game a good write up. Eurogamer are painting it as another generic open world game and usgamer who sang the game's praises gave it 2.5 out of 5 citing generic open world game play bad story and boring protagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lifted these from Reddit Review Thread
    Ars Technica - Approved
    Horizon is huge in every way that counts, and it should be celebrated for doing what too many games don't these days: telling an enthralling, time-consuming journey that's already complete on the disc—and one we'll remember for years to come.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5
    Horizon: Zero Dawn has been a long time coming, but it is finally here and it does not disappoint at all. Featuring a likeable new protagonist in Aloy alongside a compelling story, the game will keep you invested, whether through the main story or even the countless side quests that add more lore to this intriguing world. Complete with a deep combat system and stunning visuals, Guerrilla Games has already raised the bar for exclusives this year with Horizon: Zero Dawn.

CG Magazine - 8.5/10
    Horizon Zero Dawn isn’t out to break the mould, but at the end of the day that doesn’t matter. Guerilla has made a sprawling, gorgeous, tight gameplay experience that anyone with a PlayStation should pick up.

Destructoid - 7.5/10
    Horizon Zero Dawn is a fascinating premise wrapped in a tortilla of tropes. It has detective vision, radio towers, skill trees, masked load screens (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland gets no credit for popularizing this in 2005, by the way), and a world map littered with billions of points of interest -- all stuff you've seen before. But after you set up and execute a cunning plan to decimate a pack of giant robot crocodiles and that smile hits your face, it's more excusable.

Easy Allies - 4.5/5
    Horizon Zero Dawn feels like a franchise in the making. While not packed with narrative high points, it’s still a compelling introduction to a world in turmoil that answers a lot of questions, but still gestures toward a more climactic future. Its primary element, squaring off against mechanized animals, is such a success, it makes up for the ongoing repetition of the game’s activities. When we look into Horizon’s future, we see a sequel that can take this world and make it into something remarkable.

GameInformer - 8.8/10
    None of Horizon's faults stopped me from sinking 55 hours into the game, or walking away supremely satisfied with the experience. Horizon may not be a revolution for the open-world genre, but it is a highly polished and compelling adventure that proves Guerrilla is more than a single franchise.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5/5

Like a real ecosystem, Horizon: Zero Dawn is brilliantly balanced. Aloy feels like an inextricable part of it, halfway between prey and predator. Whether you’re climbing cliff-faces with a weightless, fluid joy, hunting, or travelling through the landscape, Horizon: Zero Dawn takes you on a tour of discovery. An endless sense of wonder and awe push you onward no matter what you’re doing. The more time I spend in Horizon: Zero Dawn’s world, the less I want to leave.

GameSpot - 9/10
    This is first departure from the Killzone series for developer Guerilla Games, and though you might think the team took a risk by stepping out of its FPS comfort zone to create a third-person open-world action game, you'd never know it was their first rodeo. For every minor imperfection, there's an element of greatness that recharges your desire to keep fighting and exploring Zero Dawn's beautiful and perilous world. Guerilla Games has delivered one of the best open-world games of this generation, and redefined its team's reputation in the process.

Giant Bomb - 5/5
    Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date, and I suspect I'll go back in after the fact to clean up whatever side quests and errands I have remaining, if only to spend a little more time in that world.

God is a Geek - 9.5/10
    There’s so much to enjoy, and you’re never going to run out of cool stuff to do. The Carja AI is a little poor at times (if you see a dead body, making a song and dance about it!), and the GPS waypoint system can be misleading, but these are minor issues. This game is damn near perfect, and you’ll going to absolutely love it.

IGN - 9.3/10
    Across a vast and beautiful open world, Horizon: Zero Dawn juggles many moving parts with polish and finesse. Its main activity - combat - is extremely satisfying thanks to the varied design and behaviors of machine-creatures that roam its lands, each of which needs to be taken down with careful consideration. Though side questing could have been more imaginative, its missions are compelling thanks to a central mystery that led me down a deep rabbit hole to a genuinely surprising - and moving - conclusion.

Jim Sterling - 9.5/10
    Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more “open sandbox” games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I’ve been glued to it for days and days and I don’t want it to end. I love existing in this world – a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights.

Polygon - 9.5/10
    Those duller moments are a footnote, however, and they did little to slow down the game's momentum and my interest in it. Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
    Horizon: Zero Dawn is a bit of a slow burn, but there’s more to Guerrilla Games’ latest than just its staggeringly pretty graphics. The story surprises as it takes several twists and turns and explores the past, but the games beating heart is with its excellently tense and engaging robotic monster hunting.

Twinfinite - 5/5
    Horizon Zero Dawn is a treat to every PS4 owner. Its magical world is a wonder to explore, it controls and looks exceptional, and the unique, modular build of its enemies ensures that combat never gets old. Yes, items could have been more accessible, and I was left with more questions than answers by the end, but these were mere speed bumps in the bigger picture. Horizon Zero Dawn is the PS4’s first major exclusive of 2017, and it couldn’t have gotten much better.

US Gamer - 2.5/5
    Horizon Zero Dawn is disappointing. It has a story that I struggled to care about (complete with massive expository dumps—yay), a bland protagonist, and overtly repetitive and constraining missions that worked against its open world sensibilities. When Horizon Zero Dawn hit its rare strides—from its gloomy Cauldrons to traveling across its sprawling vistas—it only made me wish the rest of the game were as worthwhile.

I think I'm sold anyway, will be picking up at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ooh Jim Sterling gave it a glowing review, definitely gonna pick it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ooh Jim Sterling gave it a glowing review, definitely gonna pick it up now.

Colin Moriarty apparently says it's better than Uncharted 4, and is the best PS4 exclusive yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's getting mostly positive reviews other than from sites you should ignore and give every triple A game a good write up. Eurogamer are painting it as another generic open world game and usgamer who sang the game's praises gave it 2.5 out of 5 citing generic open world game play bad story and boring protagonist.

It has a meta critic rating of 89 from 65 reviews, I think we can take it that it's a decent game anyway

Barlett wrote: »
    It has a meta critic rating of 89 from 65 reviews, I think we can take it that it's a decent game anyway

I wouldn't trust an awful lot if them but the ones I do trust seem to be mixed. Jim Sterling on particular is a surprise as I would expect him to be ambivalent to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

I wouldn't trust an awful lot if them but the ones I do trust seem to be mixed. Jim Sterling on particular is a surprise as I would expect him to be ambivalent to this one.

Well that's true, sure like everything really you'll have to play it to decide yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Well, I agree that AAA games do usually get 80+ on Metacritic even if they're not that good, but very few get into the high eighties and the ones that usually do are excellent.

87 and above last year:

Uncharted 4
    Overwatch
    Dishonored 2
    Forza 3
    Titanfall 2
    Battlefield 1
    Civ 6
    DOOM

I have played and thoroughly enjoyed most of those games, so even if it's an AAA, if it's getting 89 on Metacritic I think that's a pretty damn good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Even most of the positive reviews seem to confirm my fears about the story, script and game design.

Basically if you were hoping for an interesting RPG this is a complete failure, if you just wanted an open world game with robot dinosaurs you're good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sounds very boring.
    Even though the reviewer likes the game, he admits there is little to no story...and most of the time is fighting the 24 variants of the machines

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Does anyone else miss linear games? open world has become the main go to trope over the last 5-6 years. We need more well crafted linear titles like, The Last Of Us, Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. Sorry not meaning to thread hijack here, just popped into my head when reading some of the comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Does anyone else miss linear games? open world has become the main go to trope over the last 5-6 years. We need more well crafted linear titles like, The Last Of Us, Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. Sorry not meaning to thread hijack here, just popped into my head when reading some of the comments here.

yep those are my sort of games that I would 100% replay again and again.

last guardian
    evil within
    alien isolation
    resi7 have scratched that itch aswell thankfully

its just open world games are a chore to replay again IMO it's why I trade everyone of them in when I complete it bar gtav the only open world game I have played twice

• Advertisement

Jim Sterling gave The Last Guardian a 6.5.

He is dead.

biggebruv wrote: »
    yep those are my sort of games that I would 100% replay again and again.

last guardian
    evil within
    alien isolation
    resi7 have scratched that itch aswell thankfully

its just open world games are a chore to replay again IMO it's why I trade everyone of them in when I complete it bar gtav the only open world game I have played twice

I think the problem is I just dont have time/patience for open world games any more (Bar Witcher 3 and GTA V). I think that if you were to do a study on it you would see the older the demo graphic, the more like they are to spend time in linear games etc.

He is dead.

He clearly played a different game than I did. Despite the control/camera frustrations it was a terrific game

He is dead.

On the money imo. It's a game about a boy and his box he uses to climb up ledges he can't reach. The box happens to look like a dog cat thing.

I could have lived with that but the janky play mechanics and framerate really negatively affected the game ad well as just being a very uninteresting puzzle game. He was one of the few brave enough to call it out on it.

On the money imo. It's a game about a boy and his box he uses to climb up ledges he can't reach. The box happens to look like a dog cat thing.

I could have lived with that but the janky play mechanics and framerate really negatively affected the game ad well as just being a very uninteresting puzzle game. He was one of the few brave enough to call it out on it.

Yet he gives this a 9.5, Watch Dogs 2 a 9 and COD the same score as TLG.

He has jumped the shark and is better ignored these days. Similar to Polygon but at least they do decent features.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yet he gives this a 9.5, Watch Dogs 2 a 9 and COD the same score as TLG.

He has jumped the shark and is better ignored these days. Similar to Polygon but at least they do decent features.

As much as I like Jim's videos, as a game reviewer he's pretty inconsistent. He slated Mad Max for repetitive side missions yet praised the cell shaded Transformer game even tho you fought the exact same enemies through two locations types the entire game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Yep, that had been my mantra for a couple of years. I'd been away from gaming for quite a while and when I came back everything was 'open-world'. They all seemed so scattershot and unwieldy, not to mention the absurd pacing where you take a break from saving the world to collect flowers and pigeons. I just missed the strong, authorial hand of a well-scripted, linear game.

But then I played Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 in 2016, and I'm currently playing through GTAV and The Phantom Pain. It's going to be hard to go back to strictly linear games. In fact it was hard, because I found A Thief's End a chore to get through (for a number of reasons to be fair), despite its many virtues.

Bloodborne is the perfect middle ground. A semi-open world with an environment and narrative that makes sense whether you blast through it at speed or spend hours and hours exploring every nook and cranny. GTAV also amazes me with how its story ebbs and flows with its open world. The mission structure allows for you to head off shopping or bike riding and yet the narrative never collapses in on itself the way other games do. It makes sense and feels believable.

I also played The Witcher 3 last year. It was an astounding game but it encapsulates the best and worst of an open world. The more you do in the game, the more time you spend seeing everything, the more the pacing destroys itself. That's the nature of open world games, and RPGs in particular, so I don't blame CD Project Red. They created a superb game, so good in fact that it highlighted the absurdity at the heart of that particular design philosophy better than any game that came before it.

I still wouldn't call myself an out and out open world fan. For every one of them that I've beaten there's two or three that I traded in after a few hours. But the very best of them, games like Bloodborne and GTAV, offer something that I now believe a linear game can't match. I used to think that they were odd curiosities, fun little sandboxes to be enjoyed while the serious gaming experiences were to be found elsewhere, usually in older games from 'my era'. But I've come around, dragged kicking and screaming into the 2010s.

Venom wrote: »
    As much as I like Jim's videos, as a game reviewer he's pretty inconsistent. He slated Mad Max for repetitive side missions yet praised the cell shaded Transformer game even tho you fought the exact same enemies through two locations types the entire game.

Well I thought the Transformers game was a blast and Mad Max was one of those boring WB open world games that just relied on awful batman combat.

Also wasn't watchdogs 2 meant to be great?

That's the beauty of good reviewing. It's a personal opinion and not giving a score that everyone else will agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

jim sterling is generally fairly spot on imo, must wait for acg's review as well. Seems to be getting 80-90% across the board though so something must be good with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well I thought the Transformers game was a blast and Mad Max was one of those boring WB open world games that just relied on awful batman combat.

Also wasn't watchdogs 2 meant to be great?

That's the beauty of good reviewing. It's a personal opinion and not giving a score that everyone else will agree on.

I just found that last Transformer game to be very boring and once you got past the comic style graphics the actual gameplay was very samey.

WD2 was a stutterfest on PC when it came to driving.

Advertisement